Losing a channel on my stereo?

So I am losing a leg/channel from my amp.

Is this just a cleaning I have to do or is it worse than that?

Anybody on Longisland that does work on them?

Thanks

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Are you losing a channel with every source you have connected?

Start with the easy stuff. Unplug and reconnect your speaker wires and all of the cables for your other equipment one at a time. (Unplug the amp from the wall first.)

Next would be moving all of the knobs and pushing all of the buttons while the amp is on and set to a low volume. You're looking to see if there is any crackling or noise present while manipulating the controls. This may help narrow down the culprit.

If none of that helps, try swapping the speaker wires so the right channel goes to the left speaker and vice versa. See if the dropped channel is still on the same side or if it moved to the other side.

Hope this helps.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    dudeman said:

Start with the easy stuff. Unplug and reconnect your speaker wires and all of the cables for your other equipment one at a time. (Unplug the amp from the wall first.)

Next would be moving all of the knobs and pushing all of the buttons while the amp is on and set to a low volume. You're looking to see if there is any crackling or noise present while manipulating the controls. This may help narrow down the culprit.

If none of that helps, try swapping the speaker wires so the right channel goes to the left speaker and vice versa. See if the dropped channel is still on the same side or if it moved to the other side.

Hope this helps.

I'll try when I am home.
    dudeman said:

Hope this helps.

Cables and connections are fine.

All buttons and knobs are good.  No crackling there.

Dropped channel when I switched sides still just on the other side now.

What's a boy to do now?
    edited May 2018
    If the problem moved to the other side, I would suspect speaker trouble or speaker wires if you moved them with the speakers.

If one side of the amp wasn't working, the lost channel wouldn't move to the other side.

Are you losing a channel with your turntable, radio and CD player or just one source?
    dudeman said:
    If the problem moved to the other side, I would suspect speaker trouble or speaker wires if you moved them with the speakers.

If one side of the amp wasn't working, the lost channel wouldn't move to the other side.

Are you losing a channel with your turntable, radio and CD player or just one source?
    Sorry.  I meant that when I switch the wires the same side of the port goes out.  Both speakers work.
    I'm afraid it might be time to take it to a tech, my friend.

Good luck.
    dudeman said:

Good luck.
    It had a good run...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    dudeman said:

Good luck.
    It had a good run...
    Before you give up, maybe get canned air and blow out any dust then try one of the Deoxit contact cleaners.  I hear they work great.

or

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

That's good stuff. 
    Hey OP. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
  • dudeman said:
    Hey OP. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
    I haven't messed with it in a while.  Been too busy to dive in it.
    If I can help, shoot me a PM. I'll walk you through whatever I can.

Good luck!