***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    sp1984 said:
    But so fun this band. The setlist might not vary a ton, but the shows are great, the music is still awesome, and it's way funner being there than not.
    Oh for sure a fun three hours. Plus, Dave's daughter is singing back up and you can tell he's just so damn proud. 
    Not sure if it's every night, but she was acting all embarrassed when he was singing her praises at Fenway. Just goes to show that you can be a cool rockstar dad and your kids STILL think you're lame.  =)
    haha yes she was pretty shy/embarrassed. I was pleasantly surprised to see she looked/dressed her age. 
    It was pretty awesome when they rocked out together.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Pretty cool print...

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I haven't seen the Foos in 18 years. I would probably only go see them now if they played only stuff off of their first 3 albums. totally unimpressed with anything they have done after 2000.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    lolobugg said:
    I haven't seen the Foos in 18 years. I would probably only go see them now if they played only stuff off of their first 3 albums. totally unimpressed with anything they have done after 2000.
    Some slower stuff have been ace.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    lolobugg said:
    White Limo....probably my favorite FF song from 2011

I wasn't impressed by the last two albums

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Did anyone go to last night's Wrigley show? Going tonight and am curious what people thought. Chicago Tribune gave a mixed review of the show. Heard the setlists have become monotonous and uninspired, makes you appreciate PJ all the more. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    ^ I was there. Fun show, but as others have said, it’s a greatest hits show with a lot of songs dragged out too long. I lost interest at certain points. No comparison to a PJ show, but you know that going in. Overall, they put on a good show and very entertaining. Dave rocks out for sure. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    lolobugg said:
    White Limo....probably my favorite FF song from 2011

I wasn't impressed by the last two albums

Which is funny, as I'm the exact opposite. Don't care for White Limo, but I am digging the classic rock vibe of Concrete & Gold and Wasting Light (not very familiar with Sonic Highways, for some reason).
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I was there. Fun show, but as others have said, it’s a greatest hits show with a lot of songs dragged out too long. I lost interest at certain points. No comparison to a PJ show, but you know that going in. Overall, they put on a good show and very entertaining. Dave rocks out for sure. 
    Ok awesome, thank you. That's exactly what people have been saying. Obviously, take what you read with a grain of salt but the dragging songs out seems to be a pretty common complaint across the board. Supposedly Dave's voice has been going, hopefully it holds up well tonight. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    ^ No voice issues that I noticed. The dude screams so much it’s amazing he’s able to go back to back nights. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    I was there last night, too, and pretty much agree with what @bbiggs said about it. It was my first time seeing them and thought it was a fun and entertaining show. Between the drum solo, the band introductions each with an individual solo (including a keyboard solo), and the covers all in the middle of the set, it seemed like they didn't play one of their own songs for 35-40 minutes. They ended up playing 18 of their own songs. Dave said that they were going to play a song from each of their albums, but that didn't happen :lol: .I wouldn't call myself a die hard Foo's fan, so the greatest hits set was cool with me. It was a totally different experience compared to a PJ show. I couldn't imagine going again tonight and hearing the same songs in the same order in the set. But, they do put on a great show and they definitely bring it. I'm definitely glad I finally saw them live.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Thats super fucked up. Hopefully they up security for tonight and the PJ shows around the field.

RP112579 said:
    I was there last night, too, and pretty much agree with what @bbiggs said about it. It was my first time seeing them and thought it was a fun and entertaining show. Between the drum solo, the band introductions each with an individual solo (including a keyboard solo), and the covers all in the middle of the set, it seemed like they didn't play one of their own songs for 35-40 minutes. They ended up playing 18 of their own songs. Dave said that they were going to play a song from each of their albums, but that didn't happen :lol: .I wouldn't call myself a die hard Foo's fan, so the greatest hits set was cool with me. It was a totally different experience compared to a PJ show. I couldn't imagine going again tonight and hearing the same songs in the same order in the set. But, they do put on a great show and they definitely bring it. I'm definitely glad I finally saw them live.
    Yeah it was a good show. Dave had some voice problems here and there but yeah, he screamed his ass off. I will say, the extended jams in each song we’re getting a little tired. It was to the point where they beat the song to death and it all got redundant. Same exact set as night 1 with the exception of a song or two, but killer show nonetheless. Grohl has more energy than anyone I've ever seen, it's incredible. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mschostok said:
    RP112579 said:
    Yeah it was a good show. Dave had some voice problems here and there but yeah, he screamed his ass off. I will say, the extended jams in each song we’re getting a little tired. It was to the point where they beat the song to death and it all got redundant. Same exact set as night 1 with the exception of a song or two, but killer show nonetheless. Grohl has more energy than anyone I've ever seen, it's incredible. 
    Yeah it got tedious a few times in Noblesville....we had just come off see Radiohead on Mon/Wed so it was a downer.

There are 3-4 songs that are basically the same tune.  When they string those out I can't even remember what song they are playing.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    lolobugg said:
    How does this kind of shit happen?  How did someone not hear this?  Porta potties are usually in a big group, with long lines.  What the fuck is wrong with this guy?  
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    edited August 2018
    https://youtu.be/4eideYtty5U

Dave Grohl announced Play, a two-part documentary that culminates with him performing a new solo 23-minute song on seven different instruments.

Grohl created the immersive Play project, arriving August 10th, to showcase “the rewards and challenges of dedicating one’s life to playing and mastering a musical instrument.”

“Watching my kids start to play music and learn to sing or play drums, it brings me back to the time when I was their age listening to albums, learning from listening… and when I take my kids to the place where they take their lessons, I see these rooms full of children that are really pushing themselves to figure this out,” Grohl said in a statement.

“And even now, as a 49-year-old man, I’m still trying to figure it out… it’s not something that you ever truly master. You’re always chasing the next challenge, and you’re always trying to find a way to improve on what you’ve learned.”

Grohl blueprinted Play alongside Sonic Highways collaborator Mark Monroe, with Grohl performing the entire 23-minute instrumental on one instrument at a time and then merging the videos of each take to create a seven-piece one-man band. In a video that accompanied Play‘s impending arrival, Grohl previewed how the work, filmed by Brandon Trost, was constructed:

The first part of the Play documentary focuses on the behind-the-scenes preparation for the performance, which is unveiled in the second part. “The film is intercut with young musicians from the Join The Band music school in the San Fernando Valley practicing their craft, working relentlessly to get it right, and always coming back to the conclusion that, in Grohl’s words, ‘just like any kid, the reward is just to Play,'” Grohl’s Roswell Films added.

Play will be released to streaming services on August 10th, with a limited edition vinyl to follow on September 28th; the vinyl and digital formats are available to preorder now.

An online interactive experience for Play will also allow the viewer to focus on one instrument for the entirety of the performance as well as downloading the Play sheet music. “The online version of Play also includes a list of organizations where time, money and instruments can be donated to the cause—and places where musicians young and old alike can have the opportunity to play live music,” Roswell Films wrote.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • TvanTvan Chicago Posts: 73
    bbiggs said:
    I was there for night 1 as well. Had been about seven years since I'd seen them for the first time at a near-rainout lollapalooza. So I'll take the greatest hits setlist and some fun covers. Being in the GA pit a few feet off the catwalk kept me into it. 
    EAST TROY, WI 9/3/11
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/22/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/18/18
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/18
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    listening to Play now. Looking forward to the video later. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    listening to Play now. Looking forward to the video 

I'm looking forward to the release too!
  • HannahRoseHannahRose Kingston, NY Posts: 32
    Is anyone looking to snag a Foo Fighters poster from the Madison Square Garden show on July 16th? Long story short I've got two on my hands and want to give one away to anyone who wants it.
    If any of you are interested, PM me :)
    "Music is an indirect force for change because it provides an anchor against human tragedy." - Operation Ivy
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Is anyone looking to snag a Foo Fighters poster from the Madison Square Garden show on July 16th? Long story short I've got two on my hands and want to give one away to anyone who wants it.
    If any of you are interested, PM me :)
    Hey, I'd love that poster if still available 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Pap said:
    Loved it! It’s an interesting idea, and I think Dave pulled it off really well
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ultrapigultrapig South Dakota Posts: 142
    I'm really hoping something like this happens when I'm at Cal Jam! 
  • What’s their Merch situation like? Do they do a poster for each show? I heard their shirts are $20 which is incredible. 
  • What’s their Merch situation like? Do they do a poster for each show? I heard their shirts are $20 which is incredible. 
    If you dont know if they do a poster for each show yet, then you have already missed it :wink:

... but yes they do and there isn’t as much of a frenzy for them like PJ
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Celebrating my Birthday tomorrow night in Vancouver! Anyone else going?
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018