Alex Jones/Info Wars removed from FB, youtube, Apple, Spotify

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    Anyone saying Infowars is just a "right wing" outlet is either misled or are purposely misleading. It's a whacko conspiracy outlet purposely trying to divide and outrage people by spewing outright hatred. There are no right wing outlets being shut down. 
    Exactly

How do some of you guys not know about Alex Jones and infowars? Been asleep since 9/11?

Unsung is clearly showing he was a devout listener, probably even harrassed the victims families of Sandy Hook?

https://people.com/crime/sandy-hook-alex-jones-lawsuit-hearing/

my2hands,

I tried to listen to him back in 08, one time though.  I couldn’t take the endless product pitches of Super Male Vitality more than the first ten times.

But, all means, continue on.  
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

benjs said:
    unsung said:
    I'm guessing he was removed because he said something shocking and unfathomable to decent people, right?

Back in the day we used to just change the channel.
    Back then, everything you saw was curated by individuals (network executives) who already had decided they wanted you to see it. You may have had the ability to change the channel, but you still weren't in charge of what you saw and what perspectives you were exposed to. The fact that now things can be self-published onto a network who then catch and remove unwanted uploads after the fact doesn't change this reality. In other words, there has never been socially- or corporately- mandated freedom of speech, nor should there be. Government tells us we have to accept that people can make ugly statements, but our free society encourages us to remind individuals that those statements are ugly, or to withdraw our wallets to only allow revenue to those whose values we believe in.

Personally, I think removing Alex Jones is a duct tape fix. The real fix would be teaching citizens to think critically so they knew better than to accept his unsubstantiated bullshit, and allowed his nonsense to fade away into obsolescence or be condemned loudly as garbage.
    benjs said:
    unsung said:
    I'm guessing he was removed because he said something shocking and unfathomable to decent people, right?

I don’t need government to decide what I should watch anymore than I need Mark Zuckerberg to do the job.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

I'm not going to cry an tears over this. 

We talk about free speech and how it is protected from prosecution by the government, but so much of our speech is over the internet now, and private companies control the internet.  These private companies are huge (Apple, Google, etc...) and are known to tilt search results to fit their objectives.  Should private companies whose business model is to host the public's videos or websites (and demolish the competition so they receive most of the web traffic), be subject to the same free speech rules that the US government is subject to?  Today 98% of can agree that InfoWars is despicable and love that it is off these sites, but the next time it could be something that does not serve the public good but the corporations.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Maybe Alex Jones can just go out on the street with a bull horn to spew his nonsense that way no one can stop him ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Maybe Alex Jones can just go out on the street with a bull horn to spew his nonsense that way no one can stop him ..
    Like the Christian psychos in Charlotte 2013 using a bullhorn telling me rock music is evil

I knew we were getting the debut of Getaway that night lol
    my2hands said:
    Like the Christian psychos in Charlotte 2013 using a bullhorn telling me rock music is evil

I knew we were getting the debut of Getaway that night lol
    lol yeah no doubt bunch of freaks trying to shove religion down people's throats ..
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    unsung said:

benjs said:
    unsung said:

Back then, everything you saw was curated by individuals (network executives) who already had decided they wanted you to see it. You may have had the ability to change the channel, but you still weren't in charge of what you saw and what perspectives you were exposed to. The fact that now things can be self-published onto a network who then catch and remove unwanted uploads after the fact doesn't change this reality. In other words, there has never been socially- or corporately- mandated freedom of speech, nor should there be. Government tells us we have to accept that people can make ugly statements, but our free society encourages us to remind individuals that those statements are ugly, or to withdraw our wallets to only allow revenue to those whose values we believe in.

Personally, I think removing Alex Jones is a duct tape fix. The real fix would be teaching citizens to think critically so they knew better than to accept his unsubstantiated bullshit, and allowed his nonsense to fade away into obsolescence or be condemned loudly as garbage.
    I don’t need government to decide what I should watch anymore than I need Mark Zuckerberg to do the job.
    'Back in the day', you changed the channel, and each and every one of them was curated by someone who decided what you see and what you don't. Today, you go onto Facebook, which is curated by someone who decides what you see and what you don't. Nowhere did I mention government interference, except to say they shouldn't interfere. 

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    Good. I think Alex Jones = hate speech often enough that I don't even think the 1st Amendment should be an issue even if it were an issue here, which it isn't at all anyhow. :lol:
    Alex Jones is a piece of shit, and anyone who likes him is also a piece of shit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,385

“I mean, if you can’t use a major media platform to claim that murdered children were faking it in order to scare up controversy so that you can sell toxic dietary supplements to scared senior citizens, then what did our forefathers even die for?” - Mikel Jollett 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So, all the people who post on here about how ridiculous it is to compare Trump’s WH to the beginnings of the Nazi regime will of course also be quick to post how ridiculous it is to compare removing Alex Jones from YouTube to a White Kristallnacht, right? Right? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Poor baby!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Are we still giving energy to the wasteland known as Infowars? Who cares!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited August 2018
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Anyone saying Infowars is just a "right wing" outlet is either misled or are purposely misleading. It's a whacko conspiracy outlet purposely trying to divide and outrage people by spewing outright hatred. There are no right wing outlets being shut down. 
    Exactly

How do some of you guys not know about Alex Jones and infowars? Been asleep since 9/11?

Unsung is clearly showing he was a devout listener, probably even harrassed the victims families of Sandy Hook?

my2hands,

I tried to listen to him back in 08, one time though.  I couldn’t take the endless product pitches of Super Male Vitality more than the first ten times.

OF COURSE. It was the ads that offended Unsung—not the whole “claiming murdered kids were really child actors” thing. Haha—WTF

You can’t write this stuff. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,385
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Exactly

my2hands,

OF COURSE. It was the ads that offended Unsung—not the whole “claiming murdered kids were really child actors” thing. Haha—WTF

lol
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Exactly

my2hands,

I wasnt going to say it
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    So I just cut n pasted this from infowars terms of service:

If you violate these rules, your posts and/or user name will be deleted. Remember: you are a guest here. It is not censorship if you violate the rules and your post is deleted. All civilizations have rules and if you violate them you can expect to be ostracized from the tribe.

So even they agree with the decent people and they should be banned. Thread done (add sarcastic smiley face!)
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    You’re right, you can’t write this shit. More manufactured faux outrage.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So I just cut n pasted this from infowars terms of service:

If you violate these rules, your posts and/or user name will be deleted. Remember: you are a guest here. It is not censorship if you violate the rules and your post is deleted. All civilizations have rules and if you violate them you can expect to be ostracized from the tribe.

So even they agree with the decent people and they should be banned. Thread done (add sarcastic smiley face!)
    Love it
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    unsung said:

benjs said:
    unsung said:

benjs said:
    unsung said:

Some people want the government to decide when to shit in the morning...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    The left loves diversity as long as you agree with their thoughts and ideas, otherwise you get the ignorant banter shown in this thread. Jones is an idiot but it is obvious the major social platforms conspired/colluded to do this to stifle a media outlet that was putting the main stream media to shame on these platforms. CNN was a major player in getting this done yet they bay at the moon every day that the press is being restricted by Trump. Is Jones news bullshit? Probably but the silicon valley companies should not be able to arbitrate who they feel is/isnt worthy of speaking their minds. This shouldnt be a left/right issue but an issue about who and why a small group of company heads can wield the power of speech on so called open platforms. The response from the left and a great deal of posters on this board are exactly the reason I will NEVER go back to the democratic party. 
    edited August 2018
    The left loves diversity as long as you agree with their thoughts and ideas, otherwise you get the ignorant banter shown in this thread. Jones is an idiot but it is obvious the major social platforms conspired/colluded to do this to stifle a media outlet that was putting the main stream media to shame on these platforms. CNN was a major player in getting this done yet they bay at the moon every day that the press is being restricted by Trump. Is Jones news bullshit? Probably but the silicon valley companies should not be able to arbitrate who they feel is/isnt worthy of speaking their minds. This shouldnt be a left/right issue but an issue about who and why a small group of company heads can wield the power of speech on so called open platforms. The response from the left and a great deal of posters on this board are exactly the reason I will NEVER go back to the democratic party. 
    What are you saying? That the government should force private companies to broadcast stuff they don't want to broadcast??? I'll just ignore most of your crazy nutzo post - I'm focusing on the part where you say that "companies should not be able to arbitrate who they feel is/isn't worthy of speaking their minds.... (it's) an issue about who and why a small group of company heads can wield the power of speech on so-called open platforms." I have to interpret that as you saying you think it should not be legal for them decide what they can do with their privately owned streaming platform.
    Wtf are you doing on the 10C boards btw? 10C does exactly what you're bitching about YouTube doing, only in a much more arbitrary way. I'm surprised you want to "subject" your free speech to such an assault.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    The party don’t want nor need you. Conspired? Colluded? Sounds like a distraction from Donny, Jr. I hear Q is accepting new adherents.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    you just said it's not about the left/right issue but lay all the blame on the left lol ...
    you just said it's not about the left/right issue but lay all the blame on the left lol ...
    He also said that Infowars puts mainstream media to shame, so I'm not sure we should expect any rationality here.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymN5scMpZM
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Beat me to it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited August 2018
    "This shouldn't be a left/right issue".  Haha!  Dude, you crack me up.  Look who is making it a left/right issue!  

I'm all for diversity but I don't use that word much  any more (it's a bit too trendy for my tastes).  I'm guessing you're a bigger fan than many of us here because your posts certainly add some spicy diversity!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Exactly

my2hands,

SH was in 2012.

You can only write it if you are a mentally unstable sore loser.
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    Exactly

my2hands,

I wasnt going to say it
    Say what? Get a calendar?
This discussion has been closed.