Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Pull-up challenge month is officially over.
    Original goal: 1,000 total and a set of 20 consecutive chin-ups, plus 10 consecutive truly strict form pull-ups. (Pull-ups are palms out and chin-ups are palms toward you, but I counted all grips as pull-ups for the total.)

Final Tally: 2,125 pull-ups, a much coveted set today of 25 consecutive chin-ups, and 12 strict form pull-ups.  Fuck.  Yeah.  Challenge met.

I finished May early so that earned the right to start on June today.  
    Goal: 5,000 lateral raises per side and 6 total shoulder workouts.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    rgambs said:
    Original goal: 1,000 total and a set of 20 consecutive chin-ups, plus 10 consecutive truly strict form pull-ups. (Pull-ups are palms out and chin-ups are palms toward you, but I counted all grips as pull-ups for the total.)

Final Tally: 2,125 pull-ups, a much coveted set today of 25 consecutive chin-ups, and 12 strict form pull-ups.  Fuck.  Yeah.  Challenge met.

Congrats.  You're gonna bulk up like Ferigno.

Purple pants and green makeup for u this Halloween!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:

Well done! Impressive work. 

Meanwhile, I continue to have no fitness goals other than to climb as much as I can and have a great time doing it :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I wish I could climb!  No gyms and no crags within an hour drive.
    rgambs said:
    Bummer. 

Honestly, I have no idea how I would have gotten through the last two years without climbing. 
    rgambs said:
    Bummer. 

Honestly, I have no idea how I would have gotten through the last two years without climbing. 
    You find ways to climb metaphorically.  You set goals that have to be tackled one move at a time and you make sure there's a crux that will take several attempts to master.
    But actually climbing is much more fun lol
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Nice job gambs!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    rgambs said:

Wow. Good job!

And damn, that's a lot of lateral raises. Are you not a little worried that your front or rear delt will be lagging in development? I would be concerned primarily for the rear delt as a lot of chest work recruits the front delt.I

As for me, I've kept on with my normal lifting schedule, but I've lost my motivation. Just seem to be going through the motions lately. Tried switching up exercises, but still blah.
    rgambs said:

Wow. Good job!

And damn, that's a lot of lateral raises. Are you not a little worried that your front or rear delt will be lagging in development? I would be concerned primarily for the rear delt as a lot of chest work recruits the front delt.I

As for me, I've kept on with my normal lifting schedule, but I've lost my motivation. Just seem to be going through the motions lately. Tried switching up exercises, but still blah.
    Do the pull-up challenge lol

I don't bench heavy, I weigh 175 and I usually bench my way up to 210 for 2 sets of 4.  So my front delts aren't as overdeveloped as many people, so the balance is not terrible.
    The lateral raises will include bent-over for rear delts and I will include dropsets on the fly machine as part of the total shoulder day.
    The goal is to bring the medial delts out nice and wide this month and get that nice sloping cut that looks so good.
    I'm 2.5 lbs from my 50lb weight loss goal, so that's good.
    I'm picking up my good friend from Brazil at the airport tomorrow morning and all hope of diet diligence flies out the window at that point, so that's bad. 
    I either need to cut 2.5 lbs between now (and I already haven't ingested anything but water today) and tomorrow at 10am, or I will have to wait until July sometime to hit that milestone.
     I don't know what to do.  If I skip eating entirely for the day I think I will make it, but even a very light dinner is going to make that pretty iffy.  And I'm hungry. 
    Is it really that important to see 170.0 on the scale?
    Yes.
    And no.
    Who knows lol

I've been chasing that milestone for 3 years, I've been within 4 lbs 3 times...  It's become a thing.  I think I'm all in.  
    rgambs said:
    I'm 2.5 lbs from my 50lb weight loss goal, so that's good.
    I'm picking up my good friend from Brazil at the airport tomorrow morning and all hope of diet diligence flies out the window at that point, so that's bad. 
    I either need to cut 2.5 lbs between now (and I already haven't ingested anything but water today) and tomorrow at 10am, or I will have to wait until July sometime to hit that milestone.
     I don't know what to do.  If I skip eating entirely for the day I think I will make it, but even a very light dinner is going to make that pretty iffy.  And I'm hungry. 
    Is it really that important to see 170.0 on the scale?
    Yes.
    And no.
    Who knows lol

I've been chasing that milestone for 3 years, I've been within 4 lbs 3 times...  It's become a thing.  I think I'm all in.  
    If I had a vote, which of course I don’t, I would say that 170 is just a meaningless number on a scale. It’s your health that’s important. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Speaking as a woman who used to be obsessed with the number on the scale... I don't think it means much.
    Well, it does up to a point. But BMI isn't everything.
    I lost five pounds in two years -- and almost two dress sizes. I look very different, but if we went by what the scale says, one could argue that I haven't made any progress at all.
    Anyway. I'm feeling a bit puffy, myself. We celebrated National Donut Day on Friday (!), and with my youngest home there is always bread in the house. I love bread, but I 'm much better off without it.
    Lifting heavy (for me) right now, my trainer had me deadlifting more than my body weight the other day (again, female, of a certain age), and today I got to experience the joy of doing pushups with a 25lb. plate on my back. Then I came home and took a nap. :s

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    It's not the number itself, it's the concrete goal that is either obtained or not.
    I'm already super happy with what I've done to my life, I'm in even better shape than when I wrestled in high school (all-around, my short burst cardio was insane then) and I feel great.
    I do feel like I have to keep challenging myself though, and I enjoy it.  I spent the entire last half of last year working out hard but going nowhere, and this year I've really turned a corner, with concrete numbers based goals as the reason.  

I did eat dinner after a 20 hour fast.  I will try hard to make it by the end of my workout in the morning.  If I don't, hopefully I can withstand the pressure and hold the Bachanalia off for a few days to get there before cutting loose on the beer and munchies with my main man.
    If not, oh well.  I still did 5000 push-ups in a month, I did 2100 pull-ups in a month, 25 straight, and I'm now doing 25lb weighted pullups in sets of 7, soon 10.
    All my pants are loose at the waist and tight on the thighs and ass and veins are beginning to show in several places.

I hope you all don't get too sick of my posts here, I need some outlet cuz my wife doesn't want to hear about it at all lol

Let the Bacchanalia commence!!!
    Going to channel my inner HedonismBot for the next fortnight forthwith.
    edited June 2018
    Happy Global Running Day!
    I lifted heavy again today, so now I can say that I'm squatting and deadlifting more than I weigh. I'd had to dial those exercises back a bit for a few months thanks to a nagging groin injury (exacerbated by my stupid cat). It's nothing compared to the massive dudes at the gym, but I'm neither massive nor a dude, so I'll be happy with my progress as it is. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I lifted heavy again today, so now I can say that I'm squatting and deadlifting more than I weigh. I'd had to dial those exercises back a bit for a few months thanks to a nagging groin injury (exacerbated by my stupid cat). It's nothing compared to the massive dudes at the gym, but I'm neither massive nor a dude, so I'll be happy with my progress as it is. :-)
    Massive isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Great work!  Impressive.  Keep it up!
    edited June 2018
    Your cat?

Yet another reason to be happy I don’t own a cat =)

And well done!

s
    Your cat?

And well done!

Yes, my cat. Household animals are a common cause of injuries (falls, tripping). My groin was 95% healed when, one night, I stepped back onto The World's Worst Cat, who had parked his miserable ass right behind me. He yowled, I jumped, and re-injured myself I lost 4-6 weeks thanks to the damn cat. :angry: 

@rgambs I work out at a gym that's bodybuilding central, so massive dudes are everywhere. Last week, I was being all dramatic and whiny because my trainer wanted me to squat 125# -- then I looked at the rack next to me, where a guy was squatting 505#, and I decided to shut up and lift. :blush:
    s
    Your cat?

And well done!

Yes, my cat. Household animals are a common cause of injuries (falls, tripping). My groin was 95% healed when, one night, I stepped back onto The World's Worst Cat, who had parked his miserable ass right behind me. He yowled, I jumped, and re-injured myself I lost 4-6 weeks thanks to the damn cat. :angry: 

@rgambs I work out at a gym that's bodybuilding central, so massive dudes are everywhere. Last week, I was being all dramatic and whiny because my trainer wanted me to squat 125# -- then I looked at the rack next to me, where a guy was squatting 505#, and I decided to shut up and lift. :blush:

They just define "underfoot", don't they?
    s
    Your cat?

And well done!

Better bodybuilders than powerlifters lol
    rgambs said:

Better bodybuilders than powerlifters lol

Oh, they're there, too. I've seen guys deadlifting near record weights. It's insane.
    Benched 80 pounds (3*12) today! Woot! (remember, I'm female)
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Great job, curmudgeoness! If you did a 3x12, I bet you could get 115.

Been a while since I checked in. Starting to get my mojo back. Hit a pr today doing sumo deadlifts. Pulled 275! I can now lift more than I weigh lol. My hammies are gonna be burning tomorrow.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm comfortable with the schedule of my new job to get back to exercising. The past two days I walked three miles each day on the treadmill. I used audio books to combat the boredom, and it worked. Once I get up to six miles walking I'll focus on running. My goal is to run six miles non-stop. Last time I did that was 2007.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm comfortable with the schedule of my new job to get back to exercising. The past two days I walked three miles each day on the treadmill. I used audio books to combat the boredom, and it worked. Once I get up to six miles walking I'll focus on running. My goal is to run six miles non-stop. Last time I did that was 2007.
    Great start!
    Yesterday I cycled 50k in the early afternoon. It felt pretty good and I enjoyed the whole ride, but it must be said that that’s not the smartest time for a long ride in the summer. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Here is my fitness plan....

https://youtu.be/M442pizXTAQ
    I walked over 32,000 steps around Prague yesterday. That’s gotta count for something ;)
    Prague!!!???  I'm jelly.

I am doing well, I gained 10lbs on my two-week binge and I'm shedding it back off easily.  The time out of the gym did me some good, I'm having some killer workouts. 
    I don't look nearly as fit as I am, there are some great looking dudes in the gym who can't haul 10 normal pull-ups and I'm hauling 10 with 25 added lbs.  Same goes for everything else. 
    Oh well.  I like cake.
    rgambs said:
    Prague!!!???  I'm jelly.

I am doing well, I gained 10lbs on my two-week binge and I'm shedding it back off easily.  The time out of the gym did me some good, I'm having some killer workouts. 
    I don't look nearly as fit as I am, there are some great looking dudes in the gym who can't haul 10 normal pull-ups and I'm hauling 10 with 25 added lbs.  Same goes for everything else. 
    Oh well.  I like cake.
    I like cake as well ;)

Prsgue show was amazing. And I added 4,000 “steps” to my step counter by jumping up and down at the show, too! :lol: