Options

If Lightning Bolt was their last album,would you be satisfied?

13»

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830

mcgruff10 said:

I don't think I'd be satisfied to an extent if they quit releasing new albums. The last three albums in particular show slight signs that greatness is still in them in regards to new music. Slight. As albums, the last three have been kind of weak. So it's frustrating as a fan to see the signs of light breakthrough only to give way to a meh album. I think the band has it in them to put out another 12 song album that is amazing beginning to end.
    As a recording artist, I know it's harder than it sounds. When I put out my first album I was in love with every second of every song. A couple of years later now and I think "what if I'd replaced this song with another" or "this is bad". Of the 12 songs on it, 7 or 8 are still strong to me. I was just trying to please myself with this record, not thousands of fans. So I totally feel for the band.

From your perspective, what songs were signs of greatness of the last three albums?
    Oh damn! Being put on the spot. Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Army Reserve, Got Some, Speed of Sound (lyrically), Force of Nature, Getaway, Infallible, and Pendulum.

That's off the top of my head without much thought...so be kind, man. Lol

I freaking love marker!! Good list bud and I agree with most of them. Pendulum has really grown on me over the past few months.
    Why wouldn't you add an instant classic like lighting bolt to this list?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I don't think I'd be satisfied to an extent if they quit releasing new albums. The last three albums in particular show slight signs that greatness is still in them in regards to new music. Slight. As albums, the last three have been kind of weak. So it's frustrating as a fan to see the signs of light breakthrough only to give way to a meh album. I think the band has it in them to put out another 12 song album that is amazing beginning to end.
    As a recording artist, I know it's harder than it sounds. When I put out my first album I was in love with every second of every song. A couple of years later now and I think "what if I'd replaced this song with another" or "this is bad". Of the 12 songs on it, 7 or 8 are still strong to me. I was just trying to please myself with this record, not thousands of fans. So I totally feel for the band.

From your perspective, what songs were signs of greatness of the last three albums?
    Oh damn! Being put on the spot. Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Army Reserve, Got Some, Speed of Sound (lyrically), Force of Nature, Getaway, Infallible, and Pendulum.

I freaking love marker!! Good list bud and I agree with most of them. Pendulum has really grown on me over the past few months.
    Thanks man! Lightning Bolt the song never really clicked with me. It felt like another crack at writing an arena epic like they tried with Unthought Known. Actually, the structure of the two songs is pretty similar. Palm muted guitar intro played by Ed into a (bad) chorus that builds and builds. I feel like it's a great start to a great song...but not quite there yet.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Are we ever satisfied here? really cmon man
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    you know what....yes. they have given me more than they know. but in reality they are not done yet and they will amaze us with many more gems in the future. they have a lot more to give, a lot more to say, and a lot more rockin to do.

hey ho lets go ...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    hrd2imgn said:

Are we ever satisfied here? really cmon man

Hahahahahaha! So true!
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    the music has infinite grace,thanks PJ
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rummy said:

They seem to be too spread out now. Eddie is all over the place. Jeff lives in Montana. Matt is touring with Soundgarden.

The mix just doesn't seem to gel anymore. I'm guessing that getting together to do an album is a real chore where they try to get shit done ASAP so they can do their own thing.

no. I want more. But, i get it. I get how life expands and pushes some of even your favourite things into smaller boxes in deeper closets. But man, when you bring that box out, its a ripping good time.

I dont think this band will ever break up in the traditional sense. Theyll tour less, theyll make less music, but the magic will always be there when they do get together.

Id love an EP of punk covers or something, though.

Sort of like The Spaghetti Incident?
    yep. out of all GNR records, that's the one I probably listen to the most.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited April 2017

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Thanks man! Lightning Bolt the song never really clicked with me. It felt like another crack at writing an arena epic like they tried with Unthought Known. Actually, the structure of the two songs is pretty similar. Palm muted guitar intro played by Ed into a (bad) chorus that builds and builds. I feel like it's a great start to a great song...but not quite there yet.
    I've already thought the same thing about those two songs. Great starts that indeed fizzle out by the time their choruses come around.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited April 2017
    I would be satisfied with their great career, so yes if that's what you're asking. What I'm guessing the intent of the question is (and a very good one), is would Lightning Bolt be a good last album. Then my answer is no. Very few save maybe the Beatles ended on a high note album. The band members can't stay 27 years old forever, so the fire in the belly that made them great to begin with is gone. But some bands can bow out gracefully which I'm sure PJ will do sooner or later...but I hope for another album/tour in 2019.

I love PJ, I bought the tape cassette of Ten when I was 18 - but I was disappointed with Lightning Bolt. My favorite track is Let The Records Play (which I know for some people is maybe their least favorite?). I tried hard to like Mind Your Manners and Sirens (Sirens is growing on me still), but nothing on LB ever hooked me like Black or Light Years did "back in the day". I noticed Binaural is when I started to skip tracks. I never skipped a track from Ten through Yield (except maybe Stupid Mop and Bugs cuz they scared my friends LOL). Riot Act was my first disappointment. Avocado was an improvement and I actually like Backspacer for the most part.

Lightning Bolt was not the record I was expecting in 2013. I'm not saying it's bad, but to me it might as well be "easy listening" compared to the 1991-1998 peak-era. I enjoy Lost Dogs and even Riot Act much more than Lightning Bolt. So I hope LB is not PJ's last album. If it was, I could live with that.
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options

I would be satisfied with their great career, so yes if that's what you're asking. What I'm guessing the intent of the question is (and a very good one), is would Lightning Bolt be a good last album. Then my answer is no. Very few save maybe the Beatles ended on a high note album. The band members can't stay 27 years old forever, so the fire in the belly that made them great to begin with is gone. But some bands can bow out gracefully which I'm sure PJ will do sooner or later...but I hope for another album/tour in 2019.

I love PJ, I bought the tape cassette of Ten when I was 18 - but I was disappointed with Lightning Bolt. My favorite track is Let The Records Play (which I know for some people is maybe their least favorite?). I tried hard to like Mind Your Manners and Sirens (Sirens is growing on me still), but nothing on LB ever hooked me like Black or Light Years did "back in the day". I noticed Binaural is when I started to skip tracks. I never skipped a track from Ten through Yield (except maybe Stupid Mop and Bugs cuz they scared my friends LOL). Riot Act was my first disappointment. Avocado was an improvement and I actually like Backspacer for the most part.

Lightning Bolt was not the record I was expecting in 2013. I'm not saying it's bad, but to me it might as well be "easy listening" compared to the 1991-1998 peak-era. I enjoy Lost Dogs and Riot Act much more than Lightning Bolt. So I hope LB is not PJ's last album. But if it was, I could live with that.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Lightning Bolt was not the record I was expecting in 2013. I'm not saying it's bad, but to me it might as well be "easy listening" compared to the 1991-1998 peak-era. I enjoy Lost Dogs and even Riot Act much more than Lightning Bolt. So I hope LB is not PJ's last album. If it was, I could live with that.

I like this input. Definitely have some different takes on some songs & albums than most folks do. I find that's how my taste works around here as well. Songs everyone raves about, I'm just like, yeah, it's decent but not what everyone makes it out to be (e.g. Of The Earth). Songs people rip on all the time I tend to love (Evacuation).
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I decided to put LB on right now. I'm at Yellow Moon, and honestly, besides the uber-cheese of two songs, I think it's a good record.

I'd be ok with it being their last record quality-wise, but not at all because this band better never fucking quit on me.

I WON'T LET THEM.

=)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Do you consider abbey road or let it be as the beatles last record? if it's abbey road than I agree with you 100%.
  • Options

I noticed Binaural is when I started to skip tracks. I never skipped a track from Ten through Yield (except maybe Stupid Mop and Bugs cuz they scared my friends LOL). Riot Act was my first disappointment. Avocado was an improvement and I actually like Backspacer for the most part.

It's like you read my mind when you wrote that.

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170

I decided to put LB on right now. I'm at Yellow Moon, and honestly, besides the uber-cheese of two songs, I think it's a good record.

I'd be ok with it being their last record quality-wise, but not at all because this band better never fucking quit on me.

I WON'T LET THEM.

=)

Right? Yellow Moon has become one of favorites lately. There's some solid songs on LB and they sound great live. Pendulum is up there for me as well. I'm happy with their recorded output so far, but I look at how Rush put out 2 great records late in their career and that's the bar I've set for every other band. That's probably unfair, but hey..they're inspiring.. It was nice to see PJ hanging with them at the HOF..
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Do you consider abbey road or let it be as the beatles last record? if it's abbey road than I agree with you 100%.
    Yes, I consider Abbey Road their last because Let It Be was recorded before.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I noticed Binaural is when I started to skip tracks. I never skipped a track from Ten through Yield (except maybe Stupid Mop and Bugs cuz they scared my friends LOL). Riot Act was my first disappointment. Avocado was an improvement and I actually like Backspacer for the most part.

It's like you read my mind when you wrote that.

B)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346

Them just turning into a touring act would be devastating. Losing their relevance etc.

But skipping albums and instead making the annual single into an EP would be ok :)

THIS...would be very cool
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    I would be satisfied with their great career, so yes if that's what you're asking. What I'm guessing the intent of the question is (and a very good one), is would Lightning Bolt be a good last album. Then my answer is no. Very few save maybe the Beatles ended on a high note album. The band members can't stay 27 years old forever, so the fire in the belly that made them great to begin with is gone. But some bands can bow out gracefully which I'm sure PJ will do sooner or later...but I hope for another album/tour in 2019. I love PJ, I bought the tape cassette of Ten when I was 18 - but I was disappointed with Lightning Bolt. My favorite track is Let The Records Play (which I know for some people is maybe their least favorite?). I tried hard to like Mind Your Manners and Sirens (Sirens is growing on me still), but nothing on LB ever hooked me like Black or Light Years did "back in the day". I noticed Binaural is when I started to skip tracks. I never skipped a track from Ten through Yield (except maybe Stupid Mop and Bugs cuz they scared my friends LOL). Riot Act was my first disappointment. Avocado was an improvement and I actually like Backspacer for the most part. Lightning Bolt was not the record I was expecting in 2013. I'm not saying it's bad, but to me it might as well be "easy listening" compared to the 1991-1998 peak-era. I enjoy Lost Dogs and even Riot Act much more than Lightning Bolt. So I hope LB is not PJ's last album. If it was, I could live with that.
    Wanted to say after listening to Lightning Bolt album last night...it's now one of my current favorites! For five years I didn't want to like it, but for some reason last night it just clicked. The track that did it for me was "My Father's Son". Never really gave it a chance, but man did it knock me on my ass last night (no - I wasn't drinking either)! A week ago I was listening to Single Podcast Theory and guest Clint was saying something about giving "My Father's Son" another chance. At random I hit play on it and spun the whole album. Great listen front to back...I love it.

I stand corrected...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Everything has been a gift IMO since No Code. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    I would be satisfied. Its a great album
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I would be unhappy if they stopped making new albums, but if they stopped doing shows, that would sadden the rest of my life every day.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    One new song in the past five years, maybe lighting bolt really is it?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    edited July 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    One new song in the past five years, maybe lighting bolt really is it?

Then why have they talked about a forthcoming album? Even tenclub in newsletters...

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    edited July 2018
    No way. I think this band still has some great music left in it. I'd love to see them turn more towards acoustic-based albums as the years go by. I think they're a life band and will hopefully continue for as long as all of them are around.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I think as they all get older they’ll need to make albums of songs they are able to comfortably play/sing live so they can continue touring. I thought Ed was going to do that with Lightening Bolt tbh but he went pretty hard on that. They’d probably see that as too much as a compromise tho. But yeah, I was satisfied after No Code, everything that came after that has just been really sweet icing.
    Nature drunk and High