Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    They just did 31 songs twice in SA. Eddie also did it numerous times in the 2017 solo tour. I do not think this is the norm at all or maybe that is just me and wishful thinking. If they do this whole tour and nothing breaks 30 then ya they are definitely shifting that way. I remember going to Worcester 2 and people were complaining how short that show was. 29 songs I think. Also the ballpark shows are going to pass 30 songs every show. No way they cut back on those. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,868
    edited June 2018
    Definitely voice stuff. 

Not sure why Ed didn't stop smoking twenty five years ago, but that's his choice and these are his consequences. 
    Well alot of people don't quit smoking. It's not a lightswitch that you just turn off.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    How concerned should I be about Ed's voice issues in regards to Rome concert....did it seem like this could derail the tour?  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Riot Act is amazing for an artist with throat problems - JUST SAYING!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Definitely voice stuff. 

Not sure why Ed didn't stop smoking twenty five years ago, but that's his choice and these are his consequences. 
    Well alot of people don't quit smoking. It's not a lightswitch that you just turn off.
    No, but when you have every type of therapy at your disposal, and it threatens to ruin your career, it does seem like an odd choice.  

I've no idea how he's going to get through tonight's show, I bet he's working hard on that setlist as we speak!
    Definitely voice stuff. 

No, but when you have every type of therapy at your disposal, and it threatens to ruin your career, it does seem like an odd choice.  

I've no idea how he's going to get through tonight's show, I bet he's working hard on that setlist as we speak!
    Netflix and zero talking is my guess. Haha.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    How concerned should I be about Ed's voice issues in regards to Rome concert....did it seem like this could derail the tour?  
    Sounds like he just has a cold.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    I bet the stadium shows will go over 30 songs. 

With 40,000 people paying a good chunk of change, you can put on your big boy pants and play five more songs.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • dingersdingers Posts: 76
    It's an awkward one for sure as yes we are still getting good length sets but; when there is no support act it's a tough price point 
    Reading Festival 2006, London O2 2009, Leeds 2014, MK 2014, EV Solo London 1 2017, London 02 1 & 2 2018, Boston 1 & 2 2018.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    Show tonight postponed to mid-July.  Feel horrible for the band.  Hope Eddie can recover by the rest of the shows.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited June 2018
    I’m reading a lot of “get rid of RITFW” in recent posts. I’ll gladly take Rockin’ over that bullshit Yellow Ledbetter any day!

apox on thee! FIVE SHOWS AND NO Y-LED!

dyers gettin upset! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    i guess this will kinda have to be the new normal to avoid this happening again?  
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    nycrats said:
    i guess this will kinda have to be the new normal to avoid this happening again?  
    That depends I guess... on what the problem is? Which we don't know. How would this "not happen again" if it's a cold that caused it etc.

I mean, he's been sick etc before on tours...
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    I was at both Amsterdam shows and did not leave disappointed.  A few extra songs would have been nice but I did not feel the fewer songs took away from the quality of the show.

As for jamming, I can only think of a few of their songs with extended jamming that really add to the song performance. Rearviewmirror comes to mind.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Mike mentioned this in a Rolling Stone interview in 2016 and ever since then I’ve felt it was inevitable. His health and Ed’s vocal issues will almost certainly make this the new norm IMO. 

I love the long shows and I will miss them if they’re gone only because we’ve been conditioned to expect something amazing and epic every night and they almost always deliver on that. But 27 songs is still great and if it’s 27 songs with less covers then I’m all for it. Except Love Reign because I’ve yet to hear that one.

Here’s Mike’s quote from RS:

“We did have a meeting about this before the last tour. We said, "Let's think about maybe cutting the set down a little bit. We're all getting a bit older. Let's try to make it a little more concise." But that meeting went right out the window as it always does, and we're back to doing these two and a half hour, three hour, shows. I think we just get really pumped up from the crowd. And the set does go by really quickly. You're like, "Oh yeah, we're already on that second encore that's longer than the first set." It just happens very quickly. We have a lot of songs. The reasoning is, "Well, let's keep playing."

But there's definitely times I'd rather just play for two hours. My back would agree with that. But it never seems to happen. I think Ed gets into it and we just follow his lead.”

Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
    Mike mentioned this in a Rolling Stone interview in 2016 and ever since then I’ve felt it was inevitable. His health and Ed’s vocal issues will almost certainly make this the new norm IMO. 

I love the long shows and I will miss them if they’re gone only because we’ve been conditioned to expect something amazing and epic every night and they almost always deliver on that. But 27 songs is still great and if it’s 27 songs with less covers then I’m all for it. Except Love Reign because I’ve yet to hear that one.

“We did have a meeting about this before the last tour. We said, "Let's think about maybe cutting the set down a little bit. We're all getting a bit older. Let's try to make it a little more concise." But that meeting went right out the window as it always does, and we're back to doing these two and a half hour, three hour, shows. I think we just get really pumped up from the crowd. And the set does go by really quickly. You're like, "Oh yeah, we're already on that second encore that's longer than the first set." It just happens very quickly. We have a lot of songs. The reasoning is, "Well, let's keep playing."

But there's definitely times I'd rather just play for two hours. My back would agree with that. But it never seems to happen. I think Ed gets into it and we just follow his lead.”

2 hours I'd be happy with from any band. Unfortunately for them, fortunately for us, they have created this monster, and it's going to be difficult to scale it back. 

or keep it a 2.5 and do a sit down acoustic 20 minutes mid-set. but that would also piss off a lot of people. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    I would kill for a sit down acoustic set.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited June 2018

2 hours I'd be happy with from any band. Unfortunately for them, fortunately for us, they have created this monster, and it's going to be difficult to scale it back. 

or keep it a 2.5 and do a sit down acoustic 20 minutes mid-set. but that would also piss off a lot of people. 
    I like that idea, they sort of tried to do that 2013 when those 3 hour shows became the norm, but some say it's a momentum killer. 

10c is a mad entitled group that's getting harder to please by the day.   

Where's my single? Where's the new record?  Ole SUCKS! Beyonce? Seriously?   the show isn't long enough!  BLAH BLAH BLAH.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Focus your energy on something CONSTRUCTIVE.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    Tiki said:

I like that idea, they sort of tried to do that 2013 when those 3 hour shows became the norm, but some say it's a momentum killer. 

10c is a mad entitled group that's getting harder to please by the day.   

Where's my single? the show isn't long enough!  BLAH BLAH BLAH.
    it was most likely a momentum killer because of the expectation. as expectations change, so does the reaction. I had this conversation wth the lead singer of the Headstones when they put out their acoustic record, when I asked why they didn't tour it. He said the fans have come to expect high-octane supercharged punk rock, and they'd all riot if it was a sit down affair. My take is, you educate your fanbase on exactly what they are buying, and you have little to no issue. sure, you're going to get the odd Even Bro shouting "PLAY PORCH!" at an Ed solo show, but that's 1 out of 1500, so it's not that bad. 

I don't think entitlement is just a 10c problem. 

fan passion +/- band output/activity = fan satisfaction/disappointment

the single is always an annoying/polarizing issue. It wasn't such a big deal when the band was putting out new material every couple years. But now, with getting an album every 5 years plus, people get antsy about new/unreleased music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Impossible to scale back entitlements. Or what is that cliche thing US politicans and panel-people say on CNN.
    If they scale back, I hope they bring back opening bands.
    Impossible to scale back entitlements. Or what is that cliche thing US politicans and panel-people say on CNN.
    I don't think you need opening bands. maybe have 20 minute intermission at some point. but opening bands are always cool too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Come out and do a 30 minute acoustic. Then a regular 2 hour show. 
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

teskeinc said:
    Come out and do a 30 minute acoustic. Then a regular 2 hour show. 
    This is too obvious not to do.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I’m reading a lot of “get rid of RITFW” in recent posts. I’ll gladly take Rockin’ over that bullshit Yellow Ledbetter any day!

Ledbetter is 100% pure, unadulterated garbage.

DYERS GETTIN' UPSET
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I am sad that there will be no setlist thread to follow today.............

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Is it necessary to work politics into every thread? We get you don’t like the US but can you save that stuff for AMT?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore