Options

What's your feeling about the two-party system in the US or other countries with a two party system?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    I would like to see every candidate run strictly on his or her own merits.
    brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:
    Can we form a common sense party and get rid of the extreme left and right
    Sounds great but would everyone agree as to what is common sense?  Don't get me wrong- I would hope so- but common sense seems like a fairly scarce thing these days. 
    Where does the common sense party stand on guns, taxes, abortion, immigration?
    Great question!  Lets compare notes.  My common sense on these issues is:

Guns:  Though I personally would like to them them banned I know that won't happen so I would at least greatly urge strong background checks, a ban on assault rifles for non-military personnel, mandatory passing grade or better in a tough gun training course emphasizing safety, caution, and responsibility, and restricting gun practice to shooting ranges.

Taxes:   Somewhat of a cart before the horse issue.  If government spending were more rational, taxes would be lower and everyone would be happier.

Abortion:  Woman's choice up until 23 weeks  (most states say 22 to 24, so I went half way between).  After that, proof of good reason to abort (fetus known to have sever defects, threat to mother's life, etc. )

Immigration:  Regardless of whether legal or illegal entry, treat the person humanely.  Allow political asylum to those in danger from extremist governments.  End war on drugs.  Never separate parent and child.

I do believe there can be common sense consensus on these issues.  I also support the right for people to have radical opinions.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    I'm against the strictly two-party system and would like to see a balanced four or more-party system.
    This "common sense" party has no shot ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    PP193448 said:
    Those are the ones that really get shit moving.  Without them progress wouldn't be possible unfortunately.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:
    Sounds great but would everyone agree as to what is common sense?  Don't get me wrong- I would hope so- but common sense seems like a fairly scarce thing these days. 

Guns:  Though I personally would like to them them banned I know that won't happen so I would at least greatly urge strong background checks, a ban on assault rifles for non-military personnel, mandatory passing grade or better in a tough gun training course emphasizing safety, caution, and responsibility, and restricting gun practice to shooting ranges.

Taxes:   Somewhat of a cart before the horse issue.  If government spending were more rational, taxes would be lower and everyone would be happier.

Abortion:  Woman's choice up until 23 weeks  (most states say 22 to 24, so I went half way between).  After that, proof of good reason to abort (fetus known to have sever defects, threat to mother's life, etc. )

Immigration:  Regardless of whether legal or illegal entry, treat the person humanely.  Allow political asylum to those in danger from extremist governments.  End war on drugs.  Never separate parent and child.

I do believe there can be common sense consensus on these issues.  I also support the right for people to have radical opinions.

Guns - agree with your stance. There is no need for anyone to own an assault rifle. However, if you do want to own one, because they are fun to shoot, then maybe the possibility of having to purchase a license to buy one could go into effect. Or maybe even having to purchase a license to own any semi-auto gun.

Taxes - agreed. While it would be hard to reign in government spending,  it can be done. it's just matter of how much are we talking and how low do we want taxes to be?

Abortion - I disagree with abortion and feel that it is wrong. However, I'd probably vote for something like that, although maybe try to get the cutoff earlier because what people want to do with their lives is their decision.

Immigration - Agreed. Although, I'd like to set up more ways to help people immigrate to our country legally instead of crossing a border or being smuggled in a truck. Maybe immigration stations in the areas where the most illegal crossing occurs for people that maybe can't afford to do it the current way that is in place now for someone to immigrate. It could help create new jobs also. but for goodness sake, no building a damn wall. As for drugs, if you're caught in possession of illegal drugs, maybe just a fine, but no jail time. I'm anti-drug, but as long as your not selling or pushing or doing anything dangerous, but want to get high or wasted in your own home or own on your own time, go for it. it's your life

See, this common sense party could work
  • Options
    PP193448 said:
    Those are the ones that really get shit moving.  Without them progress wouldn't be possible unfortunately.

ponytd said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:

Guns - agree with your stance. There is no need for anyone to own an assault rifle. However, if you do want to own one, because they are fun to shoot, then maybe the possibility of having to purchase a license to buy one could go into effect. Or maybe even having to purchase a license to own any semi-auto gun.

Taxes - agreed. While it would be hard to reign in government spending,  it can be done. it's just matter of how much are we talking and how low do we want taxes to be?

Abortion - I disagree with abortion and feel that it is wrong. However, I'd probably vote for something like that, although maybe try to get the cutoff earlier because what people want to do with their lives is their decision.

Immigration - Agreed. Although, I'd like to set up more ways to help people immigrate to our country legally instead of crossing a border or being smuggled in a truck. Maybe immigration stations in the areas where the most illegal crossing occurs for people that maybe can't afford to do it the current way that is in place now for someone to immigrate. It could help create new jobs also. but for goodness sake, no building a damn wall. As for drugs, if you're caught in possession of illegal drugs, maybe just a fine, but no jail time. I'm anti-drug, but as long as your not selling or pushing or doing anything dangerous, but want to get high or wasted in your own home or own on your own time, go for it. it's your life

See, this common sense party could work
    I think common sense works as well, pnytd.  Another thing about abortion that is common sense is to do a better job of educating teens so that fewer unwanted pregnancies occur in the first place.

That said, I also agree that extremism has a role in getting things done.  I say that based on something Dave Foreman once said which is that the role of the radical is to make the moderate stance more likely to happen.  He said this with regard to the environmental movement, specifically the original Earth First! group (that group later became infiltrated with people who didn't understand the concept of doing no harm to others). That original group paved the way to some common sense environmental legislation that helped bring awareness to the harm being doing, for example, by cutting old growth forests.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    I’m not sure or know enough to comment on what would be the best political party platforms should be for this country, but I do know the republicans don’t give a fuck if our election process has/will be hacked again they have done zero to put forth any legislation to protect our system if you need to blame any Americans besides the Baffoon family start with the GOP ..,
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,228
    I'm totally against any party system (please expain this alternative)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9f0k_8W8wM
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    Good luck moving away from a duopoly of parties. You honestly think a majority of Americans can handle more than a binary decision of this magnitude? I guess I’m out of faith. Red and Blue have been used to define the entirety of an individual’s beliefs for all of modern American history. That’s how it’ll be until the nation crumbles (which my refusal to believe in exceptionalism plus my ability to think rationally tell me is overdue). On the pro side the rest of the nations will eventually follow due to the ignorance, greed, and short-sighted obtuseness of our lovely species.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    I'm against the strictly two-party system and would like to see a balanced four or more-party system.
    benjs said:
    Good luck moving away from a duopoly of parties. You honestly think a majority of Americans can handle more than a binary decision of this magnitude? I guess I’m out of faith. Red and Blue have been used to define the entirety of an individual’s beliefs for all of modern American history. That’s how it’ll be until the nation crumbles (which my refusal to believe in exceptionalism plus my ability to think rationally tell me is overdue). On the pro side the rest of the nations will eventually follow due to the ignorance, greed, and short-sighted obtuseness of our lovely species.
    I don't really understand your last sentence... I see no reason to think that "the rest of the nations" (by this I'll assume you mean the other democratic western nations that currently have non-two-party systems?) are going to follow America's lead here. There is no indication at all that any of them plan to turn to a governmental system like America's. I think most of those nations are fully aware of how America's system sucks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I am in favour of more direct democracy.  
    Direct democracy is a great idea but to have that you need an informed population and sadly that is the last thing we have in many countries. 

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PP193448 said:
    The problem is stupidity & greed have become the most "common" senses.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:
    Sad but true!

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:
    Sad but true!
    Metallica!