Options

2018 Euro Merch

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    I don’t think the posters are bad.  Art is subjective.  But I think people prefer when there is a direct or subtle connection to the city where the show is played.  Anything too out of the box seems to get panned. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2018
    vant0037 said:
    Any of these posters - probably framed, matted and hung - can look incredible. That’s art 101. Frankly, most people (PJ fans in particular) don’t display their stuff correctly, because it’s expensive or they don’t have an eye for matting etc or because they hang it next to five other things that don’t compliment it or because its being displayed in a Michael’s poster binder in a closet etc.  I’ve gone through those threads where people post pictures of their PJ prints framed and hung and all I can say is...yuck.  Lots of gutless black frame jobs hung over shitty home office desk furniture.  Yeah, of course it looks bad.

These prints aren’t my personal favorites but I could see someone doing something awesome with them.

Friendly rant over!
    You can't put lipstick on a pig.  These posters are poor
    And I am arguing the opposite.  Centuries of art and hundreds of art galleries do just that and it works.  There are entire art school curriculums that would argue the opposite too.  Art is made, in most cases to be displayed. If it is displayed poorly, it will affect the viewer’s appreciation of it.  Quality of content matters, but so does context.  Diminishing one will diminish the other.

The point is: black frame white matting like so many people put their prints in?  Yep, its deficiencies will stand out.  Someone with an eye for framing and display could improve just about any picture.

Agree to disagree.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    vant0037 said:
    js261067 said:
    nalyd61 said:
    Too many critics.  Don’t like it? dont buy it.  
    Moving along B)
    Doesn't work like that.  Hanging the poster is an intrinsic part of attending a PJ show and I'll buy and hang it even if it is shit.  but that then means I look at a shit poster every day.  When the poster is amazing it adds to the whole experience.  

Uh, I think you mean to say “Hanging a poster is a part of MY concert experience.”  Reread your statement.  No one is forcing you to buy the shit poster...except you.  Don’t let a poster ruin the show for you.

And, like I said in another post, if you must have it, fork over the dough and get it framed really well.
    Ok, ' MY' experience.  But don't forget,  PJ visit the UK every 4 years or so and I only buy the posters to gigs I go to,  so getting a shit poster for one of those gigs DOES hurt.  Flipside is I missed out on the Hammersmith Mumford because it was a good poster and the bulk buying flippers were out in force.

• Options
    Are these the official posters? What's the significance of some of these, such as the first one with the goddess-type woman?
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    Are these the official posters? What's the significance of some of these, such as the first one with the goddess-type woman?
    The problem, in my opinion, is that rock posters in general are detached from the show itself. 

the fusion of the artists together with that specific show (geographically, date wise etc) is what interests me.

Just getting some guy who's amazing at drawing crows, do draw a crow and throw Pearl Jam on top off it is quite boring to me. Or atlest, a missed opportunity.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,999
    The problem, in my opinion, is that rock posters in general are detached from the show itself. 

the fusion of the artists together with that specific show (geographically, date wise etc) is what interests me.

Just getting some guy who's amazing at drawing crows, do draw a crow and throw Pearl Jam on top off it is quite boring to me. Or atlest, a missed opportunity.

Well said. 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Maybe this is all for a reason.....
  • Options
    yesterdays Spiritual_Chaos said:

^^^this.  Yesterdays poster WAS the o2 Arena,  it had elements of the planetarium and even if it wasn't the prettiest.  it was relevant.

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    nalyd61 said:
    Too many critics.  Don’t like it? dont buy it.  
    Moving along B)
    Ok. They are all fantastic 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Of the Girl as an opener yesterday!  Nice.

So the keychain has been the only cool thing so far as of merch?
  • Options

I enjoy a tshirt or two... 

Hyperbole in this thread. 

But the stickers and animal-eye-things arent too exciting. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,745

Going crossed eyed looking at that one. 
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Hope the double eyed animal theme is abandoned by the time the US shows start
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,919
    The fireball shirt is the only piece of merch that I’ve liked so far. Posters have been meh. All the 4 eyed animal merch has been ugly. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985

I enjoy a tshirt or two... 

Hyperbole in this thread. 

But the stickers and animal-eye-things arent too exciting. 
    Hyperbole?  Have you seen the stuff?
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    Does anyone have an Amsterdam lion shirt they’d like to sell? Size Large. Let me know thanks!
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    One poster per person today
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Fina-fucking-lly (although I doubt you'll have any trouble with flippers on this one  lol)
  • Options

True. The artwork is awesome but for me since ‘98, maybe 2000, the posters don’t really say “gig poster”. It’s a piece of artwork with Pearl Jam on it. Some are better than others but they don’t really look like concert posters. You can’t deny the talent of the artists but something is missing. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,337
    Big if true. 1 per person is how it should be so that it keeps posters, at least initially, in the hands of those who went to the show. Maybe a system of 1 per person before/during show and then open it up to 2 per person once it's over? Might be a happy medium. I know a lot of people pick up a spare for a friend or someone arriving late but the reality is that most people buying 2 are looking to use it as trade bait.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    Man I feel bad for the flippers. Nothing really taking the community by storm yet. Looks like low resale value so far. Lol. 
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I really don't like modern day gig posters for the most part.  I miss the flat, simple style of the 96-2006 era.  When they actually looked like gig posters and full-blown illustrations.

EDIT: *NOT* full-blown illustrations

Id Like to see Dan Stiles do some. His style is a little more old school gig poster-ie.
    I just  looked him up.  Yes, I dig his style.  Looks like he's done some work for some PJ-related artists, too.  I see some Sleater-Kinney, Petty, Midlake, Gaslight Anthem in there.

@HesCalledDyer
    Another Artist that you might like for a PJ print is Rob Schwater.  http://tinybirdpress.storenvy.com/

I'd Dig It.

• Options

True. The artwork is awesome but for me since ‘98, maybe 2000, the posters don’t really say “gig poster”. It’s a piece of artwork with Pearl Jam on it. Some are better than others but they don’t really look like concert posters. You can’t deny the talent of the artists but something is missing. 
    I don't really know what constitutes a gig poster, if not artwork with a band name on it. Haha. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    vant0037 said:
    Any of these posters - probably framed, matted and hung - can look incredible. That’s art 101. Frankly, most people (PJ fans in particular) don’t display their stuff correctly, because it’s expensive or they don’t have an eye for matting etc or because they hang it next to five other things that don’t compliment it or because its being displayed in a Michael’s poster binder in a closet etc.  I’ve gone through those threads where people post pictures of their PJ prints framed and hung and all I can say is...yuck.  Lots of gutless black frame jobs hung over shitty home office desk furniture.  Yeah, of course it looks bad.

These prints aren’t my personal favorites but I could see someone doing something awesome with them.

Friendly rant over!
    Gutless...shitty....would hate to see what a non friendly rant looks like.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I don't really know what constitutes a gig poster, if not artwork with a band name on it. Haha. 
    Like you said though it seems these modern era posters look like a random piece of artwork with Pearl Jam slapped on it. Awesome illustrations but no real connection to the city or the band. Maybe simple is better. If you look at the posters from the late nineties, early 2000’s they were much simpler in design but in my opinion much cooler. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,745
    Going to be cool to see what Domaradzki has in store if he gets the Krakow show. From the area and has some really cool looking movie posters. 
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Hope the double eyed animal theme is abandoned by the time the US shows start
    Doubt it, he did it for SA so im sure the same.

• Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 694
    edited June 2018
    Show postponed/canceled!
  • Options
    I heard Alessandro Locchi is doing the poster for Rome this year. His ‘96 Rome poster is still one of my top 10. 
    ...........and Evelyn