Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited June 2018
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.
    unsung said:
    They made the choice to come here illegally so don't whine that when they do so they have to deal with the consequences. 
    Which is it, abuse or no abuse?

Would you like the ability to burn a human out or castrate them if they break the law? International law has forbidden these kinds of cruel acts because there are some universal standards representing basic human decency (hence no expanding bullets, waterboarding, etc.). We agree about the illegal nature of illegal immigrantion (fucking duh), but I don't understand why that provides a country with carte blanche to pick the 'consequences' with zero restrictions. 
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Stop separating kids from their parents ! 
    Simple as that...
    Stop trying to invade the country.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.
    Let me take your 5 year old child by force and throw them in a cage without you knowing where they are, then talk to me about abuse, tough guy

People like you are giving America a bad name, you should be ashamed

You have zero empathy, for anyone, and its disgusting 
    Not true.  I have empathy for the taxpayers that have to fund this mess.

HA
    How about the 20 billion dollars your president wants us to pay for an idiotic wall....after promising he would convince Mexico to foot the bill for 2 years? How about the 2 trillion dollars their tax plan adds to our deficit?

Is this guy for real?

You are a hypocritical mess...

I much prefer the prison sentences.  Cool story though.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    I just read this story and I want to ask a question.

They paid $7000 to be smuggled to the US.

Why can't someone just buy a round trip plane ticket and say they are visiting and just not leave?  It should cost about a quarter of the $2000 for the plane tickets?  

• Options
    dignin said:

‘At Least During the Internment …’ Are Words I Thought I’d Never Utter

I was sent to a camp at just five years old — but even then, they didn't separate children from families  

GEORGE TAKEI

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/06/19/at-least-during-the-internment-are-words-i-thought-id-never-utter-family-separation-children-border/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    Was that the liberal icon FDR internment camp?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.
    Let me take your 5 year old child by force and throw them in a cage without you knowing where they are, then talk to me about abuse, tough guy

HA
    How about the 20 billion dollars your president wants us to pay for an idiotic wall....after promising he would convince Mexico to foot the bill for 2 years? How about the 2 trillion dollars their tax plan adds to our deficit?

Is this guy for real?

Seriously, Fraud Libertarian, why do you suddenly care about the taxpayers footing the bill when it comes to this but turn a blind eye to two trillion dollars for the tax bill and 20 billion dollars for the wall?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

Why can't someone just buy a round trip plane ticket and say they are visiting and just not leave?  It should cost about a quarter of the $2000 for the plane tickets?  

I would imagine for anonymity. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601

No passports? Lack of access to an airport? No idea.  I have always assumed that folks flying in and never leaving was the main mode of illegal immigration though, which is part of the reason I find the border wall so stupid.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877

That's actually a pretty damn good point.  Maybe it is difficult to get a passport in these countries?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    I'd like to look a little further at some solutions here.  Smellyman already made a good point so I'll start with that.

1.  Legalize, decriminalize drugs.  Not just marijuana, all drugs.  People are going to use or not use wither way.  This is well known.
    2.  Educate our own population, especially the voting public so they have a better understanding of government and will make better choices.  Trump was not a good choice (this is also well known).  Poor politicians (or, worse, non-politicians in high office are going to fuck things up... and things are really fucked up. 
    3.  Stop spending as many billions of dollars on military offense, maintain a good military defense, and use some of the money saved to increased humanitarian aid.  If we help other countries to be come more stable and healthy (what we obviously need to do here as well), they will not have so many refugees.
    4.  Stop complaining about undocumented field workers if your own people won't do the work.  Almost no one here wants to do that kind of work (I did for two long summers- I know what it is like.) Many California farmers backed Trump and now they are complaining about losing workers.  Admit it, U.S. farming relies on illegal workers.  Stop being so hypocritical.  And most of all, stop exploiting undocumented field workers.  Most are basically indentured servants doing difficult, often dangerous, backbreaking work and field hands are regularly overworked.  We treat these people like shit  AND take away their children?  I call bullshit.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.

HA

Is this guy for real?

Seriously, Fraud Libertarian, why do you suddenly care about the taxpayers footing the bill when it comes to this but turn a blind eye to two trillion dollars for the tax bill and 20 billion dollars for the wall?
    It's cool, I'll repeat myself.  I prefer to put the business owners in jail.  Thanks.
  • Options
    So I'll ask again because of #4.

These are people coming to harvest?  Geez, why didn't you say so.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    mcgruff10 said:

That's actually a pretty damn good point.  Maybe it is difficult to get a passport in these countries?  
    It's all about the Visas no visa no entry most of these countries don't give them out to Pedro the grape picker but if your a person with lot's of money they get them no problem you know why ? because their government know they will be back they are not coming here to stay they are well off they don't need our stinking $$$$ but the peasents do !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.

HA

Is this guy for real?

It's cool, I'll repeat myself.  I prefer to put the business owners in jail.  Thanks.
    Meanwhile, you're cool with putting children in cages
  • Options
    unsung said:

we all know it's not just fruit picking. it's all low wage slave labour. why do you keep harping on obvious and useless points?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    No, I prefer not letting them cross in the first place.

But since they are here now some sort of control should be in place to organize them.  Or do you prefer a free release in the hot desert?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    They made the choice to come here illegally so don't whine that when they do so they have to deal with the consequences. 
    seeking asylum is not illegal. crossing the border between ports is. separating family members is not "the consequences" as laid out in any law. it is the policy of this piece of shit admin to try to scare illegals from coming, and to strong arm congress into giving him funding for his racist wall. 
    LOL, how can a device be racist? Geez I have heard it all.

Put business owners that hire them in prison.  Case closed.  Problem solved.
    And how Is illegal racist?  Illegal isn’t a race. 
    who said using the term illegal is racist?
    There is/was a movement to call illegals "undocumented" instead and wanted to say the term "illegals" was racist.  It was a thing and I believe it still is.
    Correct.
    Hugh, I blame businesses the most because they hire illegal immigrants all the time. Are there any penalties/fines for businesses who hire illegal immigrants?
    lol yeah please tell me how many americans wanna go and pick grapes or peaches or apples or work for any american farmers , why do you think the American california farmers hire these people ? because no americans wanna go and do that manual labor go ahead tell us how many kids you know who wanna go work the fields ....
    I did as did many of my friends when I was in high school.  It was one of the only ways of getting a little spending money in the rural community I grew up in.
    Cheap labor is kind of a crappy reason for supporting illegal immigration in my opinion.  

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    unsung said:

we all know it's not just fruit picking. it's all low wage slave labour. why do you keep harping on obvious and useless points?
    Because he's trying to defend the undefendable , stop separating kids from their parents !
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Leader dehumanizes a people.

Leader blames those people. (job loss, sucking money from economy, rape, drugs, crime)

Base starts to believe. (already did really)

They are the reason for our failure or country declining.

Get state TV (Fox, Breitbart, etc. , and all radio talk shows) to spew propaganda regardless of facts or reason.

Base believes they are the reason for their troubles.

Implement policy that starts rounding them up with declaration from Sessions (Goebbles)

Get Law Enforcement to comply and that is the right thing to do.

Put them in camps in cages (or walls with chain link fences)

Not similar to 1938 at all.

Comparing us now to Nazi Germany is a joke.  Please stop.

The comparison has been made and it's legitimate.

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes... not repeat them. The holocaust started with baby steps and mutated into something grotesque. Sarajevo had just hosted the Olympics before bursting into a horrific civil war.

Stop the downward spiral at the outset. Don't wait for shit to hit the fan and be one of those freaking idiots asking, "What happened?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    unsung said:
    No, I prefer not letting them cross in the first place.

But since they are here now some sort of control should be in place to organize them.  Or do you prefer a free release in the hot desert?
    Oh come on man, we rely on these people as slave labor.  We don't want them here?  That's bullshit.  Do you have any idea what would happen in the U.S. if all undocumented workers suddenly vanished*?  Let's be realistic here.

*In fact, I think a movie was made based on that premise. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

unsung said:
    Stop separating kids from their parents ! 
    Simple as that...
    Stop trying to invade the country.
    Stop acting like you give a fuck about taxpayers. Stop having no compassion. Stop having no empathy.  Stop having no sympathy. Stop having no morals. Stop having no ethics. Stop pretending like imaginary lines on the earth are your personal property. Stop acting like the only human being that matters is yourself. Stop supporting Trump. Stop lying to yourself about supporting Trump.

Cool story, though. (Not really.)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    seeking asylum is not illegal. crossing the border between ports is. separating family members is not "the consequences" as laid out in any law. it is the policy of this piece of shit admin to try to scare illegals from coming, and to strong arm congress into giving him funding for his racist wall. 

There is/was a movement to call illegals "undocumented" instead and wanted to say the term "illegals" was racist.  It was a thing and I believe it still is.
    Correct.
    Hugh, I blame businesses the most because they hire illegal immigrants all the time. Are there any penalties/fines for businesses who hire illegal immigrants?
    lol yeah please tell me how many americans wanna go and pick grapes or peaches or apples or work for any american farmers , why do you think the American california farmers hire these people ? because no americans wanna go and do that manual labor go ahead tell us how many kids you know who wanna go work the fields ....
    I did as did many of my friends when I was in high school.  It was one of the only ways of getting a little spending money in the rural community I grew up in.
    Cheap labor is kind of a crappy reason for supporting illegal immigration in my opinion.  

Yeah key word did yrs ago how about today why aren't american kids working the fields ...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Most definitely eating some delicious tacos and barbacoa made by undocumented (and in one case very vocal and outspoken) immigrants this weekend.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.

HA

Is this guy for real?

I actually kinda think that spending the money on the wall would be cheaper in the long run than prosecuting thousands upon thousands of people and putting the kids up to stay in warehouses every year.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Correct.

Yeah key word did yrs ago how about today why aren't american kids working the fields ...
    Still know plenty of kiddos from my hometown that do that kind of work due to the lack of other jobs there.  We’re not all “city boys”, lol
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.

HA

Is this guy for real?

I actually kinda think that spending the money on the wall would be cheaper in the long run than prosecuting thousands upon thousands of people and putting the kids up to stay in warehouses every year.

Really? You think this zero tolerance policy is going to continue on a yearly basis?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Smellyman said:

Leader blames those people. (job loss, sucking money from economy, rape, drugs, crime)

Get state TV (Fox, Breitbart, etc. , and all radio talk shows) to spew propaganda regardless of facts or reason.

Implement policy that starts rounding them up with declaration from Sessions (Goebbles)

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes... not repeat them. The holocaust started with baby steps and mutated into something grotesque. Sarajevo had just hosted the Olympics before bursting into a horrific civil war.

Stop the downward spiral at the outset. Don't wait for shit to hit the fan and be one of those freaking idiots asking, "What happened?"

This is what my wife is yelling at me lately. We are both libs, but I'm getting more conservative on immigration as gang issues get worse here in the NYC metro area.

The child separation situation is horrific, but if I were to commit a crime, I'm sure I'd be separated from my child.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

This is what my wife is yelling at me lately. We are both libs, but I'm getting more conservative on immigration as gang issues get worse here in the NYC metro area.

The child separation situation is horrific, but if I were to commit a crime, I'm sure I'd be separated from my child.
    BUT YOUR CHILD WOULD NOT BE DETAINED. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.

HA

Is this guy for real?

Really? You think this zero tolerance policy is going to continue on a yearly basis?
    I have no idea.  Let’s say they remove the zero tolerance- they still have war torn countries and cartels forcing people out of their countries for safety and ending up here.  Look at Europe, most of those countries bordering the type of countries have walls/fences/etc. and prosecute & throw people out who try to come in. But it can’t be cheap.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    So do you all think that anyone should be able to enter the country without being stopped? Should everyone be able to travel freely across all borders?