My new music memoir, One in the Crowd, is here at last!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
It's taken me 3 1/2 years, six major revisions, two major edits and a final going over and a lot of back and forth with the printer to get everything fine tuned, but they're here at last!

My book is essentially a memoir that mainly revolves around my experiences with music- music I've loved, shows I helped out on during my stage crew days in high school , many of the best shows I've seen, musicians I've known and met. There is also a small photo collage of The Who from 1968 that a friend of mine took at the show we attended at the San Jose Civic Auditorium and a small photo collage of the Jimi Hendrix Experience that I personally took at one of the October, 1968 shows at Winterland in San Francisco, California.

If any of you are interested in the book, I have it listed through biblio,com (linked below. Just put in "Brian Lux" in the author tab and "One in the Crowd" in the title tab). Because I have an older version of Homebase, I had to list each copy separately. When these are gone, I will list more. I thought about selling them independently but Biblio has been super good to me and my itty bitty business, and although going through them will cost me some, it will help my business.

I apologize in advance to anyone interested in the book for its cost. I've only had one run of 100 copies printed. The cost per book, with all expenses added in, was about $21 each. I'm selling them for $15 (minus fees to me). If I do a second batch of 100 (iffy) they combined books will still average a little over what I am charging. If, by some miracle, I sell out of the first batch, I will have the second run printed which might take a few weeks. I know what you're thinking: "It's a wonder this guy is still in business," LOL!

I could not have made nearly as good a book as this turned out to be with the help of my loving and patient wife. Her help was enormous! Thank you, Dear!

Here's the link:

Biblio.com | Used Books and Rare Books from Antiquarian Booksellers

and here's what the book looks like:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    Thank you!!  I see your name on the order (S, right?) Shall I sign it to you using your real name?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited July 2018
    By the way, folks, my international shipping matrix on Biblio is incorrect. I've had back luck with shipments out of the states so I made those shipping costs very high for that reason. If any of you out of the US want to purchase a copy, PM me or email me and I'll give you a much more  reasonable international rate after I check with the post office to see how much the actual shipping are. Thanks and sorry for the confusion!

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Awesome. Congratulations.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Very cool!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Very nice Brian. I will try and get one ordered this week.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Congratulations Brian, this is fantastic !!!
    Thank you, friends!

Very nice Brian. I will try and get one ordered this week.
    Thank you WYTM. 

Remember, anyone outside the US, PM me before ordering so I can lower the shipping to a reasonable cost.  My foreign shipping matrix on Biblio is screwed up.
    :smile:

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,701
    Well done my friend. A great achievement indeed. You can be very proud
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    I'm in! (Next paycheck). Great title and love the pic of all the ticket stubs. Oh all the fun that was done back in the day!
    brianlux said:
    Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    Thank you!!  I see your name on the order (S, right?) Shall I sign it to you using your real name?
    Real Name? What fun would that be?   ;)
    Malroth said:
    brianlux said:
    Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    Real Name? What fun would that be?   ;)
    LOL,  Watch your mail, Malroth.  Shipping out Thursday!

camsjam said:
    Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    I'm in! (Next paycheck). Great title and love the pic of all the ticket stubs. Oh all the fun that was done back in the day!
    Awesome, thanks cams!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Of course I bought one!!!
    Of course I bought one!!!
    Awesome, man.  Thank you so much! 

• Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    I'm in. Just purchased.

Brian,
    Congrats on your book. I would love to have my copy signed.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Good work, Mr Lux!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Malroth said:
    Bought one.
    Who's with me!
    I'm in. Just purchased.

Brian,
    Congrats on your book. I would love to have my copy signed.
    For sure!  Thank you Astrisk!  I'll check my orders tonight after work and get it out to you Thursday.  :smile:

rgambs said:
    Good work, Mr Lux!
    Thank you, Mr. Gambs!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Congrats Brian!
    (Hey, don't be scared to try and make a profit man. ;) )
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Congrats Brian!
    (Hey, don't be scared to try and make a profit man. ;) )
    Thank you, Allison.

The only way I could make a profit on my book would be to sell it for over $20 plus shipping.  I think (hope, anyway) it's a good book but it's not that good, lol!   The profit for me is the feeling of accomplishment and the hopes that others will find something to enjoy in it.  :smile:

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited July 2018
    A Paul Westerberg ticket on the cover means i’ll be buying this one in the near future.  

I’m judging a book by its cover!
    A Paul Westerberg ticket on the cover means i’ll be buying this one in the near future.  

I’m judging a book by its cover!
    Thank you, cp3!  

LOL, it would be even better if I'd kept my ticket stubs from The Who and Jimi Hendrix.  On the other hand, there are photos I and a friend took of both those bands in the book to make up for no stubs!

Hey friends,  A few of you who are in Canada inquired about my shipping costs.  I have lowered shipping to Canada to $15.00  The average cost for me to ship to Canada is actually a little higher than that so that's best best I can do.   I think that's a bit outrageous myself, so I'm sorry it's so much!

I've had problems with shipping to Canada so I'm only keeping the shipping cost to there lowered until the end of the month. 

Thanks, Friends!

Thanks again all, for support end encouragement for my work.  Here's a better link than the one I provided before:

• I received my book! Thank you ... thank you ... thank you! I am looking forward to reading it.
    Brian, thank you for the million dollars. :wink:
    I received my book! Thank you ... thank you ... thank you! I am looking forward to reading it.
    Brian, thank you for the million dollars. :wink:
    Great- I'm glad it arrived OK! 

I figured, in case anyone doesn't like the book, how can they complain when they get a free million bucks, right?  LOL!

I received my book! thank you.  I've only read the preface and introduction.
    The part that stands out thus far is when you say if you don't interact with the band (show energy) why even go?
    I agree, but I've been around these parts enough to know a lot won't agree with that.
    Malroth said:
    I received my book! thank you.  I've only read the preface and introduction.
    The part that stands out thus far is when you say if you don't interact with the band (show energy) why even go?
    I agree, but I've been around these parts enough to know a lot won't agree with that.
    Thank you for input, Malroth!  Much appreciated.

One of the scary and oh-so-difficult things for me about writing a memoir (even when the focus is on a particular subject like music) is that in my writing, I very often think of what Edward Abbey once said about writing an "honest book".  His writing was at times brutally honest.  He offended everyone he knew (and I mean everyone!) but felt strongly that the primary goal of his task was to be honest.  I tried to balance that thought with the knowledge that I have biases that will often not be 100% right for everyone.  I tried to be honest but not offensive.  At times I agonized over that.  My biggest concern is that I probably will have offended some of those of my boomer generation for calling us to task for being so idealistic in the 60's yet letting so much of that slide in the pursuit of all our creature comforts.  I tried to balance that out by pointing out the good things we have done as well.  It will be interesting to hear from some of my peers that way.

• bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Wonderful! Congrats! I hope you are proud of your book. But I guess you also feel a tad bit of emptyness now that it is finished. I know I did when my book was finished. You work on it for so long and all of a sudden there is no book to work on anymore, since it is completed.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014