Python eats woman in Indonesia

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I'll pass on this place as a vacation spot.  I am no fan of snakes.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Holy crap. There's not even any snakes in the country I'm in, so I couldn't imagine even seeing one, let alone being bloody eaten by one! So sad.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Thank god Swedens biggest snakes are 60-100cm and pretty rare to sumble upon.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2018
    I'll pass on this place as a vacation spot.  I am no fan of snakes.  
    Yeah, same here.  That said, I have a friend who is from Bali.  She and her husband lived there off and on for years.  I have another friend who went to Bali with her daughter recently and just loved it. 

I guess it's like any place- there are dangers.  Some people have said they don't want to get near California for fear of earthquakes.  Outside of moving away for a few years a couple of times, I've been here all my life and have never been even the slightest bit worried about earthquakes, even during the years I lived in San Francisco. The only exception was any time I had to cross the old Bay Bridge.  This picture always came into my mind:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    edited June 2018
    only snakes i've seen near me are garter snakes

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    only snakes i've seen near me are garter snakes

Same here.  That and a few very small racers.  Supposedly rattlesnakes are common here in the foothills but I've never seen one here. The ones I have seen have mostly been in Sonoma County.   I almost walked into a sidewinder near Joshua Trees once.  That was exciting!

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I was weed eating around a fire pit out in my back 40 a few years ago. Was NOT expecting to come within inches of hitting a black snake that was curled against it. 

I yelled and dropped the weed eater and took several steps back. It took off and was between 3-4 feet in length. Turns out, it was a "rat" snake. Harmless to humans and feeds on field mice and chipmunks mostly. Makes sense as I live between 2 fields. 

Moral of the story: I don't like snakes and they scare me. Heebie jeebies!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    You shoud watch the video of the villagers cutting her dead body from the snake. Amazing.
    It happens more than you would think over there
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Brazil's 'Snake Island' Is The Place Of Nightmares, We're Pretty Sure

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/brazil-snake-island-viper-venom_n_5552149

Vacation anyone?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Ya the one snake's venom that can melt human skin looks like a beauty 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

Vacation anyone?
    Sure, for my ex-wife! Oooohhhhhhh
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

Vacation anyone?
    Sure, for my ex-wife! Oooohhhhhhh
    lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I stumbled across a fer de lance in Costa Rica about 25 years ago. It was coiled up, head down, on the base of a tree (head about a foot off the ground looking down). An ugly ugly snake.

My stupid friend and I had failed to navigate our way through the jungle in Cahuita to get to this remote beach (the path was marked by ribbons on trees). We were running back stooped over (trying to avoid the massive spiders and their webs which stretched between trees about 6 feet in the air- perfect forehead height)... when I stopped to laugh at our idiocy.

Where I stopped the snake was. We had seen several snakes there, but this one was the nastiest I had seen. I called Daniel over and he got excited. He tossed a couple little sticks at the snake to try and make it move I guess? We were about 10 feet from it. The third or fourth stick landed directly under the snake and it lunged out at it- mouth agape... ready to bite it. It recognized it was a stick and receded back to its coiled position.

It was hunting- suspended at the base of the tree like it was. It was waiting for a rodent to run underneath it and it was going to kill it and eat it.

When we got back to a soda, we told some locals what we had seen. They freaked out. They told us we were idiots for taunting the snake and that it was deadly lethal. Half buzzed, I didn't think too much of it. When I got home, I researched the snake a bit more: extremely toxic and deadly. With our Air Deshutz sandals and board shorts, we were very fortunate the snake never lunged at one of us.

Look at pictures of a fer de lance bite if you have the stomach for it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"