2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    MayDay10 said:
    I just saw this....  IMO this is an amazing idea (with some tweaking in event of allowing an OT game and also in the case of a blowout).  Everyone I know who hates on basketball cites the final minutes and intentional fouls as the reason

"The Elam Ending, as it’s been deemed, would stop the clock at the first whistle with less than three minutes left in an NBA game. However many points the team in the lead has, add seven, and that would be the target score to end the game. So if there’s a foul with 2:55 remaining and the Warriors lead the Cavs 106-101, the rules are simple: The clock vanishes and the first to score 113 wins. The incentive for Cleveland to foul would be far smaller. The advantage for Golden State would fit the lead they carried. It was so inventive, The Basketball Tournament – a 5-on-5 contest with a $2 million prize – used it during play-in games last year."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/10-degrees-mensa-members-idea-can-solve-almost-baseballs-problems-070035170.html

Very interesting idea, not sure will it will ever get legs, but worth seeing how it runs in some more real game experiments. 

You rare right, the final minutes can take 10 x longer than it should do, but this is not my biggest concern with the current game.
    I hate shooting fouls being awarded to players (Harden's best at it), who are coming off a screen or have defender in front of them, said defender touches arm or body, then Offensive player throws up a shot that they had no intention of shooting before the touch. Ref awards shooting foul = CRAP!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Or jumping into a defender who is clearly trying to just put up a hand or coming across the shooters body,  nowhere actually near them.  It's stupid. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited June 2018
    Probably one of the best pieces of commentary I've ever heard was during an early round NBA playoff game this year - can't remember the teams. But one announcer said to the other: "You know what I like about the National Hockey League? The final 2 minutes of a game take about 2 minutes to play."
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Kawhi wants out and maybe to the Lakers?!?

Great job Magic, lol!  He has players that just want to come and play there.

Possibly PG and Lebron too?

If that happens then Showtime will be back.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103

One of the hypothetical trades I saw included Lonzo Ball. Could you imagine Lavar's reaction finding out his son is going to SA? Pops vs Lavar would be hilarious. I don't think Pops would take any of his shit.

One of the hypothetical trades I saw included Lonzo Ball. Could you imagine Lavar's reaction finding out his son is going to SA? Pops vs Lavar would be hilarious. I don't think Pops would take any of his shit.
    HA.  I don't see them trading away their lottery pick but you never know?
    Well, if I were SA, any deal for Kawhi would have to include Ball or Brandon Ingram. Personally, I would want Ingram more, but they might want Ball as a long term replacement for Parker.
    Well, if I were SA, any deal for Kawhi would have to include Ball or Brandon Ingram. Personally, I would want Ingram more, but they might want Ball as a long term replacement for Parker.
    They like to draft within which is why I don't see them doing this?  

If Ball got proper coaching from Pop that would be something though.  I like Walton but he was just with the right team at the right time and really has zero experience...
    If LA wants Kawhi from Spurs, they'll possibly have to ship BOTH Ball and Ingram to them.

Boston tried for Kawhi at the deadline, so would be surprised if they don't try again. J Brown and Kyrie could be packaged  for Kawhi and D Murray and would most likely be the best offer Spurs will get

Lebron Decision Today?
    Lebron Decision Today?
    Why do you think that?  I thought he had until June 30
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mrussel1 said:
    Lebron Decision Today?
    Yeah, i thought it was the 29th or 30th.

I think he stays are goes to the Lakers. And, if that is the 2 places?>I HOPE he stays in Cleveland.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    He has until 6/29 to opt out if he so chooses.
    Cant's make any deals until July 1 and can't officially sign until July 6, so definitely no decision today on where he is playing next year.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mrussel1 said:
    Lebron Decision Today?
    I thought it was the 20th... wrong date.  Now I have to wait another 10 days... Damn it.
    Who are you hoping your team drafts?

I'm a Bulls fan and really would like to get Mo Bamba, but think we'll need to trade up to at least pick 5 to get him. Porter Jr is interesting, but there are many unanswered question about his game against bigger bodies. With only 3 college games to go off, it is hard to assess where he's at.
    I just pray we don't draft Trae Young - he could become a great player, but I think there's just a big a chance he's no more than bench player.

As a Hornets fan, I don't really know. I'm not particularly high on any of the players that will likely be available at 11. I guess I would pick Collin Sexton if he's still on the board. I would be ok with Robert Williams too. I think his defensive potential is off the charts.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    As a Hornets fan, I don't really know. I'm not particularly high on any of the players that will likely be available at 11. I guess I would pick Collin Sexton if he's still on the board. I would be ok with Robert Williams too. I think his defensive potential is off the charts.

michael jordan doesn’t have a clue.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

michael jordan doesn’t have a clue.
    As a basketball executive, I tend to agree.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Knicks fans booing when they drafted Knox was pretty funny.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    day-um!!!! luka doncic’s mom is a MILF!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Wobbie said:
    day-um!!!! luka doncic’s mom is a MILF!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    grayson allen, huh? :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    grayson allen, huh? :angry:
    He should have a nice trip to SLC for his presser
    Do they think he'll be JJ Reddick or something?  My son suggested that the Cavs pick him simply to take out Draymond.  I thought that was a workable plan. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Grayson is gonna get knocked the fuck out in the NBA if he pulls his shit.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Grayson is gonna get knocked the fuck out in the NBA if he pulls his shit.
    Yeah, I am looking forward to him tripping Westbrook.
    mrussel1 said:
    Do they think he'll be JJ Reddick or something?  My son suggested that the Cavs pick him simply to take out Draymond.  I thought that was a workable plan. 
      I was :prayer: they would not take him. jimmer fredette, anyone?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    A much douchier Jimmer Fredette.

Kind of like if Jimmer and Matthew Dellavadova had a baby.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    So, these reports help's a team DURING the Draft? >WOW>But, can anything be done?

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1561169

Hawks GM happy about draft leaks, says they prevented him from trade
    3h ago
    Scott Cunningham / National Basketball Association / Getty
    BROOKHAVEN GA - MAY 14 General Manage Travis Schlenk of the Atlanta speaks to the media during Lloyd Pierces introductory press conference on May 14 2018 at the Emory Sports Medicine Complex in Brookhaven Georgia NOTE TO USER User expressly acknowledges and agrees that by downloading andor using this photograph user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement Mandatory Copyright Notice Copyright 2018 NBAE

Adrian Wojnarowski's clever use of verbs to circumvent a supposed agreement between the NBA and its major media partners on draft night probably didn't sit well with certain suits, but the general manager of the Atlanta Hawks was grateful for the media's enterprising nature.

Travis Schlenk said that a reporter's projection saved him from trading up with the Milwaukee Bucks, because it informed him that Milwaukee wouldn't be taking Atlanta's preferred targets.

"We had the 19th pick ... and we're actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like," Schlenk told 95.7 The Game, per ESPN. "There's a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin (Huerter) was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take."

In this case, Yahoo's Shams Charania tipped off Schlenk.

Sources: The Milwaukee Bucks have selected Donte DiVincenzo with the No. 17 pick in the NBA draft.

That allowed the Hawks to pick Huerter at 19.

"So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal," Schlenk added. "And keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up because we knew that, two guys on the board we felt really good about and only one team in between us."

Wojnarowski then broke the news of Atlanta's selection, with evasive (although tactical-sounding) precision.

Atlanta has zeroed in on Maryland's Kevin Huerter with the 19 pick, source tells ESPN.