Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    New Neil solo show stream announced! July 3rd, live from Detroit.

The solo shows have had some awesome setlists so far, so this is definitely one to catch!
    Cool!  Thanks for the heads up!
    ON........right now!!!!!! LIVE!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Ohio was so raw! Broken Arrow solo for the first time since 92!

A couple of great responses to people calling out song titles - "I hope you don't think I'm keeping track", and “you can call out whatever you want and I will never play it!”

He’s very chatty tonight, but you can tell he’s had enough of people calling out
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    What a great show!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Uncle Neil is a fucking badass.

Great show, great venue, great seats. Could have done without the drunken assholes shouting through the whole damn thing but it was still an incredible night.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrush said:

A couple of great responses to people calling out song titles - "I hope you don't think I'm keeping track", and “you can call out whatever you want and I will never play it!”

He’s very chatty tonight, but you can tell he’s had enough of people calling out

He had enough alright:
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/music/neil-young-left-‘mentally-bruised-and-battered’-thanks-to-unruly-crowd-at-detroit-concert/ar-AAzIocH?ocid=spartanntp
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I was going to go to Detroit, after seeing the set list and reading about the heckling, I’m glad I didn’t.  
    The heckling would have been really annoying in person (it was bad enough hearing it on the live stream), but the solo piano version of Broken Arrow would have been worth the admission alone. 

(Tim Rogers)
    Is "heckling" really the right word?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Not really. They were calling out and interrupting Neil’s stories, but they weren’t being abusive. Just really annoying!

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Not really. They were calling out and interrupting Neil’s stories, but they weren’t being abusive. Just really annoying!

People haven't been slapped enough.

When idiots like these act like idiots... the person next to them should stand up... say, "Sir. You are offensive to the senses"... and slap them. Then sit back down as everyone else does a polite head nod acknowledging the duty the person performed for the betterment of society.

My gawd some people are stupid. Just stupid. You're not funny. You're not cool. You are abrasive and tough to tolerate. And... you are so stupid... you don't realize how annoying you are (those leers from everyone outside of your moronic friend group are not looks of admiration).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited July 2018
    It was really sad. Very similar to how people can't seem to STFU at EV shows.

The part that astonishes is that it continues even after being addressed by the performer, venue personnel and fans.

Still a great experience. Neil is a true master of his craft.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:
    It was really sad. Very similar to how people can't seem to STFU at EV shows.

The part that astonishes is that it continues even after being addressed by the performer, venue personnel and fans.

Still a great experience. Neil is a true master of his craft.
    Ed solo shows are awful crowds. I stopped going in 2011-2012. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:

He had enough alright:
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/music/neil-young-left-‘mentally-bruised-and-battered’-thanks-to-unruly-crowd-at-detroit-concert/ar-AAzIocH?ocid=spartanntp
    Back in around 1970 or so, I went to see John Mayall at Fillmore West in San Francisco.  Mayall had recently broken up his band, The Bluesbreakers and was working within a new form of "blues" with Jon Mark and Johnny Almond (who went on to form the band Mark-Almond).  The crowd that night kept interrupting Mayall and company's more subtle form of music with  shout-outs of song requests from earlier albums/ band configurations.   Well, Mayall was not someone to mess with that way.  At first he dismissed the requests and politely asked audience members to respect that this was not a Bluesbreakers show and that the new configuration had been announced for this show.  When the shout-outs for old numbers continued, Mayall stopped the show and addressed the hecklers up front in no uncertain terms.  He really jumped down these people throats, scolding them harshly as though they were misbehaved children- which is a pretty apt description.  That stopped the nonsense and the show went on from there quite well. 

It's too bad some of Neil's Detroit audience was so rude.  They should have been asked to leave. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I agree and understand... but it's rock & roll, so  lets lighten up a little, Francis,  and let the drunk dude holler out Sugar Mountain once in a while lol
    edited July 2018
    my2hands said:
    I agree and understand... but it's rock & roll, so  lets lighten up a little, Francis,  and let the drunk dude holler out Sugar Mountain once in a while lol
    People sitting down on an accoustic show =/= rock & roll.

The same at Vedders shows.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2018
    My wife and I swore off solo Vedder shows until he was playing in Taormina during the same time we were going to be in Italy for our 10th anniversary. We saw the venue and figured that we just had to go.

What a difference not being in America made. Instead of the audience comprising largely entitled, belligerent assholes, the Taormina audience was actually courteous and even shushed their peers when they got too loud. It was awesome. 

We’re expecting the worst audience -- it's Boston, after all -- for Neil on Thursday but hoping for the best. The last time we caught him solo, some old bimbo bumrushed Neil and tried to make out with him. It was disgusting. I hope she spent at least a night in jail. Classless twat. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    my2hands said:
    People sitting down on an accoustic show =/= rock & roll.

The same at Vedders shows.
    Yeah, I agree, acoustic shows are a different deal than a rock 'n roll show.

I've seen the opposite happen though.  I saw Leo Kottke in Santa Rosa, CA years ago and the audience was a good 90% yuppie boomers (i.e. my age) and oh so polite.  Kottke would do these numbers where he's basically playing three parts on one guitar, backing the song with bass runs on the the lower strings, strumming the melody in the middle and edging in these fine little riffs on the upper strings.  He'd finish a number and then you'd hear this little pitter-patter applause, clap clap, and a few garlic breathed "thank you very much's".  Are you fuckin' kidding me?  I let the man know I appreciated his stuff!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Tonight's the night!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Great set from Neil last night. 

1. On The Way Home
    2. Long May You Run
    3. Homefires
    4. My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)
    5. Already One
    6. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
    7. Mellow My Mind
    8. Ohio
    9. There's A World
    10. Horseshoe Man
    11. Are You Ready For The Country?
    12. After The Gold Rush
    13. Speakin' Out
    14. Tonight's The Night
    15. Angry World
    16. Love And War
    17. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    18. Out On The Weekend
    19. The Needle And The Damage Done
    20. Heart Of Gold
    ---
    21. Tumbleweed

Some really disrespectful assholes in the audience, but he handled them pretty well. I don't understand what compels someone to yell bullshit out to an artist while they're working. No one here paid to hear you yell "Freebird," and you're too old to be that wasted in public, losers.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Great set, indeed.

I trust you enjoyed the show despite the assholes.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dankind said:

1. On The Way Home
    2. Long May You Run
    3. Homefires
    5. Already One
    7. Mellow My Mind
    8. Ohio
    9. There's A World
    10. Horseshoe Man
    12. After The Gold Rush
    13. Speakin' Out
    14. Tonight's The Night
    15. Angry World
    16. Love And War
    18. Out On The Weekend
    20. Heart Of Gold
    ---
    21. Tumbleweed

Some really disrespectful assholes in the audience, but he handled them pretty well. I don't understand what compels someone to yell bullshit out to an artist while they're working. No one here paid to hear you yell "Freebird," and you're too old to be that wasted in public, losers.
    Love that set
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Neil Young Goes Record Shopping (and finds Neil Young bootlegs Records!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL88cjBWI6c

!972 I think ... very cool video.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

Classic!!
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    cutz said:

Classic!!
    Neil Young was cool about it.  The guy at the end with 8 tracks ... were they bootlegs as well??
    Give Peas A Chance…

Awesome!

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:

Awesome!

This is great. did he end up paying for it?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:

Awesome!

This is great. did he end up paying for it?
    I hope not.  I think  musicians should have the right to confiscate any unauthorized/bootleg material they come across.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dankind said:

1. On The Way Home
    2. Long May You Run
    3. Homefires
    5. Already One
    7. Mellow My Mind
    8. Ohio
    9. There's A World
    10. Horseshoe Man
    12. After The Gold Rush
    13. Speakin' Out
    14. Tonight's The Night
    15. Angry World
    16. Love And War
    18. Out On The Weekend
    20. Heart Of Gold
    ---
    21. Tumbleweed

I kind of had some drunk skank behind me ruin the entire show for me when I saw Neil a couple years ago. It's infuriating that one asshole can be so horribly disruptive and awful for so many other people, and there is nothing you can really do about it, since it's not against the rules to be an annoying, obnoxious, mouthy, drunk skank.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata