Daily News Review of L.A. Night 1

LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Ed's a Spitfire!!!! :D

http://www.dailynews.com/entertainment/ci_4033584

Pearl Jam wows Forum crowd
BY FRED SHUSTER,

"It's Sunday, but we're going to approach this like it's Saturday night."
Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam's spitfire front man, lived up to those words in more than three hours of nonstop excitement in the opening date of two sold out nights at the Forum on Sunday. The show, which took in 15 years of hits, obscurities and unexpected cover songs - along with political barbs and an onstage visit from actor-director Tim Robbins - had fans at the packed Inglewood venue pumping fists and singing along in an exhilarating rock show.

Vedder and the band were in superb form, opening with a punchy trio of hard-hitters "Release," "World Wide Suicide" and "Corduroy." Lighting was subtle, with the five-member group bathed in blue lights without the huge video screens common to arena shows. Instead, fans were forced to pay attention to the powerful music rather than TV-like images - but the audience was also forced to squint to see the personalities putting forth that music.

Among many unforgettable moments Sunday were versions of stunning early hits "Jeremy"
and "Even Flow" and a passionate "Better Man."

For the first of two lengthy encores, Vedder introduced Robbins for a duet of a Phil Ochs protest songs, renamed "Here's to the State Of George W." (from the original "Here's To the State of Mississippi"). The song, which blasted the administration, drew cheers.

Later, Pearl Jam evoked strong feelings of poignancy with "Crown Of Thorns" (by Mother Love Bone) and the amazing "Alive," which had the crowd singing along at full volume.

A final encore included covers of "Last Kiss" and "Baba O'Riley," which were highlights of one of the year's best shows.

Pearl Jam appear at the Forum again tonight. Don't miss it.
So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    the whole night was a continuous sing along, was very impressed with the energy from the LA crowd, and how many ppl were singing the new songs...good stuff as usual
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    I enjoyed reading the article and looking at the pics. Thanks for sharing! Both LA nights were out of this world!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA