Bag Policy is Ridiculous

northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
I know, I know here come the comments about how much do you need to carry into a show. But this is really irritating. My travel purse is 6.5" X 7.5" and has been allowed without issue into every concert and sporting even I have ever been to. 
Now I can't even bring that. But the pockets on my husband's shorts are bigger than 4.5" X 6.5". Are they going to make him take his damn pants off at the gate. Hell no. Just women getting the shaft at PJ shows these days.
Now I have to try and find something in the next week that fits my phone, id, hair ties, earplugs, etc that I bring to a show.
Anything you lose from being honest
You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

Comments

• ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Evidently the bag policy is a little more relaxed tonight from what they told me at the door, but I had already decided to scale back what I was carrying on because of how much hassle it was on Wednesday night. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited August 2018
    PromoWest venues have the same policy.  It's not just PJ.  I did bring a slightly larger bag to Wednesday nights show in Columbus because my Epi Pen will not fit into the index card sized bag.  $600 and I didn't want it to fall out of my cargo shorts pocket. Outside show + yellow jacket allergy = not an option for me.  Security passed it through.  

For inside shows at the same venue, I have a zippered wallet that I use with the lil purse strap from my Epi Pen sized bag.  

Yes, men's pockets are larger than what is allowed for women to bring as a purse.  Pretty well convinced that women are not the ones creating these policies.  They would understand that sometimes I need to carry a few items that more than fill a wallet on a string.  :wink:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • SHSH Posts: 8
    deadendp said:
    PromoWest venues have the same policy.  It's not just PJ.  I did bring a slightly larger bag to Wednesday nights show in Columbus because my Epi Pen will not fit into the index card sized bag.  $600 and I didn't want it to fall out of my cargo shorts pocket. Outside show + yellow jacket allergy = not an option for me.  Security passed it through.  

For inside shows at the same venue, I have a zippered wallet that I use with the lil purse strap from my Epi Pen sized bag.  

Yes, men's pockets are larger than what is allowed for women to bring as a purse.  Pretty well convinced that women are not the ones creating these policies.  They would understand that sometimes I need to carry a few items that more than fill a wallet on a string.  :wink:
    Safeco indicated on their Twitter that it is Pearl Jam's policy. So definitely not the venue .
    I walked through with my cinch backpack, put it on the table, opened it and said, "my insulin pump supplies are in this little bag and my glucose monitor..." He cut me off and said he didn't need to see any of it and waved me through. He literally did not glance in my bag let alone any of the zippered pouches in it. It is a weird policy. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:

Wait, the wallet is on a string or the items you need to carry? :confounded:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:

Wait, the wallet is on a string or the items you need to carry? :confounded:
    You are married to a woman.  Stop and think about that for a minute. :smirk:
    SH said:
    deadendp said:

Safeco indicated on their Twitter that it is Pearl Jam's policy. So definitely not the venue .
    I walked through with my cinch backpack, put it on the table, opened it and said, "my insulin pump supplies are in this little bag and my glucose monitor..." He cut me off and said he didn't need to see any of it and waved me through. He literally did not glance in my bag let alone any of the zippered pouches in it. It is a weird policy. 
    In this case it isn't the venue, but ladies need to know that occasionally it is the venue policy and sometimes it is just special instruction from the band.  

Do they search through other bags using drum sticks?  They did that at Cincy 2014.  Maybe not knowing what supplies you had, perhaps he was either concerned about sticking himself or contaminating your supplies.  Glad that they didn't give you grief.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    I know, I know here come the comments about how much do you need to carry into a show. But this is really irritating. My travel purse is 6.5" X 7.5" and has been allowed without issue into every concert and sporting even I have ever been to. 
    Now I can't even bring that. But the pockets on my husband's shorts are bigger than 4.5" X 6.5". Are they going to make him take his damn pants off at the gate. Hell no. Just women getting the shaft at PJ shows these days.
    Now I have to try and find something in the next week that fits my phone, id, hair ties, earplugs, etc that I bring to a show.

Wear your husband's shorts. Problem solved.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728

What's he going to wear then? Also they are ugly so no.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    edited August 2018

Yup -- this is what I've resorted to. Now there are 2 of us wearing cargo shorts. (wasn't there a thing about how lame it was to wear cargo shorts awhile back?) He only gets slightly annoyed when I forget a stuff in there and he wears them to work (or out) :p 
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Was at the 8th show in Seattle.  Security guard told my wife and I that LiveNation told them two hours before the gates open of the size instructions.  Security beyond the gates were instructing folks to store their purses in the storage lots down the block as if they knew something like this might happen.  Needless to say, we were not happy but upon further inspection of the practices at the gates, we stayed in line.  The guards inspecting bags weren't measuring but asking to see the contents of the purses and allowing handbags into the venue.

The inspection folks were very kind but the security folks need to get on the same page because there would have been some very expensive handbags hidden in the bushes surrounding Safeco field.  This also may have been why the band took the stage an hour later than the announced start time.