Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,789
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:
    Call me kooky, but I'll take as much PJ as I can get and prefer 30+ song 3+ hour shows... but of course that's just me, a kooky PJ fan that knows their entire catalog backwards. One of the aforementioned "freaks", if you will (Albany 2006)

Its labeled as an "Evening with Pearl Jam" and they only play about 15 shows per year??? because of these things, I hope 3 hour shows remain the standard

I have to agree with this. if they were still playing 60 shows a year then I could understand cutting it back.

I will honestly be disappointed if they don't hit at least 30 songs for the American Ballpark shows. These shows feel more like destinations than just a regular tour.

Also, if they start trimming the set.... the chance of hearing rarities diminish substantially.

and sorry to sound like a whiny bitch, but after 30+ shows, I would rather hear Hold On rather than Betterman.

Agreed. I think @lolobugg and @my2hands are spot on. I like the fact that the band doesn't do an extensive tour, but at least they are doing some kind of tour on a yearly basis. Taking the fact that they are not doing 60+ shows a tour into consideration, I like to see as much of the band as possible at any show I am at. And it couldn't have been said better, the shorter the setlists the smaller the chances of catching the rarities  and white whales that everybody chases. 
    I hate this fucking white-whale "crossing of songs off a list bullshit". Fuck how small or big the chances of rarites are. 

The tenclubbers in front of me in Sthlm 2014 looking AT THEIR PHONES through put the show except for when they played Gardenm, Better Things and All those yesterdays - because they could cross things off on that iphone app they were talking about and looking at before the show started. Fuck 'em.

And they were wearing backpacks to a concert. 

Fuck people crossing off songs off a checklist and especially wearing backpacks. Lack of empathy for other people.

It's cool having songs you want to hear and falling in love with "obscure" songs. But all this "I got one song left to finish off Vitalogy" shit. I can't stand it. 

And man, Dirty Livin' is such a groovy song. I wanna know what Mike thinks about Dynasty. Anyone has any insight? ...anyone?
    Total amatures!!!!!!!!!! I have my list memorized.  Who needs the I phone app.  I do carry a backpack however.  Like Stone I need to take my old man pills if the show goes beyond 11pm.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    D-Rod said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:
    Call me kooky, but I'll take as much PJ as I can get and prefer 30+ song 3+ hour shows... but of course that's just me, a kooky PJ fan that knows their entire catalog backwards. One of the aforementioned "freaks", if you will (Albany 2006)

Its labeled as an "Evening with Pearl Jam" and they only play about 15 shows per year??? because of these things, I hope 3 hour shows remain the standard

I have to agree with this. if they were still playing 60 shows a year then I could understand cutting it back.

I will honestly be disappointed if they don't hit at least 30 songs for the American Ballpark shows. These shows feel more like destinations than just a regular tour.

Also, if they start trimming the set.... the chance of hearing rarities diminish substantially.

and sorry to sound like a whiny bitch, but after 30+ shows, I would rather hear Hold On rather than Betterman.

Agreed. I think @lolobugg and @my2hands are spot on. I like the fact that the band doesn't do an extensive tour, but at least they are doing some kind of tour on a yearly basis. Taking the fact that they are not doing 60+ shows a tour into consideration, I like to see as much of the band as possible at any show I am at. And it couldn't have been said better, the shorter the setlists the smaller the chances of catching the rarities  and white whales that everybody chases. 
    I hate this fucking white-whale "crossing of songs off a list bullshit". Fuck how small or big the chances of rarites are. 

The tenclubbers in front of me in Sthlm 2014 looking AT THEIR PHONES through put the show except for when they played Gardenm, Better Things and All those yesterdays - because they could cross things off on that iphone app they were talking about and looking at before the show started. Fuck 'em.

Fuck people crossing off songs off a checklist and especially wearing backpacks. Lack of empathy for other people.

It's cool having songs you want to hear and falling in love with "obscure" songs. But all this "I got one song left to finish off Vitalogy" shit. I can't stand it. 

And man, Dirty Livin' is such a groovy song. I wanna know what Mike thinks about Dynasty. Anyone has any insight? ...anyone?
    Total amatures!!!!!!!!!! I have my list memorized.  Who needs the I phone app.  I do carry a backpack however.  Like Stone I need to take my old man pills if the show goes beyond 11pm.  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • KevMac20KevMac20 Oakville, Ontario Posts: 56
    Number of songs is irrelevant.  What is important and what makes this band so great live is that each concert is a great unknown with what the setlist is going to be.  I love talking with ten clubbers before the show wondering what the first song is going to be and stuff like that.  I only prefer seeing setlist that are always different.  It seems to me that they have become a little predictable and have like a 2-3 concert rotation now and don't dive into a lot other songs beyond that.  Mind Your Manners being played at every show is a bit crazy...same with Lightning Bolt.  They should play those songs 2 or 3 times total over the European tour.  The first two shows of Amsterdam were great and I loved the start of Pinkpop.  I just want to keep seeing shows every night that are different from previous nights and where they play 5-6 they haven't played in a while.  I am very happy to see Red Mosquito and Glorified G so far this tour.  Would love to see these in Prague, Krakow or Berlin along with Satan's Bed and Fatal.

"Don't it make you Smile"

1996: Zurich
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Toronto
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener, London, Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: EV - Toronto 2
    2009: Toronto, Philadelphia 3 (The Spectrum)
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV - Chicago 2, PJ20 (Alpine Valley) 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Hamilton
    2013: London, Chicago (Wrigley Field), Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston (Fenway Park) 2
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Chicago (Wrigley Field) 1 & 2, Boston (Fenway Park) 
    2022: Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    mcgruff10 said: moo
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    I'll say it. Oh wait, I have many times. Porch is over done and kills the momentum.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    I was at both Amsterdam shows and they did feel shorter. Hopefully London will be back to 30+ songs.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    I'll say it. Oh wait, I have many times. Porch is over done and kills the momentum.
    Let's be honest, it kills the momentum for people who have seen pearl jam one too many times.  I am also guilty of the same thing for songs like alive.  People are singing their asses off and going nuts and I'm secretly wishing for immortality lol.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Quality over Quantity.  Ramones never played a 3 hour show and their shows were always amazing.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    JB128716 said:
    Quality over Quantity.  Ramones never played a 3 hour show and their shows were always amazing.
    I will take quality and quantity... and PJ usually brings both to the table

With the best band on the planet, it doesn't have to be either/or, they are very capable of providing both
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I love watching PJ fans lie to themselves and argue for shorter shows, they know they are full of shit lol
  • release00release00 Posts: 342
    edited June 2018
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I hear ya. Don't get me misunderstood,  I am not the type that particularly chases songs just to cross them off a list or to complete an album. The songs that I have been chasing are songs that I genuinely love and want to see and hear them performed live. I want to take it all in at the moment hearing and seeing them perform it live. And I couldn't agree with you more about the fans on their phones during the show, be present in the moment. I have never nor will I ever take my phone out during a show, don't care if they are playing Evenflow or RVM or any song we know that we are guaranteed to get on any given night. Take that 1 picture or 2 for the moment, and then take it all in. 

I would like to say that I don't chase songs.... but I was def guilty of chasing "Hard to Imagine" in 1998.

Added an extra show to the tour because I just had a "feeling" that they were gonna play it and they did.

I was hooked after that!

Been lucky to catch this one a few times and couldn't agree more with you. Hell of a song to catch live. My favorite performance of mine to date is when they opened with HTI Boston 2008 night 1. Blew the amphitheater away. We already knew the kind of night we were in for at that moment. 

such a cool opener. got it again in Chicago 2009.

i think the thing that makes PJ such an exciting live band is that they don't just roll out the greatest hits.

These last 3 shows overall seemed to be just a average fan's dream.  i am anything but an average fan.

I was there for both shows in Chicago 2009 as well. Both those shows blew the roof off the arena IMO. I thought they came strong those both nights. But yes, for the most part we are all more than just the average fan here. 
    These 09 Chicago shows are two of my most favorite shows ever
    Post edited by release00 on
    "So much it dont show"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,731
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    Let's be honest, it kills the momentum for people who have seen pearl jam one too many times.  I am also guilty of the same thing for songs like alive.  People are singing their asses off and going nuts and I'm secretly wishing for immortality lol.  

Hell yeah! And for momentum killers look no further then Just Breathe/Last Kiss/Sirens. Way overplayed for the type of song that they are. Bring on All or None, Fatal, Parting Ways and on and on instead. Also Porch as a momentum killer is a crazy comment imo. Ya it is played every show but it ends a set with a quiet period after anyways. It is not like it is thrown in the middle of a show like Evenflow is and Porch does a great job of ending sets imo. 
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,691
    my2hands said:
    I love watching PJ fans lie to themselves and argue for shorter shows, they know they are full of shit lol
    Probably very true
    Kearnsy
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    WTF? Less Porch?
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  
    WTF? Less Porch?
    Yes. Way less porch.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  

I've never been that big a fan of porch. Also big momentum killers and songs I've never really liked Black and Sirens. 

• Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    2 Hours 20 minutes is plenty of time for an amazing show and better than most bands, but i’m Not gonna lie, I’d prefer a 3 hour show. The biggest sadness I have over a shorter show is the songs that don’t make the setlist. Shorter set doesn’t mean we miss Given to Fly, or Do the Evolution, or Evenflow, Small Town etc. Shorter set means less chance of hearing Tremor Christ, Push me pull me, All those Yesterdays etc. Some seriously deep cuts that occasionally came out in the last few tours. Having said that I’ll still happily take whatever they give me, cause I know they’ll be giving it their everything and that’s all we can really hope for.
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  

Hell yeah! And for momentum killers look no further then Just Breathe/Last Kiss/Sirens. Way overplayed for the type of song that they are. Bring on All or None, Fatal, Parting Ways and on and on instead. Also Porch as a momentum killer is a crazy comment imo. Ya it is played every show but it ends a set with a quiet period after anyways. It is not like it is thrown in the middle of a show like Evenflow is and Porch does a great job of ending sets imo. 
    Fully agree. 
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I was at AMS 2.  I am not a scoreboard watcher and honestly did not notice it, until I got in here.

It was a great fucking show. 
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    mcgruff10 said:
    There can't be that many shows where they have played more than 3 hours. Maybe two dozen?
    My memory is that they’ve been playing 3 hoursnin select cities for a very long time.
    living in San Diego for a long time I remember getting 30+ songs at a little over 3 hours for a long time. So I think there’s more than 2 dozen.
  • MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
    I'm seeing PJ for the FIRST TIME in Seattle (both shows) and I'm unbelievably excited but I keep hearing stuff about Ed's voice not being as good and it's really worrying me :( 
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    MEK42 said:
    I'm seeing PJ for the FIRST TIME in Seattle (both shows) and I'm unbelievably excited but I keep hearing stuff about Ed's voice not being as good and it's really worrying me :( 
    NONSENSE
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,518
    MEK42 said:

People have been saying that for years and he still sounds great.  No, he doesn't sound the same as when he was 27 but his voice still rocks even if he can't hit all the notes all of the time like years past.  Plus, there will be a month of rest between the shows in Europe and the home shows.  Nothing to worry about.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,695
    my2hands said:
    Absolutely. You took the words right out of my mouth. 
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    my2hands said:
    Facts! 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    MEK42 said:

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Live shows are not the same as albums, not even the same as listening to boots. There will be missed notes and fuck ups and forgotten lyrics and rough bits and it will all be absolutely awesome. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    MEK42 said:
    It’s not as bad as some make it out to be, but he definitely struggles with certain lyrics here and there. Oftenreading hit the nail on the head. You’ll highly enjoy the shows, don’t worry about a few strained notes.
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  

You just mentioned three of their biggest hits though. 

Tough songs to cut. 

Sirens is still fresh for me, wouldn't have a problem hearing it again :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,731
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    LukinAtU said:
    Less Porch
    Said no one ever.  

You just mentioned three of their biggest hits though. 

Tough songs to cut. 

Sirens is still fresh for me, wouldn't have a problem hearing it again :)
    They have their place in the set for sure and their popularity is not in question but the amount of times these are played is the issue I have and the fact that they really are love or hate songs. I am not knocking people that like those songs it just feels like the life gets sucked out of the room when I hear them. 
    ALL I KNOW IS THAT PJ SHOULD END THEIR SHOWS WITH EVENFLOW.

It's a win-win for "fans" and average concert goer.
    MEK42 said:
    Won't matter in the room.