Options

TONIGHT’S LONDON SHOW POSTPONED

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    mcgruff10 said:
    Postpone Italy shows and resume in Prague
    Holy hell, this would be REAL shit storm here.  I'm sure there are lots of people who planned entire vacations around the Italy run.
    If I was in Italy and pj canceled their show I d take one breathe and realize that I am still in freaking Italy. 
    Easier said than done. I've seen PJ 80 times and each show is like a bookmark in my life. If Barcelona gets canceled, I'll live but I'll still be disappointed that the experience didn't happen. People should appreciate what they have but also have the right to be disappointed. 

Absolutely bud. I d definitely be bummed but man you are going to be in Barcelona!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Postpone Italy shows and resume in Prague
    Holy hell, this would be REAL shit storm here.  I'm sure there are lots of people who planned entire vacations around the Italy run.
    If I was in Italy and pj canceled their show I d take one breathe and realize that I am still in freaking Italy. 
    Easier said than done. I've seen PJ 80 times and each show is like a bookmark in my life. If Barcelona gets canceled, I'll live but I'll still be disappointed that the experience didn't happen. People should appreciate what they have but also have the right to be disappointed. 

Absolutely bud. I d definitely be bummed but man you are going to be in Barcelona!!!
    I know bro, with my fam, don't think I don't appreciate every minute. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,828
    Feel better soon Eddie.  
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    EB218946 said:
    And there’s not a single cell phone in sight! Those were the good old days.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    There is no way yeah can be ready by Friday. Postpone Italy shows and resume in Prague
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    Chrisilein said: That would be a nightmare! I'm sure there are about 100K who don't like your idea! But yes, health is first and I will have a wonderful time in Padova and Rome anyway
    There is no way yeah can be ready by Friday. Postpone Italy shows and resume in Prague
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    samosansamosan Posts: 31
    Last year I went with my girlfriend to see Eddie's solo concert in Florence. When he came on to the stage and started talking, my girlfriend who is not such a big PJ fan looked at me and said: "This guy is going to sing?" His voice sounded like he could barely speak. Of course, after that his singing was excellent.
    But let's face it guys, though his voice is still very good and PJ trademark, you can see him struggling to get the same sound out of his mouth, and it seems like he is struggling more and more as the years go by.
    Let's just hope it's just a temporary illness and that he hasn't some serious permanent damage on his vocal chords.

Get well, Ed!
    See you in Padova.
  • Options
    webbowebbo London, UK Posts: 104
    Everybody go see pearl jamm  to night  great band .  Next best thing if stuck in London  all night @webbo
    Thanks mate! That was a superb gig and made all the more special as Pearl Jam played the borderline in 1992. The crowd were absolutely brilliant and it was a privilege to put on a show for them. Won’t forget that one in a hurry! 
    My new Youtube channel - learn how to play every guitar part for every PJ song! https://www.youtube.com/letsplayall
    My tribute band's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pearljammband/
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited June 2018
    The waiting is driving me mad. Best wishes to Eddie Vedder, i hope this is nothing long term or too serious. Hoping he recovers as soon as possible. But something is up and we’re not totally sure what it is. You could tell something was off just from the setlist of the first show. Cancelling a show because of a voice problem early in a tour is a BIG deal. It makes me think this could be really bad potentially, and the worst scenarios come to mind. There’s a LOT riding on the line if any more shows ever got cancelled for masses of people. Too much spiritual healing and spiritual adventure left by the wayside.

You have to think you have to try and make it happen any way you can at all costs. The spirit of rock and roll is very much alive. Dave Grohl breaks a leg on stage, ok they’re going to take me to the hospital, they’re going to put these bones back in place, i’m going to sit in a chair, and we are going to rock even fucking harder because I know just how much this means to the people and I know how bad they need this!! 

This isn’t bad weather, this isn’t the law, this seems somewhat manageable. There are so many options if Eddie Vedder can’t go even at 33%. Good thing we have the loudest, most communal crowd on the planet that sings all the lyrics to any given song even Other Side, Angel, Dead Man, you name it. Just play all the hits, we will take the vocals. Let Stone sing. Mike, Jeff, and Matt all sing if singing even really matters that much. I personally don’t really care much for the vocals, the guitar and instrumentation is what always did it for me with this band.

You could play the shows instrumentally. You could play the shows acoustically. You could bring an orchestra in. Let’s break some barriers! It’s ok to give it 50% if you had to. Eddie Vedder shouldn’t be giving it 100% at this point anyways, the vocals here just aren’t that important not like it’s anything virtuoso. Playing harsh songs on the voice like Deep, Mind Your Manners, Brain of J seems kind of questionable when the voice isn’t right. I’m just so passionate for this music, we gotta push through this shit. If you are going to cancel another show or the whole tour please announce it sooner than later so people can attempt to change plans. We are going to see what this band is made of in these next couple weeks at this older age.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,938
    The waiting is driving me mad. Best wishes to Eddie Vedder, i hope this is nothing long term or too serious. Hoping he recovers as soon as possible. But something is up and we’re not totally sure what it is. You could tell something was off just from the setlist of the first show. Cancelling a show because of a voice problem early in a tour is a BIG deal. It makes me think this could be really bad potentially, and the worst scenarios come to mind. There’s a LOT riding on the line if any more shows ever got cancelled for masses of people. Too much spiritual healing and spiritual adventure left by the wayside.

You have to think you have to try and make it happen any way you can at all costs. The spirit of rock and roll is very much alive. Dave Grohl breaks a leg on stage, ok they’re going to take me to the hospital, they’re going to put these bones back in place, i’m going to sit in a chair, and we are going to rock even fucking harder because I know just how much this means to the people and I know how bad they need this!! 

This isn’t bad weather, this isn’t the law, this seems somewhat manageable. There are so many options if Eddie Vedder can’t go even at 33%. Good thing we have the loudest, most communal crowd on the planet that sings all the lyrics to any given song even Other Side, Angel, Dead Man, you name it. Just play all the hits, we will take the vocals. Let Stone sing. Mike, Jeff, and Matt all sing if singing even really matters that much. I personally don’t really care much for the vocals, the guitar and instrumentation is what always did it for me with this band.

You could play the shows instrumentally. You could play the shows acoustically. You could bring an orchestra in. Let’s break some barriers! It’s ok to give it 50% if you had to. Eddie Vedder shouldn’t be giving it 100% at this point anyways, the vocals here just aren’t that important at this point, not like it’s anything virtuoso. Playing harsh songs on the voice like Deep, Mind Your Manners, Brain of J seems kind of questionable when the voice isn’t right. I’m just so passionate for this music, we gotta push through this shit. We are going to see what this band is made of in these next couple weeks at this older age.
    Great post .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    Really disappointed about the show but completely understand why, he really was struggling towards the end of night one and hope he gets better really soon for the totally selfish reason that we fly to Milan tomorrow for the Italian shows.. 
    If he doesn’t heal by Friday then I guess we have a lot more sightseeing to do as we’re still going to the Italian cities and we’ll just treat it as a holiday 
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022

• Options
    dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    samosan said:
    Last year I went with my girlfriend to see Eddie's solo concert in Florence. When he came on to the stage and started talking, my girlfriend who is not such a big PJ fan looked at me and said: "This guy is going to sing?" His voice sounded like he could barely speak. Of course, after that his singing was excellent.
    After seeing Mark Lanegan many times I don't find it that strange. Lanegan is taking really good care of his voice and his singing hasn't regressed a bit but he can barely say thank you between songs.
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • Options
    dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    edited June 2018
    Just play all the hits, we will take the vocals. Let Stone sing. Mike, Jeff, and Matt all sing if singing even really matters that much. I personally don’t really care much for the vocals, the guitar and instrumentation is what always did it for me with this band.
    I don't know about others but vocals are super important for me. I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to sing the songs myself. I can do that in a pub, hehe. 
    Post edited by dresi_4 on
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    dresi_4 said:
    Just play all the hits, we will take the vocals. Let Stone sing. Mike, Jeff, and Matt all sing if singing even really matters that much. I personally don’t really care much for the vocals, the guitar and instrumentation is what always did it for me with this band.
    I don't know about others but vocals are super important for me. I wouldn't pay hundred of dollars to sing the song myself. I can do that in a pub, hehe. 
    I'm with you on that. If PJ had taken the stage last night and Eddie didn't sing or even come out, I can guarantee you there would be much more of an uproar from people in general. Not everyone who attends a 20,000 capacity venue to see PJ are hardcore fans! The majority of them would have been super pissed and now asking for refunds, moaning even more on social media etc. The band made completely the right decision, even if it was a major bummer. Just hoping I can make it to the rescheduled date now, whenever that is.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,025

Dave Grohl soldiered through that show where he broke his leg, but they had to cancel/postpone a couple of shows following that. Same situation here, Eddie played one show sick and somehow made it through, but had to postpone the next one.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277

You could play the shows instrumentally. You could play the shows acoustically. You could bring an orchestra in. Let’s break some barriers! It’s ok to give it 50% if you had to. Eddie Vedder shouldn’t be giving it 100% at this point anyways, the vocals here just aren’t that important not like it’s anything virtuoso. Playing harsh songs on the voice like Deep, Mind Your Manners, Brain of J seems kind of questionable when the voice isn’t right. I’m just so passionate for this music, we gotta push through this shit. If you are going to cancel another show or the whole tour please announce it sooner than later so people can attempt to change plans. We are going to see what this band is made of in these next couple weeks at this older age.
    Sorry, but it’s just not as simple as Ed going at 33% or 50%... the guy has “completely lost his voice.” He cannot sing! There a big difference between Dave Grohl playing a set when he’s sitting down with a doctor holding his leg in place (as badass as that was!) to a singer with no voice.

Maybe night 1 was Ed taking it easy as he could, and look where it got him. “Vocal rest for the next few days”.

You also have to keep in mind that a large percentage of the crowd will be ‘casual’ fans, who would not be happy with Stone, Matt, or Jeff singing Pearl Jam songs. And they certainly wouldn’t want an instrumental concert.

It really sucks and, speaking as someone who has also travelled halfway round the world to see them more than once, I really feel for the fans that are missing out. I hope they make an announcement soon, for better or worse, so that it doesn’t cause any more disruption for those that travelled. I just hope they do what’s right for Ed’s voice long term.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 990
    Sitting in Heathrow with my wife waiting for the plane back to NY feeling mixed emotions. We had some really bad luck Monday night that got worse when the cancellation was announced. My wife and I both drew tickets for Night 2 so several months ago I swapped with another board member for his fan club presale GA seats for N1 (not officiall 10 Club seats but all signs pointed toward a legit deal).  Turns out these tickets were not valid...I nearly lost it when we were denied entry, but focused, recovered and was able to find a guardian angel who had an extra GA (didn’t catch your name but THANK YOU if you are reading this). My wife just said “go have fun” and she retreated back to the hotel, missing the show. I missed the first 3 songs but then settled in and had a heck of a night.

We made the most of our “day off” in London on Tuesday and a little bad luck turned around when I randomly ran into Matt Cameron on the street. He was as cool as you would expect and I just told him to tell Ed we are all pushing for him to get better real soon, and that we would see him in Boston!

Amazing trip to London, one very enjoyable show but yes, feeling a bit listless now and bummed my wife missed both shows (honestly I think we just miss our kids).  Couple lessons learned: don’t make trades for non 10C tickets and more importantly, every show is a gift.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    jcmitchell28jcmitchell28 Fort Worth Posts: 212
    "Every show is a gift"

That's some good perspective right there.  Glad you were able to make the most of your trip!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Waiting is going to be hard for us that are going to shows this tour especially those going to Italy but I really think we need to take a step back and just take them on their word that they expect the shows to go on. If the two specialists on the 18th told him that the tour was in jeopardy besides normal rest I highly doubt that they would say they expect the tour to resume. Yes it maybe worse then previous thought after the show on the 18th and yes this has never happened before but I am still optimistic the tour will continue. 
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I think whoever fucked Dan over with those invalid tickets needs to be named and shamed on here. That is completely unacceptable behaviour. A friend of mine travelled to London for last night's show and was completely gutted when he arrived to London and heard the news!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    All this reminds me - for anyone who’s going to be at Werchter or Mad Cool, make sure to check out Gang of Youths. They recently had to postpone a few US dates due to their singer losing his voice, but I was lucky enough to catch them before that happened. They are a great young band with a fantastic live show. And if you’re not going to those dates, check out Go Farther In Lightness anyway - my favorite album from last year. 
  • Options
    I doubt I'll be watching them as they're clashing with Slaves at Mad Cool.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    I think whoever fucked Dan over with those invalid tickets needs to be named and shamed on here. That is completely unacceptable behaviour. A friend of mine travelled to London for last night's show and was completely gutted when he arrived to London and heard the news!
    Thanks for the support Conor!  Perhaps he didn’t know what he was trading were fakes (who knows...). I’ve made peace with it now to be honest but wanted to share just in case any of us are trying for swaps for non 10C tickets.  I even bought the guy a beer before the show!  Plus meeting MC pretty epic.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    Oh man I would have cried if I got the chance to meet Matt Cameron. However important Pearl Jam are to me, Soundgarden are equally so. Did you grab a photo with him?
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Oh man I would have cried if I got the chance to meet Matt Cameron. However important Pearl Jam are to me, Soundgarden are equally so. Did you grab a photo with him?
    I was tempted to ask but something told me to let it go. Who knows how the band members must have been feeling. I’m sure he would have obliged though!  He’s simply the best.
  • Options
    I'm sure he probably would have gone along with it. I always ask the guys I bump into for a photograph and then apologise for being so annoying and explain that I am so grateful for everything they've done. That usually seems to cover it. But still though, you got to meet the guy.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 364
    We spent the evening around Covent Garden and I ended up chatting with way more PJ fans than ever before. Although everyone was obviously disappointed there was an overall feeling of acceptance of the situation and general goodwill for Ed's speedy recovery, which was heart warming to observe.
    During Monday's gig it felt like the crowd were happy to get behind Ed to help him out and if the bootleg is released I hope this comes across in the mix
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    Did he say anything about his voice bothering him during the show on Monday actually? I think something has to change in the way he approaches his craft. I know myself as someone who sings that if I had to do it every night my voice would soon become shot. He isn't in his 30s anymore!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Sitting in Heathrow with my wife waiting for the plane back to NY feeling mixed emotions. We had some really bad luck Monday night that got worse when the cancellation was announced. My wife and I both drew tickets for Night 2 so several months ago I swapped with another board member for his fan club presale GA seats for N1 (not officiall 10 Club seats but all signs pointed toward a legit deal).  Turns out these tickets were not valid...I nearly lost it when we were denied entry, but focused, recovered and was able to find a guardian angel who had an extra GA (didn’t catch your name but THANK YOU if you are reading this). My wife just said “go have fun” and she retreated back to the hotel, missing the show. I missed the first 3 songs but then settled in and had a heck of a night.

We made the most of our “day off” in London on Tuesday and a little bad luck turned around when I randomly ran into Matt Cameron on the street. He was as cool as you would expect and I just told him to tell Ed we are all pushing for him to get better real soon, and that we would see him in Boston!

Amazing trip to London, one very enjoyable show but yes, feeling a bit listless now and bummed my wife missed both shows (honestly I think we just miss our kids).  Couple lessons learned: don’t make trades for non 10C tickets and more importantly, every show is a gift.
    I am so very sorry to read this.  
    I was tempted to ask but something told me to let it go. Who knows how the band members must have been feeling. I’m sure he would have obliged though!  He’s simply the best.
    There's a reason he is called Matt Fucking Cameron. :smile: So glad that you were able meet Matt. 

Thank you for sharing your story and for reminding us all that every show really is a gift.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
This discussion has been closed.