MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Extra Innings is on.

Statistical Anomaly:
    My Reds have the most Walks in MLB

My Reds also see the fewest pitches per batter in MLB

That should not be possible for those two stats to be true.
    But they are.

They still can't pitch.
    Speaking of your Reds, this is amazing:

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Votto is a freak

He is also hilarious.

My favorite, non hockey playing, Canadian of all time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Holy shit! That is insane.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Wait so he either strikes out, grounds out or gets a hit?

no sac flys?

that is a ridiculous stat...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Pop up as in infield I assume 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yes, infield pop outs.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    more games being postponed by rain
    I miss igotid88
    Yes, infield pop outs.
    Yeah, I believe the criterium for a pop up is 140ft or less. And not necessarily outs, ether. Could drop in foul territory, out of play, or drop on defensive error/miscommunication or just out of reach. I also saw that he has NEVER popped out to C, P, or 1B in his career. That’s just insane. 
    $4 beers! 
    Bryce Harper is available for trade
    I miss igotid88
    This has gotten pretty wild. Trades every couple minutes

Archer to the Pirates
    I miss igotid88
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Buc-Os made out in that deal - Glasnow and Meadows.
    C'mon, someone give the Reds something juicy for Harvey
    igotid88 said:
    Archer to the Pirates
    Going from the worst stadium in baseball to possibly the best.
    1 minute. Although trades can still happen
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Bryce Harper is available for trade
    He ain't going nowhere.
    Well I'm glad my Cubs picked up a 60 year old washed-up Cole Hamels and yet another mediocre reliever in Brandon Kinztler.  Meanwhile every other contender in the NL went and got All-Stars.  And Jacob deGrom is still in a Mets uniform.  Good job, Jed.

With Yu Darvish being a complete $180million headcase (who didn't see that disaster coming?!), Byrant & Rizzo not doing jack shit all season, Brandon Morrow not being able to stay off the DL (who didn't see that coming?!), and Maddon's completely baffling, almost-daily preference for Ian "0-5 w/ 4K" Happ over Albert Almora Jr... this team may as well book their vacations in October because the playoffs aren't happening.  If they do, it will be an early exit.

They fall behind EVERY game and fall behind EVERY series and have to play catch up.  60% of their wins are of the "come-from-behind" fashion.  And while that's great they've been able to pull it off up 'til now, you can't expect to do it that consistently against playoff caliber teams. Law of averages is bound to set in at some point and we're starting to see that now.  You can't give up runs in the first inning every game, never have your bats come alive until the 6th or 7th, lose game 1 of every series, and expect to accomplish much.

It seems like many of these guys' heads blew up after winning it all and just don't feel the need to perform at the levels they're well capable of.  If anyone, I would've thought Baez would be the biggest culprit of inflated ego, but it turns out he is one of the few that have elevated their level of play to MVP status (I'm talking team MVP, not league, although he certainly could be in that discussion).  He, Almora, Heyward (!!), & Lester are the only ones who seem to go out there and perform at their absolute best every day.  When a 37 y/o Ben Zobrist who doesn't even play daily is your 4th best offensive output player of the season, you've got problems that need to be addressed with urgency.

How about that performance by Jake Arrieta last night?!  Fuck you, Scott Boras!  That man would still be in a Cubs uniform if not for his greedy, arrogant ass!
    Scott Boras' job is to literally be greedy and get his players as much money as possible
    Well I'm glad my Cubs picked up a 60 year old washed-up Cole Hamels and yet another mediocre reliever in Brandon Kinztler.  Meanwhile every other contender in the NL went and got All-Stars.  And Jacob deGrom is still in a Mets uniform.  Good job, Jed.

With Yu Darvish being a complete $180million headcase (who didn't see that disaster coming?!), Byrant & Rizzo not doing jack shit all season, Brandon Morrow not being able to stay off the DL (who didn't see that coming?!), and Maddon's completely baffling, almost-daily preference for Ian "0-5 w/ 4K" Happ over Albert Almora Jr... this team may as well book their vacations in October because the playoffs aren't happening.  If they do, it will be an early exit.

They fall behind EVERY game and fall behind EVERY series and have to play catch up.  60% of their wins are of the "come-from-behind" fashion.  And while that's great they've been able to pull it off up 'til now, you can't expect to do it that consistently against playoff caliber teams. Law of averages is bound to set in at some point and we're starting to see that now.  You can't give up runs in the first inning every game, never have your bats come alive until the 6th or 7th, lose game 1 of every series, and expect to accomplish much.

It seems like many of these guys' heads blew up after winning it all and just don't feel the need to perform at the levels they're well capable of.  If anyone, I would've thought Baez would be the biggest culprit of inflated ego, but it turns out he is one of the few that have elevated their level of play to MVP status (I'm talking team MVP, not league, although he certainly could be in that discussion).  He, Almora, Heyward (!!), & Lester are the only ones who seem to go out there and perform at their absolute best every day.  When a 37 y/o Ben Zobrist who doesn't even play daily is your 4th best offensive output player of the season, you've got problems that need to be addressed with urgency.

How about that performance by Jake Arrieta last night?!  Fuck you, Scott Boras!  That man would still be in a Cubs uniform if not for his greedy, arrogant ass!
    I've noticed a steady decline in Bryant over the last 2 years.

I wish Schwarber would get it together too.  

The whole team has unlimited potential that they aren't living up to.
    Scott Boras' job is to literally be greedy and get his players as much money as possible
    His job is to satisfy the desires of his clients. There was a mutual desire between the Cubs and Jake to work out a deal.  Boras failed to do that, all because of his ego full of greed and arrogance got in the way.  Boras had ZERO interest in getting Jake to stay in a Cubs uniform.  Fuck him.
    His job is to satisfy the desires of his clients. There was a mutual desire between the Cubs and Jake to work out a deal.  Boras failed to do that, all because of his ego full of greed and arrogance got in the way.  Boras had ZERO interest in getting Jake to stay in a Cubs uniform.  Fuck him.
    I don’t think boras gives half a shit what team his players play for so long as they get what they want. Jake didn’t stay in chicago because the cubs didn’t give him what he wanted.
    I don’t think boras gives half a shit what team his players play for so long as they get what they want. Jake didn’t stay in chicago because the cubs didn’t give him what he wanted.
    Not how it went down at all.
    Not how it went down at all.
    So three was a mutual interest and the Cubs offered Arrieta a contract he was satisfied with and Boras said no? 

Just because there is mutual interest, doesn't mean the team offered the guy what he wanted or would get him to sign...
    Well he got fewer years and less money in Philly, so there's that.  That's all I'm gonna say on it.  No need to incessantly argue about it because we have the great Yu Garbage now. :weary:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Well he got fewer years and less money in Philly, so there's that.  That's all I'm gonna say on it.  No need to incessantly argue about it because we have the great Yu Garbage now. :weary:
    As a Giants fan, I hate long term deals for pitchers...Zito, Cain, Cueto, Samardzija...they've all turned out bad. hell, I'm on the fence about giving Bum a long deal.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    As a Giants fan, I hate long term deals for pitchers...Zito, Cain, Cueto, Samardzija...they've all turned out bad. hell, I'm on the fence about giving Bum a long deal.
    Or for an aging first baseman in Pujols...
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. Jake would've been 38 at the end of the Cubs deal had he taken it.  I would've like to get 3 more years out of him while the team has a good window of opportunity. After that it really wouldn't matter if he sucked cuz I'm sure the Cubs will go back to basement dwelling by then, too. If not sooner.

Pitchers are easily the most volatile to give long term, high dollar deals to.  Any player is one injury away from ending their career, but position players seem more likely to recover and not have it affect them down the road like it can pitchers.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

uhh emm ... didn't looked washed up last night