Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    We have yet another year with big fire happening outside Yosemite.  Seems to happen every year now.  The Ferguson fire west of the park is at 41,576 acres with 26% containment.  Were in a heat wave with temps in the low 100's (38 to 40 Celsius) which isn't helping matters. 

Honestly Brian...

It's kinda sad. California was phenomenal at one point- one of the premier places to live anywhere in the world for a number of reasons.

As you have stated, it simply cannot sustain the pressure on it that people have placed upon it.

It'll never be better. Think about that.
    Sadly, Thirty, I think about it often.  That awareness is  especially pronounced having family on my mothers side in California that goes back to the late 1800's and having been born in California myself in 1951 and having lived most of my life here.  The changes that have occurred here in all those years are phenomenal and unsettling.   This is truly paradise lost. 

And the weird thing is- this state still has this mystique about it that attracts people and they keep thinking this is the place to live.  Honestly, it's not any more.   Most of the state is crowed, expensive, polluted, heavily trafficked, and competition for good neighborhood housing is stiff and only for the wealthy.

I think governor Brown needs to appoint me as the Official State Unwelcomer, haha!

https://youtu.be/13oMUz00sUY

Beautiful song by Ben Harper and his mother, Ellen Harper. This touches on exactly what you're talking about. Beautiful song from a beautiful record, if 21st century folk music is your thing :)

Check it out
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

A view from the road of one of many fires burning in the Similkameen Valley in Southern BC. The authorities had been letting these fires just burn, until they started to get a little too close to the inhabited valley bottom. Now there are helicopter crews working pretty hard to limit spread down the mountain. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

And a view of a different fire just down the road. This one is the Snowy Mountain fire, I believe. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    We have yet another year with big fire happening outside Yosemite.  Seems to happen every year now.  The Ferguson fire west of the park is at 41,576 acres with 26% containment.  Were in a heat wave with temps in the low 100's (38 to 40 Celsius) which isn't helping matters. 

Honestly Brian...

It's kinda sad. California was phenomenal at one point- one of the premier places to live anywhere in the world for a number of reasons.

As you have stated, it simply cannot sustain the pressure on it that people have placed upon it.

Sadly, Thirty, I think about it often.  That awareness is  especially pronounced having family on my mothers side in California that goes back to the late 1800's and having been born in California myself in 1951 and having lived most of my life here.  The changes that have occurred here in all those years are phenomenal and unsettling.   This is truly paradise lost. 

And the weird thing is- this state still has this mystique about it that attracts people and they keep thinking this is the place to live.  Honestly, it's not any more.   Most of the state is crowed, expensive, polluted, heavily trafficked, and competition for good neighborhood housing is stiff and only for the wealthy.

I think governor Brown needs to appoint me as the Official State Unwelcomer, haha!

Beautiful song by Ben Harper and his mother, Ellen Harper. This touches on exactly what you're talking about. Beautiful song from a beautiful record, if 21st century folk music is your thing :)

Check it out
    I will check it out tonight after work.  Thanks, m2h!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Honestly Brian...

Check it out
    I will check it out tonight after work.  Thanks, m2h!
    Its also an extremely well pressed LP and sounds beautiful, you can likely find it cheap
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I was supposed to go to Yosemite this month, not looking like that is going to happen.
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Honestly Brian...

Check it out
    Good stuff there, m2h!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

unsung said:
    I was supposed to go to Yosemite this month, not looking like that is going to happen.
    Sorry to hear that.  Yeah, the Ferugson fire west of the park is a big and stubborn fire.  In fact, it just crossed over the boundary into the park.  We are a few hours away from any of the big fires.  The two smaller fires in our area are 90 contained but even still, smoke and haze are everywhere and we spend little time outdoors these days. 

Number of wildfires in California this year: 3,770  Total acreage burned so far: about 300,000.    Worst fire season I've ever seen. 

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Wow, stay safe.
    unsung said:
    Wow, stay safe.
    Will do, thanks!

That statistic (can't remember where I found it this morning)  of 300,000 acres burned seems low to me.  Just the fires actively burning today alone account for about 400,000 acres.  My guess is we've lost about  half a million acres this year with two months or more of major fire season still ahead of us.

Last one to leave the state, turn out the lights.

brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Honestly Brian...

Check it out
    Good stuff there, m2h!
    It's really a beautiful record. 

Ben Harper is the man
    From really, really bad to worse:

Crews battling deadly Northern California wildfires prepare for another night of winds that could drive the flames into new areas and threaten more homes.

The National Weather Service issued red flag warnings of critical fire weather conditions through Saturday night, saying a series of dry low-pressure systems passing through the region could bring wind gusts of up to 35 mph that could turn small fires or even sparks into racing walls of flame.

“This is a particularly dangerous situation with extremely low humidity and high winds. New fires will grow rapidly out of control, in some cases people may not be able to evacuate safely in time should a fire approach,” the weather service said in its bulletin for the Mendocino area north of San Francisco.

According to Cal Fire, more than 14,000 personnel are on the lines of 17 large blazes across California on Saturday. So far, the fire since June have killed 8, burned close to 500,000 acres and damaged or destroyed over 2,000 structures. Roughly 16,500 homes continue to be threatened by these fires, and nearly 40,000 residents are under evacuation.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    According to the POS POTUS, we just need to cut some of the trees down and use all these protected water resources to quell these fires. Genius!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    According to the POS POTUS, we just need to cut some of the trees down and use all these protected water resources to quell these fires. Genius!
    A simple, ineffective answer from a simple minded, ineffective man.

An excellent article here on the fires in the west and one of the big reasons why this is going on.  The quote below reflects my feelings exactly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/06/wildfires-west-oregon-california-smoke

I am an environmental journalist. I try to maintain a certain emotional detachment from my beat. If I really felt all the things we humans have done to our planet, I might not be able to keep reporting on it month after month. But every so often my detachment fails.

Dropping my kids off for the first day of a “wild camp” that had to be completely moved indoors because of the smoke, I lost it. I was filled with a howling anger. Humanity has known about climate change for decades, and we have done next to nothing to stop it. We’ve been too greedy, too selfish, too short-sighted. And now, my kids can’t even go outside without choking on the result. It isn’t their fault, but they are paying for it. And they’ll be paying for it the rest of their lives.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Portugal is also having a rough fire season...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It's getting worse far and wide. 

I want to get out, do something to get my mind off of obsessing with the threat and danger of fire.  But getting out around here does not include getting outdoors.  I would have to drive for at least a few if not several hours to find a place to get away from the smoke.  We smell it all the time.   I awake coughing up phlegm and my nose is clogged with crap.  This feels like the apocalypse. This is the shittiest summer of my life.  And we are a few hours away from the worst fires.  I don't know how folks closer to them can deal with it.  Not to mention all of the thousands who have either lost their homes or have had to evacuate.  And all the loss of wildlife.  It's horrible. 

Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting massively depressed about all this.

brianlux said:

I want to get out, do something to get my mind off of obsessing with the threat and danger of fire.  But getting out around here does not include getting outdoors.  I would have to drive for at least a few if not several hours to find a place to get away from the smoke.  We smell it all the time.   I awake coughing up phlegm and my nose is clogged with crap.  This feels like the apocalypse. This is the shittiest summer of my life.  And we are a few hours away from the worst fires.  I don't know how folks closer to them can deal with it.  Not to mention all of the thousands who have either lost their homes or have had to evacuate.  And all the loss of wildlife.  It's horrible. 

your rant is understandable.  It's not good staying indoors all the time.  Have you though of taking a weekend and heading away from the smoke just to relax, maybe sit by a pool or on beach somewhere?   That might be worth exploring for the sake of your mind and health.  Take care of your health...and be safe.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

your rant is understandable.  It's not good staying indoors all the time.  Have you though of taking a weekend and heading away from the smoke just to relax, maybe sit by a pool or on beach somewhere?   That might be worth exploring for the sake of your mind and health.  Take care of your health...and be safe.
    You know, now that you mention, there's always this option:

LOL,  but seriously, thank you.  Yeah, good idea if we can swing it one of these weekends.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

You know, now that you mention, there's always this option:

LOL,  but seriously, thank you.  Yeah, good idea if we can swing it one of these weekends.
    Not much chance of fires on the moon ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…

The Mendocino Complex fire is now the second-largest wildfire in California history, scorching more than 273,000 acres and frustrating firefighters as it continues to leap across natural and man-made barriers in Lake County, officials said Tuesday morning.

The Ranch and River fires, which make up the complex fire, had grown to 273,664 acres as of Monday morning, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The blaze was only 30% contained as of 7 a.m.

The blaze is on pace to become the largest wildfire in state history, surpassing the Thomas fire, which burned through more than 281,000 acres in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties late last year.

Officials said the Mendocino Complex fire has continued to grow by thousands of acres each day, even at night, when most fires normally calm down.

“It is extremely fast, extremely aggressive, extremely dangerous,” said Scott McLean, a deputy chief with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. “Look how big it got, just in a matter of days.… Look how fast this Mendocino Complex went up in ranking. That doesn’t happen. That just doesn’t happen.”

brianlux said:

The Mendocino Complex fire is now the second-largest wildfire in California history, scorching more than 273,000 acres and frustrating firefighters as it continues to leap across natural and man-made barriers in Lake County, officials said Tuesday morning.

The Ranch and River fires, which make up the complex fire, had grown to 273,664 acres as of Monday morning, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The blaze was only 30% contained as of 7 a.m.

The blaze is on pace to become the largest wildfire in state history, surpassing the Thomas fire, which burned through more than 281,000 acres in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties late last year.

Officials said the Mendocino Complex fire has continued to grow by thousands of acres each day, even at night, when most fires normally calm down.

“It is extremely fast, extremely aggressive, extremely dangerous,” said Scott McLean, a deputy chief with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. “Look how big it got, just in a matter of days.… Look how fast this Mendocino Complex went up in ranking. That doesn’t happen. That just doesn’t happen.”

The fires are getting bigger every year it appears...stay safe.  Take precautions not to be outdoors to long...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

The fires are getting bigger every year it appears...stay safe.  Take precautions not to be outdoors to long...
    Today is my Sunday and I wanted to get out and do something but no way!  Staying indoors and drinking coffee this morning/ early afternoon.  Today we'll watch out Netflix movie.  I forgot this one was on my list and this is what showed up, good grief!  It's OK timing though because I really do appreciate and highly honor those brave souls who fight fires.

At 283,000 acres plus, the Mendocino Complex fire is now the largest fire in recorded California history.

This is a good website for fire info.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
    unsung said:
    This is a good website for fire info.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
    Yes, thanks, inciweb is great.

And for those of us here in California:

Parry Sound 33, Lady Evelyn fire cluster get some much-needed rain but still out of control

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/parry-sound-33-forest-fires-northeastern-ontario-1.4775986?cmp=FB_Post_News
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:

It really is terribly disturbing just to have the smoke hanging over you like that. A couple years ago we got days and days of thick smoke hanging around from fires in BC and the US, and it really does affect everything. A constant stink, a dirty feeling in your face, laboured lungs, that horrible, creepy light from the sun being blocked by smoke, that feeling of the air having way too much weight.... It just sucks. Here's hoping this ends soon for you!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

It really is terribly disturbing just to have the smoke hanging over you like that. A couple years ago we got days and days of thick smoke hanging around from fires in BC and the US, and it really does affect everything. A constant stink, a dirty feeling in your face, laboured lungs, that horrible, creepy light from the sun being blocked by smoke, that feeling of the air having way too much weight.... It just sucks. Here's hoping this ends soon for you!
    Thank you, Allison.  That's exactly how it feels here- well, *cough, cough*, said!

Brian, you are always welcome to move to Southwestern Ontario ... the farmers have done a real nice job of making sure trees are not a problem.  We don't get forest fires this far south ... it just goest to show that the most stable genius ever Trumps suggestion of too many trees is the problem ...  ;)
    Give Peas A Chance…