We must have a better system to deal with 10c ticket exchanges / refunds

123457»

Comments

• Dellis3290Dellis3290 Charlotte, NC Posts: 64
    edited June 2018

I am ISO 2 tickets for Fenway Night 1 or Fenway Night 2, cheers!

Post edited by Dellis3290 on

Charlotte 2013
    Raleigh 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Chicago #1 2016
    Chicago #2 2016
    Seattle #1 2018
    Seattle #2 2018

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    bertan said:
    Let's start with the obvious I, we currently don't even have a system for exchanging or cancelling Ten Club tickets. Everything is based on avoidance,  "No refunds, no name transfers, no exchanges, no exceptions." is our current policy, which is just another way of saying "we don't want to deal with this, good luck". 

I put my name down for two pairs of London tickets on December 1st 2017, and got them both. I live in London and I was very pleased, but as you all know life is not very simple, and shitload of stuff happens in 7 months. Come April 2018, and I know that I'll have my wedding on the same week as the gigs, in my home country Turkey. For various annoying reasons, I can't change the date and I can't afford to travel back and forth. So I'm 2 months away from the gigs and I know I can't make them. I send an e-mail to the Ten Club explaining my situation, but all I get is that "I can donate the tickets if I want", nothing more.

This is not a way to deal with a problem, it's simply avoiding the problem. There are a million things that could be done to help someone in a similar situation, but Ten Club just abandons us with the  "No refunds, no name transfers, no exchanges, no exceptions" policy. I look at the forum and see all those ticket requests, and 4 perfectly fine tickets are going to waste. Here are just a few ideas on what could've been done:

- Cancelling my payment and re-selling the tickets through pearljam.com. You can even charge the original buyer a small fee, I'm sure everyone would prefer that to paying the full price and not making it to the gig. 

- Don't wanna deal with reselling tickets? Collaborate with a third-party like twickets.live and let them deal with the transaction. Therefore make sure the tickets are sold for face-value.

- Give people a chance to transfer it to other Ten Club members. You have everyone's information, you can track if someone has already have tickets to that specific gig, that seems like the easiest thing to do. 

- When you do the ticket lottery, also create a waiting list. So when someone backs out of the gig for whatever reason, another person quickly replaces them.

There must be tons of more options to deal with these kind of situations before saying "we can't do anything". Honestly it's just lazy and feels like 10c are not making an effort in general. The really sad part is, if I had purchased these tickets through a vendor like Ticketmaster, I could get a refund or I could resell the tickets through their website. I chose to buy from the official fan club, and I have less rights basically everyone. 

This system is unacceptable, and it's time we change it for better. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Bertan

Please do not say Ticketmaster is better.

I am stuck with an extra Radiohead ticket for Boston because TM, without notice on the purchase page, is resticting all transfers of tickets until the day before the show. To make matters worse, stub hub is arbitrarily suspending listings.

This isn't even for all cities. Just Boston, to the best of my knowledge 
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    10C is a fanclub. Its not a tech company. You need to consider the logistics. Changing the rules opens a whole new can of worms. Slippery slippery slope.

Sadly, once people discover a loophole, they will exploit it for their own gain. This is true for pretty much everything. No different here. The rules aren't perfect, but they are in place to curb help prevent this. 
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    10C is a fanclub. Its not a tech company. You need to consider the logistics. Changing the rules opens a whole new can of worms. Slippery slippery slope.

Sadly, once people discover a loophole, they will exploit it for their own gain. This is true for pretty much everything. No different here. The rules aren't perfect, but they are in place to curb help prevent this. 
    Good point. From a business perspective, it really doesn't make sense for them to build a system to allow swapping extra tickets, transferring to other fans, etc. They are going to sell out the 10C tickets anyway and if someone gets stuck with tickets or can't pick them up, they are essentially selling the same pair of tickets twice.
  • TM193128TM193128 Posts: 25
    Im saddened  by anyone who feels the need to explain on here  why they cant go to a concert.     Most People buy tix with good intentions of going, and if they cant go thats  unfortunate!!  But Thats life!!  SHIT Happens!!. The members that brow beat people for having an  ever changing ife need to  keep there fingers from listening to there brains!!   Ten club needs a  refund policy!!     Lets see how long it takes before someone comments on sentence structure!! LOL   
    Cheers to nice people
  • Amheide84Amheide84 Posts: 4
    edited July 2018
    bertan said:
    Let's start with the obvious, we currently don't even have a system for exchanging or cancelling Ten Club tickets. Everything is based on avoidance,  "No refunds, no name transfers, no exchanges, no exceptions." is our current policy, which is just another way of saying "we don't want to deal with this, good luck". 

I put my name down for two pairs of London tickets on December 1st 2017, and got them both. I live in London and I was very pleased, but as you all know life is not very simple, and shitload of stuff happens in 7 months. Come April 2018, and I know that I'll have my wedding on the same week as the gigs, in my home country Turkey. For various annoying reasons, I can't change the date and I can't afford to travel back and forth. So I'm 2 months away from the gigs and I know I can't make them. I send an e-mail to the Ten Club explaining my situation, but all I get is that "I can donate the tickets if I want", nothing more.

This is not a way to deal with a problem, it's simply avoiding the problem. There are a million things that could be done to help someone in a similar situation, but Ten Club just abandons us with the 
     "No refunds, no name transfers, no exchanges, no exceptions" policy. I look at the forum and see all those ticket requests, and 4 perfectly fine tickets are going to waste. Here are just a few ideas on what could've been done:

- Cancelling my payment and re-selling the tickets through pearljam.com. You can even charge the original buyer a small fee, I'm sure everyone would prefer that to paying the full price and not making it to the gig. 

- Don't wanna deal with reselling tickets? Collaborate with a third-party like twickets.live and let them deal with the transaction. Therefore make sure the tickets are sold for face-value.

- Give people a chance to transfer it to other Ten Club members. You have everyone's information, you can track if someone has already have tickets to that specific gig, that seems like the easiest thing to do. 

- When you do the ticket lottery, also create a waiting list. So when someone backs out of the gig for whatever reason, another person quickly replaces them.

There must be tons of more options to deal with these kind of situations before saying "we can't do anything". Honestly it's just lazy and feels like 10c are not making an effort in general. The really sad part is, if I had purchased these tickets through a vendor like Ticketmaster, I could get a refund or I could resell the tickets through their website. I chose to buy from the official fan club, and I have less rights basically everyone. 

This system is unacceptable, and it's time we change it for better. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Bertan
    Post edited by Amheide84 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Hawk123 said:

Good point. From a business perspective, it really doesn't make sense for them to build a system to allow swapping extra tickets, transferring to other fans, etc. They are going to sell out the 10C tickets anyway and if someone gets stuck with tickets or can't pick them up, they are essentially selling the same pair of tickets twice.
    But they aren't. Unless the ticket buyer contacts them and specifically says they won't be picking them up, 10C lets them go to waste, and they certainly don't resell them in any case.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I understand the need to prevent scalpers or even fans from becoming scalpers.
     But I also agree that purchasing tickets so far out is a little nervous when anything can happen. It’s not like they are $28 still, paying $225 for a single pair is just pouring salt in the wound if I can’t make it to the show. And as a teacher in a state that pays 20% below average I couldn’t really afford that bust. 
    Seems like it wouldn’t be difficult to make tickets that can only be transferred through 10c accounts, and limit the number allowed. Something, especially now that so many travelnto each show, not having any way to recover $500 worth of tickets you buy 6 months out seems extreme.
    And I don’t get all those comments along the lines of “you are all adults who can read the rules so stop complaaiming.” Just because we read the rules doesn’t mean we have to agree it’s the best method. Otherwise we can pretty much shut down every thread on AMT if that’s all t takes to solidify an argument.
  • MrecintoMrecinto Washington Posts: 8
    In this day and age, there has to be a way for members to exchange 'ticket codes' with one another.  SeatGeak, TM, Flash Tickets can do this.  I have sports season tickets and can sell them or transfer them to another person with an account easily.  This way the price can always be tracked so scalping can be forbidden.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mace1229 said:
    And I don’t get all those comments along the lines of “you are all adults who can read the rules so stop complaaiming.” Just because we read the rules doesn’t mean we have to agree it’s the best method. Otherwise we can pretty much shut down every thread on AMT if that’s all t takes to solidify an argument.
    But you check mark a lil box that says that you DO agree when you purchase tickets through 10c.  I understand that you don't have to actually agree, but you make an agreement with them when you purchase through them. 

Recently, I asked Sea about a ticket specific portion of the forum. The answer I received for that would apply here.  To have a tickets specific portion of the website turns it into PJ essentially becoming ticket brokers.  I am sure that is why transfers aren't something that can be done with 10c tickets.  Agree or not, you did agree.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    People act like they are forced to buy through 10C. If you don't like being locked in/the inherent risk, you can buy through TicketMaster or look for extras here later. There are options. 10C is one great source for tickets, but not the only option. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Ecolella9Ecolella9 Posts: 35
    if I couldn’t make it to a show I wish I could just donate my tickets to someone in the milatary,police,medic etc.....
    deadendp said:
    mace1229 said:
    But you check mark a lil box that says that you DO agree when you purchase tickets through 10c.  I understand that you don't have to actually agree, but you make an agreement with them when you purchase through them. 

Recently, I asked Sea about a ticket specific portion of the forum. The answer I received for that would apply here.  To have a tickets specific portion of the website turns it into PJ essentially becoming ticket brokers.  I am sure that is why transfers aren't something that can be done with 10c tickets.  Agree or not, you did agree.  
    Yes, just like you said I agree to accept their terms and conditions, but that box doesn’ mean I agree that is the best way to do business.
    I think most people here are okay with the way it works, or we wouldn’t spend our money to be members. I just don’t know of any other entertainment system that you have to commit 6 months in advance with no chance to regain your losses if life comes up before then.
    Obviously I think it’s worth the risk, otherwise I wouldn’t buy tickets and probably cancel my membership. That doesn’t mean that a better system would not be much appreciated.
    I do like how at least 1 is transferable, so if something comes up in my life my ticket buddy isn’t SOL. That’s a good start.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Mrecinto said:
    In this day and age, there has to be a way for members to exchange 'ticket codes' with one another.  SeatGeak, TM, Flash Tickets can do this.  I have sports season tickets and can sell them or transfer them to another person with an account easily.  This way the price can always be tracked so scalping can be forbidden.
    But that doesn't prevent the buyer from also giving you a big wad of cash on the side. It is impossible to have ticket transfers of any kind and still guarantee that scalping isn't happening.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    TM193128 said:
    Im saddened  by anyone who feels the need to explain on here  why they cant go to a concert.     Most People buy tix with good intentions of going, and if they cant go thats  unfortunate!!  But Thats life!!  SHIT Happens!!. The members that brow beat people for having an  ever changing ife need to  keep there fingers from listening to there brains!!   Ten club needs a  refund policy!!     Lets see how long it takes before someone comments on sentence structure!! LOL   
    Cheers to nice people

On this I'll defend TC. Typical sports and concert tickets are not refundable. No expectations there.

But selling obstructed view behind a pole with no notice?

For that there is no defense TC.
    People act like they are forced to buy through 10C. If you don't like being locked in/the inherent risk, you can buy through TicketMaster or look for extras here later. There are options. 10C is one great source for tickets, but not the only option. 

TC hords the majority of the best and average seats, making very few tickets available for the public sales.  Let's not be silly now.
  • jgriffsjgriffs Posts: 8

10C is great. but the excuse that they cannot create a smooth system for transfer of tickets between 10C members or others for tickets is BS. I am a long time Restaurant industry professional and a company called Tock.com has figured out how to sell tickets to restaurants all over the country (highly coveted, and highly limited, mind you) and then allow purchasers to transfer those tickets as many times as they want at face value.  The restaurant doesn't care who shows up, they just want people to feel compelled to go (no-shows are the #1 cost of lost revenue in high-end restaurants), but sometimes even your anniversary dinner gets hijacked by life, and the people at Tock knew that.  This system could be easily adopted by 10C and is not that expensive.  Put a fee on each transfer... thats better than keeping people out the shows and punishing 10c members.

The point is, that people like us, that maybe won more tickets than we had hoped for, or need to get off them for other reasons, should have a reasonable avenue to replace them and not lose money.  At the same time, why keep the venue and the band short people in the seats (that affects the venue's revenue and the band's experience and reception) just because 10C doesn't want to deal with scalpers.   I'm not a fan of the current policy and think it needs a reality check. 

• LaurelhurstLaurelhurst Around The Bend Posts: 13
    jgriffs said:
    10C is a fanclub. Its not a tech company. You need to consider the logistics. Sadly, once people discover a loophole, they will exploit it for their own gain. 
    The point is, that people like us, that maybe won more tickets than we had hoped for, or need to get off them for other reasons, should have a reasonable avenue to replace them and not lose money. 

Mr. redder is absolutely correct!!

As for jgriffs post, thank you for the humorous comment.. "people like us, that maybe won more tickets than we had hoped for".... :o:bawling:
    So.. just to clarify..., YOU entered the lottery for multiple shows and won more tickets than YOU hoped for?? So, who's fault is that?
    Obviously you knew the 10C lottery instructions... "Only enter for shows you plan on attending!" 
    You were lucky enough to win tickets, while thousands of 10C members were shut out!!
    I'm not trying to be a dick!! I agree the "new" system isn't perfect. But your extra tickets problem is not 10C's fault!!
    At least you have the opportunity to transfer one ticket. And I'm sure the next time 10C does a lottery for tickets, "people like you" will think twice before entering for multiple shows.           
    All Those Yesterdays.....