The Ocean. Fishing & Whaling. Sustainable? Illegal? Over fished?

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Plastic straws are not the problem ... people are...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I really think if there was a world-wide general understanding of what we are doing to the oceans and what the consequences of that implies, we would all let out a collective gasp and an emphatic "FUCK!"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I watched a documentary on the growing problem. Much of the micro plastic comes from our clothing.

We wash our lululemons and this is how a new source of plastic is contaminating our oceans.

It's looking pretty bleak for us, folks.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • The polar ice caps disappearing is the biggest telltale sign we are doomed. 

Things are happening exponentially. Aside from the obvious implications the melting ice caps pose for all life on the planet... think of this: much of the suns rays are reflected back to space hitting the ice. As the ice disappears... less sun is reflected back. The earth will absorb that energy and of course... get warmer.

There are too many things we have abused for too long to reverse course. Our numbers aren't decreasing and we are well past the threshold of sustainability.

It's okay though. Our extinction was going to happen. We're just reaching the point where we understand this and some generation was going to come to this realization.
    The polar ice caps disappearing is the biggest telltale sign we are doomed. 

Things are happening exponentially. Aside from the obvious implications the melting ice caps pose for all life on the planet... think of this: much of the suns rays are reflected back to space hitting the ice. As the ice disappears... less sun is reflected back. The earth will absorb that energy and of course... get warmer.

There are too many things we have abused for too long to reverse course. Our numbers aren't decreasing and we are well past the threshold of sustainability.

It's okay though. Our extinction was going to happen. We're just reaching the point where we understand this and some generation was going to come to this realization.
    Everything is likely doomed to eventual extinction but what's your best guess, Thirty?  In terms of the foreseeable future, are we doomed to extinction world wide or will pockets of humanity survive, at least for the coming few centuries or more?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:

Everything is likely doomed to eventual extinction but what's your best guess, Thirty?  In terms of the foreseeable future, are we doomed to extinction world wide or will pockets of humanity survive, at least for the coming few centuries or more?

The year 2100 seems to be bantered about quite a bit with regards to when 'shit will hit the fan'. I'm thinking 'discomfort' will likely occur around then, but that seems to be the best guestimate for my relatively simple mind.

There'll definitely be pockets of humanity that will try and ride it out. How these groups might manage and co-exist is the stuff made of movies.
    brianlux said:

The year 2100 seems to be bantered about quite a bit with regards to when 'shit will hit the fan'. I'm thinking 'discomfort' will likely occur around then, but that seems to be the best guestimate for my relatively simple mind.

There'll definitely be pockets of humanity that will try and ride it out. How these groups might manage and co-exist is the stuff made of movies.
    Yeas, some good movies have come out of the "end of the world" business.  I wish they would make one based on George R. Stewart's Earth Abides.  Damn, that's a fine book! 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Start eating vegetarian. Like all people with a working empathy in 2018. 

And take care of your trash.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • No problem!

I love sharing a laugh.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850

I still can't believe that our recycling programs aren't better here in the US...
    Let's start small and use plastic straws as an example.

I still can't believe that our recycling programs aren't better here in the US...
    Don't you guys still have that "landfill idea"?

Do you throw you trash in difference bins like in Sweden?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

We don't have anything like that here.  I have a recycling bin that I fill up.

But what do yo do with the stuff in your bin?

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I agree the whales should be off limits except for the indeginous population..
    I do know a whale, decent sized one, feed their families all year long.

What if they kill something that's endangered?
    Yeah not good if endangered I'd say it's off limits...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

It's a "recycle bin" that the town collects to recycle.

Here in the US it all depends on where you live.  In some rural areas, recycling bins are a pit in the ground, sort of like this:

Many cities have bins like these:

In out town we have bins like these to put mixed recyclables that get sorted at the disposal site:

• brianlux said:

Here in the US it all depends on where you live.  In some rural areas, recycling bins are a pit in the ground, sort of like this:

In out town we have bins like these to put mixed recyclables that get sorted at the disposal site:

Geezuz Brian that first picture makes me want to gather team slap... sort through the mess for an address of some sort... take a little drive for a visit... aaaaand... "WHAP".

In our region, two outdoor enthusiasts dug through someone's trash that was unceremoniously dumped in the bush and did exactly that (minus the slap). They returned the trash- recording the interaction- and warned the shitbirds they would shame them if they did it again.
    brianlux said:

Okey. Well the middle systen is like in Sweden. 

Thought the US was still using the landfill-strategy. 

brianlux said:

Geezuz Brian that first picture makes me want to gather team slap... sort through the mess for an address of some sort... take a little drive for a visit... aaaaand... "WHAP".

In our region, two outdoor enthusiasts dug through someone's trash that was unceremoniously dumped in the bush and did exactly that (minus the slap). They returned the trash- recording the interaction- and warned the shitbirds they would shame them if they did it again.
    Good for them for returning the trash! 

One of the women I work with years ago was looking out the store window and saw a guy stuck in traffic toss a cigarette out the car window.  She ran out, stepped on the cigarette to make sure it was out, picked it up and tossed it back into the car through the window and said, "Here, I think you lost this!"

Those garbage pits like in the first photo-- it's disgusting.  You see them all over rural America.  I don't get it- people who live closer to nature seem to like to leave piles of trash in pits or strewn all around the yard. 

One time when I lived in the Bay Area, a friend went for a drive through a rural neighborhood in Northern California and drove past this house that had trash strewn all over the place and the friend called out, "Look!  Rural art!". 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

One of the women I work with years ago was looking out the store window and saw a guy stuck in traffic toss a cigarette out the car window.  She ran out, stepped on the cigarette to make sure it was out, picked it up and tossed it back into the car through the window and said, "Here, I think you lost this!"

Those garbage pits like in the first photo-- it's disgusting.  You see them all over rural America.  I don't get it- people who live closer to nature seem to like to leave piles of trash in pits or strewn all around the yard. 

One time when I lived in the Bay Area, a friend went for a drive through a rural neighborhood in Northern California and drove past this house that had trash strewn all over the place and the friend called out, "Look!  Rural art!". 
    In Rural areas they usually burn their trash.  The rumor is that burning plastic keeps away the bugs...
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

In Rural areas they usually burn their trash.  The rumor is that burning plastic keeps away the bugs...
    Lol

It might be true: bugs are a little smarter than we give them credit for: they'll typically avoid toxicity.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They do indeed!  We're in a semi-rural neighbor hood and it happens now and then.  About a month ago at around 11 PM this horrid stench started wafting into the house.  It was the unmistakable smell of burning trash.   It was a warm night and we had to close up all the windows.  Burning plastic smells bad and is toxic as hell, but the worst smell is burning cardboard.  That stuff stinks like... well, actually, I'd say worse than shit!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They do indeed!  We're in a semi-rural neighbor hood and it happens now and then.  About a month ago at around 11 PM this horrid stench started wafting into the house.  It was the unmistakable smell of burning trash.   It was a warm night and we had to close up all the windows.  Burning plastic smells bad and is toxic as hell, but the worst smell is burning cardboard.  That stuff stinks like... well, actually, I'd say worse than shit!
    Burning shit actually does keep the bugs away, lol and doesn't usually smell if it's dry.

Burning plastic stinks bad...

I do like the smell of burning cardboard!!!
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Burning shit actually does keep the bugs away, lol and doesn't usually smell if it's dry.

Burning plastic stinks bad...

I do like the smell of burning cardboard!!!
    Well then, my friend, I have a nice little gif for you!

:lol:

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Let's start small and use plastic straws as an example.
    If you wanna ban all plastic that's fine with me.  A nice cold Coca Cola on a hot summer day always taste better in a glass bottle.
    Give Peas A Chance…