Should white people be able to appropriate black hairstyles (afro, braids, dreadlocks)

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    riotgrl said:
    Kinda interesting article....but it seems to say if you are white you cannot wear your hair in cornrows because police kill blacks, companies didn't make products for black for a long time, magazine sell "white beauty", etc.

While all of that is true, I still don't see how a white person's choice in hairstyle plays into that at all.  It's pointing out all the real reasons the black community is upset and then using them as an excuse to be upset over hair.  That's what it seems like to me.  

But thank you for posting, was good to read.

Valid point.  Maybe they feel that cultural appropriation is where they're power lies therefore that is something they can control.  Would be a great conversation to have.

Sorry I was having problems with quote feature!

• riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    riotgrl said:
    Kinda interesting article....but it seems to say if you are white you cannot wear your hair in cornrows because police kill blacks, companies didn't make products for black for a long time, magazine sell "white beauty", etc.

While all of that is true, I still don't see how a white person's choice in hairstyle plays into that at all.  It's pointing out all the real reasons the black community is upset and then using them as an excuse to be upset over hair.  That's what it seems like to me.  

Valid point.  Maybe they feel that cultural appropriation is where they're power lies therefore that is something they can control.  Would be a great conversation to have.

The one thing that unites us in AMT - problems with the quote feature. 
    And I just realized that apparently I don't know the difference between their, there, and they're!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Yes
    riotgrl said:
    riotgrl said:

And I just realized that apparently I don't know the difference between their, there, and they're!
    Just use "thar", it covers all bases.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes
    I don't know why this has got me so worked up to the point I feel like I am going to have a panic attack and to the point I could not focus in class today.
    One of these girls walked into my class today (and that guy whose head she bit off yesterday). Gosh she looks like she has a chip on her shoulder.
    She kept looking over at me. Must have been my Mitchell & Ness beanie I had on. How dare I appropriate a beanie worn predominantly by African Americans. How racist and hypocritical of me.
    The tutor asked the class if anyone can give an example of cultural globalisation and I answered that people around the world adopt fashions from other cultures hoping it would lead to the dreadlocks debate again but it didn't.

I don't understand why I as a white guy cannot wear dreadlocks if I have never been racist towards a black person in my life, WTF!
    It's like reverse racism, generalising the racism of a group of white people towards all white people.
    GRRRRR!
    What if I am a big fan of Bob Marley and want to wear dreadlocks in homage to him?

Who said white guys can’t have dreads? What you’re hearing is people’s reaction to white guys having dreads. If you want us to all get along, then dialogue with a black person about it or read what they have written about it. 
    Did you even read my first post in this thread?

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    The article linked below makes some sensible points.  This one stood out:

Historians and anthropologists have found evidence of the 'do in ancient Egypt, Germanic tribes, Vikings, Pacific Islanders, early Christians, the Aborigines and the New Guineans as well as the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Ashanti and the Fulani tribes of Africa.
    As University of Richmond professor Bert Ashe writes in "Twisted: My Dreadlock Chronicles," the better question is, "Who hasn't worn dreadlocks at one time or another?"

and

"...My research informed me that Indian monks wore them long before they reached the Western Hemisphere, so I'm not sure anyone has any particular claim."

So Thoughts, next time someone claims you are culturally appropriating blacks you can honestly say to them, "So I guess you also think I'm culturally appropriating  Indian monks, Egyptians, people of Germanic tribes, Vikings, Pacific Islanders, early Christians, Aborigines and the New Guineans as well as the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Ashanti and the Fulani tribes of Africa?"  That should cool their heels for a while!

haha thanks but I wasn't involved in the lecture debate. If someone does I will but I don't plan on forming dreadlocks.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Yes
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't it be seen as a celebration to other cultures ? You celebrate something you like by having things from other cultures. It's a sign of appreciation not something that should be taken negative.
    I would only feel proud other likes it too.
    Because historically white people haven’t celebrated other cultures but instead destroyed them. Look at a lot of white people’s current attitudes toward diversity for present day feelings if you din’t like mucking around in the past. 
    And so the blaming and guilt must carry on to a new generation of white people not remotely responsible for the sins of the past?
    Yes
    We have to do a group assignment in this sociology unit.
    Gosh, I don't know how I'd react if the teacher paired me with her.
    I was so angry yesterday. 
    But I would like to talk to her about it one day.
    I also think she's pretty attractive haha.
    Yes
    We have to do a group assignment in this sociology unit.
    Gosh, I don't know how I'd react if the teacher paired me with her.
    I was so angry yesterday. 
    But I would like to talk to her about it one day.
    I also think she's pretty attractive haha.
    Maybe remind her that Jimi quite happy to have his band mates do up their hair like this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Yes
    Haha will do
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yes
    Annafalk said:
    Why can't it be seen as a celebration to other cultures ? You celebrate something you like by having things from other cultures. It's a sign of appreciation not something that should be taken negative.
    Because historically white people haven’t celebrated other cultures but instead destroyed them. Look at a lot of white people’s current attitudes toward diversity for present day feelings if you din’t like mucking around in the past. 
    And so the blaming and guilt must carry on to a new generation of white people not remotely responsible for the sins of the past?
    Yes, otherwise you are a racist.  If you defend yourself you are a racist.  If you don’t want to be minimized you are a white supremacist.  Is that how it goes halifax?

*Those rules apply only if you are white.  Black/brown/purple/yellow pride all good.  White is bad*

If you made something of yourself it isn’t because of sacrifice and hard work, it is because of privilege.  Same rule applies as above.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2018
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:
    Yes, otherwise you are a racist.  If you defend yourself you are a racist.  If you don’t want to be minimized you are a white supremacist.  Is that how it goes halifax?

*Those rules apply only if you are white.  Black/brown/purple/yellow pride all good.  White is bad*

If you made something of yourself it isn’t because of sacrifice and hard work, it is because of privilege.  Same rule applies as above.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Annafalk said:
    I didn’t say anything about blame and guilt. I’m talking about history as well as minorities dealing with racism in the present. Most white people have the luxury of going about their day and can decide if they want to think about these things or not. I’m saying it helps for whites to work to understand minirities reactions to these things. 
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yes
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:

LOL, Michael Moore.  Use Bozo the Clown next time for a more credible opinion.
    I don't know why this has got me so worked up to the point I feel like I am going to have a panic attack and to the point I could not focus in class today.
    One of these girls walked into my class today (and that guy whose head she bit off yesterday). Gosh she looks like she has a chip on her shoulder.
    She kept looking over at me. Must have been my Mitchell & Ness beanie I had on. How dare I appropriate a beanie worn predominantly by African Americans. How racist and hypocritical of me.
    The tutor asked the class if anyone can give an example of cultural globalisation and I answered that people around the world adopt fashions from other cultures hoping it would lead to the dreadlocks debate again but it didn't.

I don't understand why I as a white guy cannot wear dreadlocks if I have never been racist towards a black person in my life, WTF!
    It's like reverse racism, generalising the racism of a group of white people towards all white people.
    GRRRRR!
    What if I am a big fan of Bob Marley and want to wear dreadlocks in homage to him?

Who said white guys can’t have dreads? What you’re hearing is people’s reaction to white guys having dreads. If you want us to all get along, then dialogue with a black person about it or read what they have written about it. 
    Did you even read my first post in this thread?

My comment was about our internal amt group discussion. Rather than talk with the hot teacher, it might be better to talk with the ones who have issue with it. After you’re not as agitated. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    riotgrl said:
    riotgrl said:

Just use "thar", it covers all bases.  :lol:
    thar you go ... yup it works.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Yes
    brianlux said:
    The article linked below makes some sensible points.  This one stood out:

Historians and anthropologists have found evidence of the 'do in ancient Egypt, Germanic tribes, Vikings, Pacific Islanders, early Christians, the Aborigines and the New Guineans as well as the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Ashanti and the Fulani tribes of Africa.
    As University of Richmond professor Bert Ashe writes in "Twisted: My Dreadlock Chronicles," the better question is, "Who hasn't worn dreadlocks at one time or another?"

and

"...My research informed me that Indian monks wore them long before they reached the Western Hemisphere, so I'm not sure anyone has any particular claim."

So Thoughts, next time someone claims you are culturally appropriating blacks you can honestly say to them, "So I guess you also think I'm culturally appropriating  Indian monks, Egyptians, people of Germanic tribes, Vikings, Pacific Islanders, early Christians, Aborigines and the New Guineans as well as the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Ashanti and the Fulani tribes of Africa?"  That should cool their heels for a while!

So we don't have start a claim with UN on who has rights to the dreadlock?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • And black women are supposed to have straight hair? Am I missing the point of this whole thread!!!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:

It doesn't matter who said that.
    "Ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to hate. Trump knew that part of the equation really well." A truer statement could not be said. It's fact, not opinion. Bozo the Clown would be just as correct if he'd been the one to say it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    It's like a pendulum sometimes it swings over too much on one side and sometimes too much on the other side. It needs to have balance. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:

"Ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to hate. Trump knew that part of the equation really well." A truer statement could not be said. It's fact, not opinion. Bozo the Clown would be just as correct if he'd been the one to say it.
    Does ignorance really lead to fear? It doesn't sound right in my ears but I'm probably wrong. :)
    Yes
    Annafalk said:
    It's like a pendulum sometimes it swings over too much on one side and sometimes too much on the other side. It needs to have balance. 
    I totally agree with the pendulum metaphor. I said the same thing to a friend of mine who had a day where he was particularly doom and gloomy about Trump and all that shit that goes along with him. The problem is, how do we slow the pendulum after it's seemed to have picked up steam??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    I totally agree with the pendulum metaphor. I said the same thing to a friend of mine who had a day where he was particularly doom and gloomy about Trump and all that shit that goes along with him. The problem is, how do we slow the pendulum after it's seemed to have picked up steam??
    We can't do anything about the executive branch at this point. But the legislative branch is supposed to be a check on the executive branch, and they've been derelict in their duty there. So the way we (in the US) can help slow the pendulum is to quit sending any more trumphumpers to DC. The 2018 election matters. Reject incumbents who have enabled tRUmp's bullshit. Reject candidates who have pledged to support tRUmp's agenda, or who have received endorsements from tRUmp. Elect legislators who will represent and fight for their constituents rather than carry water for Cheetolini. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    I'm not sure, maybe people need to meet and socialize more. We need good leaders that shows us the right way. Right kind of social structure a good society that makes people grow. Good education systems  Most importantly is that people have an occupation. Where I work we have people from all over the world both as workers and patients and we are a very well functioning team. :)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Yes
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:

Does ignorance really lead to fear? It doesn't sound right in my ears but I'm probably wrong. :)
    Yes, I would say that history and present day tells us that it most definitely does.
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:

Yes, I would say that history and present day tells us that it most definitely does.
    Yes, I guess if someone is ignorant and is making up their "own truth" maybe it can be a "bad truth" if it's hurting people in any way.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    You can be learned and scared . You can be educated and be in fear.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    True. I’ve seen well educated people operate this way. In general they tend to reject what they were taught by holding on to myths and outdated values. They also reject data and facts because they emphasize their own experience and personal observation and weigh it much more heavily over factual information. 
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    And you can be educated and ignorant. There are plenty of well-educated racists and xenophobes out there. And I believe that all racists and xenophobes are ignorant in that context, which leads to their fear.
    Yes
    As a male who shaves his head, I'd love to have the option of dreadlocks...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Yes
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Annafalk said:

I don't get the hate for Michael Moore.  Moore warned us- he predicted Trump would get elected.  So who are the bozos?