Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Sent to me by an FB friend:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Well trump fucked this up.  He’s gotta stop this, it’s obviously outrageous to do this to children.  Get them back to their parents and send them all back.  Does he think he’s going to get wall money or something by running with this?  If he doesn’t fix this today after the weekend of news about it I’m not sure I’m going to be able to suppprt him anymore.  I thought about it a lot this weekend and I can forgive stupid tweets but this is just inhumane. 
    I commend you bro  i know its been a tough situation for all involved when  it comes to supporting this man , this situation has just been handle terribly , thanks for your honesty ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    So are you saying the Jews were criminals like the border crossers?
    unsung said:
    lol hell yeah that's it that's what he's saying ...
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Apples and oranges then.
    unsung said:
    Apples and oranges then.
    Rotten fruit is rotten fruit.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Apples and oranges then.
    White nationalists are white supremacists.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    unsung said:
    Criminals?  What law are they breaking?  Last I checked it wasn't illegal to seek asylum.  What are they gonna do, come here and "steal" the jobs no US citizen wants in the first place?  Be a tax "burden"?  This country fucking runs on Mexican labor; they've probably done exponentially more for our economy than the average white american could muster.
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Apples and oranges then.
    White nationalists are white supremacists.
    Yes, and they're sickly fearful and in denial of the fact that they live in a world of many colors.  They live in fear, filled with an anger that has no meaning.  They are one endangered species that most of us will not miss. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:
    there is nothing criminal about border crossing. you've been duped again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/crime-enter-illegally.html

Whether it’s by crossing the U.S. border with a "coyote" or buying a fake U.S. passport, a foreign national who enters the U.S. illegally can be both convicted of a crime and held responsible for a civil violation under the U.S. immigration laws. Illegal entry also carries consequences for anyone who might later attempt to apply for a green card or other immigration benefit. 

The penalties and consequences get progressively more severe if a person enters illegally more than once, or enters illegally after an order of removal (deportation) or having been convicted of an aggravated felony. 

What Is Illegal Entry?

The immigration law actually uses the term "improper entry," which has a broad meaning. It’s more than just slipping across the U.S. border at an unguarded point. Improper entry can include:

• entering or attempting to enter the United States at any time or place other than one designated by U.S. immigration officers (in other words, away from a border inspection point or other port of entry)
    • eluding examination or inspection by U.S. immigration officers (people have tried everything from digging tunnels to hiding in the trunk of a friend’s car)
    • attempting to enter or obtain entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or willful concealment of a material fact (which might include, for example, lying on a visa application or buying a false green card or other entry document).

(See Title 8, Section 1325 of the U.S. Code (U.S.C.), or Section 275 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) for the exact statutory language - www.uscis.gov/laws/immigration-and-nationality-act.)

Criminal Penalties

For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both.  For a subsequent offense, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, I.N.A. Section 275.)

But just in case that isn’t enough to deter illegal entrants, a separate section of the law adds penalties for reentry (or attempted reentry) in cases where the person  had been convicted of certain types of crimes and thus removed (deported) from the U.S.,  as follows:

(1) People removed for a conviction of three or more misdemeanors involving drugs, crimes against the person, or both, or a felony (other than an aggravated felony), shall be fined, imprisoned for up to ten years, or both.

(2) People removed for a conviction of an aggravated felony shall be fined, imprisoned for up to 20 years, or both.

(3) People who were excluded or removed from the United States for security reasons shall be fined, and imprisoned for up to ten years, which sentence shall not run concurrently with any other sentence.

(4) Nonviolent offenders who were removed from the United States before their prison sentence was up  shall be fined, imprisoned for up to ten years, or both.

What’s more, someone deported before a prison sentence was complete may be incarcerated for the remainder of the sentence of imprisonment, without any reduction for parole or supervised release. 

(See 8 U.S.C. Section 1326, I.N.A. Section 276.)

Civil Penalties

Entry (or attempted entry) at a place other than one designated by immigration officers carries additional civil penalties. The amount is at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or  twice that amount if the illegal entrant has been previously fined a civil penalty for the same violation. (See 8 U.S.C.  Section 1325, I.N.A. Section 275.)

Immigration Consequences of an Improper Entry

A person who comes to the US without permission of the immigration authorities is inadmissible. To learn more about inadmissibility, see Who Can't Get Into The United States?

In practice, that usually means that if the person became eligible for a green card or other immigration status, he or she would be ineligible to adjust status within the United States. By leaving the U.S. and applying from overseas, the inadmissibility problem could be solved – unless the person had already stayed in the U.S. for six months or more without a right to be there. In that case, he or she would run into a separate ground of inadmissibility, based on "unlawful presence" in the United States. (For more on how that affects your possibilities of obtaining a green card, see Legal Options for an Undocumented Immigrant to Stay in the U.S.

If a person was removed from the U.S. (deported) on the basis of a conviction for an aggravated felony (other than illegal entry or reentry), then the improper entry itself is considered to be an aggravated felony.  (See 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(O).) Having one of more aggravated felonies on one’s record is a huge problem, because aggravated felonies bar a person from virtually all immigration benefits, and are a grounds of deportability (under 8 U.S.C. 1227, I.N.A. Section 237).

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    fair enough. appears I was duped. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    unsung said:
    Yes that  is exactly what I am saying. 
    Because the half of my family that was forcefully removed from theirs homes, herded onto cattle cars, taken to the camps,  separated from each other, then walked into the "showers" and then shoveled into mass graves were all criminals.

I should've known that a person who believes in "white genocide" would be smart enough to figure it out.
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    Just think about it while you or I are at work there’s thousands of kids missing their parents , yeah I know it’s their fault for trying to come here illegally but the penalty does not fit the crime ..have a great work week and know our taxes are paying for this mess and they are running out of space to house these kids this administration is looking for places to store them ....fuck you Baffoon & Sessions !
    You realize the immigration crackdown started back in 1997. This country has already been doing this for years. It's terrible that children are being seperated from their parents. I know there's a lot of hardworking people that are being deported that are here due to the crime and poverty in their countries. I hope the process for re-entry can be speeded up for those families. Now for the low life criminals that are getting deported that are doing harm to our country, good riddence. If children are being seperated from a criminal parent as sad as that is, it's just like a child being seperated from a parent who has to do time in prison for a crime. I hope it changes and they help parents that deserve help with becoming legal so they're not be seperated from their children. I hope people entering this country won't expect to get assistance that isn't available to the citizens of this country. You're welcome here if you plan on working and paying taxes. Don't come here and immediately expect a free ride. 
    https://www.huffingtonpost/2014/06/25/parents-deportation_n_5531552.html
    There are lots of articles on the web that talk about the inmigration laws since 1997
    ann coulter tells Trump via fox news ""These child actors weeping and crying on all the other networks 24/7 right now: Do not fall for it, Mr. President," Coulter said.

another piece of absolute shit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Just think about it while you or I are at work there’s thousands of kids missing their parents , yeah I know it’s their fault for trying to come here illegally but the penalty does not fit the crime ..have a great work week and know our taxes are paying for this mess and they are running out of space to house these kids this administration is looking for places to store them ....fuck you Baffoon & Sessions !
    You realize the immigration crackdown started back in 1997. This country has already been doing this for years. It's terrible that children are being seperated from their parents. I know there's a lot of hardworking people that are being deported that are here due to the crime and poverty in their countries. I hope the process for re-entry can be speeded up for those families. Now for the low life criminals that are getting deported that are doing harm to our country, good riddence. If children are being seperated from a criminal parent as sad as that is, it's just like a child being seperated from a parent who has to do time in prison for a crime. I hope it changes and they help parents that deserve help with becoming legal so they're not be seperated from their children. I hope people entering this country won't expect to get assistance that isn't available to the citizens of this country. You're welcome here if you plan on working and paying taxes. Don't come here and immediately expect a free ride. 
    There are lots of articles on the web that talk about the inmigration laws since 1997
    Then why all the outcry from everyone if this is so normal ?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

Put pressure on the countries where these folks are coming from with sanctions , that’s the crux of the situation most if not all of the countries in Central America have terrible governance at the top so people have to flee ..what else can we attribute this situation too, so no I don’t have the answer on how to send them back or where too ..
    I understand where you're coming from, but sanctions usually only make things even worse for the citizens of those countries, which would lead to more people fleeing, not fewer. Sanctions are definitely not the answer.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Two other items of information I just learned this morning. 

First, Stephen Miller is the author and main proponent of the “zero tolerance” policy, including the component of separating children from their families. He called it “an easy decision to make”. Is anyone surprised that this creep is responsible?

Second, Trump’s administration is alone in treating all unauthorized border crossing as a criminal offence rather than a civil matter, even when the individuals have claimed asylum due to fear of persecution if they return to their home communities. No exceptions. This is inhumane. 
    It's absolutely disgusting. And to use this tactic as a deterrent against desperate people; It is just completely morally repugnant. Obviously those leading America could not care less about America being a moral leader in the world. They have chosen to go the completely opposite direction, straight to hell.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    ann coulter tells Trump via fox news ""These child actors weeping and crying on all the other networks 24/7 right now: Do not fall for it, Mr. President," Coulter said.

another piece of absolute shit. 
    Ann Coulter could be the biggest piece of shit ever. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Seeking Asylum has never been a crime, Apparently it is now... if you're poor. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

unsung said:
    Because the half of my family that was forcefully removed from theirs homes, herded onto cattle cars, taken to the camps,  separated from each other, then walked into the "showers" and then shoveled into mass graves were all criminals.

I should've known that a person who believes in "white genocide" would be smart enough to figure it out.

And clearly you don't see the difference, nobody is rounding up those crossing the southern border out of their homes.  So yeah the comparison is ridiculous.
    More to drain the already limited resources.  Squeeze that rock.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I'm all for Trump's hard-stance on ILLEGAL immigration. But separating kids from their parents is ridiculous. Just deport the kid with the parent. What's so hard about that? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I'm all for Trump's hard-stance on ILLEGAL immigration. But separating kids from their parents is ridiculous. Just deport the kid with the parent. What's so hard about that? 
    Because he wants hostages so he can get his wall built.
    edited June 2018
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

And clearly you don't see the difference, nobody is rounding up those crossing the southern border out of their homes.  So yeah the comparison is ridiculous.
    Well, they are also rounding up people out of their homes (and from their places of employment) in the United States - that's what those community ICE raids are.
    But the point is that parents and children are being separated and the kids are being kept in what are essentially prisons and are being irreparably harmed by the US government. And no, the comparison is not ridiculous. The Nazis took kids away from their parents without telling them when they'd see each other again, and then warehousing the children, and the US government is doing the exact same thing. That is an apt comparison. Just because the US isn't then murdering them all doesn't mean comparisons can't still be made.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    dignin said:
    Exactly.  Doers of evil always have a motive.

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,205
    dignin said:
     :o 
    edited June 2018
    dignin said:
     :o 
    It's 100% true, and they've readily explained that is exactly what they're doing (along with imprisoning children as a deterrent for asylum seekers). It's totally shocking, yes. The other very disturbing factor is that we have to decide how we feel about the Dems either folding to the demand or not. I personally choose NOT. I have heard other suggest they think the Dems should cave into the hostage takers' demands. That seems like a big mistake to me, but I understand why people think that, given the circumstances.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    Then why all the outcry from everyone if this is so normal ?
    It's not normal in my book but the liberal media love the ratings and the politicians who have been lining their pockets for years and don't like not running the country like politicians do, are out to go back to their old ways. They are flat out lying if they try to say they weren't already doing this. I can't wait until congress gets the two term limit imposed by the way.  The bs that Nancy  Bush is saying about how horrible it is...I guess she wasn't paying attention to what was going on when her husband was in office. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Well, they are also rounding up people out of their homes (and from their places of employment) in the United States - that's what those community ICE raids are.
    But the point is that parents and children are being separated and the kids are being kept in what are essentially prisons and are being irreparably harmed by the US government. And no, the comparison is not ridiculous. The Nazis took kids away from their parents without telling them when they'd see each other again, and then warehousing the children, and the US government is doing the exact same thing. That is an apt comparison. Just because the US isn't then murdering them all doesn't mean comparisons can't still be made.
    By all means continue to minimize the murder of 6M.