Options

TONIGHT’S LONDON SHOW POSTPONED

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited June 2018
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    "Absolutely gutted and devastated" is what I keep reading about tonight's show.  I'm sure that is how Puerto Rico still feels.  #FirstWorldProblems
    you know what false equivalency is? I guess you never get upset about anything in your life, ever, because, you know, Puerto Rico. 
    I'm thinking that you didn't read close enough.  Perspective not false equivalency, but not surprised you came out to play and attack me. I could say the sky is blue and you would bitch at me about it.  

I get it that people are disappointed.  Yes, people spent a lot of money. I get being sad about it.  
    However, take in the sights and see stuff!

Thankful this is a temporary condition.  That's all I was saying. Sadly, there are people impacted by situations beyond their control that aren't just a temporary thing.  My point was, just think about that, too.  
    I recognize your handle, but no idea what you mean by "...you would bitch at me about it" comment. and that's an attack? yikes. 

I get having a positive attitude about things, but people are allowed to be disappointed, regardless of what is going on in the world. minimizing someone's issue just because "it could always be worse" isn't helpful. 
    I viewed the post as one trying to lend perspective.  I posted previously that people should absolutely be understood in feeling upset/angry today, and I also shared that I felt badly for them.  Nothing wrong with providing perspective.  Missing a concert is most assuredly a first world problem. 

We can note it that HFD finds this perspective lending to not be helpful. 
    oh please. you can lend perspective without speaking from your tower. using the hashtag first world problems is not "lending perspective". it's making fun of the people who are disappointed. 
    I have the benefit of knowing the person who posted that piece of perspective, very well.  There is no situation that this person makes fun of like this, trying to be mean as you suggest.  Probably one of the nicest humans around...

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    "Absolutely gutted and devastated" is what I keep reading about tonight's show.  I'm sure that is how Puerto Rico still feels.  #FirstWorldProblems
    you know what false equivalency is? I guess you never get upset about anything in your life, ever, because, you know, Puerto Rico. 
    I'm thinking that you didn't read close enough.  Perspective not false equivalency, but not surprised you came out to play and attack me. I could say the sky is blue and you would bitch at me about it.  

I get it that people are disappointed.  Yes, people spent a lot of money. I get being sad about it.  

Thankful this is a temporary condition.  That's all I was saying. Sadly, there are people impacted by situations beyond their control that aren't just a temporary thing.  My point was, just think about that, too.  
    I recognize your handle, but no idea what you mean by "...you would bitch at me about it" comment. and that's an attack? yikes. 

I get having a positive attitude about things, but people are allowed to be disappointed, regardless of what is going on in the world. minimizing someone's issue just because "it could always be worse" isn't helpful. 
    I viewed the post as one trying to lend perspective.  I posted previously that people should absolutely be understood in feeling upset/angry today, and I also shared that I felt badly for them.  Nothing wrong with providing perspective.  Missing a concert is most assuredly a first world problem. 

oh please. you can lend perspective without speaking from your tower. using the hashtag first world problems is not "lending perspective". it's making fun of the people who are disappointed. 
    I have the benefit of knowing the person who posted that piece of perspective, very well.  There is no situation that this person makes fun of.  Probably one of the nicest humans around...

so you think "#firstworldproblems" is offering perspective. I call it being snarky and inventing a moral high ground that doesn't exist. 

but sure, ok. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    LN241653LN241653 Cambridge Posts: 163
    I'm not bothered  because  my heart is with all my fellow fans that travelled form 4 corners of the earth
     I saw so many trying to  get last min flight at extra cost or who l knows what. These are my dear friends and nobody moaned. Venue e
    Security  said to us
     I have never seen fans of any band react like this with no anger . That s testament  to all of us good folk. I had a panic attack last night and I was crying like a baby. And people from all over the world saved me and I had a gig I will never forget . Nobody was angry all sad but humble. Good work 10c people. My kind ..(mostly
    Was that you in one of the bars after the gig? I met someone who said the exact same thing, about the crying I mean.
  • Options
    FunkezFunkez Copenhagen Posts: 133
    Feeling sorry for anyone who traveled from near or far away, it simply sucks.

Now, as to the possibility of Eddie being OK for Milan - Last year Metallica had a four concert back2back start on their tour here in Denmark, and James lost his voice on the first night. They cancelled the second, but he went on the third and fourth, and the rest of the tour. And played an extra show as replacement later on (testing their new stageshow).

Not going on stage was in all likelihood the best thing to do, all things considered. Even while disappointing a lot of fans - chances are you'd be disappointed anyway, and future concerts on tour would be in jeopardy as well.
    Roskilde '92, Roskilde '00, Rock Werchter '12, Stockholm '12, Copenhagen '12, Berlin '14, Stockholm '14, Oslo '14, London '14, NYC '15, (EV) Kvaerndrup '17, Amsterdam I '18, Berlin '18, London II 18, (EV) Berlin '19
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    Funkez said:

Now, as to the possibility of Eddie being OK for Milan - Last year Metallica had a four concert back2back start on their tour here in Denmark, and James lost his voice on the first night. They cancelled the second, but he went on the third and fourth, and the rest of the tour. And played an extra show as replacement later on (testing their new stageshow).

Not going on stage was in all likelihood the best thing to do, all things considered. Even while disappointing a lot of fans - chances are you'd be disappointed anyway, and future concerts on tour would be in jeopardy as well.

My hope that if additional rest is needed for Ed's vocal cords, then they let the fans know ASAP so that they might alter their plans. Lot's of people travel to see PJ and I was the one of the unlucky ticketholders for Raleigh 2016. I thought they messed that up pretty bad waiting until the day or two before to cancel.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

I have the benefit of knowing the person who posted that piece of perspective, very well.  There is no situation that this person makes fun of.  Probably one of the nicest humans around...

so you think "#firstworldproblems" is offering perspective. I call it being snarky and inventing a moral high ground that doesn't exist. 

but sure, ok. 
    Pretty much everything I type in response appears to be a personal attack and I don't want to be that type of person.

I can just say that I believe this:  you are incorrect in your estimation in this instance.

Sorry for those who missed out.
    We love you EV and hope you get better soon.
    Fully understand any who are upset and/or angry about the change in plans and what that means to them.
    There are things to be sad and thankful about during the course of every day.  Perspective can be a helpful thing, to all.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

but sure, ok. 
    Pretty much everything I type in response appears to be a personal attack and I don't want to be that type of person.

I can just say that I believe this:  you are incorrect in your estimation in this instance.

Sorry for those who missed out.
    We love you EV and hope you get better soon.
    Fully understand any who are upset and/or angry about the change in plans and what that means to them.
    There are things to be sad and thankful about during the course of every day.  Perspective can be a helpful thing, to all.
    now the way that was said I can get behind. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited June 2018
    lolobugg said:
    Funkez said:

My hope that if additional rest is needed for Ed's vocal cords, then they let the fans know ASAP so that they might alter their plans. Lot's of people travel to see PJ and I was the one of the unlucky ticketholders for Raleigh 2016. I thought they messed that up pretty bad waiting until the day or two before to cancel.

I hear you, but the circumstances are entirely different. I don't see why they wouldn't keep people posted, what would they gain? It's not an embarrassment, and if Milan should be out of the question, they'd say so asap. My Guess. Raleigh was a political statement, whether you agree or not is indifferent, as the circumstances are entirely different.  

PS "whether you agree or not is indifferent" - not an attack :)

Post edited by Funkez on
    Roskilde '92, Roskilde '00, Rock Werchter '12, Stockholm '12, Copenhagen '12, Berlin '14, Stockholm '14, Oslo '14, London '14, NYC '15, (EV) Kvaerndrup '17, Amsterdam I '18, Berlin '18, London II 18, (EV) Berlin '19
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    edited June 2018
    Funkez said:
    lolobugg said:
    Funkez said:

I hear you, but the circumstances are entirely different. I don't see why they wouldn't keep people posted, what would they gain? It's not an embarrassment, and if Milan should be out of the question, they'd say so asap. My Guess. Raleigh was a political statement, whether you agree or not is indifferent, as the circumstances are entirely different.  

I am an NC resident and I fully supported the move. We did our part and i would've hoped that they would've "made up" that date. no dice.

as it pertains to Europe..... I hope they make the correct decision..... If he can't go, he can't go. don't push it.

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    sucks.  get better Ed!  Maybe this is why the shows are "shorter" than in the past 5 or so years.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    lolobugg said:
    Funkez said:
    lolobugg said:
    Funkez said:

I am an NC resident and I fully supported the move. We did our part and i would've hoped that they would've "made up" that date. no dice.

as it pertains to Europe..... I hope they make the correct decision..... If he can't go, he can't go. don't push it.

I agree, they should have done something. "punishing" the fans probably wasn't the political statement, if so, I'd never get behind that.

And agree as well, if Ed can't do the full 3 hours, they a rescheduling is probably better for 70% of the audience. Crap for the 20% and a total loss (even with show tickets refunded) for 10%. Though decisions right? 
  • Options
    sucks.  get better Ed!  Maybe this is why the shows are "shorter" than in the past 5 or so years.
    Ed was in awesome shape in Amsterdam I - and the 24-28 songs shows are still more than you usual concert.
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    lolobugg said:

I feel bad for everyone that had tix for tonight's show. I have experienced this with Raleigh.

Ed- get better soon!!!

You and me both. That was such a bummer!
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Tremorman said:
    Tough break for all involved, hope Ed feels better!  Band has had some bad luck the last few tours with 3 cancellations (Raleigh  '16, Lollapolooza Argentina '18, London '18)
    I wouldn’t call Raleigh bad luck. Except for the fans.

Amen to that! I'm still bummed about that whole debacle.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    KC138045 said:
    goldrush said:
    2.5  hours of Mankind! 
    Don’t Gimme No Lip for the encore!
    don't forget about Sweet Lew

Black Diamond.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    Funkez said:
    Ed was in awesome shape in Amsterdam I - and the 24-28 songs shows are still more than you usual concert.
    i know but not usual for a PJ show in the past 5-10 years :wink:
    Glad to hear he was great in Amsterdam.  Hopefully a few days rest is all he needs.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    lolobugg said:
    Funkez said:

Exactly. I flew from Seattle to attend two shows, and the Raleigh cancellation was announced as I was leaving my hotel for the Hampton show. The bad news ruined the entire night. Kind of hard to enjoy the show when you're devastated about spending so much money to travel for two shows and then having the Pearl Jam rug swept out from underneath you. The airline wouldn't let me change my flight without paying an extra $600, otherwise I might have been able to go to the show in SC since there were still tix available. Ugh....talk about a bad situation all around.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    If I was in town I'd be all over that David Byrne show.  He's crushing it this tour an his stage show is amazing.
    I’m seeing him in September. One of my bucket list items and I can’t wait
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    I'm traveling to Chicago in August. My first time ever traveling to see a concert (and I've been to well over 100 shows). I plan to have a fun weekend sight seeing and eating in a different town, with a 3 hour concert as the highlight of the weekend. But most of the comments on this thread indicate people planned to travel to a foreign country to stand in line for merchandise and see a concert only. So the show was postponed. They announced it early enough today that, yeah it's a bummer, but now you can see cool stuff you couldn't before. 

If I go to NYC only to see the statue and the Statue of Liberty is closed for the day, I don't say my trip was ruined. I venture out and experience the rest of the city. 

And if Eddie can't sing, maybe Axl Rose can fill in ala AC-DC.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Postpone Italy shows and resume in Prague
    Holy hell, this would be REAL shit storm here.  I'm sure there are lots of people who planned entire vacations around the Italy run.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Holy hell, this would be REAL shit storm here.  I'm sure there are lots of people who planned entire vacations around the Italy run.
    If I was in Italy and pj canceled their show I d take one breathe and realize that I am still in freaking Italy. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JB245247JB245247 Posts: 6
    Get well soon, Ed. Take your time, health is first.

Travelled from Spain, annual holidays, expensive shitty hostel in London, tickets only for the second night... A bit sad at first but it doesn't matter because PJ is not about one night, because your music never, NEVER let me down.

I would come back again and again. 
    Lisbon 2006, Lisbon 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Belfast 2010, Dublin 2010, Milan 2014, Trieste 2014
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,181
    I traveled from Canada for the two London shows and the first two in Italy.  I understand the situation and am glad London 1 still happened.  It would be appreciated if they had a more transparent comment about the status of Italy.  I assume they don't know the answer.  In my opinion they shouldn't say expected to resume if they don't know.  They should say a decision will be made closer to the time if that's the true status. They should also offer refunds for anyone that doesn't want the further risk.  There are considerable incremental travel costs for Italy that can somewhat be avoided now that can't a day from now.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Smellyman said:
    BS44325 said:
    I'm willing to fill in for Ed on the Prague, Krakow, Berlin stretch as necessary
    Nobody wants Bill O' Reilley to fill in.

This was funny lol
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    If I was a traveler I would be concerned/planning for more postponements 
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Rest up Ed....hope you feel better soon. And I am sorry for all who traveled from great distance to get to the show tonight...
    Thanks man.

Yeah rest up Ed. We know that you would never have postponed if you did not have to. 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    tbergs said:
    Damn! Ed's voice needs to get better. The world needs more good Pearl Jam music. It seems odd, but the only worry I've ever had with this band is if/when the voice gives out. Almost 30 years of what he's been doing is amazing. Rest and recover Ed! 
    For sure....
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    mcgruff10 said:
    If I was in Italy and pj canceled their show I d take one breathe and realize that I am still in freaking Italy. 
    Easier said than done. I've seen PJ 80 times and each show is like a bookmark in my life. If Barcelona gets canceled, I'll live but I'll still be disappointed that the experience didn't happen. People should appreciate what they have but also have the right to be disappointed. 

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Sure hope Ed gets better soon. It may not be the flu, but could be laryngitis, and that should heal up in three days or so. (although I'm no doctor!)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    Earlier this year i had a cold and didnt rest. It went into pnumonia, then a sinus infection and devolved into a double ear infection. Three rounds of antibiotics and three months later I fonally got better. 

I should have rested instead of pushing myself. I hope Ed is doing the same or else the rest of the tour will be jeopardy.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.