PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Machado is not a shortstop.  Goodness gracious, his range left is dare I say worse than Jeter. 

Hate these Yankees rumors, though he wouldn't be playing short for them, obviously.
    I get you can make someone play where ever the hell you want them to play or they can ride the bench, but isn't he all about pissing and moaning to play short?
    He is. They asked him after the game and he said "I'm a shortstop".  I don't get it.  Yesterday was the first time I noticed it, not sure I have watched many yanks/o's games this year, but it was really really really bad.  Wouldn't a really good third baseman with a cannon of an arm have more value than a shitty shortstop?
    there was a story i saw somewhere the other day where it said Machado is i think one of the top 3 third basemen by metrics but in the lower half of shortstops.  I guess if you can hit like he can they will let you play where you want.  heck the Phils have a 2nd baseman playing shortstop, a shortstop on the DL who was playing 3rd, a 2nd baseman (originally before coming to Phils) playing center field and a first basemen playing left field so Machado at short would fit right in.

Trade deadline is going to be very interesting for the Phils for sure.  I think they get one veteran bat and a relief pitcher.  Hamels and Happ end up with Yanks and Sox in some fashion. Those two teams are going to match whatever the other does I think.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    Machado is not a shortstop.  Goodness gracious, his range left is dare I say worse than Jeter. 

Hate these Yankees rumors, though he wouldn't be playing short for them, obviously.
    I get you can make someone play where ever the hell you want them to play or they can ride the bench, but isn't he all about pissing and moaning to play short?
    He is. They asked him after the game and he said "I'm a shortstop".  I don't get it.  Yesterday was the first time I noticed it, not sure I have watched many yanks/o's games this year, but it was really really really bad.  Wouldn't a really good third baseman with a cannon of an arm have more value than a shitty shortstop?
    there was a story i saw somewhere the other day where it said Machado is i think one of the top 3 third basemen by metrics but in the lower half of shortstops.  I guess if you can hit like he can they will let you play where you want.  heck the Phils have a 2nd baseman playing shortstop, a shortstop on the DL who was playing 3rd, a 2nd baseman (originally before coming to Phils) playing center field and a first basemen playing left field so Machado at short would fit right in.

Trade deadline is going to be very interesting for the Phils for sure.  I think they get one veteran bat and a relief pitcher.  Hamels and Happ end up with Yanks and Sox in some fashion. Those two teams are going to match whatever the other does I think.

Have made my opinion known on the Phils approach to defensive positions, so I'll leave that alone.  But if you're signing a 10 year contract and are a very good 3rd baseman and a below average SS,  just play 3rd.  Teams are going to value you as 3rd assuming you'll move someday.  Then again, the Yanks played my favorite player out of position for 10 years, so you have a point haha.  Little different situation though.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

I guess short stop is the "sexier" position in baseball now? That's why he's so obsessed with playing there? Whoever ends up trading for and/or signing him will probably have to agree to play him there initially...but I would be surprised if don't they move him back to third within a year or two.

Arenado is interesting.  Rockies are still kind of in wild card chase though. You think they would want to trade him at this point?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

I guess short stop is the "sexier" position in baseball now? That's why he's so obsessed with playing there? Whoever ends up trading for and/or signing him will probably have to agree to play him there initially...but I would be surprised if don't they move him back to third within a year or two.

Arenado is interesting.  Rockies are still kind of in wild card chase though. You think they would want to trade him at this point?

Hasn't it always been that way - that SS is the sexy position when it comes with power? I mean when he was drafted the comp was A Rod right? But A Rod was actually a Gold Glover at short.

I'm not sure if the Rockies would ever do it, but I read an article a week or so ago that said how he's sick of not being in the playoffs and contending year in and year out, etc. I would think that will always be a problem with Colorado. I'd just rather be aggressive for someone I at least have control over for another year instead of a pure rental, which is just dumb to give everything up.

Yeah....just happy to have a competitive team again and even thinking about this stuff.

I fired up the ol' At Bat app for the first time in a few years a couple weeks ago.

chinese-happy.jpg
    Couldn’t ask for a better performance out of the young buck
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hello

chinese-happy.jpg

Yeah....just happy to have a competitive team again and even thinking about this stuff.

I fired up the ol' At Bat app for the first time in a few years a couple weeks ago.

That start alone was worth trading Galvis. 

Re: The At Bat app, do people find some other way to listen games? And don't say the radio!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Hello

Goooooooood morning!!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052

Re: The At Bat app, do people find some other way to listen games? And don't say the radio!
    I constantly listen to games on the at-bat app, especially late games.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."

I'm going to synch it up with a blue tooth speaker and wave goodbye to the shitty Phil's tv announcers.

Beat Tmac and Murph! 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

I'm going to synch it up with a blue tooth speaker and wave goodbye to the shitty Phil's tv announcers.

Beat Tmac and Murph! 

I don't think it'll be totally in synch. I only say that because they said in the Steve Bartman 30 for 30 documentary that, if he was listening to the radio broadcast on those headphones he was wearing, it would be about 5 or 6 seconds behind. But that was 15 years ago.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    At bat app is about a pitch behind.

Beat Tmac and Murph! 

Yeah, wait, what? Is this possible?

I just love the At Bat app because I no longer have a radio and can play the game on my blue tooth speaker out back in the yard.

Beat Tmac and Murph! 

I don't think it'll be totally in synch. I only say that because they said in the Steve Bartman 30 for 30 documentary that, if he was listening to the radio broadcast on those headphones he was wearing, it would be about 5 or 6 seconds behind. But that was 15 years ago.

Just pause the tv and wait a few seconds for it to catch up to the app? I would think that would work...no?

Maybe I'll give it a whirl tonight and see what happens

chinese-happy.jpg

Regarding the radio broadcasts: I miss having LA on the road games. Kevin Stocker is alright, I guess.

Don't see the need for the likes of Kevin Fransden and Kevin Jordan though.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    At bat is a pitch behind off TV, two pitches behind if you're listening while at a game. Regular radio is a pitch ahead of TV.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    wait people still listen to baseball on the radio? who knew...
    pjhawks said:
    Pretty much every evening while cooking dinner, at least the beginning of the game.
    pjhawks said:
    Pretty much every evening while cooking dinner, at least the beginning of the game.

Yeah all the time in the car or if I'm doing stuff around the house and not near the tv....or out on the deck with a few pops. I mean, this is America still, right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited July 2018
    pjhawks said:

Yeah all the time in the car or if I'm doing stuff around the house and not near the tv....or out on the deck with a few pops. I mean, this is America still, right?
    car i get but you need a TV that can be seen from the deck and/or kitchen.  Or stream the game on your phone and have it with you while you cook or are on deck. CSN or whatever the hell it's called these days streams every game.  it's 2018 people get with the times :smiley:
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

car i get but you need a TV that can be seen from the deck and/or kitchen.  Or stream the game on your phone and have it with you while you cook or are on deck. CSN or whatever the hell it's called these days streams every game.  it's 2018 people get with the times :smiley:

The tv can be seen from the deck, but why not add a little sound? Baseball on the radio (or the atbat app) always has seemed like a relaxing past time to me. Background summer noise. I love it.

Plus Franske>Tmac

chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    hopefully they can get some offense in the extra innings.  Go Phills!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I think a good radio announcer calls a better game than the TV guys.  If you are just listening and can't see the  screen the radio is my option as well.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I think a good radio announcer calls a better game than the TV guys.  If you are just listening and can't see the  screen the radio is my option as well.  
     Very much agreed. I have mlb.tv and the radio through at bat and if I can’t pay full attention to the screen, I pick radio 10 times out of 10, even with John sterling

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    better not lose to the O's
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD