Kiss

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Horos said:
    Have any of you ever seen Kiss live? They came to Ireland in 2010, and it was one of the most memorable shows I ever attended. Like a circus.
    Saw them 1st on the Love Gun tour and a couple of years later after Dynasty. 3rd time when they reunited with all original members in the 90s and then a few years back with Motley Crue. All spectacles but the first was larger than life.

Kiss Alive is such a great album.
    How was that reunion tour? Was it really good, or more sloppy but cool to see them again. Peter Criss seemed tired (but happy) from the getgo... but maybe that's just his drumming style.
     I really enjoyed the reunion show. Didn't seem sloppy at all but I'm sure they rehearsed and put on the same show every night. The first time in 1978 I was only 11. I was my first concert and the show you see inside Alive II. The second time the show changed a bit. They added a couple of bits. After spitting blood Gene jerked upward and proceeded to fly to a platform 30-40 feet above the stage and during Ace's solo he did the smoking guitar but it ended with the guitars exploding above the stage.

I'm really only a fan of the first 6 albums and Ace's solo. I don't think I've listened to Alive III.
    #FHP
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    Have any of you ever seen Kiss live? They came to Ireland in 2010, and it was one of the most memorable shows I ever attended. Like a circus.
    Saw them 1st on the Love Gun tour and a couple of years later after Dynasty. 3rd time when they reunited with all original members in the 90s and then a few years back with Motley Crue. All spectacles but the first was larger than life.

Kiss Alive is such a great album.
    How was that reunion tour? Was it really good, or more sloppy but cool to see them again. Peter Criss seemed tired (but happy) from the getgo... but maybe that's just his drumming style.
     I really enjoyed the reunion show. Didn't seem sloppy at all but I'm sure they rehearsed and put on the same show every night. The first time in 1978 I was only 11. I was my first concert and the show you see inside Alive II. The second time the show changed a bit. They added a couple of bits. After spitting blood Gene jerked upward and proceeded to fly to a platform 30-40 feet above the stage and during Ace's solo he did the smoking guitar but it ended with the guitars exploding above the stage.

I'm really only a fan of the first 6 albums and Ace's solo. I don't think I've listened to Alive III.
    Revenge has some songs with strong hooks. Bob Ezrin returned. 

Worth listening to Alive III (I think). Best Deuce I've heard. But what do I know. :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Any interest or love here for Unmasked!? Just out of interest? 
    I like the album. Is that you? Is one of my fav kiss songs. There's some good stuff on Unmasked. 

But I can understand what some people don't like this era. More of a pop sound on many songs. 

I'm excited that I'll be visiting Kiss monster mini golf while in Vegas next week. There's a whole store full of stuff and a little mini museum. 
    This is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHlNgHmGqg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Doodled Ace

If my trains are still going (they're cancelling trains due to the weather affecting the rails) I'll see Gene Simmons tomorrow!
    Gene Simmons was really fun live - and what a setlist(!!!) compared to KISS shows. 

edited June 2018
    Asked if Ace and Peter will be back for their three year tour starting in 2019, Gene said:

- No, you can not work with people with drug problems. Peter and Ace joined and started something unique, but they can not join the 2010's in KISS. You can not get as many chances as possible. On the other hand, when I go to Australia in August, Ace Frehley will be the opening band during my solo tour, I think it will be fun. We are, after all, a family but just because you are a family, you can not work together.

KISS (1974). Catchy album with a raw sound. For being called ”Knights In Satans Service” KISS’ songs are surprisingly close to The Beatles and ”I wanna hold your hand”. All songs are stand outs. Maybe not Kissin’ time (not included originally) and Firehouse. 
  • DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    I've always loved that first album. Great songs. Minus kissing time. 

Not sure if you've ever checked out the demos from this album. I actually prefer many of them to whats on the album. A 5 minute long version of strutter. Great stuff. 

https://youtu.be/PcDTWd7HJ7E
    I've always loved that first album. Great songs. Minus kissing time. 

Not sure if you've ever checked out the demos from this album. I actually prefer many of them to whats on the album. A 5 minute long version of strutter. Great stuff. 

https://youtu.be/PcDTWd7HJ7E
    Yes. There are some cool stuff in the demos!

Hotter than Hell (1974). This might be the strongest KISS album. It sure is one of, If not, the heaviest sounding. Parasite and Strange ways especially. Love their sound. Goin’ Blind is one of Genes many... creepy songs. But its just a small blemish.

• Hotter than Hell (1974). This might be the strongest KISS album. It sure is one of, If not, the heaviest sounding. Parasite and Strange ways especially. Love their sound. Goin’ Blind is one of Genes many... creepy songs. But its just a small blemish.
    The Melvins do an awesome cover of Goin' Blind.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Hotter than Hell (1974). This might be the strongest KISS album. It sure is one of, If not, the heaviest sounding. Parasite and Strange ways especially. Love their sound. Goin’ Blind is one of Genes many... creepy songs. But its just a small blemish.
    The Melvins do an awesome cover of Goin' Blind.
    I favor the MTV Unplugged version, where Gene changes back to the original lyric.

Dressed to Kill (1975). Its getting a bit repetitive. Dressed to Kill sounds like a left-over-album. Room Service which starts the album is proof of that. But it picks up in the second half - with C’mon and Love Me being one of the stand outs. Growing up listening to The Doors I can’t get over Ace’s ripped solo on She. Pearl Jam atleast slowed it down.

• Dressed to Kill (1975). Its getting a bit repetitive. Dressed to Kill sounds like a left-over-album. Room Service which starts the album is proof of that. But it picks up in the second half - with C’mon and Love Me being one of the stand outs. Growing up listening to The Doors I can’t get over Ace’s ripped solo on She. Pearl Jam atleast slowed it down.

Anything For My Baby features some great vocal work by Paul. It's my personal favourite from this album.

Dressed to Kill (1975). Its getting a bit repetitive. Dressed to Kill sounds like a left-over-album. Room Service which starts the album is proof of that. But it picks up in the second half - with C’mon and Love Me being one of the stand outs. Growing up listening to The Doors I can’t get over Ace’s ripped solo on She. Pearl Jam atleast slowed it down.

Anything For My Baby features some great vocal work by Paul. It's my personal favourite from this album.
    Yeah, its nice. I'd say C'mon and Love Me is my favorite though. Love Her All I Can is nice too.

Alive! (1975). KISS breakout album. And one of the most iconic live albums in history. One of the most doctored and overdubbed(?). If someone would give it five stars I wouldn’t mind. I might even agree. A nifty ”best of” album covering the three first album.

Destroyer (1976). Most iconic album and album cover of KISS career. The added production with choirs and theatrics works. In theory atleast. It’s an okey album but far from being top tier. I feel the songs lack energy (overproduced?). Sweet pain is maybe the best one. Beth is such a pointless inclusion. 

• Destroyer (1976). Most iconic album and album cover of KISS career. The added production with choirs and theatrics works. In theory atleast. It’s an okey album but far from being top tier. I feel the songs lack energy (overproduced?). Sweet pain is maybe the best one. Beth is such a pointless inclusion. 
    Kiss
    destroys 
    four 
    you

Is there truth to this? Interpreted in the depiction?

Destroyer (1976). Most iconic album and album cover of KISS career. The added production with choirs and theatrics works. In theory atleast. It’s an okey album but far from being top tier. I feel the songs lack energy (overproduced?). Sweet pain is maybe the best one. Beth is such a pointless inclusion. 
    Kiss
    destroys 
    four 
    you

Don't understand your post. ?

Rock and Roll Over (1976). The most one-note album of the most one-note band in history's discography. An endless string of songs about the only thing Paul and Gene have on their mind - sex. And here they even have a hard time being creative about it. But it’s still rocking. I Want You, Take Me and Hard Luck Woman are standouts.

• Destroyer (1976). Most iconic album and album cover of KISS career. The added production with choirs and theatrics works. In theory atleast. It’s an okey album but far from being top tier. I feel the songs lack energy (overproduced?). Sweet pain is maybe the best one. Beth is such a pointless inclusion. 
    Kiss
    destroys 
    four 
    you

The cover of Destroyer... when you scan from Paul on the left to Gene on the right... there was a subtle and 'hidden' message explained to me a long time ago that might have been intentional or merely coincidence:

Paul is puckering up: Kiss
    Peter has his hands balled into fists: Destroys
    Ace has his right hand holding four fingers up: For
    Ace has his left hand pointing at the viewer: You

• Rock and Roll Over (1976). The most one-note album of the most one-note band in history's discography. An endless string of songs about the only thing Paul and Gene have on their mind - sex. And here they even have a hard time being creative about it. But it’s still rocking. I Want You, Take Me and Hard Luck Woman are standouts.

Calling Dr Love is pretty freaking awesome!

Kiss
    destroys 
    four 
    you

The cover of Destroyer... when you scan from Paul on the left to Gene on the right... there was a subtle and 'hidden' message explained to me a long time ago that might have been intentional or merely coincidence:

Paul is puckering up: Kiss
    Peter has his hands balled into fists: Destroys
    Ace has his right hand holding four fingers up: For
    Ace has his left hand pointing at the viewer: You
    The artist doesn't come off as that smart... haha. But who knows.

Rock and Roll Over (1976). The most one-note album of the most one-note band in history's discography. An endless string of songs about the only thing Paul and Gene have on their mind - sex. And here they even have a hard time being creative about it. But it’s still rocking. I Want You, Take Me and Hard Luck Woman are standouts.

Not a fan.

BUT FUCK. LISTENING TO AN INTERVIEW WITH AXL ROSE BY EDDIE TRUNK FROM 2006 AND AXL JUST SAID "DR LOVE WAS ALWAYS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS"

Fuck. What a coincidence. 

• Rock and Roll Over (1976). The most one-note album of the most one-note band in history's discography. An endless string of songs about the only thing Paul and Gene have on their mind - sex. And here they even have a hard time being creative about it. But it’s still rocking. I Want You, Take Me and Hard Luck Woman are standouts.

Not a fan.

BUT FUCK. LISTENING TO AN INTERVIEW WITH AXL ROSE BY EDDIE TRUNK FROM 2006 AND AXL JUST SAID "DR LOVE WAS ALWAYS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS"

I used to drive a really shitty '77 Chrysler Cordoba (about 30 years ago). It had a t-roof and an 8-track. It puked out so much exhaust that I'd drive faster than anyone just so nobody could see who was driving the hunk of shit.

One day I was driving up the highway and I placed Kiss Double Platinum in the 8-track. When I put it in, the tape shifted programs and Dr Love was the first song up after the switch. On Double Platinum, Dr Love has a long, kinda quiet intro. Hearing nothing and thinking maybe something was wrong with the tape, I turned the volume dial up... and up... trying to figure out if the tape had been eaten.

Dr. Love's intro climaxed when the volume was at top level and the song blasted away- I nearly crapped my pants thinking a jet fighter had buzzed me. After discovering I was safe... I realized the song sounded awesome at levels capable of inducing hearing loss. 

Not a fan.

I used to drive a really shitty '77 Chrysler Cordoba (about 30 years ago). It had a t-roof and an 8-track. It puked out so much exhaust that I'd drive faster than anyone just so nobody could see who was driving the hunk of shit.

One day I was driving up the highway and I placed Kiss Double Platinum in the 8-track. When I put it in, the tape shifted programs and Dr Love was the first song up after the switch. On Double Platinum, Dr Love has a long, kinda quiet intro. Hearing nothing and thinking maybe something was wrong with the tape, I turned the volume dial up... and up... trying to figure out if the tape had been eaten.

Dr. Love's intro climaxed when the volume was at top level and the song blasted away- I nearly crapped my pants thinking a jet fighter had buzzed me. After discovering I was safe... I realized the song sounded awesome at levels capable of inducing hearing loss. 
    Haha. cool!