Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    I still haven’t quite processed Saturday night’s performance yet; it was other worldly. This band has crept into my top five of all time, they really are something else. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    I have no idea why anybody goes to the shows and supports this d-bag 
    Most of the artists I love have had negative incidents/headlines reported about them.  Look at EV's reputation in the 90's.  I don't think it makes them bad people.  Hell, I still pay to see Noel & Liam Gallagher.  Trent Reznor, Josh, Maynard, Thom Yorke, every one of them has a reputation.  The reason why certain bands are great live is because they are really on the edge when they are on stage (EV in 93/94).

Unfortunately, when they start cutting/canceling shows, I think they've gotten too far away from fans and need to get off the road for a bit.  It's a day at the office for them, it's a countdown event for us.
    EV kicked a woman in the face??? On purpose? 

Not sure why people make excuses for this loser
    He drunkenly kicked the camera.  It was a stupid mistake that 99% of the population doesn't make, but barely newsworthy and I'm sure the lady is just fine.   If that is the worst thing he does then good for him.
    Again, not sure why people make excuses for this loser.  

I've been pretty drunk before,  never kicked a woman in the face. You?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Most of the artists I love have had negative incidents/headlines reported about them.  Look at EV's reputation in the 90's.  I don't think it makes them bad people.  Hell, I still pay to see Noel & Liam Gallagher.  Trent Reznor, Josh, Maynard, Thom Yorke, every one of them has a reputation.  The reason why certain bands are great live is because they are really on the edge when they are on stage (EV in 93/94).

Unfortunately, when they start cutting/canceling shows, I think they've gotten too far away from fans and need to get off the road for a bit.  It's a day at the office for them, it's a countdown event for us.

He drunkenly kicked the camera.  It was a stupid mistake that 99% of the population doesn't make, but barely newsworthy and I'm sure the lady is just fine.   If that is the worst thing he does then good for him.

Forgiving someone for bad behavior isn't making excuses.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

No I have not.    It just doesn't make my list of things that would make me write someone off.  If he did it several times than yes, or if I think he intentionally tried to hurt someone (which I don't), then it would be a different story.  He kicked a camera and didn't think through that it would hit someone's face.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

No I have not.    It just doesn't make my list of things that would make me write someone off.  If he did it several times than yes, or if I think he intentionally tried to hurt someone (which I don't), then it would be a different story.  He kicked a camera and didn't think through that it would hit someone's face.
    I agree with this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ditto.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Well put, I agree 100%. 
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Exactly. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I got into QOTSA after ...Like Clockwork, so I only know Josh from the recent.  What was he like in the beginning of Queens and how has he evolved as a person the first decade of the century?  
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited May 2018
    FrankY59 said:
    I got into QOTSA after ...Like Clockwork, so I only know Josh from the recent.  What was he like in the beginning of Queens and how has he evolved as a person the first decade of the century?  

I saw them open for the Pumpkins in 1999. He was extremely high on something. He barely said anything except something like "Don't steal your parents money to buy drugs". He also clapped after every song in this weird way that made him seem spastic. He was totally different back then onstage at least. That was when Nick was in the band and I think they were constantly fucked up on drugs. I saw them in the summer of 2000 and it was the same deal. Probably wasn't until Nick was kicked out that he changed his stage demeanor. This is just speculation of course.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    FrankY59 said:

I saw them open for the Pumpkins in 1999. He was extremely high on something. He barely said anything except something like "Don't steal your parents money to buy drugs". He also clapped after every song in this weird way that made him seem spastic. He was totally different back then onstage at least. That was when Nick was in the band and I think they were constantly fucked up on drugs. I saw them in the summer of 2000 and it was the same deal. Probably wasn't until Nick was kicked out that he changed his stage demeanor. This is just speculation of course.
    He's also just a lot older now, obviously. That changes us all.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    this is pretty cool one of their earliest headlining shows in philly in 2000
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YJzS910Lk

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

that was when they were at their best. I saw them 3 times before this show ^

I do like the TLA. great venue.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    lolobugg said:

Wow!  where at?  they didn't really play around philly before that.  Although i did see them at ozzfest a few months beforehand.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited July 2018
    lolobugg said:

Wow!  where at?  they didn't really play around philly before that.  Although i did see them at ozzfest a few months beforehand.

I saw them open for the Pumpkins in 1999.

They also played a one off headline show in Tallahassee on an off day from OzzFest. think it was like the 2nd show of that tour. Saw them twice at the Cotton Club in ATL in 2000. once between the 1st and 2nd album and then probably on the same tour as the video you posted.  I was one of the hipsters that was disappointed in Songs for the Deaf.

I love their first 2 albums so much more than anything they have done since Nick got the boot.

PS: my friend still has the setlist from that Tallahassee July 2000 show. they opened with Millionaire and it wasn't even released yet. they were so great back in the day.

Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I saw them in 2011 for their first album re-release at the Vogue in Indpls...about a 1500 capacity venue.  Great show
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    edited July 2018
    For anyone near Vancouver this could be an incredible show. Looks like you need to be Canadian to enter for tickets. Canadians get everything.

https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/1021815533405011968?s=21
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

RS151862 said:
    For anyone near Vancouver this could be an incredible show. Looks like you need to be Canadian to enter for tickets. Canadians get everything.

Ssshhhh. Keep it secret, lol. I don't want any competition. =)
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    RS151862 said:

Ssshhhh. Keep it secret, lol. I don't want any competition. =)
    Ha.. my fault, good luck! I’d just like to thank you ahead of time for picking me to use your second ticket. 
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    RS151862 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I entered the draw.   I saw them play our little Arena back in January.  It was pretty awesome.
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    i caught them twice -- once in 2007 and once in 2014 (taped). maybe i will see them again in a few years. my ultimate regret is not getting tickets in 2003 alongside turbonegro.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
    How’d you guys do. I got waitlisted, pretty sure I wouldnt have been able to claim the tickets anyway. 

RS151862 said:
    How’d you guys do. I got waitlisted, pretty sure I wouldnt have been able to claim the tickets anyway. 
    I got waitlisted too. :frowning: I really want these tix dammit - I happen to be taking a very close friend out for his birthday that night, and this would be an awesome surprise for him.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited August 2018
    I also got waitlisted.   I can't imagine it's easy getting a pair.  I think the commodores max. capacity is 1100(ish).  Say they keep 25% for VIP/Promos and such, that's a maximum of 800 tickets given away, which is 400 pairs.   Not a lot :(

On the other hand hotels in Vancouver are really expensive in the summer.... I would of gone, but my wallet would of been discouraged :)
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    I had four people, all of us wait-listed. Too bad
  • TvanTvan Chicago Posts: 73
    edited August 2018
    Late commenting on the Madison show... I drove up from Chicago and generally enjoyed it despite getting cut short. I could believe it either way if they cut short due to noise restrictions or Josh being injured. The venue was a pain in that the security line was laughably slow... kinda par for the course for just about every venue I've been to in Wisconsin.

This was the fourth time I saw them on the tour and they sounded as good as ever! The setlist was great and it was the first time I heard the You Can't Quit Me Baby extended jam. The only real bummer was they cut out Regular John, which I still haven't seen them play live.
    EAST TROY, WI 9/3/11
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/22/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/18/18
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/18
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    I’ve seen them a few times, first was their own headlining show at the Brixton Academy in London after their 2nd album R Rated, so around 2000, but they did play a ‘new’ song which was No One Knows, it was fucking great, pretty much all songs played were from the first two albums, which I like the most by far.

Next it was opening for AC/DC at Milton Keyes in the UK around 2001. Then opening for the Foo Fighters at Hyde Park in 2005-6 with Motörhead. Both awesome shows, AC/DC being the better headliners though.

Next was in Auckland, New Zealand in the co-headlining tour with Nine Inch Nails, 2014, they were good, If I Had A Tail live was great to hear,  but NIN were much better and stole the show completely.

I probably wouldn’t go see them live now, their albums have gradually got worse and worse, the last one Villians,  being a total turd imo, give me a break, what is that weak Mark Ronson produced shite. Plus, live the band has changed a lot, they dress like office workers now and have turned into complete posers, pretty embarrassing. Happens a lot with bands I’ve noticed, once they get very successful. They will never be as good musically or bad-ass as they were on those first three albums, those records are perfect.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    reesdog said:
    I’ve seen them a few times, first was their own headlining show at the Brixton Academy in London after their 2nd album R Rated, so around 2000, but they did play a ‘new’ song which was No One Knows, it was fucking great, pretty much all songs played were from the first two albums, which I like the most by far.

Next it was opening for AC/DC at Milton Keyes in the UK around 2001. Then opening for the Foo Fighters at Hyde Park in 2005-6 with Motörhead. Both awesome shows, AC/DC being the better headliners though.

Next was in Auckland, New Zealand in the co-headlining tour with Nine Inch Nails, 2014, they were good, If I Had A Tail live was great to hear,  but NIN were much better and stole the show completely.

I probably wouldn’t go see them live now, their albums have gradually got worse and worse, the last one Villians,  being a total turd imo, give me a break, what is that weak Mark Ronson produced shite. Plus, live the band has changed a lot, they dress like office workers now and have turned into complete posers, pretty embarrassing. Happens a lot with bands I’ve noticed, once they get very successful. They will never be as good musically or bad-ass as they were on those first three albums, those records are perfect.
    yeah I don't like the Ronson vibe but there are a few good tunes on Villians.  

I saw them do the entire first album for the 10th anniversary tour at the Vogue in Indy....roughly 1500 capacity.  That was awesome.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    QOTSA was as good in May as they were the first time I saw them back in 2002.

I personally love how they’ve grown as a band & songwriters. 
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I really admire the work ethic and raw R'n'R spirit of this band. Josh Homme seems like a good dude, so I'm willing to forgive a few missteps here and there (I'm neither perfect or the role-model type). The quality musical output from Homme is simply amazing:

Kyuss
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    The Desert Sessions
    Eagles Of Death Metal
    Them Crooked Vultures
    Iggy Pop (Post Pop Depression)

I'm sure many other projects I'm forgetting too (even Lady Gaga collaboration comes to mind).

Rock on Josh!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE