The Idiot Thread

Comments

• PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Who's the bigger idiot: the company thinking this was a good idea or the parents sitting in line for an hours to save a few bucks?
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/build-bear-closes-lines-nationwide-over-safety-concerns-224404545--abc-news-topstories.html
    Lets' be fair here, it's obviously the customers.  I don't think Build a Bear would think people would act like that to save $20.
    It's not a few bucks. If you let your kids pick whatever they want, it ends up costing an average of about $75 bucks give or take. It's worthit for a once in a lifetime keepsake for a kid and for people who can't normally even afford to think about taking their kid to get one, it was well worth standing in line for. They should have noted to the first 100 or whatever in line for the ad. The right thing to have done was to take the names of everyone that stood in line waiting when they finally decided to shut it down to honor it since they advertised it and so many people waited. It's false advertisement if it wasn't honored. 
    $20, $75... I don't see the difference. How is $75 worth that?? And the way they were behaving, causing safety issues! Bunch of idiots! How about they spend $10 at the craft store and help their kid make a fun keepsake at home instead of forcing their kids to stand in line all day with a bunch of stupid angry cheap people?

Agreed in full. You make your call sometimes.

Whenever we see a line like that... and we are not committed to it from necessity... there's not a chance in Hell we're waiting in it. I won't even waste my time at Costco for gas to save 2-5 cents per liter.

$20? To endure that? I'd rather poke pins in my eyeballs.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Vaping is for idiots

So you're basically saying this pilot doubled down on idiocy? He's a champion?
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Who's the bigger idiot: the company thinking this was a good idea or the parents sitting in line for an hours to save a few bucks?
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/build-bear-closes-lines-nationwide-over-safety-concerns-224404545--abc-news-topstories.html
    Lets' be fair here, it's obviously the customers.  I don't think Build a Bear would think people would act like that to save $20.
    It's not a few bucks. If you let your kids pick whatever they want, it ends up costing an average of about $75 bucks give or take. It's worthit for a once in a lifetime keepsake for a kid and for people who can't normally even afford to think about taking their kid to get one, it was well worth standing in line for. They should have noted to the first 100 or whatever in line for the ad. The right thing to have done was to take the names of everyone that stood in line waiting when they finally decided to shut it down to honor it since they advertised it and so many people waited. It's false advertisement if it wasn't honored. 
    $20, $75... I don't see the difference. How is $75 worth that?? And the way they were behaving, causing safety issues! Bunch of idiots! How about they spend $10 at the craft store and help their kid make a fun keepsake at home instead of forcing their kids to stand in line all day with a bunch of stupid angry cheap people?

Whenever we see a line like that... and we are not committed to it from necessity... there's not a chance in Hell we're waiting in it. I won't even waste my time at Costco for gas to save 2-5 cents per liter.

When your kid asks for something you try. It's like telling a Pearl Jam fan they shouldn't f5 for tickets for hours or tell them not to waste their time standing in line for a few hours to get the poster they want for the one and only show they'll ever be able to afford to go to. For some that have a lot of money to throw around they may not be able to see it from  the same point of view. 
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

When your kid asks for something you try. It's like telling a Pearl Jam fan they shouldn't f5 for tickets for hours or tell them not to waste their time standing in line for a few hours to get the poster they want for the one and only show they'll ever be able to afford to go to. For some that have a lot of money to throw around they may not be able to see it from  the same point of view. 

But when you get there with your kid...you use the opportunity to explain why waiting around in that massive line is not worth it and how you'll come back when it is less busy (more time to make selections, etc.).

Your heart is in the right place- I won't knock you for that. And if you are the type to persist with this type of endeavour... who am I to judge? There are way worse things you could be doing. This just isn't anything at all I'd take part in and money isn't flowing out of my pants endlessly. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    $20, $75... I don't see the difference. How is $75 worth that?? And the way they were behaving, causing safety issues! Bunch of idiots! How about they spend $10 at the craft store and help their kid make a fun keepsake at home instead of forcing their kids to stand in line all day with a bunch of stupid angry cheap people? I think parents falling into the trap of branding like this does a disservice to their children in the long run. It's just like those parents who used to get in fist fights over those hideous Cabbage Patch Kids at K-Mart.
    I see so many similarities between this and the pj ga line. Lol

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah no way. I tell my kids straight up, no.  A good rule of thumb is to tell you’re kids nothing until it happens, that way they can’t be disappointed. 

what an asshole/idiot:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/cubs-fan-steals-foul-ball-101414386.html

Cubs Fan Steals Foul Ball From Kid But The Little Guy Still Wins

An adult Chicago Cubs fan took finders-keepers liberties at Sunday's game at

An adult Chicago Cubs fan took finders-keepers liberties at Sunday’s game at Wrigley Field, appearing to steal a foul ball intended for a child.

Cubs first base coach Will Venable tossed a foul ball at the boy during the Cubs-Cardinals game. But the ball dropped under the lad. A fan in the next row snatched it and had a laugh with two companions.

Not cool.

But the Cubs’ organization was looking out for the little guy.

The team tweeted a photo of the boy with two baseballs, including one signed by All-Star second baseman Javy Baez. That “should take care of it,” the team wrote.

• mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

An adult Chicago Cubs fan took finders-keepers liberties at Sunday’s game at Wrigley Field, appearing to steal a foul ball intended for a child.

Cubs first base coach Will Venable tossed a foul ball at the boy during the Cubs-Cardinals game. But the ball dropped under the lad. A fan in the next row snatched it and had a laugh with two companions.

Not cool.

The team tweeted a photo of the boy with two baseballs, including one signed by All-Star second baseman Javy Baez. That “should take care of it,” the team wrote.

I saw this.

The ball was clearly intended for the boy (who's got to pick his game up with regards to 'catching' I might add). Then the goofball snatches the ball that hits the floor under the chairs and rejoices with his gaggle of fools rejoicing as well.

I can't recall how many times I've seen teenagers (no less) catch a foul ball and give it to some little kid.

This guy is a jackass. What an idiot.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

The ball was clearly intended for the boy (who's got to pick his game up with regards to 'catching' I might add). Then the goofball snatches the ball that hits the floor under the chairs and rejoices with his gaggle of fools rejoicing as well.

I can't recall how many times I've seen teenagers (no less) catch a foul ball and give it to some little kid.

yes he is and now the whole country knows what a jackass he is.  and rightfully so.  i never understood adults fascinations with getting baseballs like that. if i catch one it's going to the nearest kid.  caught one as an early teen myself which was cool. but it's a baseball, it's not gold.
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

yes he is and now the whole country knows what a jackass he is.  and rightfully so.  i never understood adults fascinations with getting baseballs like that. if i catch one it's going to the nearest kid.  caught one as an early teen myself which was cool. but it's a baseball, it's not gold.
    Agree 100%. Unless it is a big time historical hit I am giving the ball to the nearest kid. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Vaping is for idiots
    Depends on what kind of vaping we are talking about lol
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

I don't get adults doing that either..... But FYI, the Cubs apparently did confirm that these same people had actually caught another ball earlier in the game and gave it to that same kid, and said it with the intention of trying to defend them from too much hate. Didn't work apparently. That part of the story is being ignored - people would rather ruin these people's lives just a little bit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

I don't get adults doing that either..... But FYI, the Cubs apparently did confirm that these same people had actually caught another ball earlier in the game and gave it to that same kid, and said it with the intention of trying to defend them from too much hate. Didn't work apparently. That part of the story is being ignored - people would rather ruin these people's lives just a little bit.
    just saw that part of the story. that being said he still took a ball that was intended for the kid. it was clearly thrown right to the kid who missed it and he picked it up.  to me that's still a jackass move.
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

just saw that part of the story. that being said he still took a ball that was intended for the kid. it was clearly thrown right to the kid who missed it and he picked it up.  to me that's still a jackass move.
    It's kind of jackass - I have to imagine they figured the kid already had a ball, so wtf does he need another for? Dumb move of course, given that it was specifically given to the kid, but with a split second to decide, they made a decision, hahaha. I just hate it when something like this happens, the whole story isn't recongnized by the masses, and people's LIVES are ruined in some cases due to a momentary lapse in reason concerning a fucking baseball. It's really terrible IMO. I think Chicago has already done enough to ruin a life over a baseball!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

It's kind of jackass - I have to imagine they figured the kid already had a ball, so wtf does he need another for? Dumb move of course, given that it was specifically given to the kid, but with a split second to decide, they made a decision, hahaha. I just hate it when something like this happens, the whole story isn't recongnized by the masses, and people's LIVES are ruined in some cases due to a momentary lapse in reason concerning a fucking baseball. It's really terrible IMO. I think Chicago has already done enough to ruin a life over a baseball!

I agree with your assessment of the high profile case (Bartman).

I disagree (second time today lol) with your explanation for the poor behaviour of the adult in this incident). For someone to do that... their character and values are firmly established. This wasn't a case of a really thoughtful, nice guy that all of a sudden went thoughtless and cruel. This was a case of a jackass acting like a jackass.

If we can knock McDonald Trump for walking in front of the queen... we can knock this dickhead for snatching a ball intended for a young child.
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

I disagree (second time today lol) with your explanation for the poor behaviour of the adult in this incident). For someone to do that... their character and values are firmly established. This wasn't a case of a really thoughtful, nice guy that all of a sudden went thoughtless and cruel. This was a case of a jackass acting like a jackass.

If we can knock McDonald Trump for walking in front of the queen... we can knock this dickhead for snatching a ball intended for a young child.
     the fact that the ball was specifically tossed to the kid and this guy took it makes him a jackass regardless of previous actions. if it was a random foul ball, which he already had given one to the kid, then fine but it wasn't.

I do understand PJ Soul's trepidation with these types of situations though.  Split second decisions can go viral and before you know it the internet world is brandishing people with a quick brush.  it's not always a good thing.
  • pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

the fact that the ball was specifically tossed to the kid and this guy took it makes him a jackass regardless of previous actions. if it was a random foul ball, which he already had given one to the kid, then fine but it wasn't.

I do understand PJ Soul's trepidation with these types of situations though.  Split second decisions can go viral and before you know it the internet world is brandishing people with a quick brush.  it's not always a good thing.

We- as a whole- need to be better when rushing to judgement.

Her point is fair for sure. As you and I agree though... this incident is pretty self explanatory.
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

I did not say or intend to say that a really thoughtful nice person suddenly did something like that. I don't think that at all. I agreed that it was a dumb jackass move (that they may or may not have done if they'd stopped to think about it longer). I just don't think that a person who grabs a baseball meant for some kid they don't know, even if that person is generally a bit of a dick, deserves huge negative consequences via a public shaming. The punishment simply doesn't fit the crime in this case, IMO. And I am actually a huge supporter of public shaming when the act calls for it. Grabbing an errant baseball meant for a kid who they previously gave a baseball to themselves simply doesn't apply.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

I did not say or intend to say that a really thoughtful nice person suddenly did something like that. I don't think that at all. I agreed that it was a dumb jackass move (that they may or may not have done if they'd stopped to think about it longer). I just don't think that a person who grabs a baseball meant for some kid they don't know, even if that person is generally a bit of a dick, deserves huge negative consequences via a public shaming. The punishment simply doesn't fit the crime in this case, IMO. And I am actually a huge supporter of public shaming when the act calls for it. Grabbing an errant baseball meant for a kid who they previously gave a baseball to themselves simply doesn't apply.

Well you're kind of getting ahead of yourself.

If he's losing his job and getting death threats... I'm with you. If he's getting teased at work a bit and his buddies are saying, "Joe. Wtf, man?" ... then I'm okay with it.

This isn't a small child. This is a grown man who should behave better.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

If he's losing his job and getting death threats... I'm with you. If he's getting teased at work a bit and his buddies are saying, "Joe. Wtf, man?" ... then I'm okay with it.

That ball was intended for the kid and the dude definitely knew that. He's still a jackass even though he gave a ball to the kid earlier in the game.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

That ball was intended for the kid and the dude definitely knew that. He's still a jackass even though he gave a ball to the kid earlier in the game.

I totally agree.
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

There is no way he's only getting razzed at work over this. It's already international news FFS. I think it is perfectly safe to assume that he's already received death threats and hate messages from strangers over this. Come on, we know what kind of vile shit happens online over these things. And his entire character has already been tainted, even here on this thread.

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    what an asshole/idiot:

Not cool.

I saw this.

There is no way he's only getting razzed at work over this. It's already international news FFS. I think it is perfectly safe to assume that he's already received death threats and hate messages from strangers over this. Come on, we know what kind of vile shit happens online over these things. And his entire character has already been tainted, even here on this thread.

Well I guess he gets a pass from you then.

We can agree to disagree. I don't think he's receiving death threats- that's extreme. There are countless idiots everyday getting splashed all over social media for very similar things. This incident is hardly earth shattering. It's a simple case of an idiot being a jackass.

The very fact that people are discussing the poor behaviour might actually serve society better- talking about what is appropriate behaviour and what isn't.
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

We can agree to disagree. I don't think he's receiving death threats- that's extreme. There are countless idiots everyday getting splashed all over social media for very similar things. This incident is hardly earth shattering. It's a simple case of an idiot being a jackass.

The very fact that people are discussing the poor behaviour might actually serve society better- talking about what is appropriate behaviour and what isn't.
    What does that even mean?? "Gets a pass from me"?? No, he doesn't get a pass from me at all. I thought I was very clear.

I think you're being really naive or something if you think he hasn't already received some really extreme reaction from the random public. I bet you anything this incident is absolutely earth shattering for those two people. Not to you and not to me... but to them, absolutely. And I don't think that is fair. As I say, the punishment just doesn't fit the crime, and the punishment is 100% tied to this public shaming. That does NOT mean I think any differently than you do about what they did - I'm sure we are completely agreement there.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Wait a minute....he gave a ball to the kid earlier in the game?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

What does that even mean?? "Gets a pass from me"?? No, he doesn't get a pass from me at all. I thought I was very clear.

I think you're being really naive or something if you think he hasn't already received some really extreme reaction from the random public. I bet you anything this incident is absolutely earth shattering for those two people. Not to you and not to me... but to them, absolutely. And I don't think that is fair. As I say, the punishment just doesn't fit the crime, and the punishment is 100% tied to this public shaming. That does NOT mean I think any differently than you do about what they did - I'm sure we are completely agreement there.

Okay.

First... I don't think I'm being naïve thinking these people have not received death threats. You come on. Who's issuing death threats to the couple that took a baseball intended for a kid?

And with regards to the 'public shaming' aspect of your assertions... you are simply stating where your line is. Mine- and others here for that matter- have a different line. Do you think the racist white people that are yelling at Mexican people just had 'bad moments' too. If so... should we shame them? I'm assuming you are okay with these folks being broadcast on social media for their behaviour- so they fall into the PJSoul category of 'acceptable to display'? Full grown men snatching a ball intended for a child is unacceptable? Fair enough if that's how you feel.

I feel differently.

And as I said... in the event people took this event too far in regards to their reactions... then I'll speak differently. I'm not prepared to think anything has come out of this but embarrassment- as it should.
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Okay.

First... I don't think I'm being naïve thinking these people have not received death threats. You come on. Who's issuing death threats to the couple that took a baseball intended for a kid?

And with regards to the 'public shaming' aspect of your assertions... you are simply stating where your line is. Mine- and others here for that matter- have a different line. Do you think the racist white people that are yelling at Mexican people just had 'bad moments' too. If so... should we shame them? I'm assuming you are okay with these folks being broadcast on social media for their behaviour- so they fall into the PJSoul category of 'acceptable to display'? Full grown men snatching a ball intended for a child is unacceptable? Fair enough if that's how you feel.

I feel differently.

And as I said... in the event people took this event too far in regards to their reactions... then I'll speak differently. I'm not prepared to think anything has come out of this but embarrassment- as it should.
    Yes, that is right, just like you and everyone else here, I draw my own lines. Nothing wrong with that, and that is actually the entire premise of my argument. I am aware that we feel differently - that is why we're debating it, lol.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

Okay.

I feel differently.

Yes, that is right, just like you and everyone else here, I draw my own lines. Nothing wrong with that, and that is actually the entire premise of my argument. I am aware that we feel differently - that is why we're debating it, lol.

Lol

You drive me bananas sometimes.

I respect your line. I have a feeling I respect it more than you respect mine... and that's okay. I think it's important for people to support their 'lines' (or beliefs) with some degree of thought: 'my position is as follows and here are the reasons why'. 

I guess as long as you can distinguish the fact that the issue is on the table here and not the people discussing it... we can call this exercise meaningful and even beneficial.
    Allie, Del, this is the idiot thread which is intended to comment light heartedly about things idiots do so please stop arguing like two idiots.  ;)
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Allie, Del, this is the idiot thread which is intended to comment light heartedly about things idiots do so please stop arguing like two idiots.  ;)

Lol

We've all got the idiot gene.

To be fair... and it's likely something to do with my maleness... I exercise my idiocy more than she does. I simply can't help myself sometimes. A guy just needs to be a freaking idiot sometimes. It's like resetting yourself.