Things that are a must do when in Chicago

Comments

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Don't bother with Deep Dish - that's tourist BS - the real Chicago pizza is just pan pizza from the classic places above (Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, etc.)

Bigger food priority: Chicago Dog, PORTILLO'S, Ditka's
    Wrigleyville must-eats and drinks: Murphy's Bleachers and Cubby Bear

For things to do - Buckingham Fountain is always fantastic by the lake, the skydeck at the Sears Tower is a blast, same with Hancock Center skydeck, a walk down Michigan Ave (The magnificent mile) is a must (but NEVER stop in the middle of the sidewalk you will be hated on), the Bean is fun only if you haven't been before, but the rest of Millennium Park is great. As far as museums, I highly recommend science and industry. Weather depending: Navy Pier.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJWGIII said:
    Don't bother with Deep Dish - that's tourist BS - the real Chicago pizza is just pan pizza from the classic places above (Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, etc.)

For things to do - Buckingham Fountain is always fantastic by the lake, the skydeck at the Sears Tower is a blast, same with Hancock Center skydeck, a walk down Michigan Ave (The magnificent mile) is a must (but NEVER stop in the middle of the sidewalk you will be hated on), the Bean is fun only if you haven't been before, but the rest of Millennium Park is great. As far as museums, I highly recommend science and industry. Weather depending: Navy Pier.
    The bean?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tup30tup30 Posts: 115
    the bean's formal name is Cloud Gate, it's an iconic art piece in Millennium Park.  its definitely worth a stop, it's pretty cool. plus, it's just a block from Intelligentsia Coffee (my fave) 

Miller's Pub on Wabash in The Loop is open to 4pm. it's muuuuuch nicer than I anticipated, really good food too. 

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    The Air and Water show is going on again on Aug. 18 and 19. We went out to the lakefront to watch it on Sunday in 2016 and really enjoyed it. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJWGIII said:

The bean?

wow that's pretty sick!!! millennial park is close to navy pier or am I completely wrong?  I think we are staying 3 blocks from navy pier.
  • Chicago Blues 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    wow that's pretty sick!!! millennial park is close to navy pier or am I completely wrong?  I think we are staying 3 blocks from navy pier.
    Not far at all...walking distance. You’ll be close to both. You’re in a great part of the city. Enjoy! 
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Portillo's for sure for a chicago dog and italian beef! If your a metal head at all get a burger at Kuma's Corner. Last time i was there i rented a jet ski and hit lake michigan which was ridiculously fun. Hit up Reckless Records! Dive bars in Wicker Park are always a good time too!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    know1 said:
    The Air and Water show is going on again on Aug. 18 and 19. We went out to the lakefront to watch it on Sunday in 2016 and really enjoyed it. 
    Oh yeah, the Air & Water show if you're staying near the lakefront. 
    Billy Goat Tavern: overrated or something you have to do?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just booked an boat cruise for monday.  I am pumped.  Now everything else is up to my wife lol.
    Nice! That sounds like a lot of fun. I get to plan Seattle and my wife is planning Chicago. She says head straight to the GA line ugh!
    Head straight to GA to get up close for her H2I they’ll be playing! ;) While I won’t be spending my day in the GA line, that’s one cool wife! 
    I hated to tell her how close I was in Europe. She just rolled her eyes lol. I expect us to be 10-15 back or so which is great for us. HTI being played would be insane. Hoping they bust it out a couple of times this tour. 

PJNB said:
    Might as well ask it here. Does anyone have any deep dish pizza recommendations that would be open after the show on the 22nd? We are flexible on locations since we have an early flight the next morning and no hotel for the night. 
    Pequod's in Lincoln Park. The best pie in town, open 'til 2am.

I will have a look at that thanks! 

bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Not far at all...walking distance. You’ll be close to both. You’re in a great part of the city. Enjoy! 
    I'm actually going over all your recommendations from months ago.  Man there is a lot to do in Chicago!  Too bad we only have two nights there.
  • JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    PJWGIII said:

Uhhhhh...  lou’s IS deep dish. Never had “pan” pizza in Chicago and I’m born & bred. 

Also -,There is a diff between deep dish (lou’s) and stuffed (giordanos). 

First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    mcgruff10 said:
    Overrated. BUT if you’ve never been I’d do it once. 
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    mcgruff10 said:
    overrated as hell....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    PJWGIII said:

Out hotel is next door to Ditka's so I'm sure to be in there a couple times at least lol.  I did the Bean, Millennium Park, and Michigan Ave in 2013.  Saturday we are going to explore a little more of Wrigleyville and the surrounding neighborhoods.  Will for sure get a Chicago dog somewhere.  Can't wait!  Only 10 more days.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mcgruff10 said:
    Overrated.  A decent burger but nothing special.
    Highly recommend checking out the Riverwalk.  A few different places to sit and have a drink watching the boats go by...very cool.
    mcgruff10 said:
    We hit the one by the United Center for Radiohead.  I had not been to that one before.  The beer is relatively cheap.  Like you said...decent burger but the bun is like twice the size that it should be.  

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    not necessary a tourist question but what is the bar situation before the show around Wrigley?  do-able or too crowded for the Monday night show?
    mcgruff10 said:
    We hit the one by the United Center for Radiohead.  I had not been to that one before.  The beer is relatively cheap.  Like you said...decent burger but the bun is like twice the size that it should be.  
    Yeah the bun is wayyy too big.  Usually hit up that location before/after Hawks games.  Beers are always ice cold...and cheap.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    There's plenty of Wrigleyville bars. For a Monday show it should only be PJ crowds since it's not the weekend. For those looking for unique brews (lots of exclusives from nearby breweries), Lucky Dorr is a tiny bar in the alley between the Cubs office and Wrigley.
    pjhawks said:
    not necessary a tourist question but what is the bar situation before the show around Wrigley?  do-able or too crowded for the Monday night show?

There's a ton of bars...they'll all be crowded but shouldn't be too crazy especially for Monday night.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    pjhawks said:
    For the past three Wrigley shows, we've found the Wrigleyville bars incredibly crowded. You basically either couldn't get in, or if you did, your could barely move and it would take 15 minutes or more to get a drink from the bar. The last show in 2016, we just went in to Wrigley early and drank expensive beers from the concession stands. This year, we're planning on just bar hopping downtown instead and heading up closer to the start of the show.

The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    BK221359 said:
    Brewery Recommendations Please...

Half Acre
    Revolution
    Pipeworks

*If you're traveling from Ohio and want a stop along the way, I would recommend Iechyd Da in Elkhart, IN.

*Traveling through SW Michigan via I94, try Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer, MI. As sure as you will enjoy a PJ show at Wrigley, you will enjoy Greenbush. (Pro Tip: yummy brisket)

*If you're a craft brew but and are going through NW Indiana (at the IN/IL border) you should make 3 Floyd's a stopping point for sure. 

*If you're opting to stay in NW Indiana over downtown, you can find a bunch of breweries within very close proximity to one another. Little late now, but maybe we should have had a NW Indiana brewery tour bus on Sunday. Damm!

If you're traveling from Ohio and want a GREAT stop along the way, you stop off of exit 83 (Mishawaka/Granger) and go to Barehands Brew in Granger.  Best IPAs in Indiana bar none!  Better the Iechyda and better than 3 Fucks.

leep
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited August 2018
    Nobody recommended the chocolate shake at wieners circle?   ;)  Great town, wish I was coming in for these shows.
    Pequods for deep dish is the call.  Just keep in mind that it takes almost an hour to get your pie.  Not the best place to go when you have a buzz from the show and you are hungry. You are practically asleep and sober by the time your food arrives.
    Also for chicago style hot dogs, I am a fan of superdawg over portillos.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    edited August 2018
    tup30 said:
    architectural boat tour 

intelligentsia coffee

chicago dog/deep dish pizza

Best way to fi d a very good reliable Chicago dog: Google: Portillo's 
    Italian beef and chocolate cake shake from Portillos too
    PJNB said:
    Might as well ask it here. Does anyone have any deep dish pizza recommendations that would be open after the show on the 22nd? We are flexible on locations since we have an early flight the next morning and no hotel for the night. 
    Pequod's in Lincoln Park. The best pie in town, open 'til 2am.
    +1 for Pequods.  Giordano's, Lou's, Gino's (in that order IMO) are the touristy deep dish.  They're good, but Pequods is where locals go 

Au Cheval for burgers.  Be prepared for 3+hr wait though.  Go there around 1-2pm put your name in, go explore for a couple hrs (Sears tower close if that's on your list), and go back 
    leep75 said:
    BK221359 said:
    Brewery Recommendations Please...

Half Acre
    Revolution
    Pipeworks

*If you're traveling from Ohio and want a stop along the way, I would recommend Iechyd Da in Elkhart, IN.

*Traveling through SW Michigan via I94, try Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer, MI. As sure as you will enjoy a PJ show at Wrigley, you will enjoy Greenbush. (Pro Tip: yummy brisket)

*If you're a craft brew but and are going through NW Indiana (at the IN/IL border) you should make 3 Floyd's a stopping point for sure. 

*If you're opting to stay in NW Indiana over downtown, you can find a bunch of breweries within very close proximity to one another. Little late now, but maybe we should have had a NW Indiana brewery tour bus on Sunday. Damm!

If you're traveling from Ohio and want a GREAT stop along the way, you stop off of exit 83 (Mishawaka/Granger) and go to Barehands Brew in Granger.  Best IPAs in Indiana bar none!  Better the Iechyda and better than 3 Fucks.
    you'd better check your verbiage mister....nothing is better than 3F

• wsimon74wsimon74 Posts: 466
    edited August 2018
    Visit Wrigleyville (Murphys) and then catch a Cubs Game at Wrigley Field. Pippins pub. Grant Park.  Homeslice Pizza.