Options

Worst Pearl Jam Song

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,829
    edited July 2018
    I think my top 5 from the studio albums are (that translate the worst live to me):
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    EugeneEugene Posts: 114
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think my top 5 from the studio albums are (that translate the worst live to me):
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Man I love you are live. Especially spectrum night 4!! Bad ass!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

I can appreciate this list from albums 6 to 8. I am, however, surprised by this relatively widespread dislike for You Are. I'm impartial to the song myself. 

I'd add Big Wave to that list.
  • Options
    Happy JulioHappy Julio Posts: 161

Also: Don't gimmie No Lip, Gremmie Outta Control, Supersonic, Gonna See My Friend, Sleight of Hand, Let the Records Play (Shania Twain version of Spin the Black Circle)

2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213

Whale Song, Pilate, no way, help help, Bu$hleaguer, big wave

You lost me at Pilate.... :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Sleight of Hand circa '00 is amazing. It has lost the impact and overall tone Ed could sing it in since then. Same with most of Binaural unfortunately. Those songs killed in '00. I actually really enjoyed Cropduster on the '03 tour. Another one that pretty much dies outside that album tour year.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think my top 5 from the studio albums are:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

No one would have guessed You Are and Evacuation would be your top picks :)
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Sleight of Hand circa '00 is amazing. It has lost the impact and overall tone Ed could sing it in since then. Same with most of Binaural unfortunately. Those songs killed in '00. I actually really enjoyed Cropduster on the '03 tour. Another one that pretty much dies outside that album tour year.
    Totally agree with you. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think my top 5 from the studio albums are:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

No one would have guessed You Are and Evacuation would be your top picks :)
    I am a man of mystery lol. 
  • Options
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

I can appreciate this list from albums 6 to 8. I am, however, surprised by this relatively widespread dislike for You Are. I'm impartial to the song myself. 

I never saw big wave live so I can’t comment. I d like to see it once. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Good point. Neither have I. The song just doesn't do it for me in the versions I've heard in various bootlegs, I suppose.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I love Speed of Sound...especially the harmonies and vocal melody at:

"But this night has been a long one,
    waiting on a sun that just don't come.
    Can I forgive what I cannot forget
    And live a lie?
    I could give it one more try"

One of the best moments in the PJ catalog. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    I love Speed of Sound...especially the harmonies and vocal melody at:

"But this night has been a long one,
    waiting on a sun that just don't come.
    Can I forgive what I cannot forget
    And live a lie?
    I could give it one more try"

One of the best moments in the PJ catalog. 
    Agree..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Good point. Neither have I. The song just doesn't do it for me in the versions I've heard in various bootlegs, I suppose.
    So I listened to big wave on a boot and it is ok live. Doesn’t be seem like I am missing much. 
  • Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 693
    Can’t Deny Me
    Ole
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Love all those songs. Always enjoyed Evacuation and Cropduster. You Are, Unemployable and Sleight Of Hand have grown on me lately. In fact, I woke up from a dream this morning with Unemployable stuck in my head! :o
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    can't deny me
    ole
    just breathe

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2018
    The only songs by PJ I do not like are Sweet Lew, Gremmie Out of Control, Dirty Frank and Sleeping By Myself.
    The rest of the catalogue is absolutely stellar.

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    YELLOW LEDBETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:  :sick:
    Followed by SIrens and Just Breathe. :sick:
    Already got Ledbetter & Sirens but I’ll trade you my The End card for your Just Breathe. ;) 
  • Options
    I'd go further and say I'm generally not a fan of PJ songs that are Ed solo with ukulele/guitar and no other band members on the track. To me, I consider those EV solo songs and not necessarily PJ songs, so I usually skip them, but I do like Just Breathe. It's songwriting 101.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1.  you are
    2.  evacuation
    3. unemployable
    4. cropduster
    5.  sleight of hand 

Cropduster is a defining PJ tune in my book....right up there with Corduroy and I Got Shit. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    I'd go further and say I'm generally not a fan of PJ songs that are Ed solo with ukulele/guitar and no other band members on the track. To me, I consider those EV solo songs and not necessarily PJ songs, so I usually skip them, but I do like Just Breathe. It's songwriting 101.
    Agreed.  I'm not sure I could have classified any PJ song as bad until Backspacer.  I don't like the sappy stuff and/or the Ed solo tunes.  

Just Breathe
    The End
    Future Days
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    Bugs...No question
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    edited July 2018
    Yellow Poon

Post edited by Jerome230 on
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    edited July 2018
    [inadvertent doublepost]
    Post edited by Jerome230 on
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    Agreed.  I'm not sure I could have classified any PJ song as bad until Backspacer.  I don't like the sappy stuff and/or the Ed solo tunes.  

Just Breathe
    The End
    Future Days
    True. I'm not saying there are any "bad" PJ songs, but if I were to classify Ed ukulele/acoustic vs. PJ songs, I'd go with the three you mentioned above and add Soon Forget and Drifting. I think those five songs would have fit nicely onto EV's solo album and freed up room for better B Side songs to have made it onto albums (Stone's Fatal certainly comes to mind). Not complaining, just saying. Thanks!

• Options

Just Breathe
    The End
    Future Days
    True. I'm not saying there are any "bad" PJ songs, but if I were to classify Ed ukulele/acoustic vs. PJ songs, I'd go with the three you mentioned above and add Soon Forget and Drifting. I think those five songs would have fit nicely onto EV's solo album and freed up room for better B Side songs to have made it onto albums (Stone's Fatal certainly comes to mind). Not complaining, just saying. Thanks!

Oh man, I never thought of it that way, but you're right. We know the gems they left off Binaural in place of Soon Forget so that does make it easier for me to cast that song out as a PJ tune. I guess I don't really know what could have replaced some of those other solo type EV songs, which are all good songs, but would have been better served as Ed solo stuff. I guess I would have preferred Of the Earth making an album over one of them.
  • Options
    Oh man, I never thought of it that way, but you're right. We know the gems they left off Binaural in place of Soon Forget so that does make it easier for me to cast that song out as a PJ tune. I guess I don't really know what could have replaced some of those other solo type EV songs, which are all good songs, but would have been better served as Ed solo stuff. I guess I would have preferred Of the Earth making an album over one of them.
    Of The Earth woulda been great inclusion - I'd love to hear studio version of that song! Also, you made me think about Binaural with all the extra tracks added...double album like Exile On Main Street or Mellon Collie. In some ways Vitalogy was an album that did included all it's B-sides if you consider the "non-songs". Vitalogy would have still been very strong without those extra songs IMO. Some people like them, some don't. All I know is my Vitalogy vinyl has side 4 exclusively dedicated to Stupid Mop...I never play it that side. :(

Vitaology without "non-songs":
    1. Last Exit
    2. Spin The Black Circle
    3. Not For You
    4. Tremor Christ
    5. Nothingman
    6. Whipping
    7. Corduroy
    8. Satan's Bed
    9. Better Man
    10. Immortality
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,991
    How You Remind Me....it's the worst
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    Of The Earth woulda been great inclusion - I'd love to hear studio version of that song! Also, you made me think about Binaural with all the extra tracks added...double album like Exile On Main Street or Mellon Collie. In some ways Vitalogy was an album that did included all it's B-sides if you consider the "non-songs". Vitalogy would have still been very strong without those extra songs IMO. Some people like them, some don't. All I know is my Vitalogy vinyl has side 4 exclusively dedicated to Stupid Mop...I never play it that side. :(

Vitaology without "non-songs":
    1. Last Exit
    2. Spin The Black Circle
    3. Not For You
    4. Tremor Christ
    5. Nothingman
    6. Whipping
    7. Corduroy
    8. Satan's Bed
    9. Better Man
    10. Immortality
    If I had the power to retrack (the amazing) Vitalogy, it would look like this:
    Side 1
    1. Last Exit 
    2. Spin The Black Circle
    3. Not For You
    4. Nothingman
    5. Tremor Christ
    6. Pry To
    Side 2
    1. Corduroy 
    2. Whipping
    3. Satan's Bed
    4. Better Man