Greta Van Fleet

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Zod said:
    I went.  I'm really not the person who walks up to random people and start talking.   I timed it to get there around 9pm and didn't have to wait long for the band to start.   It was jammed pack at the Rebel.  Its like the Commodore in Vancouver, but Toronto must have different capacity rules, because there's no open space.

Pretty good show.  They only have 8 officially release songs, which bookended the show.   They played songs no one knew in the middle, which was interesting, but probably the best choice.  Really looking forward to the new cd coming out.

Glad I went though.

How did the new stuff sound?
    It sounded ok.  It was a wierd setlist.   I always find it hard to judge music the first time I hear it.   It sounded decent, but because no one knew it, there wasn't much crowd reaction to it.  They played the songs from the EP(s) at the beginning end and all new stuff in the middle, so it was the lull of the set.  I imagine it would sound better once one's had a chance to absorb it.
  • Zod said:
    Zod said:
    I went.  I'm really not the person who walks up to random people and start talking.   I timed it to get there around 9pm and didn't have to wait long for the band to start.   It was jammed pack at the Rebel.  Its like the Commodore in Vancouver, but Toronto must have different capacity rules, because there's no open space.

Pretty good show.  They only have 8 officially release songs, which bookended the show.   They played songs no one knew in the middle, which was interesting, but probably the best choice.  Really looking forward to the new cd coming out.

Glad I went though.

How did the new stuff sound?
    It sounded ok.  It was a wierd setlist.   I always find it hard to judge music the first time I hear it.   It sounded decent, but because no one knew it, there wasn't much crowd reaction to it.  They played the songs from the EP(s) at the beginning end and all new stuff in the middle, so it was the lull of the set.  I imagine it would sound better once one's had a chance to absorb it.

Thanks!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    What's the thought... is the flower countdown thing they're doing on their instagram page for a single drop, album, announcement? Not long to find out
    I am wired and fading...
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    RoeDawg13 said:
    What's the thought... is the flower countdown thing they're doing on their instagram page for a single drop, album, announcement? Not long to find out
    New single out. Its pretty good. Not their best and a straight forward song. But im sure it will translate well live. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    RoeDawg13 said:
    New single out. Its pretty good. Not their best and a straight forward song. But im sure it will translate well live. 
    Thanks I'll have to listen :smiley:
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Super excited to hear it!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    I like it. Looking forward to hearing the new album. 

Saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC tonight! Fantasticly explosive and tight band, with almost all of their their ten released songs split in half by unreleased material and a couple covers. About an hour and a half set including one two song encore. If you really don’t believe in this band, come see them live. I couldn’t be more excited that new straight ahead Rock has returned to the music world!

Can’t wait for Night 2 tomorrow at The Anthem.

: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:

PJWGIII said:

Saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC tonight! Fantasticly explosive and tight band, with almost all of their their ten released songs split in half by unreleased material and a couple covers. About an hour and a half set including one two song encore. If you really don’t believe in this band, come see them live. I couldn’t be more excited that new straight ahead Rock has returned to the music world!

What's the 10th song that I'm missing?  There's the 8 from the double EP and the new song.   I'm wondering if I have missed one?
    edited July 2018
    Zod said:
    PJWGIII said:

What's the 10th song that I'm missing?  There's the 8 from the double EP and the new song.   I'm wondering if I have missed one?
    Their "Rolling In The Deep" Cover. It's a Spotify exclusive and since I'm a proud Apple Music user, I can sympathize with the fact that you didn't notice it. You can find it on YouTube!

EV:

Great Night 2. Same set, but the band definitely jammed out more and was energized by the crowd being 3x as big. I highly recommend anyone to check out a show at The Anthem if you are ever in the DC area. 

This is my new favorite song by them. It I unreleased but here is an acoustic performance of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVB4cdd-r_s

EV:

Here is the set via setlist.fm:

EV:

PJWGIII said:

Their "Rolling In The Deep" Cover. It's a Spotify exclusive and since I'm a proud Apple Music user, I can sympathize with the fact that you didn't notice it. You can find it on YouTube!
    Thanks.   I'm so old school I don't use spotify :)
    PJWGIII said:
    Great Night 2. Same set, but the band definitely jammed out more and was energized by the crowd being 3x as big. I highly recommend anyone to check out a show at The Anthem if you are ever in the DC area. 

This is my new favorite song by them. It I unreleased but here is an acoustic performance of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVB4cdd-r_s
    I'm loving this song too, thanks for posting it. 
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbRBCVlDN8

I’m sick of the haters, so posting this here. 
    I like this take. No one has ever compared me to Robert Plant or Ann Wilson... two of the greatest to ever hold a microphone from two of the most celebrated bands of all time. If they did, I’d be stoked. 

Also, they’re writing and performing original music. They’re not playing LZ songs, so calling it plagiarism is just inaccurate. Besides, Zep hasn’t played a show in how long now? I love a lot of LZ music. The fact that it might be inspiring these extremely talented young musicians to dedicate their lives to music is a pretty cool thing. 

If simply imitating LZ was a path to fame, fortune and admiration, many would have achieved it already. This is different. Diminishing them solely on account of their sound’s proximity to Zeppelin is a step too far. If it’s not for you, that’s cool. But this is a really great band with a bright future, and they’re bringing new fans to rock music.

Get on the train! It’s gonna be a fun one.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    These guys are finally breaking through my initial lack of interest.  I keep going back because I want it to catch hold, and today is the first time it has.
    It occurred to me all at once that if I am going to listen to them through a Led Zep filter, I should judge accordingly...if When the Curtain Falls or Highway Song were actually Zeppelin songs, they would be beloved songs in the upper tier of the catalogue.  There would be thousands of uberfans with one of those two in their top 10.  
    That's really saying something.
    Only a tiny portion of bands actually bring anything novel to the table anyways...

Look forward to doing some more listening in the morning when I work out.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • BebopRockSteadyBebopRockSteady Chicago Posts: 11
    Complete and unapologetic Zep rip offs. Boo.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbRBCVlDN8

I like this take. No one has ever compared me to Robert Plant or Ann Wilson... two of the greatest to ever hold a microphone from two of the most celebrated bands of all time. If they did, I’d be stoked. 

Also, they’re writing and performing original music. They’re not playing LZ songs, so calling it plagiarism is just inaccurate. Besides, Zep hasn’t played a show in how long now? I love a lot of LZ music. The fact that it might be inspiring these extremely talented young musicians to dedicate their lives to music is a pretty cool thing. 

If simply imitating LZ was a path to fame, fortune and admiration, many would have achieved it already. This is different. Diminishing them solely on account of their sound’s proximity to Zeppelin is a step too far. If it’s not for you, that’s cool. But this is a really great band with a bright future, and they’re bringing new fans to rock music.

EV:

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    PJWGIII said:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbRBCVlDN8

Cool- well said there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Complete and unapologetic Zep rip offs. Boo.
    Lol

Really?

Sheesh. You'll be missing out on a lot of good music and disrespecting a lot of solid talent if you're rolling with this attitude.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I want to at least be slightly entertained by them, but they’re just garbage. Worst part about them sounding like Zep is that they downplay the influence.

They’re  not getting any younger. Hard to imagine they’ll just magically learn to write songs at an elite level in a few years when they’re having trouble coming up with enough material for an album.
  • Complete and unapologetic Zep rip offs. Boo.
    DewieCox said:
    I want to at least be slightly entertained by them, but they’re just garbage. Worst part about them sounding like Zep is that they downplay the influence.

They’re  not getting any younger. Hard to imagine they’ll just magically learn to write songs at an elite level in a few years when they’re having trouble coming up with enough material for an album.
    I'd love to hear some of the songs that you two wrote as teenagers. Truly. 
    edited August 2018
    Quick to bring out the lamest argument. Guess you don’t have much else to stand on. 

Just the whole package is almost painful to look at. People don’t dress like this. They ape the stage moves and production style. Just no originality whatsoever, just screams of being a preconceived product.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • They're cutting their teeth right now, Dewie.

They've just left puberty a year or so ago. I agree that they aren't stage demons from why I have seen on-line, but let's give them some time before we condemn them as frauds.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    DewieCox said:
    Quick to bring out the lamest argument. Guess you don’t have much else to stand on. 

Just the whole package is almost painful to look at. People don’t dress like this. They ape the stage moves and production style. Just no originality whatsoever, just screams of being a preconceived product.
    Do normal people dress like the Insane Clown Posse?
  • DewieCox said:

Right, but their clothing is a valid criticism. And I wasn't trolling, I'd actually love to hear some music that you wrote. Speaking of, I'm a big Dewie fan. How old were you when you wrote Walk Hard?

Personally, I don't look at music. I listen to it. What somebody wears or looks like doesn't sway me one way or another. And do people dress like this? Do you like these guys?

Fair enough, but you don’t think image can make music more enjoyable or kinda cringey?

And I think people were dressing like that in 1990 and especially after grunge hit. I don’t imagine people will be co-opting the GVF look any time soon. 
    DewieCox said:

Right, but their clothing is a valid criticism. And I wasn't trolling, I'd actually love to hear some music that you wrote. Speaking of, I'm a big Dewie fan. How old were you when you wrote Walk Hard?

Personally, I don't look at music. I listen to it. What somebody wears or looks like doesn't sway me one way or another. And do people dress like this? Do you like these guys?

LOL.  No, I haven't worn a turban fan on my head in years.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

DewieCox said:
    Fair enough, but you don’t think image can make music more enjoyable or kinda cringey?

And I think people were dressing like that in 1990 and especially after grunge hit. I don’t imagine people will be co-opting the GVF look any time soon. 
    Dewie, you've made many a fine post regarding music of all sorts.  Why the hate with this band?  A lot of people dig it, their music gives many something to enjoy and be happy about.  If you really don't like the band, why not just pass instead of berate?

As for the clothing- I'm happy to see something interesting going on even if its the last thing I personally would wear.  I thought it was great when band started wearing ragged glory clothes like this:

As much as patched jeans and ratty t-shirts have made a valid anti-fashion statement, that's been done often enough already.  Why not have some fun and put some color back into the stage look?  Ragged, bohemian, fancy pants, it's all good.