Options

Eddie stop throwing tambourines

It’s time for Ed to stop the tambourine throwing for three reasons. 
1. The “rail hounds” are only there for that reason.
2. It affects his performance, running about the stage at his age.
3. He throws that many that they are not special anymore (he must have thrown at least 20 in Prague).
Get back to the days of standing in front of the mike singing. In Prague he looked tired trying to run along the rail affecting his performance 
Pre 2006 tour he would throw a tambourine in that he had been using, not one of the mass produced tat that comes on tour.meaning that was a special gift for the recipient.
I want the moody Ed back.

Arnhem'06 Paris'06 Wembley'07 Manchester'09 Dublin'10 Belfast '10 Manchester1 '12 Manchester2 '12 Stockholm '12 Vancouver '13
Vienna Berlin Stockholm Leeds Milton Keynes '14 Philly 2 nights  '16 MSG 2 nights '16 EV Dublin '17 Amsterdam 1 
Padova Rome Prague Kraków Berlin '18

Comments

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Someone didn't get a tambourine in Prague ;)
  • Options
    BellaBella Posts: 120
    Someone didn't get a tambourine in Prague ;)
    Who? Must have been the only one. 
    Arnhem'06 Paris'06 Wembley'07 Manchester'09 Dublin'10 Belfast '10 Manchester1 '12 Manchester2 '12 Stockholm '12 Vancouver '13
    Vienna Berlin Stockholm Leeds Milton Keynes '14 Philly 2 nights  '16 MSG 2 nights '16 EV Dublin '17 Amsterdam 1 
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    It's more uncomfortable in the US.  That's when the "cool" mom and dad's who brought their young children to the show, lift their kids in the air or put their child on their shoulders with the hopes Eddie throws it to their kid.  Some of these children have absolute terror and fear in their eyes when this happens.  I feel bad for these kids.
  • Options
    In Rome we are at the back of 10c section. All concert a guy and his son, who was about 10, were dancing away all night. When Eddie came out with the tambourines the guy headed off down Mikes side and a few minutes later the son appeared on his shoulders and yes he got a tambourine 
  • Options
    I do miss angry Ed...
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2018

It affects his performance, running about the stage at his age.

In Prague he looked tired trying to run along the rail affecting his performance.

See Mick Jagger, he is the lead singer in a band called the Rolling Stones and they have been touring since 1962.      [56   years].  

Touring Europe right now.

Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    You’ve not seen Eddie this tour then
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Bella said:

Then maybe he should give it up.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Bella said:
    In Rome we are at the back of 10c section. All concert a guy and his son, who was about 10, were dancing away all night. When Eddie came out with the tambourines the guy headed off down Mikes side and a few minutes later the son appeared on his shoulders and yes he got a tambourine 
    next show i am taking my 8 year nephew who hates pearl jam but that doesn't matter cause i need a tambourine real bad
  • Options
    ryph raph said:
    Bella said:

Then maybe he should give it up.
    That’s what I’m saying. Give up the tambourine pish
    and focus on the singing
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    How about Ed does what ever the fuck he wants and if you have a problem with it you just stop attending shows?
  • Options
    Stryker said:
    How about Ed does what ever the fuck he wants and if you have a problem with it you just stop attending shows?
  • Options
    Quality response there. No ones allowed an opinion here I see.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Bella said:
    Quality post too.
    An opinion on if a grown man should still be throwing tamborines.
    Better yet, an opinion on someone you don't know from a hole in the ground, who you go to see a few times a year, on whether or not they want to throw tamborines to adoring fans. Did you consult Eddie on this? Did you ask him why he throws these tamborines? Did you ask him if he liked throwing tamborines? Did you ask him why he is sacrificing good hard-earned cash for boxes upon boxes of tamborines?
    Why have an opinion on something so trivial? Let the man throw a god damn tamborine.

An opinion on if a grown man should still be throwing tamborines. Just repeat that a few times in your head.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    I like the tambo throwing.  Good fun. And that s what it's all about. Good fun.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    It’s an opinion. RITFW. Free speech, and all that. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    Yep free 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    bovy_j said:
    Bella said:
    Quality post too.
    Better yet, an opinion on someone you don't know from a hole in the ground, who you go to see a few times a year, on whether or not they want to throw tamborines to adoring fans. Did you consult Eddie on this? Did you ask him why he throws these tamborines? Did you ask him if he liked throwing tamborines? Did you ask him why he is sacrificing good hard-earned cash for boxes upon boxes of tamborines?
    Why have an opinion on something so trivial? Let the man throw a god damn tamborine.

An opinion on if a grown man should still be throwing tamborines. Just repeat that a few times in your head.
    I absolutely love the last two lines lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    mcgruff10 said:
    bovy_j said:
    Bella said:
    Quality post too.

I absolutely love the last two lines lol. 
    Same, that was great!
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Personally I'm not a fan of throwing tambourines because it creates a mentality of people wanting one, and then subsequent actions to try and get one. People get caught up and occasionally forget the 'don't be an asshole' rule. 

I don't think it detracts from Eddie's performance though. At 50+ years old, he and the rest of the band kick ass with 3 hour shows and a new set list every show. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    I wish he’d frisbee throw them like he used to do. Now it’s a lot of eye contact, pointing, with a gentle toss. The big throw almost got my daughter hit in the head by one at ACL ‘09. I think that’s as close as I’ll get. 

Everyone share your envious almost got a tambourine story below.  
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I say throw more instruments. Guitars, microphones, Matt could throw some drums, Boom could roll is B3 off the side of the stage. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Hi! said:
    I say throw more instruments. Guitars, microphones, Matt could throw some drums, Boom could roll is B3 off the side of the stage. 
    I agree!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Glad Eddie cut back on the tambourines tonight. Great show but Rome still the best so far.
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    Hi! said:
    Haha!  I’d definitely make a dive for the B3!
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Hi! said:
    Haha!  I’d definitely make a dive for the B3!
    Just think, if he signed each key... :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Bella said:
    Glad Eddie cut back on the tambourines tonight. Great show but Rome still the best so far.
    Jeez, you seem a little too concerned about this. What have you got so deeply against tambourines? We get it, good suggestion, but relax....
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I know Eddie will just do whatever he feels like doing, but I agree with the request. The tambourine tossing shit kind of cheapens the end of the shows IMHO. I hate watching people scramble and beg.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Fist pump
  • Options
    VirtueVirtue Posts: 30
    Eddie is all about showing appreciation to the fans and this is one of the ways he does that. I understand it might make him tired but he’s going to be tired anyway during a long show and he’s in pretty good shape, he can handle it. For me being up front is about connecting with the band, not receiving material things. But if people do go up there for that reason alone then I think that’s pretty sad. I don’t like seeing super young kids in the pit at shows either to be honest, I do get the sense that their parents are more enthusiastic about them being there than they are. Especially because these shows go on so long I think a kid would like being in a seat a bit more but what do I know, I guess. The one other thing I completely disagree with is that Eddie giving out tambourines somehow makes him put less effort/energy/emotion into the songs. That just isn’t the case, and there’s a good chance he knows what he’s doing in terms of singing/performing at this point in his life, so he’s gonna do his thing,
    Speaking as a child of the 90's..

Philadelphia, PA 09/02/2012 | Brooklyn, NY 10/18/2013 | Brooklyn, NY 10/19/2013 | Baltimore, MD 10/27/2013 | NYC 9/26/2015 | Hampton, VA 4/18/2016 | Chicago, IL 8/20/2016 | Chicago, IL 8/22/2016 | Chicago, IL 8/18/2018 | Chicago, IL 8/20/2018