Options

Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    I don’t mind shorter sets.... IF they bring opening bands back.  
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    mcgruff10 said: moo
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    I'll say it. Oh wait, I have many times. Porch is over done and kills the momentum.
    What don't you like about the song? Lyrics? The riffs? Predictable jam?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    I'll say it. Oh wait, I have many times. Porch is over done and kills the momentum.
    Eddie swinging on a specially prepped light like he's Paul Stanley or Beyonce perheps.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Yeah, Porch is terrible.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    Eddie swinging on a specially prepped light like he's Paul Stanley or Beyonce perheps.

Yeah that was pretty bad in 2013.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    So dangerous!!!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    MEK42 said:
    I'm seeing PJ for the FIRST TIME in Seattle (both shows) and I'm unbelievably excited but I keep hearing stuff about Ed's voice not being as good and it's really worrying me :( 
    Won't matter in the room.
    Exactly. I recall, for example, Eddie killing (in a good way) "Do The Evolution" during the Buffalo 2013 show. When I listened to the bootleg  few months later, Eddie really did kill it - but in a bad way.

In the end, however, it doesn't really matter how it sounds on the bootleg. Live shows are for people who are there. The bootlegs are a special bonus.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    ALL I KNOW IS THAT PJ SHOULD END THEIR SHOWS WITH EVENFLOW.

It's a win-win for "fans" and average concert goer.
    for about the last 10 years I've thought Even Flow being moved to the encore would breathe a new life into the song.  i'd agree would love it more towards the end. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    pjhawks said:

for about the last 10 years I've thought Even Flow being moved to the encore would breathe a new life into the song.  i'd agree would love it more towards the end. 
    Swap Porch and Evenflow. That would be a perfect switch. While they're at it, swap RVM and Alive, remove RITFW from almost every show (make 1:5 ratio), use a No Code song as the pre-closing song (rotating Smile, In My Tree, RM or PT), incorporate Parting Ways, All or None and Immortality in to a revolving closer role with YL (all can be extended and jammed out to end the show) and lastly, play more Lost Dogs tracks!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:

Swap Porch and Evenflow. That would be a perfect switch. While they're at it, swap RVM and Alive, remove RITFW from almost every show (make 1:5 ratio), use a No Code song as the pre-closing song (rotating Smile, In My Tree, RM or PT), incorporate Parting Ways, All or None and Immortality in to a revolving closer role with YL (all can be extended and jammed out to end the show) and lastly, play more Lost Dogs tracks!
    I like it. 
    I like it a lot. 
  • Options
    InBetweenIsMneInBetweenIsMne Posts: 423
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:

Yes and more yes! This is good stuff here, I’d be all for it!
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    Maybe this is the answer as to why?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  

Yeah that was pretty bad in 2013.
    It really was. Almost painful, definitely embarrassing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,797
    rummy said:
    MEK42 said:
    I'm seeing PJ for the FIRST TIME in Seattle (both shows) and I'm unbelievably excited but I keep hearing stuff about Ed's voice not being as good and it's really worrying me :( 
    Exactly. I recall, for example, Eddie killing (in a good way) "Do The Evolution" during the Buffalo 2013 show. When I listened to the bootleg  few months later, Eddie really did kill it - but in a bad way.

In the end, however, it doesn't really matter how it sounds on the bootleg. Live shows are for people who are there. The bootlegs are a special bonus.
    I always wondered if Eddie was under the weather at the Buffalo 2013.  During "Evolution" it sounded like he was trying to catch his breath.  That has always been my opinion. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,746
    D-Rod said:
    rummy said:
    MEK42 said:

I always wondered if Eddie was under the weather at the Buffalo 2013.  During "Evolution" it sounded like he was trying to catch his breath.  That has always been my opinion. 
    If he was he was sick twice in a very short time. He was fine Worcester 1 and sick Worcester 2. Buffalo was right before Worcester I believe. 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,797
    PJNB said:
    D-Rod said:
    rummy said:
    MEK42 said:

If he was he was sick twice in a very short time. He was fine Worcester 1 and sick Worcester 2. Buffalo was right before Worcester I believe. 
    that is correct. They went Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Worcester 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 568
    We have been spoiled and I want to keep being spoiled.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I’m reading a lot of “get rid of RITFW” in recent posts. I’ll gladly take Rockin’ over that bullshit Yellow Ledbetter any day!

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Kearn5y said:
    my2hands said:
    I love watching PJ fans lie to themselves and argue for shorter shows, they know they are full of shit lol
    Probably very true
    Nah, I think 2.25 hours is a perfect amount of time for the average show, but maybe because that is when I mentally check out when the last 6 songs are all greatest hits.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

I think long songs played every night (RVM, Porch, Better Man, Alive, Black) wear on people's nerves that go to a lot of shows or listen to a lot of boots.   Better Man is like 3 minutes of boredom to get to the end which is awesome (SIFL tag). 

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    So another 27 song less than 2 and a half hours 
    no curfew mentioned but some flu/voice talk. The wait wil continue to see what’s in store and if this is the new norm. 

And yes agree that the songs mentioned like gtf alive porch ritfw dte etc make for a more predictable show. if those 8-10 are played every night, and they’re playing 8-10 less songs a night, the lesser played gems get rarer and more spread out and the shows start to feel similar
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    2.5 hrs is a long ass show folks.  Thats getting your money’s worth and then some. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I’m reading a lot of “get rid of RITFW” in recent posts. I’ll gladly take Rockin’ over that bullshit Yellow Ledbetter any day!

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    nycrats said:
    So another 27 song less than 2 and a half hours 
    no curfew mentioned but some flu/voice talk. The wait wil continue to see what’s in store and if this is the new norm. 

And yes agree that the songs mentioned like gtf alive porch ritfw dte etc make for a more predictable show. if those 8-10 are played every night, and they’re playing 8-10 less songs a night, the lesser played gems get rarer and more spread out and the shows start to feel similar
    They should just have a pool of their famous songs and mix up what they pick from that pool.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited June 2018
    Over the last 2 years Ed's voice has really gone downhill, especially over the last year. He is very out of breath and always behind the song. Also just can't hit notes.I understand this is age and he still smokes etc so I get it but it's a fact his voice isn't good anymore. However now on this tour as he said he saw the throat doctor, perhaps he has been struggling with problems in recent times and now its getting bad. But this is the reason for the shorter shows most definitely. Rest of the guys are fine.

On the other hand, the first show back in what over 1 year was Santiago and they literally played just over 3 hours so :-S
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    Definitely voice stuff. 

Not sure why Ed didn't stop smoking twenty five years ago, but that's his choice and these are his consequences. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    HesCalledDyer said: loop

This! This, so hard.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    edited June 2018
    We are so spoiled, most of rock shows don't last more than 1,5 hour and we are complaining for 2,5 hours shows with completely different setlists every night. Pearl Jam is one of the best if not the best live act in the world.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    I really hope he takes care of his voice. I know each tour there seems to be at least 1-2 shows where he is under the weather, so hopefully this is just a small blip.  But seeing a couple throat doctors could be reason for concern, IMO.  Would hate to see shows get postponed because of it.  

No more back to back shows, but still lots of travel.  Rest up!!
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,626
    edited June 2018
    I think there will still be a surprise marathon show once in a great while when the band is feeling it or if it’s a special one off evenT.

but I absolutely think this 26 song 2:15-2:30 show set is the new normal, and I think It’s what we will see from here on out, including the US stadium shows this fall

as others have said, it’s impossible to stop aging, and the smoking has definitely played a role.  He’s got every right in the world to smoke cigarettes, but with choices come consequences 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II