Eddie Vedder to perform at Global Citizen Fest: Mandela 100 in Johannesburg December 2nd

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
edited July 2018 in The Porch

NEWS JULY 9 2018

Eddie will be performing at the Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100 on December 2nd at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.

This free-ticketed event will celebrate the centenary year of Nelson Mandela, honoring his legacy in the fight to end extreme poverty.

"It is such an honor to be given the chance to head to South Africa to celebrate Nelson Mandela's incomparable legacy. He showed an entire generation what it means to be a leader and make a difference for the world's poor. I'm so grateful that this event will serve as a reminder of his great work and inspire us all to carry on in his name," said Eddie.

Visit Global Citizen to view the full lineup and learn how to earn free tickets to the festival.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Interesting. Wonder if the band would ever get down there too
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Cool lineup. Honest blog.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    That is a pretty awesome lineup!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    I’m really excited about this. Have been on 4 continents away from home to see the band and now Eddie performing on our shores. Super excited! 
    rustedsigns
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Been to South Africa 3 times  Not sure I could resist going back if It were the band 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I am hoping that Eddie convinces the band to include South Africa in the next tour after the release of new material. Its long overdue. 
    rustedsigns
    I am hoping that Eddie convinces the band to include South Africa in the next tour after the release of new material. Its long overdue. 
    Would of been sweet if all the members of Pearl Jam made there way to South Africa and played a set.
    demetrios said:
    Would of been sweet if all the members of Pearl Jam made there way to South Africa and played a set.
    That would be super cool man! 
    rustedsigns
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    please please no EV zippo for this show. South Africa is a little far for me to get to from South Jersey for merch LOL
  • branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    please please no EV zippo for this show. South Africa is a little far for me to get to from South Jersey for merch LOL
    I don't think there are flights from the northeast
    i gotta see what the travel time would be
    LOL I'll pick up one for you :)B)
    rustedsigns
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What are we thinking, 3 songs tops?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    LOL I'll pick up one for you :)B)
    and if you do, i will pay for you to have one too! :)
  • AbiRamaAbiRama Durban, South Africa Posts: 15
    Oooh. We might or might not go.. depending on how many songs he plays?

Dear Ten Club

Having seen the band 16 times (would have been 17 as I lost out on Night 2 at the O2 in London this year due to the postponement on account of Eddie having lost his voice), on 4 continents, in 10 cities in the last 12 years plus 3 Eddie solo shows in Brisbane in 2014, I am super excited about seeing Eddie at the Global Citizen Festival in my hometown of Johannesburg, South Africa on 2 December 2018! 

I was wondering whether there would be any chance of meeting him to shake his hand and to say: 'welcome to South Africa and thank you for the music'. That's all. 

Alternatively, to have him over at my place in Joburg for a beer and some warm South African hospitality while we chat about how we can set up a music school for disadvantaged youth and an environmental awareness centre focusing on climate change initiatives.... and a chat about modern humans having evolved in Africa....LOL! Or perhaps talk about how to do some collaborative work between the Vitalogy Foundation and some other activism initiatives in this part of the world. 

Even if I don't get to meet him the fact that he is performing in my hometown as part of the Nelson Mandela Centenary Celebrations is truly special and more important to me than any chance of meeting him. 

I am also hoping that this trip will convince Eddie to bring the band out to our wonderful shores in the not too distant future. 

Anyway just thought there would be no harm in asking and I am sure you get these sorts of requests all the time...
    rustedsigns
    Hope you get your request. 2 weeks to go. :) 
    edited November 2018
    demetrios said:
    Hope you get your request. 2 weeks to go. :) 
    I did get a regret reply from 10 club. Completely understandable of course. 

Would have loved to just get to shake his hand and say hello.  B)

Super excited about seeing him perform at the Global Citizen Festival here in Johannesburg next weekend!
    Post edited by southernmanfan on
    rustedsigns
    Any 10 clubbers heading over to South Africa for the Global Citizen Festival in Johannesburg on 2 December? 

Feel free to pm me if you are and if you need any advice-or a place to stay. 
    rustedsigns
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I wonder if Ed will have a set or if he'll do what he did last time and sing with different artists
    I miss igotid88
  • Hoping for another song with Beyoncé!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"