Options

Kratom. ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If weed isn't enough, mushrooms are pretty safe to use and they pack one hell of a punch!  
    In the right conditions you could have the most euphoric and profound experience of your entire life.
    You also could freak the fuck out and suffer PTSD like symptoms for weeks, months, or even years afterwards lol

That's the nature of doing drugs, that walking the fine line between altering thought patterns in delightful or regrettable ways...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited July 2018
    I thought airlines banned vaping??

They may have banned actually smoking from them in airports and planes (I don't know one way or the other), but you're free to carry them onto the plane with you. You just can't put them in checked bags.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:

They may have banned actually smoking from them in airports and planes (I don't know one way or the other), but you're free to carry them onto the plane with you. You just can't put them in checked bags.
    Last few times I’ve flown the safety announcement has included no vaping, along with the obligatory no smoking. The equipment is not banned, but using it is, just like you can take cigarettes in your carry on. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Last few times I’ve flown the safety announcement has included no vaping, along with the obligatory no smoking. The equipment is not banned, but using it is, just like you can take cigarettes in your carry on. 
    Fair enough (I'm sure many people get away with it anyhow, since it's largely undetectable). I'm surprised so many people in this thread seem to think that a vape pen is dangerous material that isn't allowed on planes, lol. Hey folks, you know people are allowed to carry lighters onto planes too, right? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Fair enough (I'm sure many people get away with it anyhow, since it's largely undetectable). I'm surprised so many people in this thread seem to think that a vape pen is dangerous material that isn't allowed on planes, lol. Hey folks, you know people are allowed to carry lighters onto planes too, right? ;)
    Those damn hipster kids use them so they must be from the devil.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vap+pens+fire&rlz=1C1GGRV_enDE765DE765&oq=vap+pens+fire+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4433j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Well that was tough to find....thank goodness for google.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vap+pens+fire&rlz=1C1GGRV_enDE765DE765&oq=vap+pens+fire+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4433j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So what was your point again?
    Oh, right, those damn hipsters...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cell+phone+laptop+fire&oq=cell+phone+laptop+fire&aqs=chrome..69i57.9083j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_IqJhW_nfGObZjwTf6bfgBA_0:410
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So what was your point again?
    Oh, right, those damn hipsters...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cell+phone+laptop+fire&oq=cell+phone+laptop+fire&aqs=chrome..69i57.9083j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=uid_IqJhW_nfGObZjwTf6bfgBA_0:410
    Well, my main point is that these types of things can cause fires.  On a plane I don;t like that.  I understand your point re:phones (which some were BANNED after there was an issue) and laptops...but there are some differences...

"Specifically, it’s e-cigarettes’ lithium-ion batteries that combust. These batteries are also found in laptops and cellphones. But with e-cigarettes, the batteries are especially prone to overheating because smokers use incompatible chargers, overcharge the e-cigarettes, or don’t take sufficient safety precautions. For example, many e-cigarettes are made to plug into a USB port, which smokers may take to mean the devices can be safely charged with a computer or iPad charger. But if left too long in a common USB port, some e-cigarette batteries can fry."

This also has some good info: 
    https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/electronic_cigarettes.pdf

And there have been cases of people putting them in lockers, something pressing against them causing it to activate and a fire occurs.  I am not sure if this is still possible or the design had been changed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I'll go ahead and trust the judgements of those in charge of aviation safety, if they don't see a need to ban then I'm not concerned.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I'll go ahead and trust the judgements of those in charge of aviation safety, if they don't see a need to ban then I'm not concerned.
    They've banned their use on the plane.  I trust them to.  Someone was talking about secretly using them on the plane.

FYI - they are banned from many workplaces due to the locker issue.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Smartphones can explode too, but they're not banned. Anything with a battery is a risk, technically. Why should vape pens be the focus? But in any case, what you posted is the reason vape pens are only allowed in carry-on. Because then if their batteries malfunction, someone is present to deal with it immediately. Makes sense to me, since an "exploding" vape pen does not actually cause an explosion that could cause a crash or anything. It's just a small event that would be contained to the bag it's in (or the pocket of the unfortunate owner), and can be put out with a cup of water.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Smartphones can explode too, but they're not banned. Anything with a battery is a risk, technically. Why should vape pens be the focus? But in any case, what you posted is the reason vape pens are only allowed in carry-on. Because then if their batteries malfunction, someone is present to deal with it immediately. Makes sense to me, since an "exploding" vape pen does not actually cause an explosion that could cause a crash or anything. It's just a small event that would be contained to the bag it's in (or the pocket of the unfortunate owner), and can be put out with a cup of water.
    As I already said...

""Specifically, it’s e-cigarettes’ lithium-ion batteries that combust. These batteries are also found in laptops and cellphones. But with e-cigarettes, the batteries are especially prone to overheating because smokers use incompatible chargers, overcharge the e-cigarettes, or don’t take sufficient safety precautions. For example, many e-cigarettes are made to plug into a USB port, which smokers may take to mean the devices can be safely charged with a computer or iPad charger. But if left too long in a common USB port, some e-cigarette batteries can fry."
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

As I already said...

""Specifically, it’s e-cigarettes’ lithium-ion batteries that combust. These batteries are also found in laptops and cellphones. But with e-cigarettes, the batteries are especially prone to overheating because smokers use incompatible chargers, overcharge the e-cigarettes, or don’t take sufficient safety precautions. For example, many e-cigarettes are made to plug into a USB port, which smokers may take to mean the devices can be safely charged with a computer or iPad charger. But if left too long in a common USB port, some e-cigarette batteries can fry."
    Yeah, I saw that part, I'm just saying that the event is 1) extremely rare, and 2) wouldn't cause a plane crash or anything unless it happened while stored in the luggage compartment, unmonitored. In other words, it's really not worth worrying about under the current TSA rules.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I've never seen a cell phone explode.
    I've never seen a computer explode.

I have seen a vape pen explode in someones pocket and they couldn't get it out.  It burned a hole in his leg and 3rd degree burns on his hands from trying to get the pen out of his pocket.

It happened so fast I wasn't sure what was going on until it was over...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have seen a vape pen explode in someones pocket and they couldn't get it out.  It burned a hole in his leg and 3rd degree burns on his hands from trying to get the pen out of his pocket.

Yeah, I've seen video of it. I definitely would suck to have it happen in your pocket. I'd personally not keep one in my pocket, although I have a purse to use (I really feel that men should start using purses - you guys don't know what you're missing, lol!) .... But we both know that such an event wouldn't cause a plane to crash or light on fire or anything. And while you may not have seen a cell phone or laptop explode or catch fire, other people have. It happens.
    Anyway, I'm also going to go ahead and trust the people making the rules on this one. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

As I already said...

Yeah, I saw that part, I'm just saying that the event is 1) extremely rare, and 2) wouldn't cause a plane crash or anything unless it happened while stored in the luggage compartment, unmonitored. In other words, it's really not worth worrying about under the current TSA rules.
    I’m not taking TSA. I’m talking using it on a plane.... which is not allowed. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I've seen video of it. I definitely would suck to have it happen in your pocket. I'd personally not keep one in my pocket, although I have a purse to use (I really feel that men should start using purses - you guys don't know what you're missing, lol!) .... But we both know that such an event wouldn't cause a plane to crash or light on fire or anything. And while you may not have seen a cell phone or laptop explode or catch fire, other people have. It happens.
    Anyway, I'm also going to go ahead and trust the people making the rules on this one. ;)
    You keep saying you’re going with the people that make the rules but then disagree with me. All I’ve said is don’t use on a plane...which is against the rules. So which is it for you? Agree with them (and me) or disagree with me (and them)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You keep saying you’re going with the people that make the rules but then disagree with me. All I’ve said is don’t use on a plane...which is against the rules. So which is it for you? Agree with them (and me) or disagree with me (and them)
    What? I also said of course you can't smoke on a plane, like yesterday, lol. I actually feel like that goes without saying this day and age. I thought you posted that google search link to show that vape pens are dangerous to carry on a plane.... :confused: