Options

Standing up in seated sections....

So tonight was pretty much incredible, amazing setlist, and they played the song I'd been campaigning for!  However, I was sat up in the nosebleed seats, only a couple of blocks from the stage, but still high up.  My friends and I had been sitting for the entire show, but when Jeremy came on we decided to stand up, and stayed standing for MYM and Breath.  After that Ed was talking, and the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to sit down, my response was that it was nearing the end of the show, and (having read the back of my ticket, I know that it says people in seated areas may stand), add to that the fact that most of our block (and the rest of the arena) was actually standing, just not our few rows.  I said 'why don't you stand up?', and he said then the people behind him wouldn't be able to see, at which point I just said sorry (implying that I wasn't going to sit down) to which he told me I was selfish.  I don't think I'm an unreasonable person, and in fact I did sit down for the next song because it was a less energetic one, that's always how I've judged it when seated at shows.  

I had to laugh at the end when they were playing Alive and there was a girl in the next block on crutches, and even she managed to stand!

Anyway, what say you guys?  

Comments

• Options
    Doink317Doink317 Indianapolis Posts: 84
    How can one sit during a Pearl Jam show!? 
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    stand up, it's a rock show 
    you want to sit go watch a f*ucking opera
    if I were you I would stand up too, for the whole show

PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,421
    I stand the whole show.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    So tonight was pretty much incredible, amazing setlist, and they played the song I'd been campaigning for!  However, I was sat up in the nosebleed seats, only a couple of blocks from the stage, but still high up.  My friends and I had been sitting for the entire show, but when Jeremy came on we decided to stand up, and stayed standing for MYM and Breath.  After that Ed was talking, and the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to sit down, my response was that it was nearing the end of the show, and (having read the back of my ticket, I know that it says people in seated areas may stand), add to that the fact that most of our block (and the rest of the arena) was actually standing, just not our few rows.  I said 'why don't you stand up?', and he said then the people behind him wouldn't be able to see, at which point I just said sorry (implying that I wasn't going to sit down) to which he told me I was selfish.  I don't think I'm an unreasonable person, and in fact I did sit down for the next song because it was a less energetic one, that's always how I've judged it when seated at shows.  

I had to laugh at the end when they were playing Alive and there was a girl in the next block on crutches, and even she managed to stand!

Anyway, what say you guys?  
    I hate people who do that(sit at live events).  You go to a live event to enjoy and be part of the show, stand up and get the blood flowing and get into it, and don't get pissed at others who do if you don't want to. The worst is at football games, if you don't want to stand stay home and watch on TV.  As for the concert, if you don't want to stand, you can still listen, what do you need to see on stage, its the same thing as always, 5 guys playing music...stand, sit and listen, or go home!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 689
    I think its OK for people to ask. But they should never have an expectation that someone will actually comply. Its a concert! Same at any sporting event. That dude has an unrealistic expectation.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yeah I wasn't rude in my response, it's just when he called me selfish.....I had to restrain myself from telling him to fuck off.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Wrigley 1 2016. Pretty much everyone was standing the entire time.   
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,519
    Agreed. Standing in the seated section is absolutely fine. Was in the seats tonight and only saw people sitting for a quick rest or at the encore breaks 
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    This has happened a few times to me lately. My response is always the same... this is a rock show, if u want to sit down go home and watch it on youtube. 
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Backspacer 76Backspacer 76 Posts: 957
    edited July 2018
    on2legs said:
    I stand the whole show.  

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    This has happened a few times to me lately. My response is always the same... this is a rock show, if u want to sit down go home and watch it on youtube. 

Has happened to me twice over the years.

Once at a Paul McCartney show, and once at a Van Halen show. Who the F sits during Van Halen?

When asked to sit my response was "are you shitting me?"

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,143
    I’m bringing stilts this year
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I’ve never sat at a Pj show but also can’t remember anyone around me sitting. Sounds like you handled it politely, while not backing down. 
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    People should expect everyone to be standing at a rock concert. The end.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Suziemay said:
    People should expect everyone to be standing at a rock concert. The end.
    @derbydave and I were asked to sit at the Pixies.  We did, but I was not particularly happy about it. I think that my dancing in my seat annoyed the people behind us because they did eventually move. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Speaking as someone who usually sits the majority of any show, not all of us are able to physically endure standing for three or more hours. I go to multiple shows a month, but I couldn't do it if I had to stand. I shouldn't be expected to "go watch a f*ucking opera" or "stay home and watch on tv" or "go home and watch on youtube". That's pretty rude. I'd love to be able to hang out in GA like most of us would prefer, but it's not in the cards. Yet I don't want to miss out on an amazing live performance and shouldn't be expected to, so the seats are my option. And I'm definitely one of those who dances in the seats, so don't think I'm not having a blast just because I'm not standing. It's just not ideal to be trying to see the show when all you can see are the people's backs and butts in front of you. Watching it on the jumbo screens is NOT the same, but sometimes that's the only way to see. 

And for those who think sitting during a concert is lame, I was at a rock show in Seattle two months ago. It was front row of the balcony, and I had two members of PJ sitting in the same row as me. One was directly next to me on my right, the other was a few seats down on my left side. Do you think either of them stood? NOPE! And out of respect for the guys, that's all I'm going to say about that evening.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    I thought sitting at a Pearl Jam show was something that was frowned upon. I have never sat at any PJ show, and don't intend to at any point in the future either. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    ^assuming a low profile was the main reason. 

When I saw rhcp last most of my section was sitting and I couldnt believe it. Thankfully none of them even bothered asking if I would sit. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Sit if you like but don't be bummed when people stand.  
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    Not much else that I can recall.  Those were nice rest songs, though.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    In the 300 sections in Tampa we sat (everyone around us was sitting), but at Fenway 1 and 2, we stood. While Tampa was a great show, it was just so much better to be into the music and the vibe of everyone else when you're standing. 

We plan to stand at Fenway this year (both in the Grandstands for Night 1 and on the field for Night 2)
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    I agree. No one cares if you sit all night and people should respect that. However, if you sit, you certainly can’t expect the people in front of you to be sitting, at least not at a PJ show. Other bands yes, not PJ. 
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2018
      I smoke so much kush  [ those who stood on either side of me on the floor in Hampton & Wrigley II/2016 will attest to this ]  while standing at numerous P.J. shows that if I was to sit down I might not get back up.
    Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Poncier said:

Once at a Paul McCartney show, and once at a Van Halen show. Who the F sits during Van Halen?

I, too, was asked to sit during a Paul McCartney show... by an usher.

Usher: Can you please sit? The people behind you can't see.
    Me: I don't care. This is a fucking rock n roll show! This is Paul fucking McCartney!
    Usher: Well, if you don't sit, I'll have to ask you to leave.

I was not about to miss what would be one of the best concert experiences ever, so I sat. But I rocked out with wild abandon and unbridled enthusiasm from my chair. Rock n fucking Roll!
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887

David Lee ?

or 

Van Hagar ?

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    dingersdingers Posts: 76
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 
    Reading Festival 2006, London O2 2009, Leeds 2014, MK 2014, EV Solo London 1 2017, London 02 1 & 2 2018, Boston 1 & 2 2018.
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    I go on the policy of if the person in front of me is standing, I'll stand and won't cause a fuss, I'm totally happy to stand. If the person behind me taps on the shoulder, it should be pretty obvious to them I won't be able to see anything if I sit. Last night in the 10c section 112 it was super friendly, everyone stood in my area (section row J and up, amazing seats, thanks 10c!).

If, however, there was no one in front of me and I stood, and someone behind me got annoyed, I would sit down. As dinger says, people might have bought seats because they actually want to sit! It's only fair.
  • Options
    I only stand in seats if i speak to the people behind me and check with them thats its OK. You have absolutely no idea if someone has a disability or not. This may or may not be visible and the person might not want to tell a stanger their issue to get them to sit down. A little bit of compassion for others at gigs and the erosion of "me, me, me" would make gigs a nicer place for all.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I always stand up at the end of a show, otherwise I won't be able to dance. Nobody has ever complained. It's a rock concert! Oh, and I sing along too.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    dingers said:
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
  • Options
    dingers said:

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    Playing devils advocate, but what if you have a hidden disability and dont want to be in a "disabled section" or want any special treatment?Or what if you simply have trouble standing?
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2