Options

Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    on2legs said:
    Impossible to scale back entitlements. Or what is that cliche thing US politicans and panel-people say on CNN.
    If they scale back, I hope they bring back opening bands.
    Is it necessary to work politics into every thread? We get you don’t like the US but can you save that stuff for AMT?
    I think you're misreading my post...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    HesCalledDyer said: LLP
    I’m reading a lot of “get rid of RITFW” in recent posts. I’ll gladly take Rockin’ over that bullshit Yellow Ledbetter any day!

Ledbetter is 100% pure, unadulterated garbage.
    ^^^^^^^^This man gets it.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I’m reading a lot of “get rid of RITFW” in recent posts. I’ll gladly take Rockin’ over that bullshit Yellow Ledbetter any day!

no he doesn't. he's out of his mind. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    You guys are ridiculous. The studio version of YL is amazing and the live extended tags by Mike are awesome. I'd rather hear original PJ than a NY cover song they have adopted.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728

Nope, that's a smart man right there. One more that hasn't drunk the kool aid.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I gotta give Hugh a pass. If I recall correctly, he’s never heard YL at any hows he’s been to. (He doesn’t realize he’s the lucky one!) I think it’s him, anyway. I could be wrong but I know someome here hasn’t.
  • Options

I gotta give Hugh a pass. If I recall correctly, he’s never heard YL at any hows he’s been to. (He doesn’t realize he’s the lucky one!) I think it’s him, anyway. I could be wrong but I know someome here hasn’t.
    correct. 5 shows. no Y Led. The last 2 songs of each show I've been to:

1993: Rockin'/Baba
    2003: Crazy May/Baba
    2005: Fuckin' Up/Rockin' (YLed was on the setlist but not played)
    2011: Rockin'/Indifference (YLed was on the setlist but not played)
    2014: Rockin'/Indifference
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

not sure how it's a kool aid thing. nonsensical lyrics on top of a jimi hendrix inspired guitar lick? what the fuck could be bad about that?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

I want both of them to go away equally, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    PJ_Soul said:

and add "Betterman" to that list. pleeze!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

and add "Betterman" to that list. pleeze!!!
    this one I can get behind. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,932
    Smalltown
    Black
    Jeremy

These 3 can go away for a longgggg time

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,416
    It's always someone's first ever Pearl Jam show.  Can you imagine a show in which you didnt get to hear at least ONE of the following:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow

I mean...at this point, even after almost 50 shows, even I dont want to hear a B-List setlist at a major show.  (Play a 10C only event, im all there for all the Bugs and Stupid Mops, etc.).  But I tend to bring a new person to a show more often than not.  The hits must be played. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    Vedd Hedd said:
    It's always someone's first ever Pearl Jam show.  Can you imagine a show in which you didnt get to hear at least ONE of the following:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow

I mean...at this point, even after almost 50 shows, even I dont want to hear a B-List setlist at a major show.  (Play a 10C only event, im all there for all the Bugs and Stupid Mops, etc.).  But I tend to bring a new person to a show more often than not.  The hits must be played. 
    Fine. Play one of them per show. Rotate throughout the tour
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow

Better Man  and Small Town are still great live.  I don't think they've lost anything with how much they have been played.  Even Flow, Black and Yellow Ledbetter might get a new  kick and feel if they are in new positions in the set list.  Jeremy can probably be put away for a while.  Just my opinion.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow

They can play most of those, just not in a row at the end every show. Play some in the main set
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,023
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2007/wembley-arena-london-england-43d6a7df.html

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    How are you going to have longer shows if you keep asking for "certain" songs in the catalog to be retired?

Yellow Ledbetter has brought me to tears on more than one occasion and I didn't even know why.

Quit yer bitchin'.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    Give me YL over RITFW or Fucking Up every god damn day of the week.  Indifference with the lights up is pretty cool as well. Baba is fine too.  Pretty much anything but RITFW.  
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    Tiki said:
    How are you going to have longer shows if you keep asking for "certain" songs in the catalog to be retired?

Yellow Ledbetter has brought me to tears on more than one occasion and I didn't even know why.

Quit yer bitchin'.
    3 shows still no ylb. Need one in padova!!
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497

PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740

Glad to hear. I would guess they are not forcing this and he is good to go. Great news for the rest of the tour!
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    excellent news
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow

take that list and add alive, dte, gtf, ritfw, rvm, daughter, porch, lightning bolt, corduroy and youre almost at 2/3 the show if youre playing 25-27 songs.  of course you have to play the hits, (and for the record i love most of those songs) but maybe play 5-6 a night and keep rotating them to keep it fresher If they are a 27 song live show band now.  while its always someone's first show, the vast majority of fans have been doing this a long time.  
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    im quite happy for the band to play whatever the fuck they like
  • Options
    DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow

A friend of mine's first Pearl Jam show was Greenville, SC  2016.  They played Betterman, and it was perfect, she loved it.  Didn't quite "get" the whole playing of Vs...
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Give me YL over RITFW or Fucking Up every god damn day of the week.  Indifference with the lights up is pretty cool as well. Baba is fine too.  Pretty much anything but RITFW.  
    I always thought release would be one heck of a closer.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    pdalowsky said:
    im quite happy for the band to play whatever the fuck they like
    Well said
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    mcgruff10 said:
    e v e n f l o w
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    mcgruff10 said:
    e v e n f l o w
    That would be sweet.  Good call.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    mrk2 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Black
    Small Town
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Been there, done that :
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2007/wembley-arena-london-england-43d6a7df.html

Unleash those 2007 shows! My audience recordings don't cut it and those were some great shows. They opened one with Porch. That mini tour had some awesome setlists.
    It's a hopeless situation...