Band Offstage: 12:32
Walk On Music: Metamorphosis #2-Phillip Glass

01. Long Road
02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
03. Corduroy
04. Hail, Hail
05. Mind Your Manners
06. Do The Evolution
(Ed addresses the audience in Spanish.  He starts with the local accent even.  He says something about playing here and says what appears to be not flattering things about the Russian football team and tauntingly says goodbye to Russia, I think)
07.  Ghost (most of the band gathers around the front of Matt’s riser to end the song)
08. Nothing As It Seems
(Ed talks about all the nice people from various locations around the world that they have met here.  “Sergei from Russia is one of them, oh sorry for insulting you earlier Sergei.  We are playing a lot of requests. This is one of them.”)
09. Setting Forth
10. Given To Fly
(This one is called “Tiny Penis Orange Man”)
11. Even Flow (Mike has guitar issue at the top of the song.  He switches out before the first chorus and continues on.)
(It’s a good night for music on Friday the 13th.  Prophets Of Rage are playing.  I wish I could be there.  Ed tells the audience that Prophets are here so let them know how you really feel.  He also talks about long time fans who meet up and form a community and it is difficult when you lose somebody.  Ed mentions a fan named Israel Barrales who passed away unexpectedly after a surgery. )
12.  Oceans
13. Light Years
(Ed speaks in Spanish. Something about equality or strength of women and introduces the song)
14. Daughter / It's OK-(Cole) tag sung in Spanish and English lasts about 2:40)
15. Jeremy
16. Go
17. State Of Love And Trust
18. Porch

Encore Break One
(Praises Barcelona. Some balls drawn to look like basketballs prompts Ed to say Barcelona has balls.  Big orange ones.  Which leads to some talk about how awful Trump is and how important it is to vote him and others like him away.  He also talks about going to Sagrada Familia and seeing the works of a great man, Gaudi.  It has been a long time since I went to church but we found out that just by paying to get in our sins had been forgiven.  So Matt and I are feeling a lot better right now)

19. Sleeping By Myself
(EV has the camera point out a shirt that goes back to Gordie from The Tragically Hip and Ed recently lost a friend named Ken and wants to play this for them)
20. Come Back
21. Lightning Bolt
22. Black
23. Once
24. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break Two
(Matt’s drum tech is showered with praise and Ed gets the audience to sing him Happy Birthday in Spanish.  Pretty sure they referred to him with a pejorative nick name.)
25. Smile (Jeff guitar/ Stone Bass)
26. Wasted Reprise
27. Better Man / Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 2 min
28. Alive
29. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
(Mike starts Yellow Ledbetter but Ed stops him to read a letter from 9 yo Miguel who wants to meet Ed and to have them play Yellow Ledbetter.  Miguel made a drawing showing him down front at the concert.)
30. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• KSLAYTONKSLAYTON Posts: 6
    A magical night. I have given tenclub some grief in the past but they gave us fantastic seats for a phenomenal show! This band is just amazing...no need to talk about setlists it’s just a special night when you get to see this band and to see them for the first time in a country where the fans lugerkaay don’t speak the language of the songs just makes you appreciate the beauty of it all! A wonderful night!!!
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    no poster, no shirts
    but...
    this is my favourite show so far 
    full of favourite hits and deep cuts
    the highlight is ghost, oceans, light years
    and met one of the nicest people on this trip

PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    Spain’s last PJ gig was 2010! Last show in Barca...2006...hard to believe...looks like a great set with a mix of crowd faves and as always a few nice surprises! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Holy shit what a fuckin. night
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • cocheese77cocheese77 Manchester UK Posts: 29
    Sat here in my Barcelona hotel room dehydrated to hell and ears ringing because the crowd were so LOUD!!! an increadible evening indeed.
    www.stickittoms.com

Birmingham 2009 582 Drummers
    Manchester 2012 798 Drummers!!

Raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Ghost into NAIS?!?
    You can stop going to shows now D. You’re done!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    nice to see Binaural and Riot Act so songs .,sounds fun

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Great show, didn't have time to stream live, but just finished watching them now! Thanks Sea for the views as always!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Hahah 
     Over and out......mic drop
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    I'm sat at the airport with a croissant and hot chocolate, and I'm so so glad I made the trip for this one.  The energy was very high all night, setlist was nice and varied. The Riot Act and Binaural love this tour has been wonderful.

I took it easy for this one and had a lower tier seat. It was immense watching the crowd on the floor nuts, and I was in a super cool section where almost everyone was rocking out. Nobody sat down all night, it was a total party.

Ghost, NAIS, Oceans, Light Years, Setting Forth were fantastic additions to the main set, and Come Back in the encore was stunning.  The energy during RVM was sick and it blew the roof off.

Alive-Baba-Yellow Ledbetter is always my favourite run to end a show and this was no different. House lights on,  every soul singing and dancing. It was pure joy.

2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    The Rock said:
    I'm sat at the airport with a croissant and hot chocolate, and I'm so so glad I made the trip for this one.  The energy was very high all night, setlist was nice and varied. The Riot Act and Binaural love this tour has been wonderful.

I took it easy for this one and had a lower tier seat. It was immense watching the crowd on the floor nuts, and I was in a super cool section where almost everyone was rocking out. Nobody sat down all night, it was a total party.

Ghost, NAIS, Oceans, Light Years, Setting Forth were fantastic additions to the main set, and Come Back in the encore was stunning.  The energy during RVM was sick and it blew the roof off.

Alive-Baba-Yellow Ledbetter is always my favourite run to end a show and this was no different. House lights on,  every soul singing and dancing. It was pure joy.

Were you the guy with the Get Right sign Mike's side in the lower seats?

Energy was so high for this one. Crowd so loud.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Great crowd but very standard setlist. Not the best show IMO.  Kept waiting for something other than a song from the greatest hits album but they kept coming .

Did PJ think they were playing a festival??
    edited July 2018
    Red Lukin said:
    Great crowd but very standard setlist. Not the best show IMO.  Kept waiting for something other than a song from the greatest hits album but they kept coming .

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Main set was great, second half was really standard and barely anything to get excited for.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    The Rock said:

Were you the guy with the Get Right sign Mike's side in the lower seats?

Energy was so high for this one. Crowd so loud.
    Nah I was lower tier 103 on Stone's side.

I don't know how anyone can complain about a set in 2018 that has Ghost, Oceans, NAIS, Light Years. 

I think the band have realised that the main set is the best time to throw in the rarities, but the encores are when they need to keep the energy up. That means you need the big guns. They're part of why we love this band! Too many rarities kills a crowd. Last night, the energy built and built, so by the time we got to Alive it was one big party. Just as it should be! 

I think if it gets to the point where you're disappointed to hear the hits, you've perhaps seen too many shows. I want Alive/Porch/RVM/Even Flow etc at every show. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
    Ah, I was the top of 103 Stone's side so we were quite close to each other then. So who was the culprit with the Get Right sign...

I'm personally not complaining about the set as a whole, the main set was incredible. As for the hits, sometimes when it feels right it's good to have one or two omitted a show. For example, scrapping Black for Whipping in Krakow. I just don't feel as if they all need to be played at every show with such an extensive back catalogue. You're right, too many rarities does kill a crowd, but they play for three hours, there's plenty of room to manoeuvre. I just felt the second half was a stark contrast to the first half. Could have added a Satan's Bed or a Sleight of Hand to get my juices flowing, but that's one person's opinion – you're never gonna keep everybody happy.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • eloviateeloviate Posts: 58
    Sleight and Fatal were sound checked 
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Red Lukin said:

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Main set was great, second half was really standard and barely anything to get excited for.
    This has happened in any show so far with the exception of Krakow where the encore was quite good
  • ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    Sea said:
    Pearl Jam
    Palau Sant Jordi
    Barcelona, ES
    July 10, 2018
    Set List

Band Onstage: 9:41
    Band Offstage: 12:32
    Walk On Music: Metamorphosis #2-Phillip Glass

01. Long Road
    02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    03. Corduroy
    04. Hail, Hail
    05. Mind Your Manners
    06. Do The Evolution
    (Ed addresses the audience in Spanish.  He starts with the local accent even.  He says something about playing here and says what appears to be not flattering things about the Russian football team and tauntingly says goodbye to Russia, I think)
    07.  Ghost (most of the band gathers around the front of Matt’s riser to end the song)
    08. Nothing As It Seems
    (Ed talks about all the nice people from various locations around the world that they have met here.  “Sergei from Russia is one of them

Encore Break Two
    (Matt’s drum tech is showered with praise and Ed gets the audience to sing him Happy Birthday in Spanish.  Pretty sure they referred to him with a pejorative nick name.)

hahahahah. Yes... EV called him “Viejo Pendejo” in a totally funny and inoffensive way. “Viejo Pendejo” is like “Ederly asshole man” hahahaha.... as the guy just turned 40 yo.
    -- rafa
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Red Lukin said:

Quite formulaic. In Prague after the main set I was all WHITE FUCKING JOURNEY ARE WE ON?!?! and then they reigned it all in with the "standard songs" encores. Especially the last one.  

They should get inspired by Boston 2010 and Hartford 2008 (the GOAT boots in the last 10 years):

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    It was a freaking high energy show. Enjoyed the whole setlist. I was expecting a couple real unexpected rarities for hardcore fans (maybe they’re saving it for London make up show) But anyway it was amazing. I had a blast. The pit was jumping around pretty much all the time.

Heading to Madrid now to attend the whole MadCool festival. Let’s see what surprises the guys will have for us tomorrow \m/
    -- rafa
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    How'd ya like NAIS compared to Berlin 2009 (Which I think I remember you digging).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    Red Lukin said:

First show in Barca for 12 years...and only one show...no great surprise the set was hit friendly. Maybe if there had been a second show then we may have seen a few more rarities. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989
    Any show that has NAIS, Light Years, Come Back and Smile is going to be a special one.  The fact they played Oceans in spot 12....leaves me 
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    goldrush said:
    Ghost into NAIS?!?
    You can stop going to shows now D. You’re done!
    Really. Did Dimi win a contest to create the set list in Barcelona? ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
    BTW... I’m looking for a Barcelona poster :’(
    -- rafa
  • JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    Great set.  So who here was wearing the Gord Downie shirt?
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
    Anybody else notice Oceans was in a lower key? Has that ever happened before? Should we be concerned?

: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJWGIII said:
    Anybody else notice Oceans was in a lower key? Has that ever happened before? Should we be concerned?
    No more concerned than the last few years. He hasn't been able to hit those higher register parts since at least 2013. Just a part of getting older. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    PJWGIII said:
    No more concerned than the last few years. He hasn't been able to hit those higher register parts since at least 2013. Just a part of getting older. 
    Wrigley 2 2016 was pretty awesome though and that was original key.

EV: