Greatest Beach Boys song??

cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
edited May 2018 in Other Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcw1lfANmrc&app=desktop

I’ll pick Surf’s Up. An ironic title to show how Brian Wilson’s life had changed compared to his earlier fun tunes.  What a beautiful haunting tune.  Take the 3 minutes and listen to the guy who blew Lennon and McCartney’s minds so much that they wrote Sgt Pepper to try to compare.  

That’s one uncut studio take.  Best vocals ive ever heard.  The last thirty seconds will take you somewhere. 

Edited to change the title.   And i may change my mind on Brian’s greatest song in the next ten minutes 
Post edited by cp3iverson on

Comments

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited May 2018
    Now, I really love Surf’s Up, and it’s signifcance is immense and notable, but let’s be real here...

It’s got NOTHING on Good Vibrations. THAT is the greatest song of the 60s if you had to pick one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-UFKxDq5o

The fact that this Surf’s Up isn’t even the greatest Beach Boys song though shows the power of Brian Wilson’s creativity during that Pet Sounds era. Just amazing!
    Post edited by PJWGIII on
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Cool thread, cp3, although I'm not sure if it's a thread about that one song, or an invitation to discuss a favorite Beach Boys song or a discussion any song from the 60' deemed "best"?

A good argument could be made that both "Surf's Up" and "Good Vibrations" are some of the best songs of the 70's or even the 80's and beyond that were written and recorded before their time- in the 60's. 

I like Surf's Up more for it's mood and obscure lyrics and Vibrations more for it's incredible studio workings.

But I'm not sure what the best song of the 60's is because like flowers, mountains or butterflies, is there a best?

My favorite 60's Beach Boys song is "Don't Worry Baby". I had what could almost be described as a major crush on that song when it first came out, and still love it hugely and forever. 

My favorite Pet Sounds song are a tie between  "God Only Knows" ties and "Caroline No".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I personally like Wouldn't it be nice.

Good Vibrations is the start of his brilliance though.  That's when he started to do the experimental things.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I changed the thread title :lol:   Its tough man.  What a genius.  Brian Wilson should be playing football stadiums like his buddy Paul does 
    I changed the thread title :lol:   Its tough man.  What a genius.  Brian Wilson should be playing football stadiums like his buddy Paul does 
    For sure- one of the best song writers ever.

A a pretty good pharmacist to boot:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Best song - God Only Knows. Best song with Brian on vocals - I Just Wasn't Made for These Times.

On a related note, anyone going to one of the shows where he's going to play the Christmas album in its entirety?
    He certainly knows his pharmaceuticals, Bri. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I pretty much hate the Beach Boys, but the one song of theirs that I think is really good is "God Only Knows".
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    ^^^great choice but ouch!!!!   :lol:
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Either Good Vibrations or California Girls  B)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I used to see Brian Wilson at our local deli....he was partial to the breakfast burrito!

IMHO, the Beach Boys are an American institution.....so many great songs.

My favorite is "G-d Only Knows"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Hard to choose. Fun fun fun I love.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Paul McCartney said he can’t listen to God Only Knows without crying.  

I read an article once about the key shifts in that song being a first for modern music and more like something composers would have done centuries ago. 
    I don't know if this counts because it's really more a Carl Wilson song than it is Beach Boys number, but "The Trader" is way up there in my favorites.  Great song in two parts with massively great lyrics.

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Not even close for me..."God Only Knows". Be a great song for PJ to cover, but I know Ed might have issues with singing these lyrics :|
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMyS78o5YI
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    God Only Knows
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Heroes and Villains or God Only Knows
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Did everyone see Love & Mercy?  Loved it
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    So good. Between that and Straight Outta Compton, Giamatti crushed the sleazy handler/manager role in 2015!
    For sure!  Love it here too!

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    brianlux said:
    For sure!  Love it here too!
    It was my favorite (or second favorite movie of that year)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    vito said:
    God Only Knows
    This and "Sloop John B."
    (...let me go home)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Don't Worry Baby
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    1a)Don't worry baby
    1b)good Vibrations
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Wouldnt it be nice
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    You Still Believe in Me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcw1lfANmrc&app=desktop

I’ll pick Surf’s Up. An ironic title to show how Brian Wilson’s life had changed compared to his earlier fun tunes.  What a beautiful haunting tune.  Take the 3 minutes and listen to the guy who blew Lennon and McCartney’s minds so much that they wrote Sgt Pepper to try to compare.  

That’s one uncut studio take.  Best vocals ive ever heard.  The last thirty seconds will take you somewhere. 

Edited to change the title.   And i may change my mind on Brian’s greatest song in the next ten minutes 

You Still Believe in Me
    Looks like it took a bit more than ten minutes, LOL.  But I know what you mean.  Sometimes the greatest Beach Boys song is the one I listened to most recently.  A song like "Surfer Girl" can, in the moment, feel like heaven, even if it isn't technically their best number.

edited July 2018
    Hahaha. Ive already changed my mind again, Brian.   Im sure you saw them back in the day??
    Hahaha. Ive already changed my mind again, Brian.   Im sure you saw them back in the day??
    Only once, 1965. 

Here's part of what I wrote about that show (I only have the uncorrected proof on my computer, so probably some errors here):

December 29, 1965: The Beach Boys, Jackie Lee and Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Circle Star Theatre, San Carlos, CA

When the Beach Boys finally came out to play, the three of us siblings were super excited.  We were cheering loudly with the rest of the crowd, but at this point my full attention was on The Beach Boys as they took the stage and picked up their instruments.  I’d previously seen the band on television, but this night, seeing the band with their guitars and drums and wearing pegged pants and striped shirts, it hit me full force that at long last I was seeing my heroes in person.  The excitement was about to begin…

…only something was very wrong.  There were five musicians taking the stage, but no Brian Wilson.  Singer Mike Love stepped up to the microphone, greeted the crowd and told us, “We’re sorry to tell you that Brian Wilson won’t be performing with us tonight, but filling in for him this evening we have the fine singer and bass player, Mr. Bruce Johnston.  Let’s have a big hand for Bruce Johnston!”  Right.  How do you “fill in” for Brian Wilson?  That’s impossible!  Love stated this announcement as though we were in for a special treat that night, but no one in no way could have said those words in such a way that would convince me that we were getting something extra special with this show.  No way.  For me, the let down was huge.  I loved the band, but for me, Brian Wilson was the band.  The sinking feeling I had over Wilson’s absence that night slammed my enthusiasm into the floor. 

Once again, Linda, if not came to the rescue, at least did her best to boost my spirits.  She said, “Hey, it’s ok, they will be great anyway!”  Her enthusiasm helped buoy my enjoyment of the show at least part of the time, but at those moments in each song where Wilsons’ falsetto voice is featured on the records, on songs like “Don’t Worry Baby”, “Surfer Girls”, and “When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)”, when those moments came and that voice was absent, my heart fell like a stone.  It was a good show with some excellent moments, but without Brian Wilson’s presence, it was not a great show and it was the only chance I would ever have to see my first favorite rock and roll idol.

• FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I’m new to The Beach Boys and am having trouble with Pet Sounds.  Is their something wrong with me?  Why is it recognized as one of the best all time?  I understand the album itself is important in of itself in relationship to the band but why does it fare so great versus almost every other album ever made?