Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think their albums basically get better and better over time. I love all of their albums, but S/T and Rated R are my least faves (although I got that really, really shitty reissue for Rated R; it's not actually the music that makes me say that about the album, just the fucking terrible sound quality of my record; I really should replace that with a better pressing). I think their most recent two albums are their best albums - complete masterpieces IMO - but I also think that Era Vugaris is fucking fantastic and way underrated, and Lullabies is amazing. Songs for the Deaf would be a lot better without all that radio crap in it. I think that really breaks up an otherwise incredible album, not in a good way. But anyway, I have their entire catalogue and am happy to spin any of those albums - I'm with Drowned Out in thinking that QOTSA can essentially do no wrong.
    Hi, I think we share the same brain on this :lol: I'm with you every step of the way in your assessment of their catalog. I really enjoy Era Vulgaris, probably more than Lullabies. Especially because of this crazy video for Sick, Sick, Sick.
    https://youtu.be/oHDaKtx6bGY
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I got into QOTSA after ...Like Clockwork.  I knew them from Songs for the Deaf which I liked at time of release but going back in their catalog I have yet to listen to S/T and Era Vulgaris...not sure what I am waiting for as I enjoy everything to varying degrees but it’ll be exciting to know I probably have two pretty good albums awaiting my attention one day down the road.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    tbergs said:
    I didn't start truly following QOTSA until Like Clockwork came out. I knew of them from their big hits in the early 2000's, but became hooked after Clockwork. I see a lot of comments about those who followed from the beginning not being able to get in to the new stuff and only really liking the first few albums, sounds similar to a lot of Pearl Jam fans. I also think it has a lot to do with both bands firing their most wild members after a few albums. I really liked Nick and what he brought to QOTSA, but it was probably for the best and they've made some awesome music since then.

With that said, only Nick could do this song proper justice. So awesome.
    https://youtu.be/PSNL1F_CDpw

Yeah. I miss Nick but I understand that he was a loose canon and had to be let go. The first time I saw them in 1999 they had a pedal steel player playing with them. I kid you not. It was pretty cool.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think their albums basically get better and better over time. I love all of their albums, but S/T and Rated R are my least faves (although I got that really, really shitty reissue for Rated R; it's not actually the music that makes me say that about the album, just the fucking terrible sound quality of my record; I really should replace that with a better pressing). I think their most recent two albums are their best albums - complete masterpieces IMO - but I also think that Era Vugaris is fucking fantastic and way underrated, and Lullabies is amazing. Songs for the Deaf would be a lot better without all that radio crap in it. I think that really breaks up an otherwise incredible album, not in a good way. But anyway, I have their entire catalogue and am happy to spin any of those albums - I'm with Drowned Out in thinking that QOTSA can essentially do no wrong.
    SFTD is obviously amazing because of the songs....but in my opinion the radio bits take it to the next level. It makes me feel like I'm listening to a concept record or a soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino movie. that's part of what I love about it. 

it's funny that your take on their discography is literally exactly the opposite to one of my buddies. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJ_Soul said:
    SFTD is obviously amazing because of the songs....but in my opinion the radio bits take it to the next level. It makes me feel like I'm listening to a concept record or a soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino movie. that's part of what I love about it. 

it's funny that your take on their discography is literally exactly the opposite to one of my buddies. 
    agreed on the radio bits...love it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah I had that shitty reissue of Rated R too, replaced it with the next reissue, think it’s catalogue number is a series of zeroes 0-000000? Anyway glad I replaced it, the newer reissue sounds really good, x20 better than the one you’ve mentioned. I just threw the other one away it was that bad. 

Rated R is such a classic album, if you didn’t hear it when it first came out you won’t know the context of it. I just had the CD back then with the blue cover art, it was a game changer big-time to hear at the time, an opening song listing drugs they liked to take?! Unheard of, then the same song’s short reprise halfway through again, very cool. Distinctive different singers on certain tracks including the mighty Mark Lanegan on In The Fade, probably the albums best track. The weird jazzy, freak-outs at the end of some songs that are challenging and the overall heaviness, but in a new way of the overall album.

My friends and I just loved it and played it in full at a lot of parties around that time so it holds good memories, we turned a lot of people into QOTSA through Rated R. Plus, we also read somewhere that the album was even better to listen to on LSD, so we tried it and they were right.. :) 
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree about Like Clockwork and Villains. I think those albums are nearly perfect and could listen to songs like Head Like A Haunted House or I Appear Missing all day.
    I agree about the radio skits too, I usually change the song before it ends just to avoid them now. It was kinda cool and first but now it just takes away from the songs, imo. That being said, I'll listen to anything QOTSA puts out because they haven't disappointed me yet. Just wish they would tour for Villains some more haha. 
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
    reesdog said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah I had that shitty reissue of Rated R too, replaced it with the next reissue, think it’s catalogue number is a series of zeroes 0-000000? Anyway glad I replaced it, the newer reissue sounds really good, x20 better than the one you’ve mentioned. I just threw the other one away it was that bad. 

Rated R is such a classic album, if you didn’t hear it when it first came out you won’t know the context of it. I just had the CD back then with the blue cover art, it was a game changer big-time to hear at the time, an opening song listing drugs they liked to take?! Unheard of, then the same song’s short reprise halfway through again, very cool. Distinctive different singers on certain tracks including the mighty Mark Lanegan on In The Fade, probably the albums best track. The weird jazzy, freak-outs at the end of some songs that are challenging and the overall heaviness, but in a new way of the overall album.

My friends and I just loved it and played it in full at a lot of parties around that time so it holds good memories, we turned a lot of people into QOTSA through Rated R. Plus, we also read somewhere that the album was even better to listen to on LSD, so we tried it and they were right.. :) 
    that saxophone outro is one of the most annoying things a band I like has ever done. I hate it. As soon as that part comes on, I hit SKIP
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    Agg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree about Like Clockwork and Villains. I think those albums are nearly perfect and could listen to songs like Head Like A Haunted House or I Appear Missing all day.
    I agree about the radio skits too, I usually change the song before it ends just to avoid them now. It was kinda cool and first but now it just takes away from the songs, imo. That being said, I'll listen to anything QOTSA puts out because they haven't disappointed me yet. Just wish they would tour for Villains some more haha. 
    Yeah, exactly. At first the radio thing seemed fun and different and creative.... and then it just got really stale and corny ... In fact, it actually feels artistically outdated to me. It was a good idea at the time, lol, but I just don't really feel like it's withstood the test of time. At some point it stopped being unique or interesting, probably because since then I've found other material that pretty much did the same thing with the radio DJ thing. But sure, the album is still great - I still like it enough to have spend the $$$ for that hard-to-find original red vinyl version, and to get it shipped from Australia. :lol:
    HFD, you mentioned Tarantino... and I realized that I feel the same about the radio bits on Rated R as I do about Reservoir Dogs... Great movie that was creative and unique ... but over the years, it just wore itself out and now it almost comes off as cliche .... I know many will disagree with that take as well, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    reesdog said:
    PJ_Soul said:

that saxophone outro is one of the most annoying things a band I like has ever done. I hate it. As soon as that part comes on, I hit SKIP
    I love that cool sax outro, lol. Stop being so opposite from me HFD. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    reesdog said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I love that cool sax outro, lol. Stop being so opposite from me HFD. :lol:;)
    but isn't that our thing? LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Love Natasha Shneider DJ on Another Love Song - "W.O.M.B. the womb". LOL "...but you're too stupid to realize yourselves"! Classic. ;)
    Love Natasha Shneider DJ on Another Love Song - "W.O.M.B. the womb". LOL "...but you're too stupid to realize yourselves"! Classic. ;)
    I don’t get it...
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited August 2018
    I put link to song at bottom. I omitted full dialouge in my previous post, but her DJ part starts at 2:55. I personally think it's funny as hell, but I'm weird. ;)

Natasha Shneider, along with her husband Alain Johannes were members of QOTSA. Johannes has also played with: The Desert Sessions, Eagles of Death Metal and Them Crooked Vultures. The couple fronted a great band with Jack Irons called Eleven, with Shneider and Johannes on co-lead vocals. Eleven was basically the backing band for Chris Cornell's Euphoria Mourning, minus Jack Irons. She died of cancer in 2008. QOTSA played a memorial concert for her with many famous friends paying tribute. Alain Johannes is still very active, and has played on and/or produced albums for: Mark Lanegan, Arctic Monkeys and Brody Dalle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3mdN2n-XXU
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    FrankY59 said:
    I don’t get it...
    crawl back in
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    Same. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^^^^^  That is an awesome performance!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited September 2018
    is the QOTSA self titled reissue LP out of print? I saw one in my local record store going for $50 bucks. gonna kick myself if this is the case. could've bought it at their show in 2011. got a poster instead.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Mystery bag score:

Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    RS151862 said:
    Is there anyway of listening to a snippet of these songs? I love bands singing Christmas songs!
    RS151862 said:
    Is there anyway of listening to a snippet of these songs? I love bands singing Christmas songs!
    you can buy the digital tracks for $1.99
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    RS151862 said:
    You can buy the digital downloads, but they’re not available until Dec 7th. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

RS151862 said:
    RS151862 said:
    You can buy the digital downloads, but they’re not available until Dec 7th. 
    it said that, but I bought them. I got a confirmation email and everything. I'll have to see when I get home if I can download them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

the confirmation email had a download to it, but it was just the artwork. I got a second email this morning a link to the zip file for both tracks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    I hope you all know that in iTunes you can click a song, go to get info and select when to begin and end a song.

I did this years ago and it's a non radio commercial version of songs for the deaf. It's awesome. I totally forgot about the radio bits.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
    I hope you all know that in iTunes you can click a song, go to get info and select when to begin and end a song.

I did this years ago and it's a non radio commercial version of songs for the deaf. It's awesome. I totally forgot about the radio bits.
    yes, I've done this often when I've downloaded a tune off youtube and there's shit at the beginning or end I don't want. and if you burn that song to disc, it keeps the edits you made. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This thread has been stuck on 988 for weeks...lets get it to a 1000!

Gooooo I Appear Missing!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I am going to go clean the bathroom.