Options

Kratom. ?

Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
Anybody ever use this stuff? I am interested in finding out more about it. Is the stuff in headshops or gnc the real deal? Anything i need to know befofe using it? Thanks.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Comments

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i tried it a little over a year ago on a trip to Indiana.  a friend had some capsules of it that he made from the powder.  I took 4 pills before going to the airport.  I ended up getting extremely disoriented and lost my wallet somewhere in the terminal.  i barely made my flight...maybe be careful with it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Reading up on it on Wikipedia, I'd say maybe avoid it or at the very least, proceed with caution:

Adverse effects

At relatively low doses (1–5 g of raw leaves), at which there are mostly stimulant effects, side effects include contracted pupils and blushing; adverse effects related to stimulation include anxiety and agitation, and opioid-related effects like itching, nausea, loss of appetite, and increased urination begin to appear.[3][9]

At moderate (5 to 15 g of raw leaves) doses and higher, at which opioid effects generally appear, additional adverse effects include tachycardia (increased stimulant effect) as well as the opioid side effects of constipation, dizziness, hypotension, dry mouth, and sweating.[9][11]

Frequent use of high doses of kratom may cause tremors, anorexia, weight loss, seizures, and psychosis.[9] If frequent users try to stop using kratom, they may experience withdrawal symptoms including irritability, feelings of distress, nausea, hypertension, insomnia, a runny nose, muscle and joint pain, and diarrhea.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yeah, I'll probably pass on this. I would try maybe one small dose, but I'll just a stick with the herb.The history of the plant and usage is interesting though.
    I just recently had a great experience with an edible marijuana. I've only had a few experiences with marijuana edibles before and never really cared for it, but wow did I enjoy this last one. It was a 50mg, whatever that means, cake pop. It was awsome.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Yeah, I'll probably pass on this. I would try maybe one small dose, but I'll just a stick with the herb.The history of the plant and usage is interesting though.
    I just recently had a great experience with an edible marijuana. I've only had a few experiences with marijuana edibles before and never really cared for it, but wow did I enjoy this last one. It was a 50mg, whatever that means, cake pop. It was awsome.
    I've had weirdly mixed experiences with edibles ranging form euphoria to being extremely sick with vomiting and dizziness.  That latter experience has shied me away from edibles which is too bad because I think they are healthier than smoking.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I've had weirdly mixed experiences with edibles ranging form euphoria to being extremely sick with vomiting and dizziness.  That latter experience has shied me away from edibles which is too bad because I think they are healthier than smoking.
    That has kind of been my experience as well and why I always shyed away from them. I am not educated in it enough but I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of mg and wether it's indica or sativa. ?? Im glad I found one I like. Hopefully results will be the same next time. I'll probably eat 75mg of the same kind next time.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    vaggar99 said:
    i tried it a little over a year ago on a trip to Indiana.  a friend had some capsules of it that he made from the powder.  I took 4 pills before going to the airport.  I ended up getting extremely disoriented and lost my wallet somewhere in the terminal.  i barely made my flight...maybe be careful with it.
    Maybe immediately prior to going to the airport is not the best time to experiment with new substances..... ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    Maybe immediately prior to going to the airport is not the best time to experiment with new substances..... ;)
    Oh, how times have changed.  I knew this guy back in my college days who took a commercial flight back to NYC.  I asked him how the flight went and he said, "It was great.  I smoked a joint in the bathroom after the 'fasten seat belts' sign went off.  It was the best flight I've even been on!"   Well, hey, that was also back in the day when smoking was allowed in the back of the plane.  No shit.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Oh, how times have changed.  I knew this guy back in my college days who took a commercial flight back to NYC.  I asked him how the flight went and he said, "It was great.  I smoked a joint in the bathroom after the 'fasten seat belts' sign went off.  It was the best flight I've even been on!"   Well, hey, that was also back in the day when smoking was allowed in the back of the plane.  No shit.
    its even better now with vape pens.  you can smoke in any seat.
  • Options

vaggar99 said:
    it's the only way
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    A vape pen will get past security?  Cool, if so, but I'd be surprised!  And if so, I'd still use it in the head just because I wouldn't want somebody freaking out and yelling at me!

• Options
    vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:
    it's the only way
    Sure! Worked out great for you, right? 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What is it?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    A vape pen will get past security?  Cool, if so, but I'd be surprised!  And if so, I'd still use it in the head just because I wouldn't want somebody freaking out and yelling at me!
    they've gotten by security on dozens of flights over the last 4 years or so.  and i wouldn't use it in the can...the smoke detectors can be set off by the vapors.  your seat is actually the safest place.  use a jacket or blanket to slowly exhale into...
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    ^ lol.  That’s dedication right there.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    i do that rarely.  most flights i take are 3 hours or less, so vaping in the airport bathroom works fine...but on the occasional long haul....well, its sort of the best thing ever..
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    i do that rarely.  most flights i take are 3 hours or less, so vaping in the airport bathroom works fine...but on the occasional long haul....well, its sort of the best thing ever..
    Wow- awesome!  :lol:

• Options
    Was reading online today and this article headline caught my eye

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/psychoactive-herb-kratom-on-radar-of-b-c-doctors-and-poison-control-centre

A bit of info in there for you about local experiences
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I thought airlines banned vaping??

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So vaping on flights is banned ... one question ... whats the matter with you?  I suspect if your ever caught you risk being charged and possibly banned from flying... Is the reward worth the risk?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So vaping on flights is banned ... one question ... whats the matter with you?  I suspect if your ever caught you risk being charged and possibly banned from flying... Is the reward worth the risk?
    i don't know. something is definitely the matter with me though
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    It seems that is a risk not worth taking if you depend on flying ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    If ever there was a time for edibles....
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    I for one don’t need any other herbs or anything to put me in my comfort zone , I grow my own, smoke my own , make my own butter for edibles make my own tincture & hash with the by product of the plant matter that is not for smoking...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    As someone that flies I think it sucks that you are bringing and using that fire hazard on the plane
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    I for one don’t need any other herbs or anything to put me in my comfort zone , I grow my own, smoke my own , make my own butter for edibles make my own tincture & hash with the by product of the plant matter that is not for smoking...
    But no guns?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    You don't do that in a closed area around other people...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    But no guns?
    hell no i don't own any guns why you ask ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    fine, i wont again.  but, explain to me why its a problem.  sure, theres a lithium-ion battery involved which could explode.  but, phones, laptops etc all have bigger batteries that have been known to "explode" on occasion.  there is no smoke, but a fast disappearing vapor.  
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    fine, i wont again.  but, explain to me why its a problem.  sure, theres a lithium-ion battery involved which could explode.  but, phones, laptops etc all have bigger batteries that have been known to "explode" on occasion.  there is no smoke, but a fast disappearing vapor.  
    I just don't want to see you banned from flying ... especially if you flyby lot.
    Give Peas A Chance…