Idea on how to fix the "holiday single" problem.

Just to recap, when the latest (2016) single arrived in the mail earlier this year it said "Pearl Jam 2017" on it, because they had lost track themselves and although they've been very late in the past, this is the first time they actually "lapped" themselves.  Meaning, if Christmas time was the intended delivery date they were over a year behind.   

As a way of "catching up," they soon after released Can't Deny Me digitally as the "2017 annual single,"  with the assumption that a 7" vinyl was imminent and that analog members should be expecting it "soon."    But I have a BETTER idea!

Let's just call Around And Around/Alive the 2017 single (because that's what it says) and we can "retro-fit" the EoDM 7-inch and call THAT the 2016 single.   It has all the makings of a 10C single already: A live full-band cover, and a solo track by a band member.    Plus, I'm sure all the analog members have that one already and won't feel slighted for having to pay for it in addition to their analog membership fee because it was a charity release and who's gonna feel bad about that?

Problem solved!
1996: Randall's Island 1
1998: MSG 1
2000: Jones Beach 1
2003: Uniondale, MSG 1
2006: Camden
2013: Brooklyn 2
2016: Boston 1

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Note:

It's an annual single. The problem is that when it used to be intended to arrive at Christmas, the cut-off date was typically in July or August. If someone signed up in October, they weren't eligible until the next one.

This new way, everyone who signs up or renews at any point in any given year is eligible. (Obviously, the downside is that December renewals must wait until December to get the bonus item, but that's another story.)

The next one that comes will be the 2017...which almost them back on schedule.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    The fact that we paid $40 for a membership that includes at 45 xmass single and we never got it is false advertising. Time to fulfill ur obligation ten club, we already paid for it. Maybe make it up to us with letting us pre order the home show concert poster so we don’t have to sit in a line for 2 hours the day of the show. Maybe for once make it easier for your fans that have spent thousands of dollars on your band.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Wait, I thought it was concluded that Cant Deny Me was the first single on a new album, not the 2017 single? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Is this thread supposed to be a joke?
    I wanted to know before giving a serious answer...
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    The fact that we paid $40 for a membership that includes at 45 xmass single and we never got it is false advertising. Time to fulfill ur obligation ten club, we already paid for it. Maybe make it up to us with letting us pre order the home show concert poster so we don’t have to sit in a line for 2 hours the day of the show. Maybe for once make it easier for your fans that have spent thousands of dollars on your band.
    This!!
    and they never answered my email regarding this
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    This!!
    and they never answered my email regarding this
    They could also respond here.. "Something's in the works".. Instead we get the silence treatment.. The same is the case with all the questions regarding the eu shop..

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Sooooo....another newsletter today, and no "news", so I'm gonna bump this again - are we going to get a holiday single this year for 2017? Has this been answered anywhere yet? Or has the whole "is this 2016 or 2017...?" mystery from earlier this year played itself out to the point where we've simply accepted the fact a year is being skipped?
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Just make it a double 10" this year

9.28.96 Red Mosquito and Evenflow
    9.29.96 Porch and Present Tense

All will be well...

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Note:

It's an annual single. The problem is that when it used to be intended to arrive at Christmas, the cut-off date was typically in July or August. If someone signed up in October, they weren't eligible until the next one.

This new way, everyone who signs up or renews at any point in any given year is eligible. (Obviously, the downside is that December renewals must wait until December to get the bonus item, but that's another story.)

The next one that comes will be the 2017...which almost them back on schedule.
    So not calling it a Christmas single, but just annual single instead just gives them an extra 6 days then, right?
    I don't get all of the excuses for how late the whatever-you-call it single is. I shoudn't be getting the 2017 single in late 2018, no matter what its called.
  • SOME communication from those in the know would be.. Well.. In place!

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Wait, I thought it was concluded that Cant Deny Me was the first single on a new album, not the 2017 single? 
    it's unfortunately both. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    edited September 2018
    it's unfortunately both. 
    I wouldn't be so sure about it now... They said the new album was forthcoming, right? That was a blatant lie.
    Also, Can't Deny Me was available for download on the relative download section for members with the other previous holiday singles, right? Well, it's disappeared from there since a while ago now.
    I hope that song will end up to be a digital download only, like Olé actually was. These two songs honestly don't really deserve a physical release.
    Unless they are so short on new fresh (and valid) material, I can't see them including Can't Deny Me on the next album (that will be out in 2019, if we're lucky). I could also be wrong, obviously.

edit: well, it's not anymore on the holidays singles section, like I said, but they still say from the forthcoming album on the shop for the individual download of the song. Now, is it just me, or there's at least one big lie in that description? Meh...
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
    it's unfortunately both. 
    I wouldn't be so sure about it now... They said the new album was forthcoming, right? That was a blatant lie.
    Also, Can't Deny Me was available for download on the relative download section for members with the other previous holiday singles, right? Well, it's disappeared from there since a while ago now.
    I hope that song will end up to be a digital download only, like Olé actually was. These two songs honestly don't really deserve a physical release.
    Unless they are so short on new fresh (and valid) material, I can't see them including Can't Deny Me on the next album (that will be out in 2019, if we're lucky). I could also be wrong, obviously.

edit: well, it's not anymore on the holidays singles section, like I said, but they still say from the forthcoming album on the shop for the individual download of the song. Now, is it just me, or there's at least one big lie in that description? Meh...
    forthcoming can imply "imminent" or just "next". I'll assume it's the latter. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    it's unfortunately both. 

forthcoming can imply "imminent" or just "next". I'll assume it's the latter. 
    I'd say forthcoming can mean imminent or next, but usually implies sooner than later.
    When you announce a forthcoming album, I'd expect something within a year. And looks like that isnt the case.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Time to give up on it. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Fake news. Donald Trump says we got the 2017 single. Therefore, we did.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    edited September 2018
    Hell yeah! On board with a "Where the hell is my Xmas single...?!?!" thread!  
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    how to fix the problem? don't make written promises you don't intend to keep.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    pjhawks said:
    I would be more cordial than that... lol.    If they're struggling with doing them then I think people would be ok if they were honest and said they were struggling to make them.    Then possibly discontinue the analog membership (because it's kind of pointless without the single), and let everyone go digital only.   They could make sure they put out the last two singles that they're currently obligate to do, but then wrap it up after that?
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    Zod said:
    pjhawks said:
    I would be more cordial than that... lol.    If they're struggling with doing them then I think people would be ok if they were honest and said they were struggling to make them.    Then possibly discontinue the analog membership (because it's kind of pointless without the single), and let everyone go digital only.   They could make sure they put out the last two singles that they're currently obligate to do, but then wrap it up after that?
    What?!?  Nooooooooooooo....!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Zod said:
    pjhawks said:
    why? would you act the same if Amazon promised something once a year you paid for and didn't get it?  i honestly don't get people defending 10C here.  It's just not right that they promote something and don't deliver on time...on a regular basis.  Personally I don't really care about the single itself. i just don't like how they disregard it.  It's bad business and it's poor customer service.
    they have more than enough unreleased studio material to release several xmas singles on time. for them to claim they haven't had time to get into the studio to do it laughable. demos, outtakes, live tunes that never made the rounds on the net, etc. all they need it jeff or ames to do the art and boom, done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Just put Cold Confession and Let it Ride on it.. 

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Just put Cold Confession and Let it Ride on it.. 
    This is the correct answer.

Problem solved, we can wrap this thread up now.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited September 2018
    goldrush said:

Then we'd have a 100 page thread of people bitching because they got songs that were already available (albeit not officially).

I have said this numerous times and I'll say it again.  The single should be pressed and ready to go by February 1st every year.  Those who sign up/renew in January get it when they start shipping in Feb.  Those that sign up/renew Feb-Dec have it shipped on their sign up/renewal date.  We hardly ever get anything other than live songs now for the annual single anyway, so there is really no excuse not to be ahead of the damn game on this instead of continually 2 years fucking behind.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    goldrush said:

Then we'd have a 100 page thread of people bitching because they got songs that were already available (albeit not officially).

I have said this numerous times and I'll say it again.  The single should be pressed and ready to go by February 1st every year.  Those who sign up/renew in January get it when they start shipping in Feb.  Those that sign up/renew Feb-Dec have it shipped on their sign up/renewal date.  We hardly ever get anything other than live songs now for the annual single anyway, so there is really no excuse not to be ahead of the damn game on this instead of continually 2 years fucking behind.
     Boom.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
    goldrush said:

DYERS GETTIN' UPSET
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    :wink: I switched to digital. I'll buy the 45's when the extra inventory hits the shop.
    :wink: I switched to digital. I'll buy the 45's when the extra inventory hits the shop.
    I did too for one year. but I missed the physical copy of Deep. too bad the year I switched back to analog the magazine was nothing but pictures of some crew member's PJ collection. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• :wink: I switched to digital. I'll buy the 45's when the extra inventory hits the shop.

To each their own, but at $10+shipping for the single, the extra $20 has more value than just the single.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"