Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    I read that the other day. It was all on Washington Nationals season tickets. He paid it all off, but it was strange and seemed really dumb of him. Sounds like an addiction issue if you can pile up that much debt buying season and playoff tickets. He does have the lowest assets of any justice. Way less than Gorsuch had coming in.
    yes lots of Nats tickets.   They have a $1.2 million dollar home and combined they made around $300,000 a year. seems like they are living close to the edge.  
    Hey though, what could go wrong with a financially unstable judge prone to debt. I'm sure he can't be bought.

Yeah, the home value really threw me off when I saw the income amounts. Didn't make sense. Also read some of the debt was related to home improvement costs.
    What about the home value vs income throws you off?
    Maybe it shouldn't have. I guess a home that costs 4x your annual income is pretty normal these days. Just not how I'd ever want to be financially strained. I guess they could have put down a large down payment so probably just poor speculation on my part.

I live in an expensive part of the world. You can't really buy a house for less than a million. Nothing about that scenario seems unusual to me, though maybe it should. People with lower income than that are somehow purchasing houses. 
    how about $200,000 in credit card debt?  that is just crazy.

Hey, I'm not arguing in favour of it, and that much credit card debt seems crazy to me, too. It's just that the house price seems fairly routine to me. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    I read that the other day. It was all on Washington Nationals season tickets. He paid it all off, but it was strange and seemed really dumb of him. Sounds like an addiction issue if you can pile up that much debt buying season and playoff tickets. He does have the lowest assets of any justice. Way less than Gorsuch had coming in.
    yes lots of Nats tickets.   They have a $1.2 million dollar home and combined they made around $300,000 a year. seems like they are living close to the edge.  
    Hey though, what could go wrong with a financially unstable judge prone to debt. I'm sure he can't be bought.

Yeah, the home value really threw me off when I saw the income amounts. Didn't make sense. Also read some of the debt was related to home improvement costs.
    Maybe it shouldn't have. I guess a home that costs 4x your annual income is pretty normal these days. Just not how I'd ever want to be financially strained. I guess they could have put down a large down payment so probably just poor speculation on my part.

I live in an expensive part of the world. You can't really buy a house for less than a million. Nothing about that scenario seems unusual to me, though maybe it should. People with lower income than that are somehow purchasing houses. 
    how about $200,000 in credit card debt?  that is just crazy.
    The debtor is slave to the lender.  I cannot fathom having that kind of credit card debt.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,947
    $200K does seem high but there is a game that can be played with credit card balances.  If you have a lot of available credit, credit card companies constantly offer 0% interest (sometimes there is a 1-3% fee...but still better than home equity line interest) so it is possible that he is playing a timing game where he pays off his home equity line (likely at a higher rate) with these credit card offers.  Then, as the offers expire, he pays off the credit card debt with home equity line funds.

So....it might just be home equity line debt parked on lower interest credit cards
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited July 2018
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

? A $1.2 million home is the average price of a home, including condos, where I live, and almost nobody has a household income anywhere remotely near $300,000. I see nothing at all odd about that house price/income factoid. Actually, I'm surprised they have a home that ONLY cost $1.2M.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

? A $1.2 million home is the average price of a home, including condos, where I live, and almost nobody has a household income anywhere remotely near $300,000. I see nothing at all odd about that salary/income factoid. Actually, I'm surprised they have a home that ONLY cost $1.2M.
    Lets be honest as well.  Vancouver is not a real good comparison of what most people pay for homes in areas...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

? A $1.2 million home is the average price of a home, including condos, where I live, and almost nobody has a household income anywhere remotely near $300,000. I see nothing at all odd about that salary/income factoid. Actually, I'm surprised they have a home that ONLY cost $1.2M.
    Lets be honest as well.  Vancouver is not a real good comparison of what most people pay for homes in areas...
    No, but that's really not the point. My point is that the home price vs the household salary isn't "fishy". It doesn't matter which market they're in. And I'm not really clear on what market we're talking about, but if we're talking DC, then it's definitely not fishy, as the housing market there is just as brutal as it is in Vancouver.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,214
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Wow. I guess I'm a little behind the times then. Where I live, 1.2 million is a mansion or 100's of acres of land with a modest home and out buildings. I didn't like paying 200k for our house because of the payments. My wife and I often wonder how everyone affords the 500k plus houses, but then again only I work full time and for the state at that.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Wow. I guess I'm a little behind the times then. Where I live, 1.2 million is a mansion or 100's of acres of land with a modest home and out buildings. I didn't like paying 200k for our house because of the payments. My wife and I often wonder how everyone affords the 500k plus houses, but then again only I work full time and for the state at that.
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Oh, god, I would love to have a housing option of only $500,000. And $200,000 seems like some quaint little historical fact. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Oh, god, I would love to have a housing option of only $500,000. And $200,000 seems like some quaint little historical fact. 
    Right?!? Even when that "history" hails from maybe 2001, lol. Hell, owning property of any kind is completely out of the question for me and many, many others. I don't even consider it a possibility. My thoughts are focused solely on the rental market, which is also totally insane, but at least I don't need to save $150,000+ just for a down payment on a condo, because there isn't a chance in hell that I'd ever be able to achieve such a feat!
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    We should all be more concerned with his testimony before Congress during his confirmation hearings in 2006 as it appears that some of his testimony may have been misleading. Does anyone here really think Tesm Trump Treason properly vetted their Supreme Court nominee?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Right?!? Even when that "history" hails from maybe 2001, lol. Hell, owning property of any kind is completely out of the question for me and many, many others. I don't even consider it a possibility. My thoughts are focused solely on the rental market, which is also totally insane, but at least I don't need to save $150,000+ just for a down payment on a condo, because there isn't a chance in hell that I'd ever be able to achieve such a feat!
    Holy crap, I knew costs of living were a little higher up there, but those prices are crazy!  My 2000 square foot house with a good portion of land in a good neighborhood cost me less than $200,000 here in northern TX.   No wonder this city has been growing like crazy lately!
    For reference:

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Holy crap, I knew costs of living were a little higher up there, but those prices are crazy!  My 2000 square foot house with a good portion of land in a good neighborhood cost me less than $200,000 here in northern TX.   No wonder this city has been growing like crazy lately!
    For reference:

Oh yeah, Texas is generally DIRT cheap! I know this because at some point I decided to research housing prices in the US, and discovered that you get by far the most bang for your buck in Texas, and especially in the Dallas area. There are basically mansions on huge properties listed for around $200K, it's crazy. I'm not sure you can even buy something in a trailer park for that cheap here, lol ..... Of course, even with those prices, it isn't worth moving to the USA right now. ;)
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Where I live 1.2 gets me a home on a lake and condo in Arizona for the winter and a new car and some spending money...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    My home goes on the market in 2 weeks for 239 000 ... guarantee its far nicer than 95% of those condos, with no monthly fees ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    My home goes on the market in 2 weeks for 239 000 ... guarantee its far nicer than 95% of those condos, with no monthly fees ...
    I'm sure it is - I don't think anyone with a brain is or would be arguing that. We're all well aware of the fact that this issue is specific to only a small number of regions in Canada. Lol, real estate prices across the country is a topic of conversation in Vancouver like traffic is a topic of conversation in LA. Everyone is obsessed with it, and it's guaranteed to be included as a story in some context or other every single day on the local morning and evening news. We're dealing with a serious affordability crisis here, and it touches so many different aspects of society.
  • Options
    Nothing would get me to move to Texas, even if my house was free. I love where I live. Unfortunately, so do a lot of other people ;)
  • Options
    Nothing would get me to move to Texas, even if my house was free. I love where I live. Unfortunately, so do a lot of other people ;)
    Ditto! And if I ever do move, it will be north, not south. I'm thinking maybe climate change could drive me north someday, like when I retire.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,214
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ditto! And if I ever do move, it will be north, not south. I'm thinking maybe climate change could drive me north someday, like when I retire.
    I'm as close to Canada as you can get here in Minnesota and it's one of the only midwest states I would ever live in.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    A long read but worth it. It describes basically what is happening in the US and around the world. Basically, the Uber rich have too much money. Hey, I know, let’s cut their taxes!

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/07/the-death-of-new-york-city-gentrification/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Wavering Rand sets off Supreme Court spectacle - POLITICO https://apple.news/A9HOkTdyDQ2GgONCZcKRf3Q
    Grandstanding as always he will fall right in line when the vote is needed another spineless politician ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Meh, it’s not all bad around here.  What I enjoy is the ability to make good money, invest extra in retirement, buy a good house, make donations, and still afford to go on vacations whenever I please...all without going into debt :). Haven’t had a vehicle or credit card payment in 15 years or so.  I couldn’t imagine my whole paycheck going towards my mortgage...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Meh, it’s not all bad around here.  What I enjoy is the ability to make good money, invest extra in retirement, buy a good house, make donations, and still afford to go on vacations whenever I please...all without going into debt :). Haven’t had a vehicle or credit card payment in 15 years or so.  I couldn’t imagine my whole paycheck going towards my mortgage...
    I just wouldn't be caught dead living in that climate. You couldn't pay me to live there (not that anyone's offering, lol). It's just too fucking hot! I can't imagine my whole paycheck going towards my mortgage either, and that's why I don't own and probably never will! ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I just wouldn't be caught dead living in that climate. You couldn't pay me to live there (not that anyone's offering, lol). It's just too fucking hot! I can't imagine my whole paycheck going towards my mortgage either, and that's why I don't own and probably never will! ;)
    I agree that it is way too fucking hot here sometimes, especially this past week (over 100 F every day).  Thank goodness we are getting a break this week (80s with rain chances :)). My garden was hating the heat last week.  My main argument against renting is that you are flushing your money down the drain. At least when you are buying a house you build up equity.  Once you have enough equity, buying in the future is a LOT easier, not to mention the investment  if you decided to rent the place out in the future.  I don’t know what I would do if average house prices were in the range of $500,000, though...probably live in a tent, lol
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I agree that it is way too fucking hot here sometimes, especially this past week (over 100 F every day).  Thank goodness we are getting a break this week (80s with rain chances :)). My garden was hating the heat last week.  My main argument against renting is that you are flushing your money down the drain. At least when you are buying a house you build up equity.  Once you have enough equity, buying in the future is a LOT easier, not to mention the investment  if you decided to rent the place out in the future.  I don’t know what I would do if average house prices were in the range of $500,000, though...probably live in a tent, lol
    That is very much up for debate. In a housing market like the one I'm living with, many experts argue that it is the smart economic move to NOT own. After all the interest on the mortgage, the property taxes, and all the money you pour into a home over the years, and still taking into account the speculation factor of ownership, it turns out that in many, many cases that it was actually fiscally preferable in the long term to rent. That becomes even more true if you bring into that a burst housing bubble, which is always at least a bit of a risk in a hot housing market. But yeah, in markets where homes are cheap, like you are, this isn't the case. In markets where people seem to be happily buying $1.5M detached homes when their household income is only $90K or something, it quite likely to be the case.
    In any case, yeah, with average prices at $1.2M including condos, and the average individual income being only $40K or something like that, lol, the issue is rendered completely moot for most people who don't have a pretty hefty inheritance coming their way.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    That is very much up for debate. In a housing market like the one I'm living with, many experts argue that it is the smart economic move to NOT own. After all the interest on the mortgage, the property taxes, and all the money you pour into a home over the years, and still taking into account the speculation factor of ownership, it turns out that in many, many cases that it was actually fiscally preferable in the long term to rent. That becomes even more true if you bring into that a burst housing bubble, which is always at least a bit of a risk in a hot housing market. But yeah, in markets where homes are cheap, like you are, this isn't the case. In markets where people seem to be happily buying $1.5M detached homes when their household income is only $90K or something, it quite likely to be the case.
    In any case, yeah, with average prices at $1.2M including condos, and the average individual income being only $40K or something like that, lol, the issue is rendered completely moot for most people who don't have a pretty hefty inheritance coming their way.
    That’s interesting, renting vs buying.... my wife dragged me from the northeast to Texas after law school years ago.  It’s hot as shit in the summer but man it is amazing here for 8 months of the year.  I’m in a similar situation as pjpower it seems, although he/she is in Dallas and I’m in Austin,  similar markets but Austin is growing faster population wise.  I couldn’t have afforded shit where I grew up or in Cali where I lived for years, no way- but here the idea of renting would be insane.  In 5 years my little house has gone up 60% in value, the 200K I spent then if I sold now would bring in more than 310k.  It’s crazy.  But that’s pretty much the cash in our back pockets now, and we’ll sell in a few years and probably get out of tx and closer to the beach.

i rented for years and probably since I’ve never lived in a place like Vancouver (although I did live in San Fran for a while which may be close?) I just can’t see how renting would ever be a smarter decision in the long term.  Renting you just don’t have to deal with the costs of ownership, but the upside is massive for ownership. Interesting the costs you lost though, I can totally see that.  Do you own or lease your car, just curious?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    That’s interesting, renting vs buying.... my wife dragged me from the northeast to Texas after law school years ago.  It’s hot as shit in the summer but man it is amazing here for 8 months of the year.  I’m in a similar situation as pjpower it seems, although he/she is in Dallas and I’m in Austin,  similar markets but Austin is growing faster population wise.  I couldn’t have afforded shit where I grew up or in Cali where I lived for years, no way- but here the idea of renting would be insane.  In 5 years my little house has gone up 60% in value, the 200K I spent then if I sold now would bring in more than 310k.  It’s crazy.  But that’s pretty much the cash in our back pockets now, and we’ll sell in a few years and probably get out of tx and closer to the beach.

i rented for years and probably since I’ve never lived in a place like Vancouver (although I did live in San Fran for a while which may be close?) I just can’t see how renting would ever be a smarter decision in the long term.  Renting you just don’t have to deal with the costs of ownership, but the upside is massive for ownership. Interesting the costs you lost though, I can totally see that.  Do you own or lease your car, just curious?
    I live car free. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Shit I get why you don’t care to buy anything- you don’t own anything, so why f’n bother!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    My house in 8 years home has doubled.   A pretty good ROI that apartments do not offer.  I listed today.  Already have cash offers in.  Home ownership can be profitable.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Why Kavanaugh’s Criticism of United States v. Nixon Should Worry Robert Mueller - Slate https://apple.news/Axl200za5T32hftIZK9fF3A
    This is Baffoon’s ace up his sleeve he totally believes the president to be above the law !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....