The video game thread.

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    And the new Red Dead this Fall

I havent played much (any) video games recently, but planning on making some time soon.

Also, I am looking forward to Madden this year.... maybe because I havent played one in a long time, and also all the major QB moves around the league
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Be funny if they make a King of Kong sequel all about Billy's high score controversy.  Call it the King of Con.

I have actually heard that Billy is a really nice guy in person.  Certainly they made him out to be the bad guy in the documentary; the magic of film editing.  Though I will say he hasn't handled the controversy too well.  Claiming to not know what MAME is.  Come on man, your entire claim to celebrity and title to fame is from the video game industry, one in that you're apparently an expert player and you claim to not know what the biggest, most popular form of arcade emulation is?  It's been all the rage in retro gaming for the past 10-15 years!  And then to make vague statements like "the truth will come out."  If you didn't cheat by using emulation, why not just say "I didn't cheat. I stand by my scores."?
    MayDay10 said:
    Also, very intrigued on the new Fallout coming out.  Seems to be about a control vault, like 200 years before Fallout 3, and takes place in Virginia/West Virginia
    Sounds interesting.  I need to get an Xbox.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    edited June 2018
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    MayDay10 said:
    Also, very intrigued on the new Fallout coming out.  Seems to be about a control vault, like 200 years before Fallout 3, and takes place in Virginia/West Virginia
    Should be interesting.  I always get the Fallout games, play them and beat them , but these games are getting far less interesting to me.  I think it's a combination of all the Fallout games being more of less the same thing, semi-crappy stories and there being far better games out there these days.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Be funny if they make a King of Kong sequel all about Billy's high score controversy.  Call it the King of Con.

I have actually heard that Billy is a really nice guy in person.  Certainly they made him out to be the bad guy in the documentary; the magic of film editing.  Though I will say he hasn't handled the controversy too well.  Claiming to not know what MAME is.  Come on man, your entire claim to celebrity and title to fame is from the video game industry, one in that you're apparently an expert player and you claim to not know what the biggest, most popular form of arcade emulation is?  It's been all the rage in retro gaming for the past 10-15 years!  And then to make vague statements like "the truth will come out."  If you didn't cheat by using emulation, why not just say "I didn't cheat. I stand by my scores."?
    I don't know how he really is, but I watched a documentary on the Nibbler arcade game and he provided some commentary. Still seemed kind of douchey to me.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    edited June 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    get him to dish us some juicy info on the next elder scrolls game

MayDay10 said:
    he's actually working on Fallout 76.  not sure what he did exactly.  I'll have to ask him next time i talk to him.  Trailer looks good i suppose.  I'm not a huge gamer though so not sure what the other fallout games are like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FGaan35s0&t

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    New Skyrim to be on mobile?

ugh
    As someone who spent some time growing up in WV, I was really excited for Fallout 76.  I don't even care for that style of game, but it's WV, how can I not play it?  And then they said it will be completely online.  The way it was described it sounds way too battle royale style. That's a huge disappointment to me.  I know they said you *can* play in single player mode, but it seems as they are way more focused on the online multiplayer immersion.  I know that's what most people want these days, and you have to pander to your audience, but man I really wish every game didn't have to be you and 6 pock-faced fucknuts on the fucking internet ALL the time.
    As someone who spent some time growing up in WV, I was really excited for Fallout 76.  I don't even care for that style of game, but it's WV, how can I not play it?  And then they said it will be completely online.  The way it was described it sounds way too battle royale style. That's a huge disappointment to me.  I know they said you *can* play in single player mode, but it seems as they are way more focused on the online multiplayer immersion.  I know that's what most people want these days, and you have to pander to your audience, but man I really wish every game didn't have to be you and 6 pock-faced fucknuts on the fucking internet ALL the time.

I know.  I dont play online games.  My gaming is extremely limited nowadays.... maybe an hour a week give or take.  I dont have the time to invest in getting really good and earning upgrades.  I will not pour money in for micropurchases to short cut that, as I see that as a con.  Its just not fun.
    I miss the days when "multiplayer gaming" meant 4 people at your house.  Not a bunch of fuckface kids calling you gay slurs thru a headset mic.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

NES classic is on sale on Amazon for $60 right now

SNES classic is on sale on Gamestop for $80 right now

Git while the gitten's good!
    Just started playing Octopath Traveler on the Switch.  So far so good.  Good old school RPG mechanics.
    Jason P said:
    Just started playing Octopath Traveler on the Switch.  So far so good.  Good old school RPG mechanics.
    I played the prologue but haven’t bought the full game yet. Sold out everywhere. Suppose I could buy the digital version but I like having resale value with a physical copy. Highly enjoyed it though! I started out with H’aanit then picked up Ophilia. My three hours were up right when her chapter one story ended. 
    I might actually go back start some more save files & play some of the other characters, but I also don’t want to have go thru all the stories again when I get the full version.
    Divinity Sin 2 is coming out on Xbox and PS4.  You can play the first act right now on Xbox.  It's a pretty good port of an amazing PC RPG which was the highest rated metacritic PC game of 2017.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Anyone watch the Video games awards the other week?

One of my friends works at Telltale games in Cali. Anywho I talked to him the other night and he mentioned that where he works won studio of the year and they also won video game of the year for the Walking Dead. Pretty cool cause he helped with making the game and stuff. :)
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

He wasn't let go , but he left around the same time they let people go back in November.  He just started working at Bethesda in MD a few months ago.  He seems to like it.  He's closer to "home"  and it's a little cheaper living there than in San Rafael. 

and Telltale games is out of business.  My friend called me last night to tell me. 

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Signed up for the free trial for Switch Online.  Played a little Excitebike, Tecmo Bowl, Mario Bros, Mario 3, Dr. Mario, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon, & Gradius today.  I can see this being pretty fun once they add more games.  The thing I was worried most about was latency but it seems to be pretty responsive.  If there is any lag, it's hardly noticeable.  One thing I know is I really suck at these old games now in my adult life!
    Signed up for the free trial for Switch Online.  Played a little Excitebike, Tecmo Bowl, Mario Bros, Mario 3, Dr. Mario, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon, & Gradius today.  I can see this being pretty fun once they add more games.  The thing I was worried most about was latency but it seems to be pretty responsive.  If there is any lag, it's hardly noticeable.  One thing I know is I really suck at these old games now in my adult life!
    They are tough as shit those games...

However, I did notice some of it comes from the easy access to games within menus, and not sticking with it.  As opposed to sinking $50 into a game or your 1 Blockbuster rental for the week.  

I started playing Castlevania a couple weeks ago... very very tough game.  I am an assassin now because I decided to primarily play that instead of jump around so much.  I can finish the 1st 4 levels without dying, and sometimes the 5th as well.  In the spring I did the same for Super Mario Land, a Gameboy game I could not beat as a kid, but set out to complete it (and did).
    MayDay10 said:
    They are tough as shit those games...

However, I did notice some of it comes from the easy access to games within menus, and not sticking with it.  As opposed to sinking $50 into a game or your 1 Blockbuster rental for the week.  

I started playing Castlevania a couple weeks ago... very very tough game.  I am an assassin now because I decided to primarily play that instead of jump around so much.  I can finish the 1st 4 levels without dying, and sometimes the 5th as well.  In the spring I did the same for Super Mario Land, a Gameboy game I could not beat as a kid, but set out to complete it (and did).
    The sad thing is that I was damn good at these games when I was a kid.  I remember Bo Jackson was unstoppable on Tecmo Bowl.  Wouldn't you know it, I got tackled for a loss EVERY time I ran the ball with that fucker. I can't get past the first level of Gradius!
    Good point about the easy access.  Back when we were kids, you'd have to power off the console, take the game out, spend 5 minutes deciding on what to play next, put that game in, and power on.  It was a process and certainly incentive to keep playing what game you already had in.  And with rentals (or borrowing a friend's game) you had to have the game back within the next day or two, so you had limited time to get as good as possible and as far as you could.
    I also wonder how much "anytime" saves have spoiled us over the years.  Games were brutal back in the day. Game Over was just that - game the fuck over.  You didn't have the advantage of starting where you left off every time you die like you do in today's games. That meant much more exposure to earlier levels of games, memorizing patterns, honing your skills, muscle memory, etc.  Nowadays, you can just inch forward and never look back.
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, I try not to save-state spam wherever possible (playing retro game ROMs).  But in a day and age where I have a full time job, kids, end of life within a fathomable distance (anywhere between 1 second and 50 years from now).... I just cant spend 4 hours grinding it out to finally outlast an evasive level, or finding a mandatory item or door randomly hidden on the software with almost no clues.  

But if you do set yourself into 1 game and play enough to master the simple physics and CPU-enemy patterns.  Its possible to get good again.

I hate to get all curmudgeon, but games are so easy now compared to 8-bit and 16 bit days.  Some games were just brutal.  Silver Surfer, TMNT, Battletoads.  Battletoads was like a literal training program that you had to mesmerize a precise sequence of commands, playing to learn an inch more of the game so you can learn another 'lesson'.

Over the winter, I am considering a project where I hook up some of my old systems to my TV.  Im just worried Ill get into collecting old games, and I cant take another collecting hobby
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    One more month!

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Any 10club clans on Destiny? Downloaded it this month 
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • My life has sucked since leaving my ps3 for ps4. Okay not literally, but I loved the 3. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Forza Horizon 4 is pretty damn amazing.  I could never get into past Horizon games and prefer sim racing but this one is clicking on all cylinders. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    New Assasin's Creed Odyssey is more than perfect!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    MayDay10 said:
    Over the winter, I am considering a project where I hook up some of my old systems to my TV.  Im just worried Ill get into collecting old games, and I cant take another collecting hobby
    I fell down that rabbit hole. Beware.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
    They got me

I pre-ordered a playstation classic
  • MayDay10 said:
    They got me

I pre-ordered a playstation classic
    I just couldn't do it...  I've got a SNES classic still sitting in the box waiting to be played...
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Jason P said:
    One more month!

Yes! Can't wait!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    Civ VI on the newer iPhones works surprisingly well.  I thought the small screen would be an issue but it is somehow easier to control then on the iPad.  A must get if you are a Civ fan