Options

Standing up in seated sections....

Comments

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    If a person is disabled and behind me, I'd just swap seats.  I don't care if I'm a foot farther back. They enjoy the show, I enjoy the show.  Otherwise, if they just want to sit...that's their prerogative but geez...I wait sometimes years to see the boys perform, I can't bottle that shit up!! 
    This
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    I remember we we went to a Matt Good show in Hamilton at a venue that was all seated.  Some people standing (my wife and I included but no one seated around us wanted us to sit down, or atleast they didnt voice their opinion)  Matt Good stops playing pulls out a stool and starts playing some slow music sitting down (not even sure it was his song) gets midway through and goes "how do you fucking people like it, this is a rock show, why is everyone sitting, is it better if I sit as well???!!)  That got pretty much everyone standing and he got back into rocking out.  It was funny to see his reaction to the majority of people sitting, almost like it was insulting to him (only my opinion) but thats what it seemed like.
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    Bruce Springsteen in Perth Arena W.A.
    2 Tours 4 shows. Other than a small pit it was all seated.
    Having travelled half way round the world I was for standing.
    Hardly anyone in the seats stood up at all 4 shows.

1st show I was threatended with knife across the neck action if I didn't sit.

2nd Show I was back row of the flat and stood all night. This night he opened with Highway to Hell to get every one up.  Not a chance. Later in the show they put a 30 secend countdown on the big screens and he said they would quit if people were not standing by the end of the 30 seconds.  On the last 2 or 3 seconds people stood for that song then sat again.

3rd show side stage and no around us standing so many complaints when we stood. So we headed down to a disabled section much nearer the stage and stood behind the wheelchairs etc and rocked out. Looked back up to our section and even during the climax of the show they were still all seated.

4th show luckily in the pit but rest of the arena seated.

Some people eh?

'06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    I stand unless the people in front of me are sitting....doesn't happen often
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    dingers said:
    Sit if you like but don't be bummed when people stand.  
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    Not much else that I can recall.  Those were nice rest songs, though.
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    Playing devils advocate, but what if you have a hidden disability and dont want to be in a "disabled section" or want any special treatment?Or what if you simply have trouble standing?
    You don’t want special treatment, but want to make others sit when they want to stand?
    10c made it very clear GA was very limited, so the argument that if you want to stand go with GA doesn’t hold up.

i don’t think there’s a perfect answer do the exceptions. I’ve never sat at a PJ show and don’t plan to. I’d feel bad if the person behind me has a physical disability preventing them from standing. But as others said, there are accommodations for that. If you are to ashamed to ask for those accommodations then I guess it isn’t fair to ask someone to sit.
    sometimes they may not be available or whatever, and if someone told me they physically couldn’t stand then I may switch with them.
    But how is that any different from me being 5’9” getting stuck behind someone 6’6” in GA?

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I've never had anyone sit down around me at a Pearl Jam show.  Only time i was in a section where everyone was sitting was at a Black Keys show and we were in the 300 level at the opposite end from the stage.  Did not seem right to be sitting during a concert.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    This happened to me recently. I didn't even say anything to the person. I immediately walked up to security and told them person behind me is harassing me to sit down. The security said no problem and went over to the sitter and told him to shut up or get out. Fucker, think I'm sitting at a rock show, no thanks. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Communicate respectfully. I stand and if the energy gets me going, I jump and headbang.  A lot.  All while being mindful of others around me. I don't bump, I don't spill. The problem I've had with this is the few times I've been asked, people came at me very aggressively right off the bat, like I'm a dick for standing up.  Depending on the crowd in front of me, I will consider sitting for those unable to stand if they ask nicely.  However, if you talk to me in a I'm-gonna-tell-you-how-to-live-your-life kinda tone, I will just say no and remain standing up for the rest of the time.  Ok, I know we're watching the Avengers in a theater! And?!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    It's never occurred to me to sit down in a Pearl Jam concert ever (other than between encores). I'll admit that if I'm the only one standing in my section or nobody is standing in front of me, I do feel a bit self conscious, but I'm not sure it would even be possible for me to sit.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Yeah, I’ve never seen anyone sit at a PJ show, but I’ve only been to 13 of them.  Saw plenty of dudes standing with arms crossed motionless in the GA section.  Maybe they should trade with people who want to jump around, sing, dance, and show some emotion.  Geez.  You’re at a fucking rock concert.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I was in the upper level at Charlottesville.  My entire section was sitting.  Except for me and my friends.  I even tried coaxing everyone up off their asses. Turned around, faced them all, waving my arms upward.  People just smiled and laughed and kept sitting.  Bums.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    milan said:
    Bruce Springsteen in Perth Arena W.A.
    2 Tours 4 shows. Other than a small pit it was all seated.
    Having travelled half way round the world I was for standing.
    Hardly anyone in the seats stood up at all 4 shows.

1st show I was threatended with knife across the neck action if I didn't sit.

Next time don't sit in front of this guy...

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    PP193448 said:
    Yeah, I’ve never seen anyone sit at a PJ show, but I’ve only been to 13 of them.  Saw plenty of dudes standing with arms crossed motionless in the GA section.  Maybe they should trade with people who want to jump around, sing, dance, and show some emotion.  Geez.  You’re at a fucking rock concert.

They were probably musicians.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    fizzyadefizzyade Posts: 5
    Just to weigh in on this.  We had seated tickets for last night and I remained seated throughout the show.

I have a number of hidden disabilities and normally we'd buy disabled access tickets, but when the tickets went back on sale for the second night there were none available so I grabbed what I could knowing that I'd have to remain seated (use a wheelchair for gigs).

I spent the whole evening in considerable pain because I forgot to bring my morphine, but still had an ace time.  I've learned to accept that people want to stand at some gigs in seated areas, so it's my lookout and it's for that very reason that we buy accessible tickets so that I can remain seated.

I pretty much had an unobstructed view of the screens all night and the people in front would sit down or nip out every so often so I got to see the stage as well occasionally.

What was slightly annoying was that there were loads of spaces on the platform, so if I'd bought my wheelchair I probably could have sorted it out.

It is what it is, I don't think I have any more particular right to have people sit down in front of me just because I have to remain seated.

What was funny though was that my seat had been sold twice, somebody came along with a ticket with exactly the same seat number!  Seemed to happen to a few folks as well.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:p
    dingers said:
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    Playing devils advocate, but what if you have a hidden disability and dont want to be in a "disabled section" or want any special treatment?Or what if you simply have trouble standing?
    You don’t want special treatment, but want to make others sit when they want to stand?
    10c made it very clear GA was very limited, so the argument that if you want to stand go with GA doesn’t hold up.

i don’t think there’s a perfect answer do the exceptions. I’ve never sat at a PJ show and don’t plan to. I’d feel bad if the person behind me has a physical disability preventing them from standing. But as others said, there are accommodations for that. If you are to ashamed to ask for those accommodations then I guess it isn’t fair to ask someone to sit.
    sometimes they may not be available or whatever, and if someone told me they physically couldn’t stand then I may switch with them.
    But how is that any different from me being 5’9” getting stuck behind someone 6’6” in GA?

Last time i stood in seating i had a chat with people behind me to make sure they were going to stand and if not then i was going to offer to swap seats. Just taking care of those nearby really.

I think its stupid to sit at a gig in the same way i stand at football matches as i physically cant sit down because its too exciting.

BUT and this is the big but here, its not fair for anyone to assume anything about the people around them. If someone asks you to sit down then you can ask them to swap or ask them if they want to stand up. Standing in front of someone who has asked you to sit is so arrogant and not in the spirit id expect with PJ fans.

There is no perfect solution but being considerate of your neighbour isnt an unfair thing to ask.

Seems like the OP didnt make any provision, was asked to sit and almost told them to fuck off. That's so out of order. 

Rock gig or not. Just consider others may have issues and be nice to people. Its not that tough is it
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    I think when going to a high energy rock show, as an attendee you need to expect that a large number of the crowd will be standing, singing and yelling. If you are a person with special needs that needs to stay seated, I think it's important to plan your seating location accordingly if possible. If you have no issues standing the whole time but are seated next to a handicap location, dude you really should sit or move to a different location.

Read the room, read the performers.
  • Options
    I think when going to a high energy rock show, as an attendee you need to expect that a large number of the crowd will be standing, singing and yelling. If you are a person with special needs that needs to stay seated, I think it's important to plan your seating location accordingly if possible. If you have no issues standing the whole time but are seated next to a handicap location, dude you really should sit or move to a different location.

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that.

There are only limited spaces for accessible customers and they generally fall into 2 categories, ambulatory and non ambulatory.  Priority for the platforms is given to wheelchair users, other disabled access customers may be given seats in general seating where there are limited steps, no guarantee of being on the front of a row or anything.

Last night was the first time for a long time that I've sat in normal seating, but being a seasoned gig goer I knew people would be standing around me and I knew this when I booked the tickets (as I couldn't get accessible ones in the resale) but the opportunity came up for tickets for the second night so couldn't resist.

The O2 is pretty good for access, they have a number of platforms but for popular gigs people are always going to lose out.

You have to make the best of the situation though.

In an ideal world there would be enough accessible seating spaces for everyone, but sadly there isn't.
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I think its OK for people to ask. But they should never have an expectation that someone will actually comply. Its a concert! Same at any sporting event. That dude has an unrealistic expectation.
    100%.

People who don't want to stand are blessed with the official bootlegs, giving them the easy ability to hear the whole concert for a lower price, and they can do whatever they want. It blows my mind people actually expect anyone to sit down.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806

ZeldaZonk said:
    Speaking as someone who usually sits the majority of any show, not all of us are able to physically endure standing for three or more hours. I go to multiple shows a month, but I couldn't do it if I had to stand. I shouldn't be expected to "go watch a f*ucking opera" or "stay home and watch on tv" or "go home and watch on youtube". That's pretty rude. I'd love to be able to hang out in GA like most of us would prefer, but it's not in the cards. Yet I don't want to miss out on an amazing live performance and shouldn't be expected to, so the seats are my option. And I'm definitely one of those who dances in the seats, so don't think I'm not having a blast just because I'm not standing. It's just not ideal to be trying to see the show when all you can see are the people's backs and butts in front of you. Watching it on the jumbo screens is NOT the same, but sometimes that's the only way to see. 

And for those who think sitting during a concert is lame, I was at a rock show in Seattle two months ago. It was front row of the balcony, and I had two members of PJ sitting in the same row as me. One was directly next to me on my right, the other was a few seats down on my left side. Do you think either of them stood? NOPE! And out of respect for the guys, that's all I'm going to say about that evening.
    This is completely a valid point of view, but you wouldn't have the expectation that people will sit down, correct?
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited July 2018
    Pearl Jam feed off the energy which can make a show great. I guess people enjoy shows in their own way but I can't help to move around when they are playing. If you were seeing something more of a show with lights etc then I guess seating would be ok.

So not unreasonable but it's hard to get into the mindest of a casual fan. 
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    fizzyade said:

There are only limited spaces for accessible customers and they generally fall into 2 categories, ambulatory and non ambulatory.  Priority for the platforms is given to wheelchair users, other disabled access customers may be given seats in general seating where there are limited steps, no guarantee of being on the front of a row or anything.

Last night was the first time for a long time that I've sat in normal seating, but being a seasoned gig goer I knew people would be standing around me and I knew this when I booked the tickets (as I couldn't get accessible ones in the resale) but the opportunity came up for tickets for the second night so couldn't resist.

The O2 is pretty good for access, they have a number of platforms but for popular gigs people are always going to lose out.

In an ideal world there would be enough accessible seating spaces for everyone, but sadly there isn't.
    I know things aren't simple. I'm going to be one that in the future is going to need special accommodations where possible, as my EDS is destroying my spine. EDS is very often an invisible disorder.

When I get tickets for concerts I am very aware of where I choose my seats and what type of concert I am going to. I know that it's not always possible to get seating in a desired location and then even if you do, your view might be compromised (I had a front row seat for a concert that I had worked very hard to get and couldn't see the performers at all from my seated position because of a video camera set up). If the majority of the room is standing, I am almost always standing, when they are seated I typically sit, unless I am trying to get everyone to stand up around me.

I would not be offended by someone asking me politely to sit down, I may or may not comply, depending on the room/situation. Such as if someone was obviously impaired or someone that shared with me that they have an invisible disorder. I would probably switch seats with them or try to move off to the side a bit so they might see. I would be even more so motivated to do so if they spoke with me before the performance. But if a regular dude came to a high energy concert, expecting to chill the whole time and expected that those around him needed to be chill, I probably wouldn't.

I'm glad you got to go to a second show. <3

• Options
    Pretty simple, no one is saying you can’t sit, just know if u sit there may be someone standing in front of you. It’s a concert and it’s not unreasonable to expect people to stand unless it’s your first concert then I could see being surprised. This exact thing happened to me the other night. Guy behind me tapped me shoulder (which to be honest is rude) and asked if I planned on standing the whole show. I politely said “yes(” as roughly 1500 people in the section in front of me were Standing). That was the end of it. I’m sure the guy was disappointed but I’m not suppose to be able to see because he can’t? There are plenty of rude people at concerts getting drunk, dancing in people’s space, pushing, shoving. I’m standing in front of my seat. Pretty tame if u ask me. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I'm making a tshirt. Nothing on front, but on the back in big bold letters:

I'M NOT SITTING

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    fizzyade said:

I know things aren't simple. I'm going to be one that in the future is going to need special accommodations where possible, as my EDS is destroying my spine. EDS is very often an invisible disorder.

When I get tickets for concerts I am very aware of where I choose my seats and what type of concert I am going to. I know that it's not always possible to get seating in a desired location and then even if you do, your view might be compromised (I had a front row seat for a concert that I had worked very hard to get and couldn't see the performers at all from my seated position because of a video camera set up). If the majority of the room is standing, I am almost always standing, when they are seated I typically sit, unless I am trying to get everyone to stand up around me.

I would not be offended by someone asking me politely to sit down, I may or may not comply, depending on the room/situation. Such as if someone was obviously impaired or someone that shared with me that they have an invisible disorder. I would probably switch seats with them or try to move off to the side a bit so they might see. I would be even more so motivated to do so if they spoke with me before the performance. But if a regular dude came to a high energy concert, expecting to chill the whole time and expected that those around him needed to be chill, I probably wouldn't.

I'm glad you got to go to a second show. <3

One of my conditions is marfans which is in the same family of connective tissue disorders as EDS, it's the reason I can't stand because it causes excruiating lower back pain which within a few minutes shoots up my spine and down into my arms.

• Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 343
    I hardly even sit during the encore breaks. 
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    mace1229 said:p
    dingers said:

Last time i stood in seating i had a chat with people behind me to make sure they were going to stand and if not then i was going to offer to swap seats. Just taking care of those nearby really.

I think its stupid to sit at a gig in the same way i stand at football matches as i physically cant sit down because its too exciting.

BUT and this is the big but here, its not fair for anyone to assume anything about the people around them. If someone asks you to sit down then you can ask them to swap or ask them if they want to stand up. Standing in front of someone who has asked you to sit is so arrogant and not in the spirit id expect with PJ fans.

There is no perfect solution but being considerate of your neighbour isnt an unfair thing to ask.

Seems like the OP didnt make any provision, was asked to sit and almost told them to fuck off. That's so out of order. 

Rock gig or not. Just consider others may have issues and be nice to people. Its not that tough is it
    I'd made plenty of provision, I sat for 26 of the 33 songs!  I wasn't rude to the guy, didn't raise my voice, wasn't drunk or aggressive.  In fact I was much more civil to him with my words than he was to me.  If he'd cared to look around the block he was sitting in, most people were standing.  He certainly didn't consider whether I might have needed to stand up for any reason, he just presumed it was his right to tell me to sit down.  He didn't speak to me before the show and ask if I was planning on standing at all and voice his concerns.  And what if he did?  If I'd gone to a steward and said the guy is trying to make me sit all night, he would have said it's in the terms and conditions that you're allowed to stand.

In terms of you being offended (presumably) by my use of the word 'victim', I was boiling the argument down to its bare bones, and certainly didn't mean to imply that people with disabilities are victims, so hands up, my bad.  What I was trying to say in a hamfisted way, is that your moral argument would never be able to accommodate everyone.  There are no end of issues that people could potentially have, and the venue do their best to accommodate them.  I have first hand experience of that with family members and friends who have had to be re-seated due to medical issues, and it has never been a problem, even at well sold-out shows.

In fact I have an example where the boot was on the other foot.  My sister and I bought my parents tickets to see Adele at the O2, when my sister's friend pulled out I decided to go(honest story, don't judge!).  We had seats way up in the gods, at the back, when we got there my mum had a panic attack because of the height, and to cut a long story short we got reseated on the floor right by the stage (it was an all seated show).  People sat for virtually all of the night, which is totally to be expected given the type of songs Adele sings.  There was, however, a woman who stood for the entire show, and was blocking a lot of people's views.  Over the course of the night around ten people went and asked her to sit down, including my sister.  In turns out she had not long had a baby, and had developed some sort of problem with her lower back and it was painful to sit.  So who is in the right?  I don't know whose entitlement trumps who's?  

My feeling last night was that I'd sat down for the majority of the show, they were playing some of the more energetic songs, it was nearing the end, and most people were standing up.  

And to think I thought he was tapping me on the back to congratulate me on getting the song played!
  • Options
    fizzyade said:
    One of my conditions is marfans which is in the same family of connective tissue disorders as EDS, it's the reason I can't stand because it causes excruiating lower back pain which within a few minutes shoots up my spine and down into my arms.

I understand Marfan fairly well with self guided but intelligent research into my own disorder, while working to get my diagnosis. I also understand all the different systems that can be affected and why standing is an issue for you. 

I am DX Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos. I believe I have some crossover issues with other types but as of yet have not gotten my geneticist to do the blood testing. My cervical spine is punk rock as heck. Spikes all over it. (Looking on the bright side, I have orangutan arms that I happen to love and legs for days.)

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,741
    Hi! said:
    I'm making a tshirt. Nothing on front, but on the back in big bold letters:

I'M NOT SITTING
    I hope you wear that in GA. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    My general rule is I stand as long as I can.  I try to drink and smoke so much that I’m forced to sit down because I’m about to lose my balance and barf on myself while I’m falling into a neighbor.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited July 2018
    I haven't read the thread, so this has likely already been said, but my perspective is that one should pretty much just go with whatever everyone around them is doing. If everyone is standing, stand up... If plenty of people are standing but many are also sitting, do whatever you want and keep your trap shut if you choose to sit while the person in front of you stands, and if everyone is sitting and you're the only one standing, that's your signal to get your ass back in your chair, lol, or at least leave your seat and go up behind the seats, like at the entrance to the section, so you can boogie without being an obstruction. And what that all boils down to is being reasonably considerate of those around you and going with the general flow. It's the burden of being a member of a crowd. You're not completely just an individual when you're part of a crowd, figuratively.
    As for the issue of people who can't stand for one reason or another.... I think that's just too bad, to be blunt. If they can't stand during a show where many others are standing, they should be thinking about how they will make smarter choices when buying tickets going forward.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata