Options

Stop with the anti-Trump crusade, it's boring!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    I jokingly said to my brother, as we slowly left the 02 last Monday, that I am glad Ed had 4 little Trump digs or I'd have wanted my money back. Before mentioning the setlist, stage show, whatever...
    So I disagree with this one also.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,355
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Like the NFL and most of Hollywood Eddie thinks he is elightened and using his platform for good . But most sane people view them as entertainers and pay them well for thier product not thier political opinions .
    Wow

The reason is they are very wealthy entertainers that don't live in the same world as the rest of the country. They live in a catered to world. They aren't experiencing the same issues the everyday average person is experiencing therefore most people aren't listening or just get pissed off about it. It's the don't tell me how to think when you're not walking in my shoes. 
    They do however have the right to voice their viewpoint. Just keep in mind they might be harming their cause more than helping. 
    The person that hasn't had to deal with the same issues of the average everyday person is Donald Trump.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    If musicians aren't sticking it to the man, then why bother?
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    Lost the crowd for about a half hour in Padova after EV's latest outburst although got it back to complete an outstanding show.

It needs to stop, it's boring & they need to show some respect to those who don't share their views.

Anyway, onwards to Rome we go.....
    fck that...keep calling BS when you see it EV
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    And I hope the band continues to speak out against the Trump administration. I’ll cheer loudly at the shows I’m attending. 
    Bravo!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,441
    PJINFLA said:
    It would be nice if Pearl Jam would use their collective energy to create a full record of new music that might actually make the band relevant again.  Instead they use the easy target of politics to get internet headlines. Sorry your team lost guys get over it and be part of the solution not the problem. If Ed wants to be politician then go for it, talk is cheap.
    I dont understand why people keep saying, "your side lost, get over it"....

It literally has nothing to do about who won or lost. It has to do with whats going on right now. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Believe me....i'm no fan of Hillary Clinton.   Not at all.  And I COMPLETELY understand why people would want to say, "Fuck it, lets see what Trump can do".   I REALLY Get that....but at this point...Trump has shown his true colors.   I understand if you supported Trump before, and wanted to see something different.  But after doing all the things he has done....I dont understand how anyone wants him to remain as president.   
    I've heard this argument a lot, but I don't understand how anyone could've watched Trump from the moment he declared in July 2015, through election day, and say that they are now surprised at what they see.

If this is what you (edit: I mean "you" in the general sense here, not specifically referring to Vedd Head) want and what you voted for, then fine, more power to you. But if you believed the narrative that he would be "a breath of fresh air" and that he would "pivot" once he won, then you just weren't paying attention.
    I agree that the writing was on the wall for Trump. He didnt really hide his intentions.   That said....Im guessing that some trump voters were just like, "ah the media makes things up, he cant be that bad."   Yes, yes he is that bad.  Actually he is worse. 

Again, it was probably some people that didnt pay much attention to debates, real news, etc.  "Oh, lets run it like a business!'.   

But I understand and agree with your point.  People SHOULD have been informed, and we tried to warn them. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    RP112579 said:
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Like the NFL and most of Hollywood Eddie thinks he is elightened and using his platform for good . But most sane people view them as entertainers and pay them well for thier product not thier political opinions .
    Wow

The reason is they are very wealthy entertainers that don't live in the same world as the rest of the country. They live in a catered to world. They aren't experiencing the same issues the everyday average person is experiencing therefore most people aren't listening or just get pissed off about it. It's the don't tell me how to think when you're not walking in my shoes. 
    They do however have the right to voice their viewpoint. Just keep in mind they might be harming their cause more than helping. 
    The person that hasn't had to deal with the same issues of the average everyday person is Donald Trump.
    We the people have to vote in the people that we think will most closely match our viewpoint. Get out and vote. 
  • Options
    kb272930kb272930 Posts: 62
    RP112579 said:
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Wow

Tell me what President got there by being an average everyday person  . And can anyone tell me what has Trump done or not done thats so terrible ?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    kb272930 said:
    RP112579 said:
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Wow

Tell me what President got there by being an average everyday person  . And can anyone tell me what has Trump done or not done thats so terrible ?
    Why, yes, we all could, but if you don’t know already you either have not followed any news or you have an opinion you aren’t going to change, so I don’t think I’ll waste my time on this. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Actually, quicker to just say go to AMT and do some reading. 
  • Options
    kb272930 said:
    RP112579 said:
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Wow

Really?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2018
    I think they need to keep doing it, and that it's pretty much irrelevant if some people in the crowd don't like it because they don't care about it (or, much worse, support it) - when you have an opportunity to speak out against grave injustices, it's your responsibility to do so, and in a way that gets the most exposure. IMO.
    However, I think the band seems a little more scared to do this during American tours... And that is disappointing to me. That is where they should be digging in and really going for it, but they seem scared of any strong backlash (as opposed to minor indifference from some in Europe), and that is a real contradiction to what they (and Eddie in particular) profess to believe in.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,229
    kb272930 said:
    RP112579 said:
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Wow

Have you read anything on any news site or listened to any story on NPR in the last two years??
    Let's see: pathological lying, about matters big and small; disregard for ethics, due process, protocol, norms, and common decency; ignorance of and disregard for the Constitution; laziness; bullying; general ignorance of domestic and international matters that affect our country, and no indication that he has any desire to actually get up to speed on any of them; poor moral character as indicated by all of the above plus chronic infidelity and philandering; racism (let's go back to the Central Park jogger case, his full-page ad calling for harsh punishment of the accused, and his persistent refusal to accept either the scientific evidence that exonerated those young men OR the confession of another person); misogyny; immaturity; a pathological aversion to taking responsibility for anything.

The problems with Agent Orange always have transcended politics and policy. He is, in every conceivable way, unfit to hold the office of President of the United States. He is damaging the entire country, but in the long run I suspect his base will be hurt most by his "policies," such as they are. 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they need to keep doing it, and that it's pretty much irrelevant if some people in the crowd don't like it because they don't care about it (or, much worse, support it) - when you have an opportunity to speak out against grave injustices, it's your responsibility to do so, and in a way that gets the most exposure. IMO.
    However, I think the band seems a little more scared to do this during American tours... And that is disappointing to me. That is where they should be digging in and really going for it, but they seem scared of any strong backlash (as opposed to minor indifference from some in Europe), and that is a real contradiction to what they (and Eddie in particular) profess to believe in.

Canada ? lol , When did Pearl Jam become Rage Against the Machine -2? . I think I'm done ! time to sell my posters and Benny . I really don't have a Benny and wouldn't sell it if I did .

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    kb272930 said:
    RP112579 said:
    eddiec said:
    kb272930 said:
    Wow

1. Obama.

2. Everything he has done and said
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJINFLA said:
    It would be nice if Pearl Jam would use their collective energy to create a full record of new music that might actually make the band relevant again.  Instead they use the easy target of politics to get internet headlines. Sorry your team lost guys get over it and be part of the solution not the problem. If Ed wants to be politician then go for it, talk is cheap.

Is that the 2A solution that tRump suggested?

Or the type of solution that puts refugee children & asylum seekers in concentration camps?

Here's my proposed solution :

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    kb272930 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada ? lol , When did Pearl Jam become Rage Against the Machine -2? . I think I'm done ! time to sell my posters and Benny . I really don't have a Benny and wouldn't sell it if I did .

Another hallmark of a Trump fan - opinions of others don’t count. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    on2legs said:
    PJINFLA said:
    The band has been outspoken their entire career.  They didn't just cook this up as a publicity stunt because they can't sell 10 million records anymore.

And by the way... my "team" is America so I guess on that we can agree  - America definitely lost with Trump becoming president.
    Excellent response, especially on the whole "your team lost" part. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    kb272930 said:

Are you forgetting that tRump's claim to fame is a shiatty reality show and he actually owned a football league?  

Maybe tRump should have been the one to stay in his lane.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    kb272930 said:
    They use the platform because they do have a louder voice, they do have more exposure.  They speak on behalf of the lesser folks like you and I who aren't heard, who are ignored, and who are chastised.  They have the opportunity to be a voice, why not use it.  If I post something on twitter, 50 people might see it.  If I rant in a town hall, 100 people might hear it.  What gets done? Nothing but "Oh just ignore that guy, he's not important."  This is why celebrities use their platform.
    I'm sure you have no problem when Ted Nugent when he goes off on one of his "shoot first, ask questions later" rants.
  • Options
    Another hallmark of a Trump fan - opinions of others don’t count. 

kb272930 said:
    They use the platform because they do have a louder voice, they do have more exposure.  They speak on behalf of the lesser folks like you and I who aren't heard, who are ignored, and who are chastised.  They have the opportunity to be a voice, why not use it.  If I post something on twitter, 50 people might see it.  If I rant in a town hall, 100 people might hear it.  What gets done? Nothing but "Oh just ignore that guy, he's not important."  This is why celebrities use their platform.
    I'm sure you have no problem when Ted Nugent when he goes off on one of his "shoot first, ask questions later" rants.

Yeah man you have me pegged , listening to Nugent wearing my Trump hat posting on a Pearl Jam message board .

And if you're from Canada unless you want to talk about  Hockey Curling or The Hip - mind your business . lol joking

• Options
    jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
    edited June 2018
    If musicians aren't sticking it to the man, then why bother?
    Exactly!   I want my rock music good and pissed off.  Always have.  Otherwise we are listening to boring ass pop songs masked as rock songs.

Trump ran and was elected on throwing red meat out for consumption...shit he probably doesn't even think or believe.  Then he has the gall to call foul on that shit after he is elected?  He's a pussy at best and wanna be racist fascist at worst.  He's a joke of a human and hopefully the worst president I will ever see in my lifetime.

And everyone doubling down on this guy because they are too cowardly to admit they should have never voted for hime...come the fuck on, man!

I don't really care though... 

As for the band?  They can say and do whatever the fuck they want.  I'm sure they are not concerned about delicate ears in the audience.
    Post edited by jcmitchell28 on
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Like others have said if your offended by Ed/PJ talking politics you should really find another group to follow and go see. This is nothing new for them and i don't expect and really hope they don't every stop speaking out against establishments/governments!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    Someone more diligent than myself should be able to find the clip of Eddie from VH1 Storytellers explaining exactly what he thinks about your need for a right wing safe space at their shows.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

Like others have said if your offended by Ed/PJ talking politics you should really find another group to follow and go see. This is nothing new for them and i don't expect and really hope they don't every stop speaking out against establishments/governments!
    The Hive speaks will do .
    JimmyV said:
    Someone more diligent than myself should be able to find the clip of Eddie from VH1 Storytellers explaining exactly what he thinks about your need for a right wing safe space at their shows.
    Ok snowflake, fuck off  .
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    edited June 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
This discussion has been closed.