We must have a better system to deal with 10c ticket exchanges / refunds

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727
    tl238413 said:
    So my last concert was in Denver several years ago... 4 tickets, rafters behind the stage...couldn’t see shit. Wasted money flying to Denver, hotel room, etc, etc.  had I known in advance about how shitty the tickets would be...I never would have purchased them.

Now I buy tickets to Missoula show months in advance, but as the time draws near, other stuff has come up in my life and I can’t attend. But now I’m stuck with tickets that I can’t even give away, much less sell for face face value.

An observation about human nature... when you’re fighting the man, everything is chill and very much done with what’s best for the people in mind... yet when you become the Man, the crown of Pompous Dickhead seems to fit better on the newly crowned than it did on the deposed.

At least with Ticketmaster you could see what you were buying beforehand and you could give the tickets away!!!

There is a better way to handle this  problem. Is there a perfect way? No.
    But continuing to fuck over loyal fans is not an acceptable alternative to the current “you don’t know where your tickets are before you buy them” and “you can’t get rid of the tickets once you buy them” system. 

This system sucks and Pearl Jam, if you think you’re better than Ticketmaster with this approach, you are sadly mistaken. 

You can sell one of your tickets and give away another back to the community for free. You seem to be angry about the situation but have no solutions that would not allow rampant abuse with 10 club tickets. In a perfect scenario everyone that has legitimate reasons to miss the show would get a refund and the tickets would go to another fan. In our world people would take advantage of that every way imaginable. The rules are crystal clear when we put in for tickets. If you do not agree with those rules do not put in. I am not a 10 club defender on everything but this I will defend until someone mentions to me away that works for everyone without random Joe abusing the shit out of the new method. 
  • tl238413tl238413 Posts: 5
    What’s the better system....

Paying over face value (free market) for a ticket where you know the ticket location and you know you’re going to walk into the concert once the money changes hands ...

Or buying a ticket from 10 club...months in advance, no clue where you’ll be seated and unable to sell, much less give away, the these tickets if you need to...

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    tl238413 said:

Paying over face value (free market) for a ticket where you know the ticket location and you know you’re going to walk into the concert once the money changes hands ...

Or buying a ticket from 10 club...months in advance, no clue where you’ll be seated and unable to sell, much less give away, the these tickets if you need to...

for me......... it would be 10club without doubt. have good seniority.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited June 2018
    I have to agree that putting any fanclub members up in the rafters is absolute bullshit, especially when you pay the same price as people in the best seats.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    tl238413 said:
    So my last concert was in Denver several years ago... 4 tickets, rafters behind the stage...couldn’t see shit. Wasted money flying to Denver, hotel room, etc, etc.  had I known in advance about how shitty the tickets would be...I never would have purchased them.

Now I buy tickets to Missoula show months in advance, but as the time draws near, other stuff has come up in my life and I can’t attend. But now I’m stuck with tickets that I can’t even give away, much less sell for face face value.

An observation about human nature... when you’re fighting the man, everything is chill and very much done with what’s best for the people in mind... yet when you become the Man, the crown of Pompous Dickhead seems to fit better on the newly crowned than it did on the deposed.

At least with Ticketmaster you could see what you were buying beforehand and you could give the tickets away!!!

But continuing to fuck over loyal fans is not an acceptable alternative to the current “you don’t know where your tickets are before you buy them” and “you can’t get rid of the tickets once you buy them” system. 

This system sucks and Pearl Jam, if you think you’re better than Ticketmaster with this approach, you are sadly mistaken. 

Are you blaming 10 club for your seat location in Denver?
    Cause if you had 4 shitty seats in rafters behind the stage, they were not 10 club tix as you can only buy 2 and they wouldn't be behind the stage. So not knowing where the seats were would be on you if they were bought through regular sale.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Poncier said:
    tl238413 said:

Are you blaming 10 club for your seat location in Denver?
    Cause if you had 4 shitty seats in rafters behind the stage, they were not 10 club tix as you can only buy 2 and they wouldn't be behind the stage. So not knowing where the seats were would be on you if they were bought through regular sale.

yeah. that doesn't sound like 10club seats.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Again, I dont think the 10c or band is trying to be mean and/or lazy.

Its a balance of keeping a fair and equitable ticketing system, along with making it very difficult for scalpers to get their hands on and re-sell 10c tickets.  

The hardest part is actually the first part. We are a very fanatical and adaptive bunch.  People will probe and find weaknesses in a given ticketing system, and leverage that in their favor.  Some, just to get tickets for their show.... others, to obtain many tickets, extras, to trade off or sell to be able to attend any show they want in a premier seating location.  Give us slack and we (collectively) will create a hole the size of the Grand Canyon.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417
    Look at the fiasco we have with people hoarding posters and merch and then flipping it.  Does anyone honestly want to see rules relaxed and people turning fan club tickets into that nightmare?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

As 10Club members, the amount of tickets purchased can be monitored and rationed by PJ. The number of times we have to “sell” tickets can also be monitored....and the price can be set at face value. 

Given all this, it seems very reasonable to think that 10Club and the community could come up with a “market” for these transactions to take place when you’d like to sell or give away tickets. 

Yes, there are jackasses who would try and find a way to game the system. But clearly there is a need for a better system than what is currently in place...a system that is as draconian as that of the airline industry. 
    Is that really the standard we’re shooting for here?

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have to agree that putting any fanclub members up in the rafters is absolute bullshit, especially when you pay the same price as people in the best seats.
    There’s no way his ten club tickets were in the rafters and behind the stage. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    There’s no way his ten club tickets were in the rafters and behind the stage. 
    Why not? I've heard of 10C seats being super bad plenty of times. And it happened again with these baseball stadium shows. People way up in the 400 level seats paid the same as the people in the pit did. I think that's wrong.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I will leave whether I purchased nosebleec seats through 10Club or not to those more well versed in 10Club matters...they were nosebleed, behind the stage seats. Why sell those to begin with?

What this whole discussion is bringing back to me is the memory of listening to EV (a multi-millionaire) and head of a multi-million dollar enterprise talk about wastefulness, corporations, governments and rich people take advantage of others...while I’m sitting in nosebleed, behind the stage seats...???...

And now all I really want to do is give away two seats to a concert that I can’t attend. 

Lesson learned. 

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,352
    tl238413 said:
    I will leave whether I purchased nosebleec seats through 10Club or not to those more well versed in 10Club matters...they were nosebleed, behind the stage seats. Why sell those to begin with?

What this whole discussion is bringing back to me is the memory of listening to EV (a multi-millionaire) and head of a multi-million dollar enterprise talk about wastefulness, corporations, governments and rich people take advantage of others...while I’m sitting in nosebleed, behind the stage seats...???...

And now all I really want to do is give away two seats to a concert that I can’t attend. 

Lesson learned. 

If you want to give them away, email Ten Club and tell them you'd like to do that.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    tl238413 said:

It seems as though purchasing through 10c didn't work for you for Denver and despite feeling that your seats were bad and that you wasted money, you went 10c again.  Once again, 10c tickets aren't a good fit for your situation. Perhaps buying through a ticketing agency and not through a fanclub who only sells tickets periodically might be a better fit for you. 

Frustrations as they be, selling tickets is not an everyday gig for PJ as it is for TM. It is a fanclub convenience and history has unfortunately dictated how they need to write their own ticketing policy.  

I'm sorry for your frustrations, but maybe 10c just isn't the proper fit for your ticket needs.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    I would have killed to have been at that Denver show. Any fucking seat in the house please with Shaq in front of me. That is a killer boot. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    tl238413 said:

Lesson learned. 

Based on the seat location and quantity, it doesn't sound like you had 10C tickets.  In regards to questioning why they'd sell those seats, didn't you have the option of seeing the seat location before you bought the seats?
    PJNB said:
    I would have killed to have been at that Denver show. Any fucking seat in the house please with Shaq in front of me. That is a killer boot. 
    I get this thinking - I am simply a strong believer in tiered pricing. ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    Does that really only apply to the Home and Away shows though for NA? I think most of their arena shows the prices are the same for all seats in the house no? It does suck for me with a high number in Fenway paying the same as the front row but I am in the building and not paying second hand prices. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Did 10c sell sets of 4 for a Denver show?
    MayDay10 said:
    Did 10c sell sets of 4 for a Denver show?
    Nope
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,470
    edited June 2018
    It is not complicated. No refunds. No transfers. Don't like it don't buy. Caveat Emptor. The 10C went out of their way to explain it one more time for these shows.

The idea behind this policy is not to screw you out of money but to make sure the seats get filled by 10C members that CAN GO TO THE CONCERT.  By hedging you deny tickets to someone that can go and the 10c is not down with that.  It has nothing to do with how easy it may be to transfer tickets.

Emergencies come up, life happens.  But is it worth the price of 10C tickets to deal with life?  I think so.  If you cant afford to lose the money then don't buy the tickets!
    Post edited by Get_Right on
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    Does that really only apply to the Home and Away shows though for NA? I think most of their arena shows the prices are the same for all seats in the house no? It does suck for me with a high number in Fenway paying the same as the front row but I am in the building and not paying second hand prices. 
    No, it doesn't only apply for this year's NA shows. The prices are always the same no matter where the seats are (and seats cost the same as the pit too), and I've heard lots of people report that their 10C seats sucked.
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    No, it doesn't only apply for this year's NA shows. The prices are always the same no matter where the seats are (and seats cost the same as the pit too), and I've heard lots of people report that their 10C seats sucked.
    Ya I get that the high number seats as myself get shitty seats but we are still in the building. I was just saying about the tiered pricing that I think most shows in NA have the same price for the public sale throughout the venue. With the ballpark shows they actually have different tiered price levels so it does hurt that I may be in the noise bleeds at front seat prices but once again I am in the building. Also I believe GA was more in price by a little bit. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    lolobugg said:
    tl238413 said:

for me......... it would be 10club without doubt. have good seniority.
    I agree with the distinguished gentleman from the Blue Ridge Mountains!
    I was supposed to go on a class trip to the Statue of Liberty in 3rd grade but I had the chicken pox and couldn’t go.  My grammar school offered no refund and did not allow me to exchange my ticket with another student who could have gone in my place. I had put a lot of planning into this trip. My mom got me some cool snacks and I had a can of soda that I wrapped in tin foil to keep it cold. I wrote a letter to my principal letting her know the system was unacceptable and needed to be changed. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    I was supposed to go on a class trip to the Statue of Liberty in 3rd grade but I had the chicken pox and couldn’t go.  My grammar school offered no refund and did not allow me to exchange my ticket with another student who could have gone in my place. I had put a lot of planning into this trip. My mom got me some cool snacks and I had a can of soda that I wrapped in tin foil to keep it cold. I wrote a letter to my principal letting her know the system was unacceptable and needed to be changed. 
    :lol:
    on2legs said:
    Extra points for the use of "tin foil." :rofl:
    deadendp said:
    on2legs said:
    Extra points for the use of "tin foil." :rofl:
    The use of tin foil on a can of soda in the fridge automatically signals to everyone else in the family: hands off... this soda is for a class trip!

^^ Don't forget the layer of paper towel in between for insulation!  
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    tl238413 said:

You know a big a part of the reason you got shitty behind the stage tickets was because people can sell the tickets bought from TM right?   Scalpers scoop them all up, which makes it difficult for fans to get good tickets.  The whole reason you're angry is because of that.   Yet you condone that system saying its better.

I've been to hundreds of concerts over the past 20 years (PJ and otherwise).   There's only been a handful of shows I had to ditch because if illness, emergency, or an exam.   I'd glady eat a pair every 4 or 5 years, to keep tickets out of the hands of resellers.

I'm perfectly happy with the way 10c is doing things (Except for the fact I'd like a hard copy ticket for my collection).   It has a huge impact on scalping, and is keeps other members from gaming the system.    I feel I'm pretty level in my arguments, and have criticized the 10c where I thought it was due.   The current process of getting all the best tickets and making it a pain in the ass to sell/trade them.  I love it and I'm all for it.