Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    It's always someone's first ever Pearl Jam show.  Can you imagine a show in which you didnt get to hear at least ONE of the following:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2007/wembley-arena-london-england-43d6a7df.html

Show would make for an excellent vault release 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    Give me YL over RITFW or Fucking Up every god damn day of the week.  Indifference with the lights up is pretty cool as well. Baba is fine too.  Pretty much anything but RITFW.  
    I always thought release would be one heck of a closer.
    It's definitely worth a try...and it does close one of the greatest albums of all time!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    - I don't mind if their sets eventually get shorter. My only request would be to start taking out openers again in that case. For my taste, they have a pretty good track record there. More often than not I've been genuinely excited to see the first band (MMJ, Band of Horses, Sparta, Sleater-Kinney, Sonic Youth, etc.).

- The hits are hits and need to be played. It's what makes for such great energy with a crowd of 15-20k. B-sides and rarities are nice to have sprinkled in, but they can't carry a set.

- Yellow Ledbetter rules
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I think you need to not worry about it & enjoy the show(s) if you’re going. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    It's always someone's first ever Pearl Jam show.  Can you imagine a show in which you didnt get to hear at least ONE of the following:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2007/wembley-arena-london-england-43d6a7df.html

The power of having the entire floor be tenclub.

Copenhagen 2007 was better though. If there is such a thing as "better".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :

WEmbley 2007 was an amazing show........Vault release would be just incredible. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pdalowsky said:
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :

Any clue when the next vault release will be?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :

Any clue when the next vault release will be?
    If history is any indicator, it should be within a month. Perhaps July 10th will be when we know what it will be?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    "Better Man" has turned into an absolute motherfucker-of-a-show-stopper. It should be played every single night.
    I used to whine about The Tragically Hip not rotating songs often enough. I would give my remaining kidney to hear the most rote Tragically Hip setlist; one day I'll be saying the same thing about Pearl Jam and wishing I hadn't spent so much time complaining about setlists that are way more varied than pretty much any other band's.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    edited June 2018
    NWOntario said:
    "Better Man" has turned into an absolute motherfucker-of-a-show-stopper. It should be played every single night.
    I used to whine about The Tragically Hip not rotating songs often enough. I would give my remaining kidney to hear the most rote Tragically Hip setlist; one day I'll be saying the same thing about Pearl Jam and wishing I hadn't spent so much time complaining about setlists that are way more varied than pretty much any other band's.
    I've got a problem with Better Man being some kind of joyful anthem that even Eddie for some reason pretends is about acutal good men, when in fact the lyrics are very explicitly about domestic abuse, and no matter how you spin, you can't make those lyrics mean anything other than that. That's why I don't like it anymore. Not so much because I'm bugged that a song about an important social issue has been twisted into some happy go lucky sing-a-long, although I don't like that, but because it just doesn't really make any damn sense now.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    I've got a problem with Better Man being some kind of joyful anthem that even Eddie for some reason pretends is about acutal good men, when in fact the lyrics are very explicitly about domestic abuse, and no matter how you spin, you can't make those lyrics mean anything other than that. That's why I don't like it anymore. Not so much because I'm bugged that a song about an important social issue has been twisted into some happy go lucky sing-a-long, although I don't like that, but because it just doesn't really make any damn sense now.
    I think sometimes a song can evolve in meaning, can take on a life of its own, especially when you see how the crowd reacts to it. I mean, Alive is a fucking dark song, but it's turned into a triumphant anthem of sorts. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    I think sometimes a song can evolve in meaning, can take on a life of its own, especially when you see how the crowd reacts to it. I mean, Alive is a fucking dark song, but it's turned into a triumphant anthem of sorts. 
    But that must at the core of it be... because people are stupid or don't read lyrics... and then it snowballs from there. 

So did Alive turn into an "anthem" or was it always looked upon as one, by people watching MTV and listening to hits on the radio.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    Not even of sorts: it's a triumphant anthem full stop. "Alive" has turned into an "eff you" towards the mother, and I think it works...I mean, given how that chorus sounds it's kind of how the song had to evolve, y'know?
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :

Agree. But both were great shows. The written setlist for Copenhagen was even better, they planned to end the show with Release and Indifference:

http://pearljamsetlists.tumblr.com/post/52803913799/2007-06-26-copenhagen-denmark-forum

Also dropped I'm Open / Come Back. I guess it was so emotional already that they couldn't get through it all.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    But that must at the core of it be... because people are stupid or don't read lyrics... and then it snowballs from there. 

So did Alive turn into an "anthem" or was it always looked upon as one, by people watching MTV and listening to hits on the radio.
    I think it always was (to the listener). even though I knew all the lyrics, it never really dawned on me as to the real meaning. it was just that chorus that grabbed people and it sounded like an uplifting message. 

take the Police's Every Breath You Take. I was just discussing this song with my daughter's guitar teacher two nights ago. everyone knows the lyrics. how many people have actually thought about it deeply? it's no love song, it's a fucking abusive relationship or stalker song. it's creepy as hell. But for 30 years I sung that like it was a love song. And most do. 

I think song dynamics have a lot to do with it. how a word or phrase is sung, regardless of wording, is most likely what drives people to form their opinions on how they perceive it. 

just a while ago, when I bought QOTSA's version of Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road did I realize how fucking sad that song is. before I just really liked the melody of it. But a lot of people are just "groove" people, some people are "lyrics" people, and some are both. 

it's funny how long it takes me to clue in to the meanings of songs, though, being a lyricist myself. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:

this is exactly my issue with it. the song has lost all meaning at this point.

can't find a better song?  sure they can.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited June 2018
    NWOntario said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    Not even of sorts: it's a triumphant anthem full stop. "Alive" has turned into an "eff you" towards the mother, and I think it works...I mean, given how that chorus sounds it's kind of how the song had to evolve, y'know?
    I absolutely hate the "yeah", "yeah", "yeah" fist pump during the end solo of alive.  So cheesy imo. Just let McCready solo and melt my face.
    mcgruff10 said:
    NWOntario said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    I absolutely hate the "yeah", "yeah", "yeah" fist pump during the end solo of alive.  So cheesy imo. Just let McCready solo and melt my face.
    Isn't saying that a solo "melts faces" a bit cheesy too? 

Haha. :P
    mcgruff10 said:
    NWOntario said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    Isn't saying that a solo "melts faces" a bit cheesy too? 

Haha. :P
    touche! lol.  I was just using common terminology lol.  But yeah, just let McCready completely destroy that solo without the "yeah" "yeah".
    mrk2 said:
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :

Agree. But both were great shows. The written setlist for Copenhagen was even better, they planned to end the show with Release and Indifference:

http://pearljamsetlists.tumblr.com/post/52803913799/2007-06-26-copenhagen-denmark-forum

Also dropped I'm Open / Come Back. I guess it was so emotional already that they couldn't get through it all.
    @mcgruff10 There you almost had your show ending with release. Sort of :O

And I've been thinking that Breath was improvised for 11 years, because I remember Eddie talking to all the band members before the song started. But its on the setlist. 

Good to know.
    mrk2 said:
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :

@mcgruff10 There you almost had your show ending with release. Sort of :O

And I've been thinking that Breath was improvised for 11 years, because I remember Eddie talking to all the band members before the song started. But its on the setlist. 

Good to know.
    so close! I wonder if release ever ended a show before.
  • BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    Travel with me in the WayBack machine 15 years ago and share the glory I was lucky enough to witness on back to back nights:
    Cleveland, April 25, 2003
    Cleveland has an epic Daughter with multiple tags, probably 12 minutes long
    RVM in Pittsburgh was the ultimate performance I've ever seen or heard.  Stone ended up kneeling in front of the monitors making unearthly sounds emanate from everywhere.
    For me, the 2003 tour was the last of great live Pearl Jam.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Travel with me in the WayBack machine 15 years ago and share the glory I was lucky enough to witness on back to back nights:
    RVM in Pittsburgh was the ultimate performance I've ever seen or heard.  Stone ended up kneeling in front of the monitors making unearthly sounds emanate from everywhere.

not too shabby there, playa

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    Yeah, but Alive can actually make sense that way with the lyrics. I think that the lyrics to Better Man are simply too specific to the original meaning for this theory to work on it. I don't feel like those lyrics can (or should) be turned into an anthem. And even if the lyrics did lend themselves to that, as I mentioned, it does still also bother me that Better Man's meaning has been twisted like this because the meaning of the song should stay what it is for the sake of all the victims of domestic abuse out there. Sometimes song meanings shouldn't evolve because the original meaning matters, and this is one of those times in my own personal opinion. Since that didn't happen, it makes me hate the song at the shows.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295

Not to nitpick, but Cleveland was 28 songs. Wma and people have the power were tags...but one of my favorite shows out of I think 41...ed fell off the stage during ritfw! Thought he was actually hurt for a second 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wonder if release ever ended a show before.
    Check out the 1992-04-12 show at Limelight to see how it feels like.. there's an excellent audio source around, as well as a couple of complete amateur videos out there.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    NWOntario said:
    Yeah, but Alive can actually make sense that way with the lyrics. I think that the lyrics to Better Man are simply too specific to the original meaning for this theory to work on it. I don't feel like those lyrics can (or should) be turned into an anthem. And even if the lyrics did lend themselves to that, as I mentioned, it does still also bother me that Better Man's meaning has been twisted like this because the meaning of the song should stay what it is for the sake of all the victims of domestic abuse out there. Sometimes song meanings shouldn't evolve because the original meaning matters, and this is one of those times in my own personal opinion. Since that didn't happen, it makes me hate the song at the shows.
    yeah, I agree with that. I guess I didn't really notice that betterman had become that because I just can't stand the song. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited June 2018
    Man they barely played two hours tonight in Italy. Of the 18 songs ed didn’t sing two of them. Yikes
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man they barely played two hours tonight in Italy. Of the 18 songs ed didn’t sing two of them. Yikes
    It was a festival slot. 

If they didn't get the festival to cut back their slot(?), then they filled up the time they had allotted? 

And Eddie should sing even less, if it helps them through the tour. Dare to experiment Id say.
  • pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    27-29 songs is perfect to me. PJ’s second encores in recent tours have become too predictable. 28 songs in Tulsa in 2014 was awesome because they made up for the length by jamming a little more than I’ve seen them in the past. The 3+ hour show in Hampton in 2016 is an exception for me because both encores that night were unique.