*** Seattle, WA Fanviews Here 8/8/18 ***

Comments

• ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    go pre said:
    My 20th show and my first show without hearing a PJ original for the first time. A little disappointing, but I was preparing myself for it to happen and had a great time. Looking forward to whatever Friday's show brings.
    I would call you extremely lucky if you have already heard these songs within 20 shows! Others can visit 80 shows and won't get Help, Help or Let me Sleep...
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Very Good show for me. Band was on fire as per usual. Crowd seemed good from where I was in Ga, so not sure where all the talk comes from that Seattle crowds suck. Definitely not a top 5 or 10 show for me, but of course that is completely subjective and we all enjoy different aspects of shows. Either way, this band brings it every damn show for 3 hours and I’m extremely thankful to them for putting their hearts and souls into every show. Can’t wait to see them in Missoula. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    go pre said:
    My 20th show and my first show without hearing a PJ original for the first time. A little disappointing, but I was preparing myself for it to happen and had a great time. Looking forward to whatever Friday's show brings.
    I would call you extremely lucky if you have already heard these songs within 20 shows! Others can visit 80 shows and won't get Help, Help or Let me Sleep...
    I've been to 16 shows and have heard both of those songs...not being snarky...just FYI
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 571
    edited August 2018
    This is true, but judging by the number of songs played and the time stamps doesn't look like they took many for a ride either.  I think these stadium shows have become more of a celebration than shows you go back and listen to (imo of course).
    Yes, a celebration.  They have veered into nostalgia.  9 covers, kids on stage, a bunch of stories from the past, special guests, dedications, etc.  I'm not trying to be negative.  After all, 3+ hours and 30+ songs is a lot!  THIS ERA OF PJ IS JUST NOT MY PREFERENCE.  That's all.  It's a personal preference and opinion.

I've committed to 3 upcoming shows (2 Wrigley, 1 Boston), but it's probably the least excited about Pearl Jam shows that I've ever been.  I thought we might have a new album to support these shows at the time of purchase... and "Can't Deny Me" from the "forthcoming album" got me even more excited that these shows wouldn't just be a repeat of the two Wrigley shows I saw in '16.  But alas... I probably don't need another big ballpark show with no new material. 

I saw Radiohead at the United Center back-to-back nights in July.  Granted, they played for just over 2 hours, but it felt like a very relevant, interesting, still-evolving band.  They had vastly different setlists each night (like PJ), and it wasn't this big, sappy nostalgia-fest.  

I appreciate the good deeds, the causes this tour is supporting and the type of humans that these guys are.  I just fear that creatively Pearl Jam is a spent force.  Here come the torches!
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    kruesch said:
    i've never posted here, but felt i had to, cause y'all some spoiled ass mother fuckers.   nit picking that the show was no good because you didn't hear a song you've never heard before.   when you are actually at a show, and better man comes on, it's awesome.   the crowd loves it.  the energy is great.   looking at it on paper, you breeze past it.  but who gives a shit about the setlist.   just enjoy the show for what you get, not complaining about what you didn't 
    Agreed OP, big time. Sorry those who have seen 100000000 shows feel the need to critique every goddamn thing about last night's show - while I'm here at home unable to go - seriously. Might be time to stop going if you're going to be THAT disappointed or let down, or whatever.
    www.cluthelee.com
    wnh1977 said:
    This is true, but judging by the number of songs played and the time stamps doesn't look like they took many for a ride either.  I think these stadium shows have become more of a celebration than shows you go back and listen to (imo of course).
    Yes, a celebration.  They have veered into nostalgia.  9 covers, kids on stage, a bunch of stories from the past, special guests, dedications, etc.  I'm not trying to be negative.  After all, 3+ hours and 30+ songs is a lot!  THIS ERA OF PJ IS JUST NOT MY PREFERENCE.  That's all.  It's a personal preference and opinion.

I've committed to 3 upcoming shows (2 Wrigley, 1 Boston), but it's probably the least excited about Pearl Jam shows that I've ever been.  I thought we might have a new album to support these shows at the time of purchase... and "Can't Deny Me" from the "forthcoming album" got me even more excited that these shows wouldn't just be a repeat of the two Wrigley shows I saw in '16.  But alas... I probably don't need another big ballpark show with no new material. 

I saw Radiohead at the United Center back-to-back nights in July.  Granted, they played for just over 2 hours, but it felt like a very relevant, interesting, still-evolving band.  They had vastly different setlists each night (like PJ), and it wasn't this big, sappy nostalgia-fest.  

I appreciate the good deeds, the causes this tour is supporting and the type of humans that these guys are.  I just fear that creatively Pearl Jam is a spent force.  Here come the torches!
    I don't disagree....I just don't understand why.  You would think someone in the band would look at the setlist and say "hey can we scratch 2 covers and add 2 PJ songs?"

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 571
    edited August 2018
    kruesch said:
    i've never posted here, but felt i had to, cause y'all some spoiled ass mother fuckers.   nit picking that the show was no good because you didn't hear a song you've never heard before.   when you are actually at a show, and better man comes on, it's awesome.   the crowd loves it.  the energy is great.   looking at it on paper, you breeze past it.  but who gives a shit about the setlist.   just enjoy the show for what you get, not complaining about what you didn't 
    Agreed OP, big time. Sorry those who have seen 100000000 shows feel the need to critique every goddamn thing about last night's show - while I'm here at home unable to go - seriously. Might be time to stop going if you're going to be THAT disappointed or let down, or whatever.
    It's a message board where people express opinions that might differ from yours.  I agree that people have really high expectations for the band, maybe even unrealistic.  They set the bar pretty high.  But I do think some of the criticisms are fair... they're discussing their favorite/one of their favorite bands.  I think it's ok to nit-pick, critique, etc.
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    go pre said:
    I've been to 16 shows and have heard both of those songs...not being snarky...just FYI
    57 shows and I've heard Help Help live once and Let Me Sleep zero times.  Consider yourself lucky!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    go pre said:
    57 shows and I've heard Help Help live once and Let Me Sleep zero times.  Consider yourself lucky!  
    Let me Sleep was Wrigley #1 in 2016

• sometimesicringesometimesicringe Vancouver, BC Posts: 85
    wnh1977 said:

Couldn't agree more...I'm signed up for the 2nd Seattle and 2 Wrigley as well - that's all for me until there is new material though
    I feel the Lightning Bolt tour has grown a bit stale...
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Please see the Posting Guidelines.

Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home.

Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

Please respect topic integrity by not derailing discussions.

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    Got to meet the very lovely Jill Vedder. 

A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    saw some guy post on twitter "boring, predictable show". HAHAHA

That had to be a joke.    Getting Black early in the main set is the biggest surprise of the night to me. 
    didn't seem like a joke. but the guy could just be really bad at sarcasm. who knows. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I thought it was an amazing show! From my perspective, the guys never disappoint because each show is so unique. I am so grateful! The opening gave me double goose bumps. The storytelling for Evenflow set off another round of em'. I am so honored to be a fan of an amazing group of men both on and off the field. And DAMN they can still rock! Can't wait for Friday night!!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    Anyone who complains about the set or the band must be insane.  Any song live . Even alive or even flow.  Kicks ass. Being at the show is what counts because there is no feeling in the world like it. Just be grateful ffs
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I got All Those Yesterdays which I've been waiting to hear live since the Yield tour.    That made it worth the price of admission alone.   It was also amazing seeing Breathe from the pit.   I got that one at Seattle 13 too, but we had crappy tickets behind the state.   Really enjoyed it.

I thought the band was super tight and the show was pretty good.   A pretty good warmup for Friday :)
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 335
    I love All Those Yesterdays and always miss the show they play RVM and would be thrilled to hear Numb. I'm not that hardcore or a chaser, so anything is great for me. Going tomorrow and excited for a 3 hour throw down in the pit. See ya there!
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,187
    Back of the sign read "NOW I HAVE A BETTER MAN" :)
  • i'm not quite sure what i am still chasing but it happened again last night in seattle
    i have seen a whack of shows cause i'm old but not dead and last night's show ranks right up there for me
    but so did the last live pj show i saw...no coincidence
    for me it's still as good as it always has been. amazing lights back drop for this show.
    that main globe had me seeing things i think. definitely a solar system happening there...
    opening the show the way they did. i have never seen long road > release ... ever!
    still in love with the new corduroy and mike was on fire last night
    great ending of that great song...
    so many surprises and highlights. way too many to comment on
    special mentions go to
    throw your hatred down, help and help help, i am a patriot, nais(wow!)
    solat>rvm perfect
    and i've got a feeling and yes i love when PJ cover great songs! hello!!!

• TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,072
    go pre said:
    I've only been to 6 shows, and got Let Me Sleep 3 times, and Help, Help once.  And I would love to see those several more times.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited August 2018
    Solid set. People are moaning about the number of covers, but for me the highlight of the show was the cover of Comfortably Numb. I liked the fact that Mike used a Gilmour-ish black Strat and played a Floydian solo that really worked well with the mood of the song. Looking forward to Friday's show.
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Still digesting last night. I have that post concert permanent grin  =)
    The opening of Long Road and Release (and Low Light) was so beautiful for me. I was in tears during release ... felt my own dad so close.  Those two songs really hit me. 
    Other highlights:
    - the story of Eddie and Even Flow. Song has a whole new meaning for me.
    - C Numb. Just wow.
    - Let Me Sleep. Never expected that. I love that little tune.
    - NOTHING AS IT SEEMS!!!
    So so happy and grateful to have been there.

Hoping for a little No Code on Friday. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    edited August 2018
    Well, getting into Safeco was a mess, as has been discussed elsewhere. We thought getting into the Waldbuehne in Berlin was a cluster, but this was just inexplicable.
    It's a good thing the show made it worth the hassle. :-) Was it a killer setlist like in Krakow? No. But it was three hours of high-energy, well-executed Pearl Jam, so I have nothing to complain about.

Yes, it had a nostalgic, celebratory feel. I expected that. I also expected to hear both Even Flow (of course...) and Let Me Sleep, given that these shows are trying to highlight the issue of homelessness in Seattle.

I enjoyed the covers -- as my husband says, PJ is the world's best cover band. He was especially psyched to hear "I Am a Patriot." It was cool to see Brandi Carlile; I learned about her through PJ Radio, and from the little that I've seen/ heard from her, she is awesome.

The highlight for me was "All Those Yesterdays," a song I don't think I've heard live since the Spectrum shows. I think it's a vastly underrated song, and it comes across so well live that I wish the guys would play it more. I also love love love hearing "Breath." And I felt like Mike was on fire last night. :-D As it turns out, we were sitting next to his neighbors, LOL.

I'm kind of expecting that tomorrow's show will be one for "the freaks."  But I have to say, we had a great time last night (despite the really, truly, completely unnecessary hassle of getting into the ballpark), are exhausted today, and can't wait for tomorrow.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    man I wish they'd come back close to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    kruesch said:
    Yeah, just give me and Chris your tickets next time.  We'll enjoy the shit out of it!

I feel sorry for you people that feel duped but looking at the setlist and reading the little tidbits of Ed banter this looks like it was a freakin amazing show!!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Still digesting last night. I have that post concert permanent grin  =)
    The opening of Long Road and Release (and Low Light) was so beautiful for me. I was in tears during release ... felt my own dad so close.  Those two songs really hit me. 
    Other highlights:
    - the story of Eddie and Even Flow. Song has a whole new meaning for me.

Yes! The double-punch opener was awesome.
    And I thought it was great and appropriate for Ed to tell the story behind Even Flow. I think some people forget that it's a song about homelessness.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • kruesch said:
    Hell of a first post!  100%
    Gorge