TONIGHT’S LONDON SHOW POSTPONED

Comments

• alexross42alexross42 Posts: 357
    edited June 2018
    Did he say anything about his voice bothering him during the show on Monday actually? I think something has to change in the way he approaches his craft. I know myself as someone who sings that if I had to do it every night my voice would soon become shot. He isn't in his 30s anymore!
    He mentioned after a few songs that he'd seen two throat doctors that day and several times throughout he held his throat as if it was hurting or possibly just frustrating him.
    He also acknowledged the efforts of the crowd in helping him out, at times I couldn't hear Ed over the crowd singing but I'm not sure if that's because he'd actually stopped singing at that point or the crowd were just that loud!
    Post edited by alexross42 on
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • LostDog_72LostDog_72 London Posts: 74
     You have to think you have to try and make it happen any way you can at all costs. The spirit of rock and roll is very much alive. Dave Grohl breaks a leg on stage, ok they’re going to take me to the hospital, they’re going to put these bones back in place, i’m going to sit in a chair, and we are going to rock even fucking harder because I know just how much this means to the people and I know how bad they need this!! 
    Not quite the same I'm afraid - that was a broken leg, not a vocal issue.  Although DG did say it was harder to sing while sitting down, he wasn't putting his voice at risk of long term damage by carrying on.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,883
    mash together a quick show of Stone/Jeff/Matt solo material! 
    Let Stone sing! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527

Get better Eddie!  I've got a ticket to Rome.   If he had what a coworker recently had he won't be singing for a couple weeks.   If there is no Rome show, I'll still be in Rome.  Feel for those who traveled for Pearl Jam.  I've been fortunate to see them many times and don't travel for Pearl Jam unless I actually want to visit that city and hang out there.

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    He mentioned after a few songs that he'd seen two throat doctors that day and several times throughout he held his throat as if it was hurting or possibly just frustrating him.
    He also acknowledged the efforts of the crowd in helping him out, at times I couldn't hear Ed over the crowd singing but I'm not sure if that's because he'd actually stopped singing at that point or the crowd were just that loud!
    That's awesome that the crowd were so enthusiastic. It really adds to something when the whole audience are all focused on participating with the band. Did Mike McCready do any extended solos or appear any more energetic than he normally is? The Single Podcast Theory guys talked about a show before where Mike really seemed to pull out all the stops because he knew that Eddie's voice was bothering him again.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Sure hope Ed gets better soon. It may not be the flu, but could be laryngitis, and that should heal up in three days or so. (although I'm no doctor!)
    But you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;)
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • LeleRMLeleRM In My Tree Posts: 16
    edited June 2018
    Just read a post from @pearljamonline.it on Twitter where it's stated that Live Nation Italy confirmed italian concerts.

Trying to translate: "Although PJ canceled 2nd gig in London at O2, Live Nation it told us that italian gigs are CONFIRMED."

Post edited by LeleRM on
    Rome 07/07/1993 - Rome 11/12/1996 - Milan 06/22/2000 - Bologna 09/14/2006 - Verona 09/16/2006 - Milan 09/17/2006 - Pistoia 09/20/2006 - Zagreb 09/26/2006 - Venice 06/15/2007 - Nijmegen 06/28/2007 - Werchter 06/2972007 - Rotterdam 08/13/2009 - Berlin 08/15/2009 - Arras 07/03/2010 - Werchter 07/04/2010 - Venice 07/06/2010 - Stockholm 07/07/2012 - Oslo 07/09/2012 - Milan 06/20/2014...
    EV: Florence 24/06/2017
  • branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181

Get better Eddie!  I've got a ticket to Rome.   If he had what a coworker recently had he won't be singing for a couple weeks.   If there is no Rome show, I'll still be in Rome.  Feel for those who traveled for Pearl Jam.  I've been fortunate to see them many times and don't travel for Pearl Jam unless I actually want to visit that city and hang out there.

• cannotstaylongcannotstaylong Posts: 668
    edited June 2018
    LeleRM said:
    Just read a post from @pearljamonline.it on Twitter where it's stated that Live Nation Italy confirmed italian concerts.

Trying to translate: "Although PJ canceled 2nd gig in London at O2, Live Nation it told us that italian gigs are CONFIRMED."

That's good to hear, but I wouldn't give that tweet too much credence.  It's in Live Nation Italy's interest to continue saying that the shows are confirmed until they are informed otherwise by the band.  Nevertheless, the tweet does confirm what the band said in yesterday's announcement - that they're planning to resume in Italy.  So that's positive.

Unfortunately, I don't expect we'll know anything definitive until Friday afternoon.  In the meantime, let's just stay positive and trust that these few days of rest will help Eddie get back to where he needs to be health wise.
    Post edited by cannotstaylong on
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    Just remembered during Even Flow when there was the first real signs of his voice bothering him that he thrashed the mic stand against one of the on stage speakers in frustration.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Oh man I would have cried if I got the chance to meet Matt Cameron. However important Pearl Jam are to me, Soundgarden are equally so. Did you grab a photo with him?
    I met him after an SG show backstage in 96. (my boss was the caterer). Talked to him like old friends for like 20 minutes watching Ben run around the parking lot, pissing off the bus drivers. me, my buddy, and Matt all laughing at Ben's antics. it was epic. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    Still hoping they release the bootleg. Metallica didnt when james was sick in copenhagen
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
    LeleRM said:

That's good to hear, but I wouldn't give that tweet too much credence.  It's in Live Nation Italy's interest to continue saying that the shows are confirmed until they are informed otherwise by the band.  Nevertheless, the tweet does confirm what the band said in yesterday's announcement - that they're planning to resume in Italy.  So that's positive.

Unfortunately, I don't expect we'll know anything definitive until Friday afternoon.  In the meantime, let's just stay positive and trust that these few days of rest will help Eddie get back to where he needs to be health wise.
    italy could have a very cool vibe of the "slower/lower" songs if ed decides to take it easier. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I am not a singer (by any stretch of the imagination), but I would assume that the "slower/lower" songs put more focus on the quality of Ed's voice, as the vocals are not being supported or even overshone by the instruments, and as such I would think it might be even more difficult. Maybe those who sing can set me straight. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Brannigans lawBrannigans law Posts: 121
    edited June 2018
     You have to think you have to try and make it happen any way you can at all costs. The spirit of rock and roll is very much alive. Dave Grohl breaks a leg on stage, ok they’re going to take me to the hospital, they’re going to put these bones back in place, i’m going to sit in a chair, and we are going to rock even fucking harder because I know just how much this means to the people and I know how bad they need this!! 
    Not quite the same I'm afraid - that was a broken leg, not a vocal issue.  Although DG did say it was harder to sing while sitting down, he wasn't putting his voice at risk of long term damage by carrying on.
    Also I travelled to the Foo Red Rocks shows that were cancelled because....Dave had throat issues.

According to the Foo Fighters' Web site yesterday, the band has canceled tonight and tomorrow's shows at Colorado's feted Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Frontman Dave Grohl has been suffering from a severe sore throat, and could only sing one of the two songs he was scheduled to perform at a Saturday taping of VH1 Rock Honors: The Who. Supergrass singer Gaz Coombes reportedly took over singing duties for the Foo Fighters' second number. 

Entertainment Weekly 
    reports that Grohl's throat is injured as the result of long sets on the Foo Fighters' U.S. tour, and that Grohl and other band members are under doctor's orders to rest. 

The Red Rocks shows have been rescheduled for September 8 and 9. Tickets for the July 14 show will be honored for the September 8 date, and tickets for the July 15 show will be honored for September 9. 

Grohl says, "As much as it kills us to postpone shows, I'm in no shape to deliver the kind of balls-out performances that you guys deserve. We're already looking forward to September when we can make it up to everyone 10 times over. It's gonna be great." – Ellen Mallernee
    I am not a singer (by any stretch of the imagination), but I would assume that the "slower/lower" songs put more focus on the quality of Ed's voice, as the vocals are not being supported or even overshone by the instruments, and as such I would think it might be even more difficult. Maybe those who sing can set me straight. 
    I have sung on and off, and no, the slower/lower songs are much easier to sing. it's in his natural register. a song like deep or blood is slightly out of his range now, where he has to strain to hit the notes. if it was just of the girl or man of hour type songs all night, that would be right in his wheel house. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Really sorry for everybody that traveled London but I hope you made the best of your time there! Would be super bummed if something happened to the Prague > Krakow > Berlin run, but at the end of the day, I've planned a great little trek through Europe and PJ is just the icing on the cake
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
     Who is totally sick of the word gutted. I am!!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

:lol:

seems to be the "new thang" to say

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,396
    rangers72 said:
    Personally pissed off with this,this is my familys summer holiday and it would have been both my daughters first shows and they are utterly devastated.When will i be able to get my money back for tickets as i will use the money to take them to something else.
    It’s so hard to be obey the rules and be nice when people post like this.  There may be more of you who feel the same way but I quit reading. I’m imagining the majority are understanding...thats how true PJ fans are

please answer this question...what do you consider an acceptable reason to cancel? Personal tradgedy, nuclear missille on its way? Obviously your family has led a pretty good life if this their first and most devastating moment of their life’s. How about next time you take a few minutes and really think about what your writing. Somewhere a child is crying for their mother and/or father but they’re a thousand miles away and that child is laying on a floor in a cage filled with other children and their hearts are broken. Now that is devastating. You don’t deserve to attend a PJ show.
    Apologize in advance for errors..my hands are shaking
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    rangers72 said:
    Personally pissed off with this,this is my familys summer holiday and it would have been both my daughters first shows and they are utterly devastated.When will i be able to get my money back for tickets as i will use the money to take them to something else.
    It’s so hard to be obey the rules and be nice when people post like this.  There may be more of you who feel the same way but I quit reading. I’m imagining the majority are understanding...thats how true PJ fans are

please answer this question...what do you consider an acceptable reason to cancel? Personal tradgedy, nuclear missille on its way? Obviously your family has led a pretty good life if this their first and most devastating moment of their life’s. How about next time you take a few minutes and really think about what your writing. Somewhere a child is crying for their mother and/or father but they’re a thousand miles away and that child is laying on a floor in a cage filled with other children and their hearts are broken. Now that is devastating. You don’t deserve to attend a PJ show.
    A “true PJ fan” would let another vent. Let them have their moment to be angry. It’s unfair to throw bad shit happening in the world at them and just say someone has it worse. I guess you are never upset/angry in life since someone elses shit is always worse than yours? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    rangers72 said:

A “true PJ fan” would let another vent. Let them have their moment to be angry. It’s unfair to throw bad shit happening in the world at them and just say someone has it worse. I guess you are never upset/angry in life since someone elses shit is always worse than yours? 
    this. let people vent and move on. throwing fuel on the fire won't put it out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So his ranting and raving is more important than my comments and opinions? And by the way I really didn’t ask anyone to agree with me. “Utterly devasted” is a little dramatic.  One thing to be disappointed, his comments were on a whole different level. And we’ve all seen Ed throw lots of idiots out of a concert...so don’t tell me how a PJ fan would or should act...I’ve seen how the band acts so that’s proof enough for me. 
    Of course things have happened to me, my children, things that truly were “utterly devasting” to us....I assure you none of them were missed vacations or concerts 
    So his ranting and raving is more important than my comments and opinions? And by the way I really didn’t ask anyone to agree with me. “Utterly devasted” is a little dramatic.  One thing to be disappointed, his comments were on a whole different level. And we’ve all seen Ed throw lots of idiots out of a concert...so don’t tell me how a PJ fan would or should act...I’ve seen how the band acts so that’s proof enough for me. 
    Of course things have happened to me, my children, things that truly were “utterly devasting” to us....I assure you none of them were missed vacations or concerts 
    not more important. I just don't see how it's worth it or helps, that's all. context matters. utterly devastating or gutted one day means one thing and 2 years from now means something completely different to that same person. 

and you're right, I don't like when people use the "true PJ fan would do X". that's nonsense. there is no criteria that all pj fans fit into. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    edited June 2018
    You literally said in your post “thats how true PJ fans are.” My quotes were to show you how ridiculous it is to say that. You posted to a forum and I responded just like you did to him. 

He has a right to be upset. As does anyone that spent their money and time to be there. 

Edit - I should add that most posts I have seen are upset with the situation, not the band personally or the decision having to be made.
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    not more important. I just don't see how it's worth it or helps, that's all. context matters. utterly devastating or gutted one day means one thing and 2 years from now means something completely different to that same person. 

and you're right, I don't like when people use the "true PJ fan would do X". that's nonsense. there is no criteria that all pj fans fit into. 
    Just check with me. I’m the benchmark for “true PJ fan”.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited June 2018
    goldrush said:
    The waiting is driving me mad. Best wishes to Eddie Vedder, i hope this is nothing long term or too serious. Hoping he recovers as soon as possible. But something is up and we’re not totally sure what it is. You could tell something was off just from the setlist of the first show. Cancelling a show because of a voice problem early in a tour is a BIG deal. It makes me think this could be really bad potentially, and the worst scenarios come to mind. There’s a LOT riding on the line if any more shows ever got cancelled for masses of people. Too much spiritual healing and spiritual adventure left by the wayside.

This isn’t bad weather, this isn’t the law, this seems somewhat manageable. There are so many options if Eddie Vedder can’t go even at 33%. Good thing we have the loudest, most communal crowd on the planet that sings all the lyrics to any given song even Other Side, Angel, Dead Man, you name it. Just play all the hits, we will take the vocals. Let Stone sing. Mike, Jeff, and Matt all sing if singing even really matters that much. I personally don’t really care much for the vocals, the guitar and instrumentation is what always did it for me with this band.

You could play the shows instrumentally. You could play the shows acoustically. You could bring an orchestra in. Let’s break some barriers! It’s ok to give it 50% if you had to. Eddie Vedder shouldn’t be giving it 100% at this point anyways, the vocals here just aren’t that important not like it’s anything virtuoso. Playing harsh songs on the voice like Deep, Mind Your Manners, Brain of J seems kind of questionable when the voice isn’t right. I’m just so passionate for this music, we gotta push through this shit. If you are going to cancel another show or the whole tour please announce it sooner than later so people can attempt to change plans. We are going to see what this band is made of in these next couple weeks at this older age.
    Sorry, but it’s just not as simple as Ed going at 33% or 50%... the guy has “completely lost his voice.” He cannot sing! There a big difference between Dave Grohl playing a set when he’s sitting down with a doctor holding his leg in place (as badass as that was!) to a singer with no voice.

Maybe night 1 was Ed taking it easy as he could, and look where it got him. “Vocal rest for the next few days”.

You also have to keep in mind that a large percentage of the crowd will be ‘casual’ fans, who would not be happy with Stone, Matt, or Jeff singing Pearl Jam songs. And they certainly wouldn’t want an instrumental concert.

It really sucks and, speaking as someone who has also travelled halfway round the world to see them more than once, I really feel for the fans that are missing out. I hope they make an announcement soon, for better or worse, so that it doesn’t cause any more disruption for those that travelled. I just hope they do what’s right for Ed’s voice long term.
    Agreed - putting on a Pearl Jam show without Eddie would seem pretty ridiculous to the vast majority of the crowd. Just doing some crappy half-assed instrumental show or having Jeff and Stone singing instead of doing what the crowd paid for, which is to see a Pearl Jam show, seems like a terrible idea to me. And I'm quite sure that nobody in the band is willing to give it 50% - their standards are much higher than that!
    I completely understand that those who travelled in the for the show and spent a ton of money are really disappointed when a show gets cancelled or postponed and feel like everything should be done because of their own situations and expenditures, but that's just not how the world works. Rescheduling for when Eddie can sing is by far the most logical and rational thing to do. Unfortunately, this is the risk we all take when we decide to travel for concerts. We'd probably all be doing ourselves a favour if we remembered to keep the possibility of a cancellation in mind when we books these kinds of trips, to maybe kind of brace ourselves mentally for such an event.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    Haha! Me too! I thought it was funny that suddenly everyone added the word to their common vocabulary, but now it's just kind of annoying, lol. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Ok I live by the philosophy that if I have to hear you then you have to hear me.  His comments, my comments, your opinion, on and on. I’ve said my peace, that’s how I feel. And guess what, I was allowed to feel that way just like he was and you too. My definition of a true PJ fan is different than yours, or his or hers, you getting the point now? You think I bashed him so you bashed me then your friend jumped in and so on and so on. Ok so I’m done posting because something more devastating in the world is happening that I must find out about
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    News from. Italy are good :)  Milan here i come tomorrow
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
This discussion has been closed.